• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• eagle1997

• dcmidnight

Prob much easier over time withOUT the bunker there...for the course conditions. Too many time with bunkers close to greens things are affected with sand relocated to the putting surface, which affects the agronomy, upkeep, intended playability, everything.

Yeah, and I've been in it and they keep it thick and it's probably a half stroke penalty, in the ball park of bunkers.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

If you need to clean your ball, mark it with your toe and put it back down. Otherwise, if it's not in someone's line, there's no reason a ball has to be picked up.

this is exactly what i've been doing recently. i know it's permitted by the RoG, just couldn't remember the exact rule. since i'll likely be doing this on friday, i figured it behooved me to find out the verbiage. turns out it was made explicit in a decision.

Note that there is no penalty if a player uses some other object to mark their ball (e.g their putter head, a tee or a loose impediment), providing it is physically marked; it is not sufficient to use an existing mark on the ground to mark the position of a ball, Decision 20-1/16.

i remember asking fabbo to mark his ball while i was putting when we were going head-to-head in the capitol cup. i was lining up a 15 foot birdie putt, and he's over there fidgeting with lining up his par putt from 12 feet. i wanted to mess with him a little bit and asked him to stop, and mark his ball. he kinda gave me a WTF is your problem look, and did it. if you remember, this was when fabb had some sort of ping monstrosity in the bag and was fighting his putting stroke something fierce. i missed, he made, so much for messing with him, lol.

such good times. definitely missing the capitol cup against you guys this year. we're playing sterling golf club, on their home course. won't be the same by a long shot.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I don't remember any minute details of that day - they've been PTSD blocked from my memory. So I don't remember the fine points of that story, but I certainly remember you asking me to mark that ball. If the line from your ball to the hole was 6 o'clock, my ball was over at 9 o'clock. And it was far enough from the hole to be completely out of your visual field. If anything, asking me to mark it made me think just enough about how nucking futs you are, that it temporarily distracted me from how nucking futs I was with that stupid PING putter. I've never missed so many 3-footers in my life as I did with that thing. Not just misses - I wasn't even sniffing the hole. Yeesh.

you remember 17 tho. VIVIDLY. domes can remind you if need be. lol.

and of course you weren't in my line or anything really troublesome. that was part of why i made you mark it. it amused me.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

defnitely missing the capitol cup against you guys this year. we're playing sterling golf club, on their home course. won't be the same by a long shot.

GO STERLING GOLF CLUB! BEAT THAT COMMIE DCGOLFTOUR! AND THEIR CHEATING COMMIE PREZ WHO CONNED US INTO A 3 HOLE AGGREGATE PLAYOFF!

All par 3 course too. Kind of cool way to compete.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

my little guy pounding whitey at rt 29 range.

2fxnka.gif

ball goes about 50 yards, sometimes more. occasionally straight. got that DJ wrist at the top, and transfers weight to the left heel nicely.

the three step shuffle before impact KILLS me tho. no idea how he makes contact at all.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Got a case of the Don't Give a Flying Fs at work today and headed over to Belvoir to play. The place is a dogtrack now. Horrible condition. Fairways dead or filled with crab grass. Greens slow AF. Probably running at a negative 4. 1st hole, I had a 20 footer. Had 6 feet left. I played the Gunston course today. 5875 yds from the tippies. Front 9, 2820 yds par 34. Played front like a righty playing lefty. Nice +9. Back 9, 6 one-putts in a row (all under 5 feet) and -1. 43/35 for a 78. Met up with two younger guys, military police. Funny as hell and HAMMERED. Very entertaining round.

Fairwinds Brewery in Springfield after the round. The place is always packed and the beers are outstanding. Nice and buzzy for the ride home.

I have NO desire to go to work tomorrow. I am deep in the summer doldrums. Might me a hot tub and bourbon night tonight

All the things City loves in one post - flow neck mallet putters, and feet!

http://www.golfwrx.c...lded-flow-neck/

You know what gets me. . .

iI's not like there are all these pictures out there of clubs with shod feet in the background, and occasionally some people have bare feet.

Every. One. who puts feet in their pictures has bare feet. I NEVER see shod feet. At least that guy has the golfer's tan on his feet.

