DECADE by BirdieFire

QMany

On 9/2/2021 at 9:20 PM, golfortennis said:

I have no idea, but do RBs not matter, or do RBs no longer matter because the rules have changed to favor passing much more than in the past?  

The analytics people may be taking one on the chin in baseball, as they were the ones who pushed for the minor leagues to be shrunk, and it's causing some pretty big player development problems.  I typically support the analytics approach, but there are times it's overdone/done wrong.  (Notwithstanding the fact they seem to have made baseball completely unwatchable).   This may be one of them.

Getting back on topic, it is funny to still hear people talk as though being closer to the hole is not better.  If you are not in real trouble, how does it not improve your chances when that is what happens at the pro level?  

I follow NFL analytics fairly closely. I don't think anyone would say that RB don't matter. More so that the marginal benefit of RB A over RB B isn't worth a lot of capital and probably not worth what it would have been worth in the past. Think of it as WAR for football. RB can be replaced easier and with less disruption than any other position on the field.

20 minutes ago, BigManSlim said:

I follow NFL analytics fairly closely. I don't think anyone would say that RB don't matter. More so that the marginal benefit of RB A over RB B isn't worth a lot of capital and probably not worth what it would have been worth in the past. Think of it as WAR for football. RB can be replaced easier and with less disruption than any other position on the field.

Yeah not sure if it was in this thread, I had made that exact point.  It's a salary cap world.  

2 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Yeah not sure if it was in this thread, I had made that exact point.  It's a salary cap world.  

On 9/10/2021 at 6:09 PM, golfortennis said:

I don't disagree with what you are saying. I think there are two points I would bring up:  at the NFL level, guys like you mentioned are likely weeded out, to the point that while you do have a few standouts, there is a certain level of "performance" you can expect from any RB good enough to be a roster.  To put it in baseball terms, anyone good enough to make a major league roster is going to put up some numbers given enough plate appearances.  While Mike Trout hits 45 home runs, a replacement player would likely hit 15 given 600 PAs.  I would think given the same number of carries behind the same offensive line, most RBs are going to put up a fairly similar level of performance.

The other part is, in a salary cap world, is it better to get a top level RB(and pay commensurately for it), or is it better to save on RB and spend it elsewhere.  I haven't followed much so I'll use some older names, but is it better to pay Ladanian Tomlinson $7 million for his production(say 1,500 yards and 300 yds catching), or pay $2 million to an average RB who can get 800-900 yards rushing and a few receiving yards, and put that $5 million to use somewhere else.

Back to the Trout scenario, yes 30 more home runs is great, but it comes at a cost of likely $25 million more than what you pay replacement.  Where is the balance?  

Not saying you should or shouldn't pay Trout, or Tomlinson, I'm just saying when there are scarce resources, what is the most efficient way to use them to achieve success? 

Playing my first round on a course where I'm trusting the new target selection program on Saturday... we will see how it go.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Does anyone have a table that shows expected score from the fairway from various yardages? I have my SG app but I'm trying to prove something to someone who doesn't believe that...lol. 

Essentially I have argued that tour players expected score is roughly 3.0 from 165....he thinks it's 2.75...lol

Comical I know but want to show him out of his depth he is.

Thanks in advance.

42 minutes ago, BigManSlim said:

Does anyone have a table that shows expected score from the fairway from various yardages? I have my SG app but I'm trying to prove something to someone who doesn't believe that...lol. 

Essentially I have argued that tour players expected score is roughly 3.0 from 165....he thinks it's 2.75...lol

Thanks in advance.

That is the DECADE card within the app. There is a picture of it on his IG (inside Zalatoris' yardage book). But you are correct, ~165 is where the expected SG is around 3.0.

2.75 is 80 yards

Edited by Krt22

18 hours ago, BigManSlim said:

Thanks in advance.

Average strokes to hole out by distance. Taken from the book 'every shot counts' by Mark Broadie.

