Streamsong Tips?

dmitchell165

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Booked a trip with my golf group in April to play all 3 courses and stay. Any advice on the restaurants on site? Main question is which place would be best for the Saturday final four games while we are there? Any one of them that we cannot skip? Thanks for the replies.

The bar area (Bone Valley) at Black is the best on the property. They have the most beers on tap and a relatively diverse menu. Plenty of TV's.

The main clubhouse now has a pretty lousy lunch menu and only one TV.

Sottoterra (fine/finer dining) is quite good but the service is often suspect.

Booked a trip with my golf group in April to play all 3 courses and stay. Any advice on the restaurants on site? Main question is which place would be best for the Saturday final four games while we are there? Any one of them that we cannot skip? Thanks for the replies.

The bar area (Bone Valley) at Black is the best on the property. They have the most beers on tap and a relatively diverse menu. Plenty of TV's.

The main clubhouse now has a pretty lousy lunch menu and only one TV.

Sottoterra (fine/finer dining) is quite good but the service is often suspect.

The bacon at the lodge breakfast buffet was probably the best I have ever had. That said the buffet is like $30-35.

Just got back from 4 days at Streamsong, played all the courses with the Black twice. Greens were fast and had a good time. Stayed at the Lodge for 3 nights, be ready to spend some cash on rooms, food and drinks if you are staying on property. Very convenient though as they move your clubs from course to course for you. Overall three great courses, very open off the tee's which gives you confidence to swing away. We rode with Forecaddies, it was brutal hot and no shade anywhere, so you bake out there. I saw guys walking and caddies carrying two bags, I have no idea how they could do that, heat index had to be around 115. Not much to do out there but golf and drink, so don't go there for anything else. It really is in the middle of nowhere.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

Just got back from 4 days at Streamsong, played all the courses with the Black twice. Greens were fast and had a good time. Stayed at the Lodge for 3 nights, be ready to spend some cash on rooms, food and drinks if you are staying on property. Very convenient though as they move your clubs from course to course for you. Overall three great courses, very open off the tee's which gives you confidence to swing away. We rode with Forecaddies, it was brutal hot and no shade anywhere, so you bake out there. I saw guys walking and caddies carrying two bags, I have no idea how they could do that, heat index had to be around 115. Not much to do out there but golf and drink, so don't go there for anything else. It really is in the middle of nowhere.

I did the same and agree with your summary. I would add that having a caddy is a must - Mark P was mine. He made the experience that much better (saved 5 strokes a round).

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a 2 day 4 round trip a couple of weeks ago. Overall was a blast, would highly recommend the trip. I think it is almost as good as Bandon, minus the Ocean views, to the point where East Coast folks can sub Streamsong if it is more convenient. Quick thoughts:

1. We played Blue twice, Black and Red once. I think Blue is the easiest of the 3, Red the toughest and Black the most fun. I equate Blue to BD, Red to PD, Black to OM.

2. The courses are super wide/forgiving off the tee...in the 4 rounds, I missed like 6 fairways (and I am not a good driver :))

3. I loved the customer service at the resort but for one somewhat annoying thing- Cart Fee = $35 + Mandatory forecaddie = $40, so ends up being close to $75 just to ride a cart. Felt a bit high as you literally cannot walk 2 rounds in the FL heat

4. Food is great...especially the Taco's on Blue

5. Rooms are great, somewhat more modern but more expensive than Bandon

I loved my experience but I am not sure if I would go again from CA to FL to play at Streamsong, takes me almost same time as to BD :)

3. I loved the customer service at the resort but for one somewhat annoying thing- Cart Fee = $35 + Mandatory forecaddie = $40, so ends up being close to $75 just to ride a cart. Felt a bit high as you literally cannot walk 2 rounds in the FL heat

Strong agree here. I thought I was getting a great deal with the summer rate when I went but once you add in those costs, not so much. Will definitely grab a push cart from second hand store before playing red or blue. I still might opt for caddy first time on black from what I've read.

guys big picture here, it's still cheap with caddies and rentals compared to what you get on a national level at resorts of same caliber.

Erin Hills is 300 plus 35 mandatory caddie fee and 100 towards caddie. Whistling is 500 plus 100 for caddies.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

guys big picture here, it's still cheap with caddies and rentals compared to what you get on a national level at resorts of same caliber.

Erin Hills is 300 plus 35 mandatory caddie fee and 100 towards caddie. Whistling is 500 plus 100 for caddies.

Tough comp given that Whistling Straits and Erin Hills now are both (generally) more highly rated and have a major championship pedigree (which adds a premium if you like it or not).

But I tend to agree that in the Winter, Streamsong is a bit of a bargain getaway.

I think from an architectural point of view streamsong blows whistling out of the water.

And is neck to neck with Erin hills. I think streamsong is just that good.

And I’m definitely just comparing the resort golf aspect of whistling and streamsong. I can see how the “major” championship can appeal to others when choosing. With that said I stand firm with my point of view that streamsong is just a better golf course than whistling.

I remember whistling views began to look repetitive. Sure looks great but I think most people go there for the views.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I think from an architectural point of view streamsong blows whistling out of the water.

And I'm definitely just comparing the resort golf aspect of whistling and streamsong. I can see how the "major" championship can appeal to others when choosing. With that said I stand firm with my point of view that streamsong is just a better golf course than whistling.

I remember whistling views began to look repetitive. Sure looks great but I think most people go there for the views.

I agree 100% with all of this.

However it has to be acknowledged that there are two "premiums" that drive pricing up at Erin Hills and Whistling Straits: Top 50 rankings (Golf Digest) and major championship history.

Given the choice, I would choose Streamsong 90 times out of 100. It's good "value" vs. other courses because it doesn't have those premiums working for it. On the other hand, it certainly gets a premium for trendy architects and warm-weather climate. Drop the same courses in Michigan with lesser architects...and you're probably looking at half the price.

And I'm definitely just comparing the resort golf aspect of whistling and streamsong. I can see how the "major" championship can appeal to others when choosing. With that said I stand firm with my point of view that streamsong is just a better golf course than whistling.

Going to have to disagree with you Jere :)

I don't like using the 'b' word when discussing something as subjective as a golf course, but I think The Straits is better than any of the 3 on offer at Streamsong.

It seems anything sitting on a body of water lets people throw out a lazy - well if it wasn't for the water argument. Shall we throw Pebble in here too? ;)

I enjoy Red and Black at SS, but Blue felt like just another paint-by-numbers wide-cause-wide Doak, with the exception of a 4, 16 and maybe a couple others. I think being side by side with Red and Black really exposes it TBH.

That said, I think Streamsong can stand just fine on its own accord. It's an excellent right 2/3s of North America golfing destination.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

to be fair, I thought TPC river highlands was a better pete dye course than whistling and there's plenty of water on the back 9 there. =P

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Looking to book 36 holes during a trip to Orlando in Mid January.

Based off of this statement "I think Blue is the easiest of the 3, Red the toughest and Black the most fun. I equate Blue to BD, Red to PD, Black to OM."

I'm leaning on trying to get on Blue and Black. Sad because I love Coore Crenshaw.

I'd love to get any advice or recs while I obsess over this for the next month before I can book as a non resort guest.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1540362-raholland71-witb/#entry16159836"]WITB[/url]
Titleist TS3 9.5*
Titleist TS3 15*
Titleist 818 H2 19*
Miura CB57 4-6
Miura MB001 7-PW
Vokey SM7 Raw 52*
Vokey V Grind 56*
Vokey Low Bounce K 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport Circle T

Looking to book 36 holes during a trip to Orlando in Mid January.

Based off of this statement "I think Blue is the easiest of the 3, Red the toughest and Black the most fun. I equate Blue to BD, Red to PD, Black to OM."

I'm leaning on trying to get on Blue and Black. Sad because I love Coore Crenshaw.

I'd love to get any advice or recs while I obsess over this for the next month before I can book as a non resort guest.

Comparing Streamsong to Bandon is silly and Blue is firmly in 3rd IMHO.

I don't think there is any point going out there to not play all 3 - but I can understand if you are limited due to other travel plans to only a single day - so you have to play Red and Black IMHO.

And you can see from the course ratings/slope, there's not much difference in their objective difficulty and subjectively golfers will see the courses differently and rate them against their own game accordingly.

I played with a solid player who was flummoxed to the point of calling it tricked up and joke pins, when we played the Black. As I hit 8 iron bump/runs to targets nowhere near the hole to get it close to the hole, he was flying sand wedges at the flag and getting killed for it.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

honestly if i had just 36 holes, i would play blue/red or black/black

i've come to love the greens on the black though my initial review were negative. a couple things. i played the black at the very beginning where they were running the greens 12/13. since the first couple months of opening the black has "soften" and grown in to a WAY better pace.

if you have played the black you would realize those greens should run no more than 10.5 to actually enjoy it.

36 hole with limited daylight red/blue or black/black is the better combo. red/blue shares same club house to enjoy a quick lunch. if you play the black course and want to replay blue/red, you have to shuttle yourself 15/20 minutes pending. too many moving parts imho.

streamsong is not bandon.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Yep. I have a four ball on the black on wait for it.

