2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Would love to see Billy Ho and James Hahn win and watch PXG bandwagon grow overnight

KCCO

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unique but not innovative, superior, game changing or groundbreaking. More expensive to produce, I have no reason to question that point.

Innovation is over-rated, and I worked my entire career in high tech. If it works, that is what people care about. In tech, early adopters are called "bleeding edge" and very few companies want to take that kind of risk on systems that run their company. That is different than the companies who produce leading edge technology, and try and sell it to others to use to run their companies.

The bolded proves my point.I dont assume anything, i know so. I have spoken to 2 dozen pros who have played them and 99% of them say they feel like pings. They hired a senior ping designer... connect the dots. Its not an insult to them to say so. the faces arent any hotter than anything out there, thats a fact. The 0311 3 iron sounds and feels like a cheap 712U.

As for you defending hyundai no need, we know what the resale value of both are and again not insulting hyundai but BMW wayyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead.

i hope you try them and like them but i hope your expectations are in check because there is nothing groundbreaking about those clubs other than price and even that has been tried before

You (or someone) claimed the PXG were reverse engineered Pings. That is nonsense, since golf clubs are not that complicated that one has to reverse engineer them. Just cut one open to see how it is made, which is not reverse engineering.

I am not an expert on all Ping clubs, but do they make irons that are hollow like the PXG's? Are there any hollow clubs with an ultra thin a face as PXG, and that has the hollow space filled with a structural thermoplastic elastomer injection molded into the cavity (I got that from their website)? There are no dots to connect regarding whether the PXG's are made like Pings, since anyone who cuts them in half can see for themselves if what you say is true.

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/irons

You said you don't like the 3 iron. They have three different models, with varying size heads and cavities. Which one did you try?

From your avatar, you seem to be a big Scotty Cameron fan. Anyone can make a knock off that putts just as good for $25.

Why do you assume I own PXG clubs? They are too expensive for me for as few times I play now that I am 65 years old. Also, I am not saying whether anyone's game will be improved or not with PXG, I only said their design is somewhat unique. The reviews I read rate them at least as good as other top clubs.

Regarding a Genesis G90 resale value, that is not relevant to the quality, since they are typically sold at fairly big discounts to MSRP, and residual or resale value percentage is based on MSRP, not on the price actually paid. Obviously, a Genesis is not a prestige car like BMW, but not for any reasons actually related to the car itself. I dare you to test drive a G90.

I been on a lot of auto forums, and 90% of BMW owners swear they will never keep another BMW once the warranty runs out.

I would say they are both over priced. I'll drive a ford truck ( not a jacked up doofus mobile ) till the day I croak. I've put over 300k miles in 3 of them in my lifetime with zero major issues. And I. Can buy one with everything that bmw has for less than $50k....

to bring that to the topic , i would still suggest that PXG is the Hyundai and everything else are the Ford and chevys ... all will get you there in the exact same comfort, with the exact same reliability , and exact same safety... BUT youll pay more for the Hyundai just to impress your subdivision friends on the drive from the neighborhood entrance to your garage.... PXG is the same... And i say this about cars as a person makes his living designing and building cars...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

One thing for sure, PXG gets a lot of attention, and no matter whether

its good or bad, it still a form of free advertising, the name is out there.

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

There will never be a bandwagon. Clubs too expensive.

Tour Cameron's same? Karsten design...does same thing...but couple grand? Trust me Speith winning Masters with a 009 made Cameron/Gallery sell many more and that was with his retail going up. Didn't think this post would upset so many, just commenting what more is it gonna take to justify PXG is legit and here to stay? Many will admit they like them, just find it hard to see so many "open minded people who would never pay that much", but have a $400 HC on a $6000 putter. I play a mixed bag, point was with a fresh win...not only will he sell more clubs starting right now, there will be others soon enough trying to push inferior engineered, styled, high-priced, and if they work will be successful in selling there products.

Not sure I followed all that. My question to you or anyone is......what % of the market does PGX have in golf club sales? I'm guessing less than 1%. And at the prices they are asking, unlikely it will ever move up past 1%. PGX may not care as long as they are making money and that's fine. But they are selling to a niche market and that's all they will ever be.

You are actually way off and far from industry...do some DD before spouting numbers.

First sentence I asked for some numbers. Apparently you don't know as I'm sure you would have been glad to prove me wrong.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Jumping on the bandwagon:

The phrase "jump on the bandwagon" first appeared in American politics in 1848 when Dan Rice, a famous and popular circus clown of the time, used his bandwagon and its music to gain attention for his political campaign appearances. As his campaign became more successful, other politicians strove for a seat on the bandwagon, hoping to be associated with his success. Later, during the time of William Jennings Bryan's 1900 presidential campaign, bandwagons had become standard in campaigns,[8] and the phrase "jump on the bandwagon" was used as a derogatory term, implying that people were associating themselves with success without considering that with which they associated themselves.

Tiger couldn't make Nike golf hardware a success.... You think Billy is some sort of messiah in golf Equipment?

Nike clubs were very popular during Tigers best days, but his career and personal life derailed along with Nike equipment. TM is banking on DJ, Rory and Day, Callaway has rode Phil's back and Cobra put their money into Fowler and Bryson.

Horshel isn't as popular as any of the pro's I mentioned but his win will have more people heading over to the PXG site to check out their clubs.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Some thoughts.

PXG. Parsons does EVERYTHING in excess. That's the way he operates. He developed PXG and I'll be willing to bet that he spared no expense in his quest to make the best golf equipment available. Whether it's worth the price is up to the masses. Whether PXG actually delivers on it's robust self validations .... only time will tell.

As for cars. Japanese cars are the most reliable. Korean cars are gaining ground quickly. German cars are not as reliable. But ... I still love German cars.

The clubs Horschel won with yesterday are the same exact clubs that he missed 4 straight cuts with. He found his swing. He didn't find new clubs. These guys can win with anything when they're game is on. It's not the clubs. It will never be the clubs at that level of golf.

And the reverse is true with all the top players playing Taylormade. They're not playing those clubs because they're the best clubs. They're playing them because they got the best deal. They could switch to Callaway, Titleist or Cobra tomorrow and pretty much go about their business. Heck, Rory admitted that he started with which golf ball he liked best and backed into his club deal that way.

The clubs Horschel won with yesterday are the same exact clubs that he missed 4 straight cuts with. He found his swing. He didn't find new clubs. These guys can win with anything when they're game is on. It's not the clubs. It will never be the clubs at that level of golf.

And the reverse is true with all the top players playing Taylormade. They're not playing those clubs because they're the best clubs. They're playing them because they got the best deal. They could switch to Callaway, Titleist or Cobra tomorrow and pretty much go about their business. Heck, Rory admitted that he started with which golf ball he liked best and backed into his club deal that way.

Nor at our level really. :(

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Nor at our level really. :(

I was going to ask what level does it matter? Seems it's mostly about marketing and about consumer psychology.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

It will never be the clubs at that level of golf.

Yeah, but we are not at that level of golf, and need all the help we can get. Not saying PXG are worth the price (not to me anyway), but some people have money to burn, and a lot of others buy new clubs every two years looking for the latest and greatest.

Any well fitted clubs will help a person golf better. Switching from those well fitted clubs to PXG will only result in your wallet being lighter. The single digit guys I know have been playing with the same clubs for many years. The golfers I know that have struggled year after year keep buying new clubs as if they'll find some holy grail. Heck if you have the money then go buy the PXG, but don't fall for the false assumption that you'll play better than Mizi's, Cally's, etc.

Any well fitted clubs will help a person golf better. Switching from those well fitted clubs to PXG will only result in your wallet being lighter. The single digit guys I know have been playing with the same clubs for many years. The golfers I know that have struggled year after year keep buying new clubs as if they'll find some holy grail. Heck if you have the money then go buy the PXG, but don't fall for the false assumption that you'll play better than Mizi's, Cally's, etc.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree. When I started playing golf (a long time ago) the only clubs were blades, even for amateurs. Game improvement clubs have made it easier to play better for amateurs over the years. Even some pros now play cavity back clubs (or semi-cavity back). The game improvement clubs have advanced slowly over the years, and the GI ones now are better than the GI ones 20 years ago. It is possible there "can" be some small incremental improvements in the future.

The last time I bought new clubs (about 7 years ago) I spent a lot of time comparing Calloway's with a bunch of other similar GI clubs. I tested them on a electronic trainer for a long time, which let me know the accuracy and distance of each club, and my sample size was large enough to draw a conclusion that the Calloway's performed the best for me. I didn't buy the Calloway's, because I got the 2nd best clubs online for half the price of the Calloway's.

It is certainly possible that if I retested clubs today, that once again one of them would be slightly better than the others (at least for me). To make a blanket statement that you know PXG cannot be any better than the others doesn't seem rational to me unless you have done some statistical testing on people who didn't know anything about PXG (and not embroiled in this controversy). I don't know that PXG would come out on top, but it is possible. Maybe they would test out to be worse than the others (which destroys your thesis also that all good clubs are the same).

But for me, even if PXG was better, I wouldn't buy them because they are too expensive, for as little as I now play (I have explained that more once in this thread). So I am not suggesting that anyone buy the PXG's, that is up to them. But the PXG's are somewhat unique in their technology compared to most other clubs, and maybe some people will like them better.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree. When I started playing golf (a long time ago) the only clubs were blades, even for amateurs. Game improvement clubs have made it easier to play better for amateurs over the years. Even some pros now play cavity back clubs (or semi-cavity back). The game improvement clubs have advanced slowly over the years, and the GI ones now are better than the GI ones 20 years ago. It is possible there "can" be some small incremental improvements in the future.-- 100% agree. Cavity vs blade, head design, head weight, swing weight, shaft type, flex, lie angle etc are all what I consider to be "properly fitted." I still say PXG won't give you anything that anyone else can't give you.