20211104_172051370_iOS.jpg.de80c8c4542a8a09b8fc4bb925f37f32.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I'm looking at getting DECADE for this season and I was curious if the strokes gained data can be cut more finely than "off the tee" or "approach".  For example, I'm curious if I can get strokes gained for approaches from 80-125 yards to know if my wedge play is a weakness?  Also, does it allow you to record which direction a miss was?  If there is documentation I can read on this, I'd love to see it but there doesn't seem to be much on Scott's website other than high level summaries.  Thanks!

Yes it splits strokes gained down. It shows 50-75, 75-100, 100-150, 150-200 and 200-230. It also breaks down short game into 10 yard increments out to 50 yards. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

What's everyone doing for round entry?

For whatever reason I was under the impression that "GPS entry" was actually using the phone GPS. Turns out it's not (as far as I can tell). It seems buggy/unusable on my iPhone. The browser is okay, but I can't get 3 putts to show up (max two).

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

3 hours ago, RCGA said:

What's everyone doing for round entry?

For whatever reason I was under the impression that "GPS entry" was actually using the phone GPS. Turns out it's not (as far as I can tell). It seems buggy/unusable on my iPhone. The browser is okay, but I can't get 3 putts to show up (max two).

I have to enter manually on the site.  The app hasn’t worked in months.  It will freeze somewhere mid stream.  Updated etc. no dice.   I didn’t even know there was a gps option. Lol. Have no idea on that. 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

App works for me. It freezes up sometimes but I just obsessively save each hole as I go and then it allows me to go back where I left off. It isn’t the easiest thing in the world, but it also isn’t a ton of work for the benefit of getting a true strokes gained sense of my game. It has been enlightening. 

Edited by LeftDaddy

On 1/17/2022 at 1:56 PM, ThinkingPlus said:

DECADE question of the week; what club should Russell Henley have used off the tee on the 2022 Sony Open playoff hole (18)?

Interested to see the opinions here myself. ^ 

also question for anyone willing to share or help.  In decade. Driver selection % stat.  What does your stat say ?  I’m at 53.56% and it shows “ not comparative “  over in the column for comparing to different skill levels. Any insight as to what a good stat there will be ?  Obviously that’s too low ( I’m guessing ).  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Interested to see the opinions here myself. ^ 

also question for anyone willing to share or help.  In decade. Driver selection % stat.  What does your stat say ?  I’m at 53.56% and it shows “ not comparative “  over in the column for comparing to different skill levels. Any insight as to what a good stat there will be ?  Obviously that’s too low ( I’m guessing ).  

Depends where you're playing, but if you follow the decision tree, that would be pretty low. Mine is at 80.49% and I'm pretty good at following the decision tree. If you play courses with lots of OB or hazards, it might be less than that. 

• Thanks 1

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

5 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

Depends where you're playing, but if you follow the decision tree, that would be pretty low. Mine is at 80.49% and I'm pretty good at following the decision tree. If you play courses with lots of OB or hazards, it might be less than that. 

Thanks for that info.    I do play a course with tons of both.  Was a pure curiosity that I hadn’t found the answer to.  Just wondered what a percentage would be that registers on the stats columns to the right.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

35 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Thanks for that info.    I do play a course with tons of both.  Was a pure curiosity that I hadn’t found the answer to.  Just wondered what a percentage would be that registers on the stats columns to the right.  

I don't think those stats columns on the right depend on what your stat is for that row. I think it's either relevant or not relevant and driver selection percentage probably doesn't have much correlation with score. It's pretty easy to shoot 100+ while hitting driver everywhere and also shoot 65 while hitting driver everywhere. GIRs have a big correlation with score, so those get populated. 

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

On 11/3/2021 at 2:39 PM, BigManSlim said:

It's also about cost.

Why draft Saquon Barkley when he's going to get hurt and miss 25% or more of games during his rookie contract? Ditto for Christian McCaffrey and others. I remember a season back when I played fantasy football where virtually every elite RB not named Frank Gore ended up on IR: Adrian Peterson, LeSean McCoy, Jamaal Charles, Arian Foster, etc. 

The NFL is about managing the cap as much as it is X's and O's. Nobody would shun a premium RB if they didn't cost more than they were ultimately worth. It's the most physically-demanding position on the field (excluding maybe interior OL). Couple that significant injury risk with a general lessening of correlation between a team's ground game and it's winning % and you've got a recipe for a titanic shift in how the position is approached. 

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Did anyone notice the new feature target select?

You select a course, enter your driving distances and dispersion values and get to see a satellite image with the dispersion "cones" (more like a T-shape), pretty cool.

grafik.png.62977bafbf5a7c2ff08f659d8a870f7b.png

I just cant find any documentation for this feature, did scott publish a video or something the like?

There are several differences between the iOS app and the desktop version, e.g. app version shows 3 Ts, desktop shows only one of the three predefined ones (but you can select the one you like). There are different numbers showing in the bottom, which seem to indicate distance to the green.

42 minutes ago, Deepy said:

Did anyone notice the new feature target select?

You select a course, enter your driving distances and dispersion values and get to see a satellite image with the dispersion "cones" (more like a T-shape), pretty cool.

grafik.png.62977bafbf5a7c2ff08f659d8a870f7b.png

I just cant find any documentation for this feature, did scott publish a video or something the like?

There are several differences between the iOS app and the desktop version, e.g. app version shows 3 Ts, desktop shows only one of the three predefined ones (but you can select the one you like). There are different numbers showing in the bottom, which seem to indicate distance to the green.

I haven’t seen any notice of this , all I’ve got is a notice that he was busy , middle school kid and all . 

I’ve been a member for a year now , and I have to go figure out how  to use that . I’ve never felt like the tutorials clicked for me.  What few I’ve seen.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, cdub59 said:

I bought DECADE for my son (junior in high school) and after seeing the improvement he has made over the last few months I dove in for myself as well. I will be playing my first round using the DEACDE yardage book and tee shot targets on Saturday. Any pointers for a newbie? 

For more serious rounds, supplement it by using Google Earth to pick your targets off the tee. Although I'll be interested in how accurate the dispersion cones end up being, as that'd save some time. 

TaylorMade SIM2 (9*) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 60g

TaylorMade SIM2 Max (3w) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 70g

Titleist T-MB (2i) | Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB14 (3-PW) | Dynamic Gold X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore (54*, 58*) | Dynamic Gold Spinner

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3

Apparently prices going up Monday the 4th.  Said current subscribers will be grandfathered in.    Wonder why ?  Cost of living ? 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 1/18/2022 at 7:05 PM, Ty_Webb said:

Question on the decision tree that I haven't heard Scott cover. I just played a course (a CC I'm considering joining) with tight fairways but few penalty hazards. Fairways are 25-30 yards wide, and lined with old growth firs (lower branches are cut). I hit a bunch of 2i off the tee, usually leaving me with 130 - 150 in. Should I just hit Driver?

TaylorMade SIM2 (9*) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 60g

TaylorMade SIM2 Max (3w) | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 70g

Titleist T-MB (2i) | Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB14 (3-PW) | Dynamic Gold X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore (54*, 58*) | Dynamic Gold Spinner

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3

3 hours ago, thejazzmarauder said:

Question on the decision tree that I haven't heard Scott cover. I just played a course (a CC I'm considering joining) with tight fairways but few penalty hazards. Fairways are 25-30 yards wide, and lined with old growth firs (lower branches are cut). I hit a bunch of 2i off the tee, usually leaving me with 130 - 150 in. Should I just hit Driver?

You really need to figure out how many fairways you hit with 2 iron and how many you hit with driver. His reasoning for hitting driver is you won't always miss with driver and you won't always hit with the long iron, but you will always be 50-60 yards shorter and 50-60 yards is worth a lot of shots. If the trees are effectively a penalty hazard then you'd have to adjust. You could always tweet him with the question. He's decent at responding - or at least he used to be. I think his popularity has grown significantly so it's probably harder for him to do that now.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C