Rory is too jacked...

2over

Rory isn't jacked. He looks pretty normal when you see him in person. His problems are that he hasn't been able to play for most of the year. You don't take 2 months off from competition and expect to show up to the US Open and be in midseason form. Whether his workouts have caused his injuries is a different discussion, but he's not muscled up to the point where it has affected his flexibility. I think he's probably consulted enough fitness experts that he works on things that make him fit to play golf, not to compete in a Mr Universe contest.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rory is not that big. He's not muscle bound. He does functional lifting which is applicable to his golf swing. Yes some less chiseled guys hit the ball far, but that's also athleticism. Essentially you'd be saying babe ruth and cc sabathia aren't athletic because they have no muscle tone. Most of the young golfers lift now, spieth and Thomas included. It takes a long time and a lot of work to get "jacked". Rory is squating like 225 in the picture that everyone goes crazy over. Any guy who spends a little time in the gym can rep that a few times.

If Justin Thomas is doing any lifting he needs to switch trainers. I've seen swimming pool noodles with more definition. As for the athleticism thing, you're conflating having insane hand eye coordination with being athletic. They are, in my opinion, two totally different things. I guarantee the average John Q.Public isn't looking at John Daly or J.B.Holmes and saying to themselves, "Now that....is an athlete!"

Agree with you on the hand eye coordination. I promise Thomas lifts. Not much weight but he does lift some. Lol

People have no concept of "jacked". Rory at 5'9" 165lbs is "in shape". Tiger was never "jacked", he was also in good shape- u r comparing golfers with other golfers that do not work out at all and of course they will look better. Put rory, tw, any "jacked" golfer in ANY gym and they are "in shape" at best

M1, ad di7x
rbz 3w, ad dj8x
Titleist TMB 2 iron, ti X100
mp68 4-pw, ti x100
Vokey 52* (x100), 56* (X100) ,60* (s400)
Scotty Mid Slant
ProV1x

I think this thread got off track by getting hung up on the term "jacked." Is Rory jacked? No. Does Rory engage in heavy lifting exercises that could potentially injure his back? Quite possibly. There are many physical therapists and orthopedists who advise against doing dead lifts, squats, and clean and jerks. They argue that the vast majority of folks doing those lifts use horrible technique which is a recipe for disaster, better to stay away from them altogether. The calculus changes once an individual reaches 40. I don't know of any respected PTs or MDs who recommend doing those lifts after hitting the big four-oh. Recovery times for connective tissue starts to increase exponentially and debilitating injury, even if using proper technique, becomes a real possibility.

I don't know, I probably wouldn't do them if my livelihood depended upon a healthy back. There are too many other quality substitutes that could be used rather than those three particular lifts. As for as other lifts that tone the arms and chest, fire away. That's certainly not going to hurt his back.

I think this thread got off track by getting hung up on the term "jacked." Is Rory jacked? No. Does Rory engage in heavy lifting exercises that could potentially injure his back? Quite possibly. There are many physical therapists and orthopedists who advise against doing dead lifts, squats, and clean and jerks. They argue that the vast majority of folks doing those lifts use horrible technique which is a recipe for disaster, better to stay away from them altogether. The calculus changes once an individual reaches 40. I don't know of any respected PTs or MDs who recommend doing those lifts after hitting the big four-oh. Recovery times for connective tissue starts to increase exponentially and debilitating injury, even if using proper technique, becomes a real possibility.

I don't know, I probably wouldn't do them if my livelihood depended upon a healthy back. There are too many other quality substitutes that could be used rather than those three particular lifts. As for as other lifts that tone the arms and chest, fire away. That's certainly not going to hurt his back.

I'm 67 and started deadlift, bench s, squats and other exercises this past January and have stayed committed. I don't press for heavy lifts and do sets of 6 reps where I could do 10. My postures is better and at my 6 month checkup all my "bad" numbers are down and good numbers up. Doc asked what changed. Just the lifting. Which we discussed and he said keep it up.

