MD/DC/VA Golfers - This One Goes to Eleven

eagle1997

Of course you're welcome.

me

you

top.h

gregH

sounds like a pretty good foursome. sometime in mid-september? weekday maybe?

totally sniping this invite out from underneath the nova guys, lol

Works for me. Fridays are probably best for a weekday round. September would be good as it will be a little cooler if we want to play all 27 holes. We could hit up either Fairfax or Arlington. Fairfax sounds like the better course at this point, but Arlington has the better clubhouse with view of D.C. for post round beverages. I'm down for either option.

• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• eagle1997

• dcmidnight

i know a lot of this is hole location dependent.

need some high-level golf analysis.

https://course.blueg...or/overview.htm

How many times have you played there?? 15-20??

My Advice: If you top your tee shot on #18, you either can or can't hit a provisional. I don't remember.

that what i call HIGH LEVEL ANALYSIS.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Of course you're welcome.

me

you

top.h

gregH

sounds like a pretty good foursome. sometime in mid-september? weekday maybe?

totally sniping this invite out from underneath the nova guys, lol

Works for me. Fridays are probably best for a weekday round. September would be good as it will be a little cooler if we want to play all 27 holes. We could hit up either Fairfax or Arlington. Fairfax sounds like the better course at this point, but Arlington has the better clubhouse with view of D.C. for post round beverages. I'm down for either option.

Better make room my butt

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I haven't been playing a whole lot of attention lately, but it looks like 827 is playing some decent golf. I remember a few months ago, he was talking about breaking 100. Has that happened? If not it seems imminent.

No, haven't broken 100. Gotten close, but snowmen and 10's show up too often, mainly after dumb swings and not taking my time.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

i know a lot of this is hole location dependent.

need some high-level golf analysis.

https://course.blueg...or/overview.htm

How many times have you played there?? 15-20??

My Advice: If you top your tee shot on #18, you either can or can't hit a provisional. I don't remember.

that what i call HIGH LEVEL ANALYSIS.

hit driver on #3. A fade will in fact hold up in the fairway.

dont hit left on #6. or short.

stay on the right side of #9 if you want to have a chance of going for it. If the pin is back left, you can't get close. If it's anywhere on the right, that's gonna be a greenlight.

dont top it on #10. but if you do, you can still scramble for a par. Hit a hybrid or something.

on #11, 3 is almost too much. 4i is safe and makes the hole easy

#12- good luck. par is GREAT here.

pretty run of the mill golf course or something like that. word on the street is Dom knows a thing or two about the course too - definitely check with him if you want to get really detailed info.

Eagle thankfully that is the only picture that you have of me that I know of otherwise I might be in trouble considering the shots I hit. Also, are those the mushrooms from the woods you saw when we were looking for my SMOOCHED drive?

Titleist 917 D3 8.5 Degree 

Tour Edge 3 Wood 15 Degree

Titleist T-MB 2-Iron

735 CM 4-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 

Lesson update #1: Primary problem diagnosed as what sounds like a classic stall and flip. Also, alignment was apparently too far right. Focus is on turning hips and chest (chest not as much as hips) with passive hands. Got a couple drills. Hit a full bucket after lesson and hit maybe a half dozen (5%) of my classic pull hooks. Rest were 20% slight pulls, 20% pull cuts that were well playable when they landed, 30% relatively straight, 20% tolerable fades and 5% block fades. Interestingly, I was center facing driver and woods (even off line), but felt like I was struggling a bit to make center contact with irons. But Id rather my miss be 20 yards short with irons than 20 yards left or right.

Can't wait to get back at it next time I get to the range.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

The WM hazard mention brings up a course marking/rule issue on Saturday at UMD. On the 9th tee, Fort hit a slice left. It went around the first trees, but then its blind and and we couldnt see where it goes in. Well right up in the likely landing area it switches from red to white stakes.

Its where the entrance is from the main street. Theres no way you could know if he went in the hazard or OB. He just picked up, and I put him on my back and carried us to double bogey.

I haven't been playing a whole lot of attention lately, but it looks like 827 is playing some decent golf. I remember a few months ago, he was talking about breaking 100. Has that happened? If not it seems imminent.

No, haven't broken 100. Gotten close, but snowmen and 10's show up too often, mainly after dumb swings and not taking my time.

I think it will happen very soon. Keep at it!

You answered the only question you needed to - Could you be virtually certain the ball had gone in the hazard? No, so it's stroke and distance.