The last time I bought new clubs (about 7 years ago) I spent a lot of time comparing Calloway's with a bunch of other similar GI clubs. I tested them on a electronic trainer for a long time, which let me know the accuracy and distance of each club, and my sample size was large enough to draw a conclusion that the Calloway's performed the best for me. I didn't buy the Calloway's, because I got the 2nd best clubs online for half the price of the Calloway's.-- Again I agree as I was fitted professionally. I even went back over the course of several weeks seeing if what was best last week was best this week. I eventually went with Cally. I honestly don't think the Mizi's, Cobra's or Pings I tried were any worse but perhaps their "factory settings" didn't match me as well as the Cally "factory settings." It also came down to what I liked best when looking down at the club at address. Also the Callaway didn't jar my hands as much if I was off the sweet spot a bit. I don't believe for a second that any of the other clubs I tried would have been better or worse and they all were similarly priced.

It is certainly possible that if I retested clubs today, that once again one of them would be slightly better than the others (at least for me). To make a blanket statement that you know PXG cannot be any better than the others doesn't seem rational to me unless you have done some statistical testing on people who didn't know anything about PXG (and not embroiled in this controversy). I don't know that PXG would come out on top, but it is possible. Maybe they would test out to be worse than the others (which destroys your thesis also that all good clubs are the same).

But for me, even if PXG was better, I wouldn't buy them because they are too expensive, for as little as I now play (I have explained that more once in this thread). So I am not suggesting that anyone buy the PXG's, that is up to them. But the PXG's are somewhat unique in their technology compared to most other clubs, and maybe some people will like them better.

See above comments

Small

Incremental

You keep flashing back to a very long time ago once again with your blades comments. Comparisons have to be made to what is available and comparable. A proper fitting may yield something that is "better" but your words I listed above ( specifically "small") but usually if only you haven't proper fit. Even then the improvements will usually have a cost. The current trend of jacked up lofts and more distance through low spin have a cost when it comes to irons that many people focusing on only one stat miss in their excitement.

Guys, please stop with the car comparing. It makes no sense. An iron head is a lump of metal at the end of a steel rod. That has zero in common with a precision automobile with measurable and tangible performance as well as superior materials and craftsmanship. Like I said in another thread. A more valid comparison is a Snap-ON wrench vs a Craftsman wrench. Both are simple chunks of steel, do the same job, same warranty, and any difference in performance is more a matter of opinion than measurable fact. The main difference is one costs 3 times the other because of the name on it.

Now as for the PXG win, I would much rather have seen Hahn win it than Horschel. I can't stand his smug attitude and constant temper tantrums. He's clearly a person who thinks he's really something special.

could not have written a better post. haha, especially the part about Horschel

One thing for sure, PXG gets a lot of attention, and no matter whether

its good or bad, it still a form of free advertising, the name is out there.

So is Bugatti, Rolls Royce, Maserati, Ferrari etc etc....so what?

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

As for those who hate the car analogy, Bob started it....lol...me thinks Bob is deluded, then again, a sucker is born every minute.

“We’re the only company that ever puts a disclaimer in advertising, a warning that our clubs are amazing but expensive,” Parsons said. “I don’t know anybody else who does that. But it’s true. We make a top-end golf club the way Ferrari makes a top-end car. In other words when we release a set of clubs you’re not going to find anything better.”

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

As for those who hate the car analogy, Bob started it....lol...me thinks Bob is deluded, then again, a sucker is born every minute.

“We’re the only company that ever puts a disclaimer in advertising, a warning that our clubs are amazing but expensive,” Parsons said. “I don’t know anybody else who does that. But it’s true. We make a top-end golf club the way Ferrari makes a top-end car. In other words when we release a set of clubs you’re not going to find anything better.”

What a strange thing for him to say, seeing as Italy hasn't ever made a decent car.

Gonna sell a boatload of PXG BatAttack putters with Horschel putting lights out!

...does it say on tag must use left hand low? gimme' a break...he says he finally clicked with what Anderson had been telling him for a while now...

Everyone knows those pants won the tourney!

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

What a strange thing for him to say, seeing as Italy hasn't ever made a decent car.

Certainly not a fast one that could out last the chicken farmer from terrilingua .... Lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

all publicity is good publicity.

You fools arguing over which one is right just keep It right on top. Right where he wants it.

Bobs a cool cat. His company, the employees, and the players deserve a win. Or 100.

Go PXG!

Oh. Mercedes-Benz > Hyundai on their worst day. :)

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21