I've always been athletic but had seen consider body strength going away. I've lost only 8 lbs but have gained lots of overall body strength. It has certainly added to my golf game in that I'm hitting Driver/8i-pw into 420 yard par 4 (those lessons with Monte and Dan are kicking in too).

My inspiration

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Wow, guess my OP was not clear. I used the word "jacked" only in reference to the article on the front page of GolfWrx a couple days ago. If you read the article it seemed clear (but, apparently, thinking people would read the article before they commented on the comment was silly of me) anyway: it seemed obvious the original article was using the term "jacked" in a relative not absolute sense. To spell it out: "jacked" here means adding on about 10-20% of your body mass in muscle from lifting heavy weights and/or using "supplements"--substantially changing your body fat percentage (dramatically lower) and adding muscle that you would never have without the heavy weight training. Golf experts (and some trainers) have long held that becoming unnaturally muscle bound is deleterious (some of you may have to look that word up--try dictionary.com) to your golf game. Camillo Villegas, Tiger, David Duval, and a number of other golfers of greater or lesser renown have all done this and seen their games tank. Most (not all) of the players of Johnny Miller's era and earlier steered well clear of becoming "muscle-bound" (the old term for "jacked")--Johnny accidentally got "jacked" (for him) doing ranch work and says it hurt his game. Rory's performance since his heavy weight training (and compare a 2011 Rory to the beach version in the pics above, and you'll see 2017 Rory is getting into Daniel Craig territory, a land that he was miles and miles away from when he was winning US Opens instead of going 6 over in the first round of them).

No one ever suggested Rory looks like an NFL DE. But that he has dramatically changed his physique to a much more muscle-bound (i.e. relatively "jacked") state is obvious. A guy like Koepka, is naturally muscular. He probably works out, but he hasn't added 10-20% of his body mass in muscle and drastically changed his physique--and he isn't injured all the time and is more consistence in his performance. That was the point. Oh, and that a guy like Sergio Garcia who is not lifting heavy weights either, and has maintained essentially the same physique as he had in his mid 20's has even more clubhead speed now than then and is playing the best golf of his career.

Flame away...

respectfully disagree (being in the personal training/health/nutrition field for a living) you couldn't be any further from how things really work. Not starting a war here, just reading through the posts and this one is 100% off the mark fella.

M1, ad di7x
rbz 3w, ad dj8x
mp68 4-pw, ti x100
Scotty Mid Slant
ProV1x

If I was limited to doing only one lift for the rest of my life, it would be the deadlift, and it's not even close. I'm 43 and have never had a back injury n my life. Played organized sports my whole life and have been swinging out of my shoes since day one. Lifting doesn't cause injury, improper form does.

If I was limited to doing only one lift for the rest of my life, it would be the deadlift, and it's not even close. I'm 43 and have never had a back injury n my life. Played organized sports my whole life and have been swinging out of my shoes since day one. Lifting doesn't cause injury, improper form does.

What's funny is that I have a gimpy back, and it feels better when I do some form of deadlift.

The fact anyone considers rory "jacked" and is honestly defending the position that golfers would be better served playing badmitton as opposed to working with qualified professionals to become better overall athletes is pure laughable ignorance. Rory has has posted videos of himself squatting 120 kilos for a few reps. While that is certainly better than 99% of the golfing public it is nowhere NEAR an elite level of strength, even for his dimunitive stature. Everyone here claiming strength and conditioning is bad for a golfers game/longevity are simply old men yelling at clouds. "Well back in my day..."

The fact anyone considers rory "jacked" and is honestly defending the position that golfers would be better served playing badmitton as opposed to working with qualified professionals to become better overall athletes is pure laughable ignorance. Rory has has posted videos of himself squatting 120 kilos for a few reps. While that is certainly better than 99% of the golfing public it is nowhere NEAR an elite level of strength, even for his dimunitive stature. Everyone here claiming strength and conditioning is bad for a golfers game/longevity are simply old men yelling at clouds. "Well back in my day..."

