Rory is too jacked...

2over

Wow, guess my OP was not clear. I used the word "jacked" only in reference to the article on the front page of GolfWrx a couple days ago. If you read the article it seemed clear (but, apparently, thinking people would read the article before they commented on the comment was silly of me) anyway: it seemed obvious the original article was using the term "jacked" in a relative not absolute sense. To spell it out: "jacked" here means adding on about 10-20% of your body mass in muscle from lifting heavy weights and/or using "supplements"--substantially changing your body fat percentage (dramatically lower) and adding muscle that you would never have without the heavy weight training. Golf experts (and some trainers) have long held that becoming unnaturally muscle bound is deleterious (some of you may have to look that word up--try dictionary.com) to your golf game. Camillo Villegas, Tiger, David Duval, and a number of other golfers of greater or lesser renown have all done this and seen their games tank. Most (not all) of the players of Johnny Miller's era and earlier steered well clear of becoming "muscle-bound" (the old term for "jacked")--Johnny accidentally got "jacked" (for him) doing ranch work and says it hurt his game. Rory's performance since his heavy weight training (and compare a 2011 Rory to the beach version in the pics above, and you'll see 2017 Rory is getting into Daniel Craig territory, a land that he was miles and miles away from when he was winning US Opens instead of going 6 over in the first round of them).

No one ever suggested Rory looks like an NFL DE. But that he has dramatically changed his physique to a much more muscle-bound (i.e. relatively "jacked") state is obvious. A guy like Koepka, is naturally muscular. He probably works out, but he hasn't added 10-20% of his body mass in muscle and drastically changed his physique--and he isn't injured all the time and is more consistence in his performance. That was the point. Oh, and that a guy like Sergio Garcia who is not lifting heavy weights either, and has maintained essentially the same physique as he had in his mid 20's has even more clubhead speed now than then and is playing the best golf of his career.

Flame away...

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Tour's "jacked" were a lifted pickup it would be this one...

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Wow, guess my OP was not clear. I used the word "jacked" only in reference to the article on the front page of GolfWrx a couple days ago. If you read the article it seemed clear (but, apparently, thinking people would read the article before they commented on the comment was silly of me) anyway: it seemed obvious the original article was using the term "jacked" in a relative not absolute sense. To spell it out: "jacked" here means adding on about 10-20% of your body mass in muscle from lifting heavy weights and/or using "supplements"--substantially changing your body fat percentage (dramatically lower) and adding muscle that you would never have without the heavy weight training. Golf experts (and some trainers) have long held that becoming unnaturally muscle bound is deleterious (some of you may have to look that word up--try dictionary.com) to your golf game.

Anecdotally, I know people who have gained 20+ pounds of muscle and got better at golf simultaneously. One (a bodybuilder) went from 160 pounds to about 220 pounds and dropped his handicap during that time (from 5 to 3). As long as you maintain a level of flexibility, I don't see how a bit of extra mass would interfere with athletic motion (eg. a golf swing).

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS (8), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Taylormade SLDR Mini (12), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

Srixon U85 (22), PX 6.5

Ping i210 (5-UW), X100

Mizuno T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

DFX 2 Ball Blade 

Srixon Z-Star XV

Jacked? Hardly. Rory is 5' 9" at best.

18380405_434909316901705_5448655594003103744_n.jpg

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Here are two things that Rory could do which would be much better for his golf game than weight lifting: badminton, or squash. Both require lots of running, and great hand eye coordination. Both can keep a guy really fit.

Let's face it: Rory was a better golfer when he was pudgy. He was long, and gifted, and could score.

I happen to think that weight lifting is not good for a golf swing. It is easy to do, but not helpful in the least.

There's so much factual wrong on this post that I'm glad it's just your opinion.

Here are two things that Rory could do which would be much better for his golf game than weight lifting: badminton, or squash. Both require lots of running, and great hand eye coordination. Both can keep a guy really fit.

Let's face it: Rory was a better golfer when he was pudgy. He was long, and gifted, and could score.

I happen to think that weight lifting is not good for a golf swing. It is easy to do, but not helpful in the least.

There's so much factual wrong on this post that I'm glad it's just your opinion.

Jack won 18 majors over a long career, playing tennis to stay somewhat in fit.

You can stand by your own opinion on weight training, but I stand by my opinion that what Rory is doing is harmful.

By the way, anyone who would wear Baby Blue matching shirt and shoes in a US Open should have his decision making questioned.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

You know there is no such thing as "muscle bound?" Proper strength training increases flexibility. And, even if you buy into that, Mcilroy would never be considered an overdeveloped guy anyway. As one of the commentators said yesterday, when these big hitters start going bad in a round, they don't seem to know how to take their foot off the gas. They keep going at it full tilt. Maybe it's more mental than physical.

Agree and disagree.

Disagree with your Sergio comparison. Sure, he's got 1 more green jacket than Rory, but he's also much older and has 3 fewer majors than Rory. I'd take a safe bet on Rory winning a green jacket by the time he's Sergio's age. I think a better comparison would be Jordan as he doesn't do a lot of heavy lifting and he's doing just fine at roughly the same age.

Agree that weightlifting can cause issues down the road and not do much for you on the golf course; Look at Justin Thomas for example. In the case of Tiger, he overdid it a little bit. I mean, the man was obsessed with Navy Seal training techniques and heavy lifting which ultimately wore his body down. But on the contrary, would you say the same about Louis Oosthuizen who has a bad back and carries a custom mattress around everywhere he goes? I haven't heard much about him doing heavy lifting like Rory does and he has always had issues. My point with Louis is that I think golf takes a strain on your body regardless, but I agree that heavy lifting will add to the cause...

You could make the argument that strength training prevented Tiger's body from breaking down sooner. If anything, it's the 5 mile runs that are more likely to contribute to degenerative conditions than strength training. The science says that, when done properly, strength training is one of the best things you can do for your long term health. Long distance running, one of the worst.

And Rory knows more about golf than Johnny Freaking Miller. Him and Brandel are a couple of bitter old has beens.

You're insane. Johnny Miller knows more about golf that pretty much the whole freaking planet. He was the best golfer in the world from 73-75 . .gimme a break

I'm with you on Brandel but he is paid to opine and stir the pot, so he get's a pass of some sort

Love Johnny Miller. There's no mistaking what he says.

Doubt ruins more dreams than failure
ever will - someone on the internet

These kids aint lifted a heavy day in their life. Come see me in the iron jungle

Callaway Epic Speed - Diamana BF 60TX
Callaway Epic Speed 16.5FW - Diamana BF 70TX
Callaway XForged '18 UT 21* - PX 6.5
Callaway XForged '18 4i 5i 6i - PX 6.5
Callaway Apex MB '18 7i 8i 9i PW - PX 6.5
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw 52S* PX 6.0 - 56C* PX 6.0 - 60X* PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

best thread i've read in a while, laughed out loud several times. And yes, there is a huge difference between the opinion of guys who have actually lifted weights and not(as if diet has nothing to do with it). As for Tiger he was about 6' and max, 145lbs when he left Stanford, two years later he's 50 lbs heavier and kept his body fat % the same? C'mon now, we all know why he's incurred all these injuries, the violent swing is the least of it. And Rory wears a size 8.5 shoe, nuff said.

best thread i've read in a while, laughed out loud several times. And yes, there is a huge difference between the opinion of guys who have actually lifted weights and not(as if diet has nothing to do with it). As for Tiger he was about 6' and max, 145lbs when he left Stanford, two years later he's 50 lbs heavier and kept his body fat % the same? C'mon now, we all know why he's incurred all these injuries, the violent swing is the least of it. And Rory wears a size 8.5 shoe, nuff said.

This.

Here is TW is 2000, 4 years after Stanfurd. Way past 195. Gotta be at least 215.

This.

Here is TW is 2000, 4 years after Stanfurd. Way past 195. Gotta be at least 215.

When Tiger and Butch did their impromptu Academy Live episode in April 2000 (some of the best programming TGC had...Academy Live, that is...BRING IT BACK) he said he came out on tour at 158 and "now I'm 180".

Well duh. She's jacked, too!

1st round draft pick for the Denver Broncos. Outside/Middle linebacker if she slims down a bit.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Are being 5'9" and jacked mutually exclusive? I'd argue that Mr. Olympia winners are fairly jacked and their average height is 5'9". So...

Agree. To look jacked you need to have a mesomorphic body shape, which is generally around the 5'9" range. Hulk Hogan being an obvious exception.

Rory started dating Caroline in 2011 and by 2013 he was in the tank - dumped her in 2014 and won 2 majors. Started dating Erica in 2015, married her this year . . . Much more plausible than the he's jacked theory and best part is my wife offered this one up - when his love life is good his golf hurts. LOL. Either that or he has to channel his inner dick cause no one deserves the treatment he gave Caroline - my wife opening roots against him at all and any opportunity for it. Now Rickie . . . she's watched more golf this past 2 days than in the last year.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

As long as he keeps his flexibility up then mass is no problem. However, something is off and it could be his legs got to strong and his swing is off, etc.

He has the money and time to figure it out, so he will get balanced again.. Too much talent not too.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Rory is not that big. He's not muscle bound. He does functional lifting which is applicable to his golf swing. Yes some less chiseled guys hit the ball far, but that's also athleticism. Essentially you'd be saying babe ruth and cc sabathia aren't athletic because they have no muscle tone. Most of the young golfers lift now, spieth and Thomas included. It takes a long time and a lot of work to get "jacked". Rory is squating like 225 in the picture that everyone goes crazy over. Any guy who spends a little time in the gym can rep that a few times.

Rory is not that big. He's not muscle bound. He does functional lifting which is applicable to his golf swing. Yes some less chiseled guys hit the ball far, but that's also athleticism. Essentially you'd be saying babe ruth and cc sabathia aren't athletic because they have no muscle tone. Most of the young golfers lift now, spieth and Thomas included. It takes a long time and a lot of work to get "jacked". Rory is squating like 225 in the picture that everyone goes crazy over. Any guy who spends a little time in the gym can rep that a few times.

If Justin Thomas is doing any lifting he needs to switch trainers. I've seen swimming pool noodles with more definition. As for the athleticism thing, you're conflating having insane hand eye coordination with being athletic. They are, in my opinion, two totally different things. I guarantee the average John Q.Public isn't looking at John Daly or J.B.Holmes and saying to themselves, "Now that....is an athlete!"