I've probably said this before, but I used to grind and brush mig welds for a blacksmith. It took a lot of time, a little bit of touch, a little bit of art and sometimes it can go wrong. Leaving raw welds. . .it would be like leaving seams in your drywall in your house.

I guarantee someone told Scotty Cameron "we can save 15 minutes on every putter if we don't grind the welds" and Cameron went, "If I can sell a $400 headcover, I can sell that. We'll call it a rustic look." I want to see Bae leave drywall seams in his new kitchen and call it the rustic look.

If anyone bought a putter with a "ding" in the face the size of this weld-damaged, they would send it back. . .

On the other hand, it's not going to affect performance. I'm the last guy who gives a crap what his putter looks like; I use some pretty ugly equipment but at least I like to feel like the company finished working on it.

Hey, look, it's the rustic look. . .

repairing-drywall-ceiling-seam-cracks-drywall-cracks-home-design-3d-online.jpg

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I was musing on how garbage I seem to score at Turf Valley Original yesterday, and decided to take a look at the grint to see what gives. I've got 10 rounds with stats posted on TV-O, so enough to get a general idea of my performance there.

I've always felt like I make nothing out there - the stats back that up. Total putts, GIR putts, and non-GIR putt averages are all higher than my overall averages for all rounds. Total putts average is just over 2 full strokes higher than my overall. I tend to get lazy with reading putts, just taking a general look from behind my ball. With the subtleties in the greens there, that approach seems to F me in the A quite a bit. I hit a putt, and end up confounded on how it breaks the way it does at the hole. Then I walk up to the hole, and can see and feel the slope there that I didn't see from my ball.

Fairway and GIR averages are basically spot-on with my overall. Now I know that doesn't take proximity into account, but it lends some credence to the idea that I putt worse there independently of other parts of my game.

I also looked at hole performance, and there are two very big no-nos that stick out. I average nearly bogey on two of the par 5s - 1, and 14. They're not easy 5s, but they're not holes I should be bogeying. The first hole inevitably comes down to tee shot. I've been blocking my tee ball into the creek that cuts in down the right regularly. For a hole that is essentially a 0% go for it, there's just no reason to be playing myself out of the hole right off the tee. I can't seem to get comfortable visually with playing the correct line, so I'm going to try hitting 3w off the tee there a few times, to at least keep myself short of reaching the creek where it cuts in on the right. 14 is just me being a total dink, and going for it from places I have no business going for it. There are many times I've tried to hit it over this tree that blocks you out from the green when you're on the left side of the hole, only to clip it and have my ball fall short of the green in the water. That's just stupid. I've been in the creek short of that green way too many times. Barring a hybrid or less in hand, and absolute perfect position, I'm done going for that green.

The second hole is also nearly bogey average. At least it's a challenging hole, but I need to get better with my tee shot there. I want to hit 3w there more often, but then I get out there and the wind is dead into me and I feel like I have to hit driver.

I average bogey on 3, which is just dumb. It's like a mid iron at most, and I hit that green at like a 25% lower clip than I hit all par 3 greens in reg. It's also a yuge green. At the very least, I can hit the center of that thing, and deal with whatever putts that leaves me.

I went through a similar exercise when I was playing Hobbits a bunch, and legit dropped my handicap just by refining my home course strategy.

So what I'm saying is I'm gonna take all this information, and still lay a giant turd next time I play TV-O.

I think Turf is a difficult putting course. The tendency is to over-read breaks there.

There was an interesting line in the NLU podcast today. They were talking to a golf course designer/restorer and Soly says (paraphrasing), "I like greens with large contours, but I don't like when I have subtle double breakers on 10 footers". He wasn't saying he likes "easy" greens. He was kind of saying that you need to be in the right section and come in at the right angle, but if you hit a good shot, close, you should be able to make a putt.

I know what he's talking about. I always felt -- for instance -- the greens at Worthington had 3 putt written all over them if you were in the wrong section, but when you were near a hole, you might have a lot of break, but it was break you could read, and play. They're severe there, but they're readable.

I seem to have more putts at Turf that I think are in when they have two feet to go and find a way to wiggle off the hole.

That podcast also made me want to go out to Turf with a saw and a skidder and take down about 15 trees that would make a huge difference.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I'm certainly not doing it to get my cap up so I can win net at Hive events.

