Older PING G irons vs G Series/G400

dxdgenert

It seems, to me, that the older G irons (G2 through G30) were just improvements over the previous models. Am I "correct" in assuming the real design change came with the G Series, proper?

I have the chance to pick up a nice used set of G Series but am not sure that it would be a huge upgrade from my G15's. I like the feel of the G Series but not the sound. That was my only takeaway after hitting both indoors.

I used the search function but couldn't really find a comparison.

Thoughts?

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than feel, I do not see much difference. I have played pretty much all the G series irons dating back to the G2. I have a set of the 15's and have hit the G's and G400 against them. I have hit similar lofts against my 15's (actual loft not the number in the sole) and there is no noticeable difference. My 23* 4 iron vs the new 24* 5 iron is similar. Distance is within 2-3 yards and accuracy is indistinguishable. I would save my money.

Other than feel, I do not see much difference. I have played pretty much all the G series irons dating back to the G2. I have a set of the 15's and have hit the G's and G400 against them. I have hit similar lofts against my 15's (actual loft not the number in the sole) and there is no noticeable difference. My 23* 4 iron vs the new 24* 5 iron is similar. Distance is within 2-3 yards and accuracy is indistinguishable. I would save my money.

I

Are you agreeing?

MTLJeff or Nessism, I am a disciple of yours, regarding the PING G line of irons. Any thoughts?

I think the G30 was the last of the traditional Ping G series irons and that's probably

why they didn't continue the numbering scheme and have a G35, etc. I haven't

bought or hit any of the latest G series but it's my understanding they went to the

more springy face/trampoline face to compete in the distance game.

The G series always had a good solid feel to them because the face was reinforced.

If you guys think the new Gs don't feel as good it's probably because of the springy

face. Just a guess.

Save your money and stick with the G15s. Unless you want a 'thinner' top line and a 'player' looking GI iron, go with the G400. Hit your G15s vs. G400s and see if there is a diff.?! Bet there isn't?! ;)

Ping Traverse

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

TM P790 5-AW

TM Hi Toe 3 54/58*

TM TP Black Soto

TP5

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Get the G25s. They had all the forgiveness of the G15/G20 in a slimmer package. IMO, they were among the very best irons PING ever made. The G-series was a step back, IMO.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

Thanks for all of the replies. I never upgraded to the G20, 25 or 30 because the differences, to me, from the G15 were marginal and cosmetic. You guys know how it is... Ho's gotta ho. I saw the G Series deal and got to thinking. Glad I held off.

The G series irons were a real step forward in the design of these GI irons. They have a much more active face and stronger lofts to improve flight and landing/ stopping ability. But the biggest improvement for me was the overall look. All the previous G irons were pretty clumsy and chunky while the G iron looked more like an I iron with a little offset. They were able to sculp the top line to look so much better at address and lessen the back of the iron sticking out into view as well. I tried them all but didn't purchase a set until the G irons came out and think they will be in my bag for some years to come too. Personally I think you're passing up an opportunity if you don't at least try them or the newer G400 irons. Just my opinion.

I play G20s in white dot 4-PW, CFS stiff steel shaft. Short irons are dead straight maybe baby draw and the 4-7 irons I have to play for a 5-10 yard draw.

Look chunky but they launch the ball skyward and it drops and stops. I don't really see how you can make an iron any easier to hit than these. I'm sure the new models are great, but I'm sticking with my old trustys.

Seems to be the consensus.

Get the G25s. They had all the forgiveness of the G15/G20 in a slimmer package. IMO, they were among the very best irons PING ever made. The G-series was a step back, IMO.

I was getting on here to post the same exact thing. I didn't care for the feel of the G-series vs previous models. Besides that, ferrules on a G-iron just don't seem right....

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

The differences between models in the G series are minor. I have played G2, G5, G15, and now G. I could easily go back to playing any of those sets. The G15 felt the best, but they looked a little chunky. The G looks the best, but the feel is more on the harsh side compared to the others.

I get better results and ball flight with the G, so that's why I "upgraded". The tech in the G iron is an improvement over the previous generations IMO. I have not hit the new G400.

I don't think you are missing anything with your G15's. As an owner of both for multiple seasons, I can honestly say that the G works a little bit better for me BUT I would be just as happy playing the G15.

I'll echo the sentiment of the others and support the stay with the G15's sentiment.

Regarding the ferrules, they ease the building process (no fussing to be sure to get a smooth epoxy fillet at the top of the hosel) and reduce the tendency of the joint to creak, which is a common ferruleless Ping trait. I suspect that's at least partly why Ping made the change.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

My favorite G series were the G25. Played nearly all since the I/G 5 and went back and forth between several until settling on i5's for quite some time and then G 25's after that.

Switched to the iE1 this year from the G as the sole on the G gave me some issues. I'm a sweeper and the last set of Ping's that worked really well for me were the G25 until the iE1's this year.

That being said I have a set of Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metals on the way to try out. Love the extra forgiveness of the G series but prefer the turf interaction of the iE1, i5 or even the old G25.

The extra bounce/sole width on the G just did not work well with my swing.

My favorite G series were the G25. Played nearly all since the I/G 5 and went back and forth between several until settling on i5's for quite some time and then G 25's after that.

Switched to the iE1 this year from the G as the sole on the G gave me some issues. I'm a sweeper and the last set of Ping's that worked really well for me were the G25 until the iE1's this year.

That being said I have a set of Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metals on the way to try out. Love the extra forgiveness of the G series but prefer the turf interaction of the iE1, i5 or even the old G25.

The extra bounce/sole width on the G just did not work well with my swing.

I also went from the G-series to the ie1's this year. Not to get sidetracked from the thread, but I was surprised how much forgiveness these thing have in a tidier package. Im an 8 and never considered i's, but glad I did.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

Im a 2 now playing mp30s currently. I hit 7 iron 175 with these so im not looking for the extra distance. I was testing the g400 with x100 shaft and spent a lot of time hitting punch shots, fades, draws, and everything inbetween. Can do everything the mp30s do just dont feel as nice. Seriously considering them for my next set. I hit less than 50% gir so hoping they could maybe help me out a little get into that 10-12 range. Also i looked up g25 irons and they seem to be holding value better than other g range irons? Are they that popular?

Im a 2 now playing mp30s currently. I hit 7 iron 175 with these so im not looking for the extra distance. I was testing the g400 with x100 shaft and spent a lot of time hitting punch shots, fades, draws, and everything inbetween. Can do everything the mp30s do just dont feel as nice. Seriously considering them for my next set. I hit less than 50% gir so hoping they could maybe help me out a little get into that 10-12 range. Also i looked up g25 irons and they seem to be holding value better than other g range irons? Are they that popular?

The G25s are a little smaller than the previous Gs and have the beveled sole that

looks less like an airport runway than the previous Gs. Ping was giving them a more

compact look which proved pretty popular. The G30s are the same but have stronger

lofts; which some like and some don't.

G400 are the best offering yet. They look the best, perform the best and feel the best. Nothing wrong with the older ones, but there have been improvements, not only in the club, but in the shaft as well. It would be a mistake to not even look at them. I'm a 16 handicap and had my two best rounds of the year with the G400 series. I had an 85 first time out with them, and this past weekend an 81, with a 2 over 37 on the back nine. Proof is in the scoring, best rounds of the year for me with the G400 irons. The absolute best game improvement irons out there!

Just did a fitting and put my ego aside, ended up ordering g400 4-pw with KBS tours. Great numbers on the monitor compared to my aging mx23's i'm now longer getting along with. Then we moved outside and were stupid easy to hit off the turf, i've been struggling with consistent ballstriking (probably somewhat mental) but looking forward to the increased forgiveness and confidence.

• 2 weeks later...

I went back to the shop today, with every intention of snagging that set of PING G irons for the amazing deal but they were gone. My inner ho was too strong and I was was weak but the golf gods saved me and my G15's! Looks like they'll remain in the bag for another year, at least.

I love my G15's. Since I got them, I play much less, have had two children and gained 20 pounds. Some part of me was hoping a change would do me good! The fact that G irons were gone, was the cosmos' way of reminding me how much the G15's changed my game and deserved to stay. Maybe I'll use that money to get a poor man's hitting bay in the garage ?

• 2 weeks later...

I love my G15's. Since I got them, I play much less, have had two children and gained 20 pounds. Some part of me was hoping a change would do me good! The fact that G irons were gone, was the cosmos' way of reminding me how much the G15's changed my game and deserved to stay. Maybe I'll use that money to get a poor man's hitting bay in the garage

Well, you saved yourself some bucks by not buying the G's, now go put some nice new grips on those G15's and love 'em a little longer !