Black Friday.

is that rate going on now? as in, should i drive up this friday and play 36 :)

florida resident rate only bud and it begins 11/19/18 to 11/26/18; it's resident only; carrying your own bag or bring your own push cart.

I brought my electric motocaddy last time I played black. Only problem that i ran into was the crossing on the par5 hole 4 on the 2nd shot. that was tough since they didn't have a flat surface to pull the cart up.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - played Red yesterday and they were doing a lot of maintenance, all fairways were being sanded for starters - pretty annoying as there was so much work going on you were constantly distracted by all the work crews driving by. Greens were rolling great however. Aside from the maintenance and a foursome they refused to ranger it’s still a solid experience.

Played Black on Friday with my daughter(14) and nephew. We loved it. We shared two caddies who were both great (Matthew and Thorne).

We had a 9:40 tee time. Hit the range and played a couple of holes at the par-three Roundabout course prior to our time. We had after-round drinks at the Bone Valley Pub and a late lunch at the Blue/Red clubhouse. Agree with the sentiment that the Bone Valley is the best spot. Tried to get a rally together for Saturday to play Blue but was shut down.

Chatted with the teaching pro prior to the match and his advice was to use the Texas wedge as much as one can bear. Turned out to be great advice. the green areas are mown very closely.

It was amazing. Loved it.

Went for a 2 day 4 round trip a couple of weeks ago. Overall was a blast, would highly recommend the trip. I think it is almost as good as Bandon, minus the Ocean views, to the point where East Coast folks can sub Streamsong if it is more convenient. Quick thoughts:

1. We played Blue twice, Black and Red once. I think Blue is the easiest of the 3, Red the toughest and Black the most fun. I equate Blue to BD, Red to PD, Black to OM.

2. The courses are super wide/forgiving off the tee...in the 4 rounds, I missed like 6 fairways (and I am not a good driver :))

I loved my experience but I am not sure if I would go again from CA to FL to play at Streamsong, takes me almost same time as to BD :)

Thinking of driving through in a few weeks to visit my grandmother. I live pretty close to Bandon, so your comparisons really help a ton! Thanks for posting. Looks like I'll get a round in going each direction, so it'll be Black for the first round and Blue for the second.

Thinking of driving through in a few weeks to visit my grandmother. I live pretty close to Bandon, so your comparisons really help a ton! Thanks for posting. Looks like I'll get a round in going each direction, so it'll be Black for the first round and Blue for the second.

As a fellow Bandonista, I'd like to dissuade you from coming in with any this vs that notions. In something subjective we all have our IMHOs, but there's nothing in the Blue course where I once thought of Bandon. Playing the Blue felt like playing a less interesting Rawls Course. Red had the usual C&C touches, but I'd lean more towards their Arizona work or Sand Valley. Neither Blue or Red play at all "linksy", while Black does play the firmest of the three in my limited experience.

For what it's worth, I felt Blue was clearly 3 of 3.

F.T.

As a fellow Bandonista, I'd like to dissuade you from coming in with any this vs that notions. In something subjective we all have our IMHOs, but there's nothing in the Blue course where I once thought of Bandon. Playing the Blue felt like playing a less interesting Rawls Course. Red had the usual C&C touches, but I'd lean more towards their Arizona work or Sand Valley. Neither Blue or Red play at all "linksy", while Black does play the firmest of the three in my limited experience.

For what it's worth, I felt Blue was clearly 3 of 3.

Agree with you on Blue, I've long been a Doak fan but I don't find the Blue to be his best work. Some good holes mixed into a fairly bland design. Black has become my favorite, it's the most polarizing of the 3 but when you've played it a few times you really start to appreciate it more. Red is solid, it reminds me a bit of Trinity Forest and Austin Golf Club.

Hole 2 on Black always makes me want to go back!

That par4 hole 2 on the black is one of the toughest hole to hold.

You need to be as far left off the tee as much as possible to give you room on the approach shot. A wedge from the middle of the fairway never gets it done. I’m tempted to hit a 5i into the hill and pop it on the green the next time I’m there. It’s almoat a guaranteed bogey if you’re behind the flag.

I used to think the red course was the best. But I’ve been to streamsong about 5/6 times this year already and we’ve only played the Black course. Given 10 rounds I would play the black course 8/9 times and red 1 time. A far contrast from when I first initially thought of the black course. It’s so good.

The finishing holes on the blue is no fun. My buddy who is a plus player played from tips on blue and the par5 hole 17 was 650 yards or something like that and uphill. I just think that’s dumb.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x