Counterpoint: I am doing it to get my cap up to win net at Hive events, just not well enough.

Countercounterpoint: I am doing it to get my cap up to win net at Hive events, and it is working, but it's impossible to win when you don't actually play.

Interesting take on architecture, with a shout out to Scotland. . .addressing the idea that criticizing courses like Bellerive is golf "snobbery". . .

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Counterpoint: I am doing it to get my cap up to win net at Hive events, just not well enough.

Countercounterpoint: I am doing it to get my cap up to win net at Hive events, and it is working, but it's impossible to win when you don't actually play.

we haven't had a double digit handicap winner of a NET hive event since trolls in april.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Interesting take on architecture, with a shout out to Scotland. . .addressing the idea that criticizing courses like Bellerive is golf "snobbery". . .

https://twitter.com/...431430659489792

Can't go to the link, but agree with the bold.

I find the architecture stuff interesting, but it's starting to get fatiguing.

I was venturing out into the wild the other day, and found this topic that I thought was interesting. Then I read this post.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1677844-discussing-widthstrategic-options-using-shot-gained/page__st__60#entry17853682

giphy.gif

It's another faced of the game to take interest in, but some people seem to be taking it to the extreme. Like if they're not playing a "strategic" golf course, it's not worth playing at all. GTFO. I'll cut some holes in a cow pasture and smack the golf ball around before I opt to not play at all.

Got a case of the Don't Give a Flying Fs at work today and headed over to Belvoir to play. The place is a dogtrack now. Horrible condition. Fairways dead or filled with crab grass. Greens slow AF. Probably running at a negative 4. 1st hole, I had a 20 footer. Had 6 feet left. I played the Gunston course today. 5875 yds from the tippies. Front 9, 2820 yds par 34. Played front like a righty playing lefty. Nice +9. Back 9, 6 one-putts in a row (all under 5 feet) and -1. 43/35 for a 78. Met up with two younger guys, military police. Funny as hell and HAMMERED. Very entertaining round.

Fairwinds Brewery in Springfield after the round. The place is always packed and the beers are outstanding. Nice and buzzy for the ride home.

I have NO desire to go to work tomorrow. I am deep in the summer doldrums. Might me a hot tub and bourbon night tonight

Yup. I have been back from vacation for just two full days and already DGAF. Thinking about bailing early today and going to the range.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

https://twitter.com/...431430659489792

Can't go to the link, but agree with the bold.

Yeah, except he's making the case that it's NOT snobbery. It's the opposite of it.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

1. I saw a lot of backlash this past weekend against golf architecture “snobs.” That’s expected, I guess. People can be overbearing about this stuff. But the principles of good course design come from Scotland, where the game is affordable and democratic. Not snobby

2. Going back to the design fundamentals of links golf and the “Golden Age” is about making course construction smarter and cheaper so that golf is more fun and less expensive.

3. This basic idea should help us be less elitist, not more. For example, when you learn about golf course architecture and maintenance on the Scottish model, you become less likely to slam courses for not having lush, green turf.

4. You also learn to appreciate homely, humble courses with strong bones. The well-wrought “cow patches” of the world.

5. Last note: I find it funny (and not “ha ha” funny) that criticizing a fancy, exclusive club like Bellerive has suddenly become a marker of snobbery. There’s something so 2018 about that. /thread

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I would say I'm more of a golf architecture nerd than a snob. I enjoy reading about the history of how certain courses were built but I certainly dont let it affect where I play or dont play. Its just something I enjoy studying.

But the flip side of this argument though is getting really played out. The "build everything like its built in Scotland" attitude to me is starting to sound just as hot takey and annoying. There are some garbage courses in Scotland too and a lot of things that would never go over well in the States.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

we haven't had a double digit handicap winner of a NET hive event since trolls in april.

Ceejay has his Hive Tour Wins counter at 1. Are you saying you're taking full credit for the fourball win?

Ceejay has his Hive Tour Wins counter at 1. Are you saying you're taking full credit for the fourball win?

duh

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I am going to pull a Koepka and change that next month

(The Koepka that won back to back US Opens, not going to sleep with a Hivers wife and push him down the stairs so he can’t make the tournament)

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

2 Days off and back to work. Hooray for no fractures!

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith