2017 Callaway X Forged (2018 Spotted Pics)

Konklifer

To be clear, wasn't saying the X Forged wasn't a bit bigger...just not as big as some pics will make it look in comparison...I agree it is a bit bigger all the way around but still a nice players iron size iron...!!

Thanks for posting the opposite pic...!! Funny thing Eye dominance and what it does when looking at things side by side!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my first round in this morning with x forged/apex Mb combo and loving them. My set up fits me perfectly and the feel at impact is better than I could have hoped for.

How did you split them? What shafts?

X forged in 6,7,8

Apex MB in 9,W

C taper lite 110 hardstepped 1x

Nice!!! I am going 4-7 in X Forged and 8-PW in Apex MB, Modus 120X.

Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

I’m bummed. Sets are coming in early and mine is on a three week backorder.

What shaft did you choose?

KBS Tour V. I’m considering changing to $-Taper. The CS rep I talked to said that it most likely wouldn’t be that long but they have been absolutely flooded with orders so they won’t be here for a little bit.

I ordered my x-forged with the $-taper in black. You can probably get s+ but it would be considered an exotic shaft and you’d have to pay the upcharge cost.

Was the s-taper black any upcharge?

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

Yes, considered an exotic shaft.

what was the upcharge for $ black by chance?

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

Classic Callaway design. I wonder how this compares to the TM 790

They don't at all. True players iron vs GI iron trying to look less GI. These will have true lofts, fly shorter, and spin more than the 790. Not even the same category.

Actually the lofts are somewhat strong. 45* PW. Can't help but think Phil played a role in that.

Stock spec on the 2013 Forged PW is 46* per my spec sheet that came with my clubs and I also checked Iron Spec .com

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

X Forged still looks bigger to my eye. I got flamed for stating that earlier in this thread but I stand by the assertion that the X Forged is slightly bigger overall than the Apex Pro. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

head size looks the same. X forged has longer neck which makes it look larger to me

Perhaps. All I know is I played Apex Pro for two straight years and when I look down at the X Forged at address it looks slightly bigger to my eye. Again, it looks great, just slightly bigger to me. Regardless, I'll be playing my first round with them tomorrow morning and will report back on the performance.

I played the Apex Pro this season and will be switching to the X Forged 18. To my eye, the top line is thicker on the X Forged and the blade length is longer. Apex Pro is more rounded.

I know we all want to love our new stuff when we get it. Many times, we work with irons, wedges, woods and alike trying like heck to make them work. For those that have received their new set, what don't you like about them at this point? Let's hear things like.......lower traj than expected, not as forgiving, shorter distances than expected.......anything. Just would like to hear the downside(s)....or not so glowing comments at this point. Anyone?

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I know we all want to love our new stuff when we get it. Many times, we work with irons, wedges, woods and alike trying like heck to make them work. For those that have received their new set, what don't you like about them at this point? Let's hear things like.......lower traj than expected, not as forgiving, shorter distances than expected.......anything. Just would like to hear the downside(s)....or not so glowing comments at this point. Anyone?

mine were supposedly on back order but I just found out that they're out for delivery today. I'll let you know what I find. I've heard from multiple people that the X forged launch really high so we'll see how that goes.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

mine were supposedly on back order but I just found out that they're out for delivery today. I'll let you know what I find. I've heard from multiple people that the X forged launch really high so we'll see how that goes.

Testing with same shaft, found they launched no higher than Apex Pro, Apex MB, Srixon 765. All in the 16-17* range for me, mid to low 5000's in spin with Callaway CSX, just sayin.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Good to know......I'm up in Dayton and am waiting on mine too.

Testing with same shaft, found they launched no higher than Apex Pro, Apex MB, Srixon 765. All in the 16-17* range for me, mid to low 5000's in spin with Callaway CSX, just sayin.

Got two sets coming.......one with my trusty Tour V's and the other with Modus 3 Tour 105's.

Coming from srixons 765, it appears my x forged might be spinning a little more than I'm used to. Ball flight is up too but I'm not 100% sold on that being due to the head since I did go down in shaft flex from 115x to 110s hardstepped. Distances are about 5 yds shorter than I'm used to but dispersion is better so I'm okay with the shorter distance

Coming from srixons 765, it appears my x forged might be spinning a little more than I'm used to. Ball flight is up too but I'm not 100% sold on that being due to the head since I did go down in shaft flex from 115x to 110s hardstepped. Distances are about 5 yds shorter than I'm used to but dispersion is better so I'm okay with the shorter distance

We need to get you the right shafts!!! Tinker-Tinkerer!!!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Got two sets coming.......one with my trusty Tour V's and the other with Modus 3 Tour 105's.

Two sets....damn I have like 300 dollars toward my 1st set hopefully will have enough raised in the spring

Yes, considered an exotic shaft.

Was the black shaft being installed at Callaway or at a custom club builder?

yes, at Callaway

MY rep told me that the black is not an option?

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

Loving my setup so far. See sig

Titleist TSR 3 / Ventus Blue 6-X

Titleist TSR 3W 15* / Ventus Blue 7-X
Callaway Apex 20* / Tour AD DI 85x
Callaway X-Forged '18 4i-PW/ Modus3 Tour 125x

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore Tour Rack 50.10 / 54.12 / 58.10 / DG TI S400

Odyssey Jailbird 380 WH

Are my eyes deceiving me, or are these a little more angular at address than the Apex Pros? I have the Pros in the bag and they are the best performers I’ve ever owned. My only complaints are that the feel is not QUITE as soft as the prior version, and the short irons (8,9,p) are a little bulbous looking. I’d prefer a bit sharper lines at address. Are these my next irons?

Also, how does the sole width and grind compare to the Apex Pros. Whatever Callaway did with the Pros is perfection as far as I’m concerned. Did they change anything with these?

Are my eyes deceiving me, or are these a little more angular at address than the Apex Pros? I have the Pros in the bag and they are the best performers I’ve ever owned. My only complaints are that the feel is not QUITE as soft as the prior version, and the short irons (8,9,p) are a little bulbous looking. I’d prefer a bit sharper lines at address. Are these my next irons?

Also, how does the sole width and grind compare to the Apex Pros. Whatever Callaway did with the Pros is perfection as far as I’m concerned. Did they change anything with these?

So if you read some of my posts in the #theWRX thread I said the same thing about the Apex Pros I was fit for. They performed great and all but I wasn’t wild about the 7-pw as they looked a little too rounded for my tastes.

Laying the X Forged down is a whole new ball game for me. The shape is a wee bit more squared off compared to the apex pro and they have that wonderful one piece forged feel.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

Paul, how do the new XF compared in size to the AP?

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Paul, how do the new XF compared in size to the AP?

It’s hard to say. They’re really similar but I think they appear slightly bigger.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

• 2 weeks later...

i got to hit them today. both felt great. both had px shafts, so overall they felt a little light. x forged def launched a little higher. same distances for both mb and x forged. I hit my s55 next to them and distances were all the same, the s55 launched like the x forged. I prefer my modus to the px. the s55 is like a hybrid of the x forged and mb size wise, sits right in between.

overall, didn't like the shape of the x forged in person....something was a little off to me in the heel area, and the mb I didn't like the chrome but the shape was better. Great irons, but nothing stood out that would make me switch. I know I will get flamed, but the s55 felt every bit as good, as did the mp32 I have.

i got to hit them today. both felt great. both had px shafts, so overall they felt a little light. x forged def launched a little higher. same distances for both mb and x forged. I hit my s55 next to them and distances were all the same, the s55 launched like the x forged. I prefer my modus to the px. the s55 is like a hybrid of the x forged and mb size wise, sits right in between.

overall, didn't like the shape of the x forged in person....something was a little off to me in the heel area, and the mb I didn't like the chrome but the shape was better. Great irons, but nothing stood out that would make me switch. I know I will get flamed, but the s55 felt every bit as good, as did the mp32 I have.

I've played the s series from ping for years. Went with the odd numbers (s59, s57, s55). Currently play a set of iblades. The softness/feel of the x-forged and a desire to try out a new shaft are why I switched.