Streamsong Tips?

dmitchell165

Hole 2 on Black always makes me want to go back!

That par4 hole 2 on the black is one of the toughest hole to hold.

You need to be as far left off the tee as much as possible to give you room on the approach shot. A wedge from the middle of the fairway never gets it done. I'm tempted to hit a 5i into the hill and pop it on the green the next time I'm there. It's almoat a guaranteed bogey if you're behind the flag.

I used to think the red course was the best. But I've been to streamsong about 5/6 times this year already and we've only played the Black course. Given 10 rounds I would play the black course 8/9 times and red 1 time. A far contrast from when I first initially thought of the black course. It's so good.

The finishing holes on the blue is no fun. My buddy who is a plus player played from tips on blue and the par5 hole 17 was 650 yards or something like that and uphill. I just think that's dumb.

amazing to read this. That green KILLS me everytime. I hate it yet it keeps me coming back trying to stick it. I wonder if once the greens settle even more it will become more receptive. I think my priginal review on the black course was slightly more negative than it should have been due to that specific green.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ha! my initial opinion was I hated it. And no, the greens have already settled in. This is how it's going to play moving forward and I love it!

My caddie told me to play middle of the fairway on the tee last weekend. I kept telling him we need to go left side. He keeps disagreeing. I didn't know the pin location that day so i agreed with him.

Pin was left side, slightly right of the false front and right in front of the dipping part of the green. I had 105 yards left and hit my sand wedge. I can see it clearly 1 bounce near the flag and rolled to the back. My buddy did the same thing. He then took a wedge to chip and I putted from the back of the green. He post a double, i post a bogey.

It's so so good for being such a short hole and shows to prove you don't need stupid length to make a hole good. I really really like it.

I also changed my strategy on hole 14 short par4. Took a 3 wood and flare it way right to give me a pitching wedge from 40 yards in. I bumped it into the hill and popped it on the correct tier. I had a legit 10 footer for birdie and it was the first time I par that hole in like EVER. The first time i played that hole I drove the green and 5/6 putted.

There's so many different ways and quirks to play the black. You got to keep playing it and figuring it out, like a good good puzzle.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up booking a one night stay with Black the afternoon of arrival and blue and red the next day.

How necessary are dinner reservations? I'm not too worried about it since it will be such a quick trip but if there's anything that's can't miss I'd rather be out in front of it

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1540362-raholland71-witb/#entry16159836"]WITB[/url]
Titleist TS3 9.5*
Titleist TS3 15*
Titleist 818 H2 19*
Miura CB57 4-6
Miura MB001 7-PW
Vokey SM7 Raw 52*
Vokey V Grind 56*
Vokey Low Bounce K 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport Circle T

no need to make dinner reservation; as a single you can sit at the bar if there's no table.

florida resident rates should be available during holidays till first week of january starting next weekend.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

also i previously said you couldn't push a cart on hole4, par5 but i found out behind the 2nd shot to cross the creek and up the dunes there's a pathway. you would have to hit your 2nd shot and walk backwards.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

florida resident rates should be available during holidays till first week of january starting next weekend.

Did you receive an email about this deal yet? I’ve been waiting for this again as we did the Black in January right after New Years.

Titleist             TSR3 10* w/ Tensei 1k white
Callaway       Apex 19' 3 hybrid w/ Nippon GOST tour stiff

NCW                Tour Department DW mid muscle MB 4-PW w/ Modus 105 S
Vokey            SM8 50f, 56s, 60m
Bettinardi       Studio Stock 17

also plenty of tee time; the rate isn't updated online when you book it with your credit card but from my previous experience by time i get there they charge me different rate than stated.

it's been like this since year 2 of the resort opening.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Going to be down in a few weeks and think I might try to trek up from Englewood and play a round (have played Sarasota, Heron, Myakka). Now that the Black has been open for awhile and folks have had time to let it marinade...is Red still the prevailing favorite over it? Probably won't make it back to play the others would be my guess.

i think i've played the black course about 5 times this year already and the red/blue 1 time each. I used to play the red course 5 times a year and blue 1 time.

it's a course that keeps growing on you the more you play it. best course at streamsong. and complete opposite of my review the FIRST time i played there.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

oh come on; 120 is over priced? Check TPC tampa rates right now. 116.63. Lake Jovita is 69.00. Copperhead. 275.00. Fox Hollow 57.45. Lakewood National 99.00

let's not be delusional now.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

oh come on; 120 is over priced? Check TPC tampa rates right now. 116.63. Lake Jovita is 69.00. Copperhead. 275.00. Fox Hollow 57.45. Lakewood National 99.00

let's not be delusional now.

I would say several of those are overpriced as well.

Yes, $120+cart+caddie+awful drive is overpriced. $120 is not the actual cost of a round of golf at streamsong. They need to do away with the fore caddie rule. I really don’t need or want someone helping me read putts and I’ve played the courses before so I don’t need them telling me my lines off each tee.

it is when you bring your own push cart or carry your own bag. so yes, 120 is the green fee. oh forgot to add tax and don't forget to tip the valet.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

a trip to sand valley or kohler which i would say is comparable to streamsong in that it's a "resort" style golf affair is whatever green fee plus plane ticket plus housing plus car rental plus the awful 2-3 hour drive from the airport.

as a florida resident, it's a no brainer.

big picture guys. BIG PICTURE.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Attached. This is walking rate. Bring your own cart or carry your own bag. Best course in the world. =P

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Booked my round with a few friends for January 5th on the Black course.

Titleist             TSR3 10* w/ Tensei 1k white
Callaway       Apex 19' 3 hybrid w/ Nippon GOST tour stiff

NCW                Tour Department DW mid muscle MB 4-PW w/ Modus 105 S
Vokey            SM8 50f, 56s, 60m
Bettinardi       Studio Stock 17

it is when you bring your own push cart or carry your own bag. so yes, 120 is the green fee. oh forgot to add tax and don't forget to tip the valet.

Then back the cart fee and forecaddie fee out of the other courses you listed because carts are included in those prices. If you take a cart a caddy isn’t required there so effectively they are, what, $85-120 cheaper than Streamsong for those that don’t want to walk?

cart fee are usually 25 bucks but most florida courses do not welcome walking; Copperhead is mandatory cart and a 275.00 price tag; there are also courses in florida that won't allow walking on a saturday morning, i.e

the fact that you're allowed to walk a course in florida during peak season should be seen as privilege instead of a hindrance;

walking is mandatory at Erin Hills at 300 for green fees. If you want to grab a caddie, they tack on a $30 dollar caddie fee and you pay the caddie yourself 75-100. Playing at old memorial is a mandatory 100 caddie fee on top of the green fee with no cart available unless you qualify for ADA.

the point is at 120 green fee to carry your own bag is a bargain considering the value you're getting (top 100 public course) in the world. You can always play at baardmour for 60 bucks(peak season) with a cart and don't have to drive down the two lane roads to streamsong. Saves you a drive and saves you some money. But to compare prices of a local muni to a world class course like the streamsong resorts is really unfair.

also, lakewood national rates goes up to 149.00 beginning 1/1/19. Of course you save money cuz you get a cart.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

To give you a little perspective, pebble beach will cost me 3k and doesn’t include plane tickets for two or car rental or caddie fee and I’d argue I have a way better time at streamsong. It’s better pace and way more interesting than pebble beach. There are those who call it blasphemy but only reason I’m going to pebble is wife wanted to hang out in Monterey. Gladly pay 120 green fees at streamsong than the rate at pebble. And streamsong is a much more interesting resort than pebble. Way more fun walking the black than pebble. Yes I’m ready for the ammunition!

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

To give you a little perspective, pebble beach will cost me 3k and doesn’t include plane tickets for two or car rental or caddie fee and I’d argue I have a way better time at streamsong. It’s better pace and way more interesting than pebble beach. There are those who call it blasphemy but only reason I’m going to pebble is wife wanted to hang out in Monterey. Gladly pay 120 green fees at streamsong than the rate at pebble. And streamsong is a much more interesting resort than pebble. Way more fun walking the black than pebble. Yes I’m ready for the ammunition!

OK? I have no desire to play Pebble either because I believe it’s extremely overpriced.

I have a far better experience in a cart for $199 flat fee for the summer season + $39 every time I play at Old Corkscrew than walking Streamsong with a bunch of guys I don’t know. No one I know would walk 18 holes in Florida especially in the summer. So for me that doesn’t want to walk 18 holes, which I believe requires you to tee off before a certain time without a caddie, Streamsong is effectively ~ $240-$250, not $120.

but current rates for old corkscrew is 70 bucks. you're talking about summer rates where everything in florida is cheap. This is winter time and peak season. Corkscrew isn't even in the same atmosphere as streamsong.

I've walked streamsong multiple times during summer where we tee off before 8am and it was an easy walk; and not walking with strangers is a personal preference for you but i did meet a member at dallas national at streamsong and have an standing invite there when i'm in dallas.

try to be a bit more open minded and plenty of opportunities everywhere.

Walking is the way the game should be played. that's not just an opinion but i see more hacks riding carts and blasting their radio than walkers.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

some of the nicest courses in the world is walking only so I don't see why you have such gripes with walking at a said price;

florida golfing community has really spoiled people with buggies and carts and skateboards. Such a shame.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

And to put into some more perspective. There’s only 2 other walking only clubs in tampa bay;

From top of my head the rate for

concession is 450 unaccompanied. (That’s what they were asking me over the summer so there’s no discount there)

Old memorial is 300 unaccompanied.

Both require caddies so tack on another 100-120.

For those who enjoy the walk at a much stronger course, it’s only 120 at streamsong. So much value.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

but current rates for old corkscrew is 70 bucks. you're talking about summer rates where everything in florida is cheap. This is winter time and peak season. Corkscrew isn't even in the same atmosphere as streamsong.

I've walked streamsong multiple times during summer where we tee off before 8am and it was an easy walk; and not walking with strangers is a personal preference for you but i did meet a member at dallas national at streamsong and have an standing invite there when i'm in dallas.

try to be a bit more open minded and plenty of opportunities everywhere.

Walking is the way the game should be played. that's not just an opinion but i see more hacks riding carts and blasting their radio than walkers.

That’s what you’re not getting. For a FLORIDA RESIDENT Streamsong is not a destination course. I’m not even really sure it is for non-residents. You keep throwing out actual destination golf courses/experiences like Pebble. There’s a little more to do and see in Carmel, CA than bumfuck-nowhere, FL.

There is no longer a summer rate at Streamsong like they used to have which was my previous point on this thread and another thread specifically on the topic.

The whole “golf should be played waking” mentally is what’s killing the game. No one my age wants to spend 4.5 hours walking. They want to play with friends while playing their radio and ride and not pay $240 to do so. Sorry, but if you want to kill future generations of players you sure have the right attitude and model.

Don’t know about you but after being in an office 60-80 hours a week and being able to get away from the office to a place that’s not even close to looking like Florida makes this an amazing value for Florida resident which you don’t understand. Its much much cheaper than flying to similar destination in Ireland or Scotland or Wisconsin without the plane ticket. At sand valley you can’t do anything but golf. There’s nothing around there. What’s your point? Steamsong is all about golf and it’s pretty good at it.

It’s also 120 plus tax not the 240 as you claim during the winter holiday which is a peak season in Florida and the summer Florida resident rate is still there. Did you even go this summer? Cuz I did and I for sure paid a Florida rate.

People that are killing the game are people playing 5 hours rounds in carts while they blast the radio and get stupid with zero golf etiquette. I played with 2 30 handicapper walking mammoth dunes and we finished our round exactly in 4 hours. They walked and talked and golf.

It’s the cart riding lazy bums of golf that slow things down while they check their phones and blast the music that ruins golf.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x