Whats a kilo?

Was it just invented?

Whats a kilo?

Was it just invented?

2.2lbs.

Whats a kilo?

Was it just invented?

2.2lbs.

I could lift that.

I find it hilarious what Rory has become. STILL a great player, but he shafted Callaway, got bought out by TM to play average equipment/ball, (yes, the driver is great), but whines like a little girl. Yes, the Erin Hills fairways are 60 yards wide, and go home if you can't hit them, which is what he did.. I like him and Jason, but they are showing signs of being on the sideline as much as they are in the game........

Whats a kilo?

Was it just invented?

2.2lbs.

I could lift that.

It's more than your driver weighs.

I find it hilarious what Rory has become. STILL a great player, but he shafted Callaway, got bought out by TM to play average equipment/ball, (yes, the driver is great), but whines like a little girl. Yes, the Erin Hills fairways are 60 yards wide, and go home if you can't hit them, which is what he did.. I like him and Jason, but they are showing signs of being on the sideline as much as they are in the game........
just wondering- when does Rory whine? And I don't recall him complaining about missing fairways or making any excuses after Friday at all? Sorry man, trying to figure out your angle here

M1, ad di7x
rbz 3w, ad dj8x
mp68 4-pw, ti x100
Scotty Mid Slant
ProV1x

just wondering- when does Rory whine? And I don't recall him complaining about missing fairways or making any excuses after Friday at all? Sorry man, trying to figure out your angle here

I also wonder how he shafted Callaway. I hadn't heard that one.

What's funny is that I have a gimpy back, and it feels better when I do some form of deadlift.

This. It's all about form.

I'm gonna be 49 next week and my core & low back are as strong as ever and I've had lower back/disc problems since a major accident 25 yrs ago.

Whoever says lifting is not good for you couldn't be further from the truth. Lifting with bad form excluded.

Whats a kilo?

Was it just invented?

2.2lbs.

I could lift that.

It's more than your driver weighs.

Im lifting a taco and a glass of vino.

Im looking good all around ; )

He made the comment Wednesday to the press that "if you can't hit these fairways, you shouldn't be here"......LOL.....I hate Twitter, but he is pretty funny!!....

I also wonder how he shafted Callaway. I hadn't heard that one.

Um, well, wasn't it obvious?.......Holy crap, Announced he was moving to Callaway, loaded up the bag, talked about how well he liked the new setup, all while TM was having Miura build him a set of blades......you think TM designed the custom RORS irons over the weekend?......LOL.......

Ya, Rory is far from linebacker status. There used to be a celebrity life swap mtv show on for a little while. A linebacker swapped lives for a day with an average joe with the same name. He visited the local high school, all the kids wanted to play with him and take a tackle. He legit refused and said he'd end up killing one of them if they took a full force hit. Rory isn't much bigger than a high school football player...

My goodness folks need to get out to some actual Tour events and stand next to these guys. Jacked? I've been a little more than an arms length from Rory, Tiger, and others and jacked is not the word I would use - slender and fit more like it.

Jacked

10453945_909494705742689_1405384603_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=NzQ4NTAxMDgwMTExMzU1NjU1.2

Rory this past April

nintchdbpict000228934587-e1484590579313.jpg?strip=all&w=960&quality=100

That's Kevin Levrone...he's 52 and competing in this year's Mr. Olympia

Rory isn't much bigger than a high school football player...

Rory isn't much bigger than Brian Harman.

Rory's lankier than Harman. The long arms are great for club head speed. Harman's a short, firepluggy dude with average length arms. He's got a 2017 swing and a 1967 body. He has to be an exceptional putter and a super fairway finder to keep up with the big boys. He's Furykesque in that sense. Anyway, pardon the ramble but I'm still tired, hungry and not playing as much golf as I'd like.