You aren't going to get a good thread war with that type of attitude.

There's no thread war to be had about that scenario, unless you want one about people needing to have a basic understanding of the rules.

You answered the only question you needed to - Could you be virtually certain the ball had gone in the hazard? No, so it's stroke and distance.

You aren't going to get a good thread war with that type of attitude.

There's no thread war to be had about that scenario, unless you want one about people needing to have a basic understanding of the rules.

I’m always virtually certain where my ball goes..who does not..Amrite

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

It was nice to get out and finish a full round of golf yesterday. Hopefully it's going to kick-start thing back into getting out regularly again. It's August, and I feel like I'm still in off season form.

It was one of the rare times where I probably should've been playing golf swing on the course fro the start. I'm trying to work through the tweaks from my lesson, and I'd really been losing the feel of one of them until I really started thinking about it out there on the course. I started thinking about it on the 9th tee, and struck it better overall on the way in.

I'm more irritated that I felt so out of practice than mad about the way I played. It was just a really sloppy round.

Some really awful reads on putts, so I made nothing. I even severely over read a few shorter ones.

I'm really grading my chipping on whether or not I hit my landing spots at this point, which I did within an acceptable margin of error on all but one shot. If I hit my landing spot, that's all I can ask for. Whether or not the shot ends up close or not is just more data to put in my brain for calibrating this new approach.

Thanks to firm fairway conditions, I took the D to pound town for my biggest drive of the year on the 15th hole. Dead flat, and I lasered the guys on the white tees at 270 yards. The tips are ~40 yards further back, so I got my 300 ball for this year. Thanks for the 50 yards of roll, golf course.

I don't think it's actually very advantageous, but I had a fun time playing down the first fairway from the 9th tee. They usually seem to put the markers on the right side of the box, so trees block you out from doing it. They had them on the left, and nobody was in the first fairway, so I felt compelled to do it. As Tex would've said, I'm gonna send it. I smashed it down the first fairway. I had an unobstructed shot to the green, but the angle, especially to a back-right pin with the green being firm, was pretty awful. I landed a 5 iron hole-high about 8 feet right, and ran to the back of the green.

City's driving is becoming a tremendous weapon. He's getting very point-and-shoot with that club. I think sometimes he needs to worry less about whether he's making the perfect choice, and just go all-in on whatever he's doing. Commit fully.

Shots of the day are hard to pick. I missed City's second into the 9th, since I was about 100 yards away. I saw it land and run back to hole-high, but couldn't see from where I was that he had to punch-hook one to get it there. That'd certainly be a SOTD candidate. PQ and City were staring down bogeys on 15 after having to punch back into the fairway, while I was sitting about 15ft for bird after a nice smooch 7. Then City hit's a nice wedge to about 8ft. I could feel the wind leaving my sails. Then PQ wedged it to a foot. SOTD candidate for sure, and a total dagger. I actually loved my birdie putt, and was walking it in, but it shiggled away from the hole at the last second. I had a real slippery chip on 13 that I hit my landing spot perfectly, and it did a wicked horseshoe lip out.

I just read a 5 page thread started by someone complaining about poker chips as ball markers.

I've been know to leave my ball on the green if it's not in anyone's line. Now I'm afraid some etiquette stickler is going to brain me with his Scotty Cameron.

THDC, the weather is hot. People are around Club Championship time. No majors for the rest of the year. Webby has auto-qualified for the Ryder Cup team. Tudes are up...and you choose to travel outside the walls of the 19th hole? Come on man!!!! If you are going to do that at least live up to your TH name! "Yeah, I use a poker chip. Yeah, it means something to me! Yeah, I'm gonna continue to use it. You know how lone Christopher Walken had to carry it........."

2xsG.gif

I've been know to leave my ball on the green if it's not in anyone's line. Now I'm afraid some etiquette stickler is going to brain me with his Scotty Cameron.

Its funny, marking your ball on the green doesnt seem to exist for locals in Scotland. No one marks unless you are right in someones line. We watched so many groups playing where not only do they not mark but the guy farthest away starts putting with the pin actually in. No waiting for everyone to mark and then waiting for someone to pull the pin. In fact a couple of the pin sheets that they handed out said something like "First guy putts with the pin in" under their "ready golf" guidelines.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Golfer827 was +13 (48) as we made the turn the Maryland the other day. He didn't break 100. Don't know if it was in his head, but he didn't have a good backside. Probably wound up around 110, but I didn't keep his score.

I hit a 300 yard drive on the first hole yesterday. I don't actually know how. Fairways are firm (dried? Dead?). I just hit a bomb down the left side and it sort of caught a slope and must have just run like h3ll. I shot the bushes right behind the tee at 310 and I just googled the yardage I had into the green from the approximate spot and it was right on the same number. It could have been 295. It could have been 305, but either way, it was ridiculous. It wasn't downhill. Maybe a touch downwind.

Hit one 280 on 18.

And, I'll take it. I mean, I've been hitting 250-yard carry drives all year that are rolling out to 249.

Strongly related to these ridiculous numbers. . .the "burnout" has happened at the club. We have member-guest this weekend and the fairways look like chalk outlines for a massacre and they don't even have everything outlined. Some fairways, they might as well circle the whole thing. They're not just brown. They have those dried/cracked dried-mud spots, which are fine for a good golfer because he just has to make good contact, but horrible for drunk hackers who paid $375 (or $750) to get into the member-guest. Gonna be some BIH-IH-ITCHING this weekend.

Good day yesterday. Bogey-bogey finish from A-positions left a bad taste in my mouth. Sort of felt like one of those "got back to my comfort zone" finishes. I just need a good round to change my comfort zone.

On 9, we have 3 large trees completely blocking the green when you hit a "good" drive. I had about 230 to the pin and hit a slinging hook hybrid around the trees, which landed about 20 yards out from the green, took a couple big hops in the rough, slowed down enough and gave me about 35 feet for eagle. Fun shot. Real sling job on the approach.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Its funny, marking your ball on the green doesnt seem to exist for locals in Scotland. No one marks unless you are right in someones line. We watched so many groups playing where not only do they not mark but the guy farthest away starts putting with the pin actually in. No waiting for everyone to mark and then waiting for someone to pull the pin. In fact a couple of the pin sheets that they handed out said something like "First guy putts with the pin in" under their "ready golf" guidelines.

I love every bit of this.

If you need to clean your ball, mark it with your toe and put it back down. Otherwise, if it's not in someone's line, there's no reason a ball has to be picked up.

There are golfers (in this thread and beyond) who act like if a ball is anywhere in their field of vision it's an affront to the gentlemanly origins of the game. 6 feet past the hole on your through line on a 10 foot putt? Puh-lease, Queen of England, just hit it.

And, this isn't just me griping about "golf sensies" (although it is that) -- I actually think that that kind of behavior on the green can have a significant impact on pace of play.

Beyond what you said, we also seem to behave as if before the first guy putts, everyone else has to get to the green, mark their ball, get another guy on the pin and THEN the "putting game" starts. We also do it on the tees. Like every place we get to requires a new congregation of souls. When I play with 5's and 7's at the club, you have guys with a peg in the ground while other guys are still putting out (occasionally).

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Beyond what you said, we also seem to behave as if before the first guy putts, everyone else has to get to the green, mark their ball, get another guy on the pin and THEN the "putting game" starts. We also do it on the tees. Like every place we get to requires a new congregation of souls. When I play with 5's and 7's at the club, you have guys with a peg in the ground while other guys are still putting out (occasionally).

Our group played so fast mostly because we did this. We walked the New / Jubille Courses in 3:30 and 3:45 respectively. Part of that is hustling it up on the greens. Not rushing. Nobody is running. But just saving 10-15 seconds per person per stroke per hole. It adds up.

The empty slot I got on the Old Course was with three women as part of a corporate group. The caddy had me teeing off while they were still holing out. Part of it was logistics - my tees were much further back - but part of it was just pace of play. I loved it. No one took offense and it moved things along.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I bet this saves 15-20 min per round. I like what you said about the tee box also. Get there, peg it, hit it. It doesn't matter who goes first, just go! Everyone is going to play the hole so it doesn't matter who goes first

Same with lining up your putts on the green. I was lining up the ball and ready when the guy before me was putting. Why wait until that guy lines it up, putts, watch the ball roll, guy walks up and marks his ball - then you start? I think our caddies loved playing with us - especially after hearing stories of some of their nightmare rounds.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Golfer827 was +13 (48) as we made the turn the Maryland the other day. He didn't break 100. Don't know if it was in his head, but he didn't have a good backside. Probably wound up around 110, but I didn't keep his score.

I hit a 300 yard drive on the first hole yesterday. I don't actually know how. Fairways are firm (dried? Dead?). I just hit a bomb down the left side and it sort of caught a slope and must have just run like h3ll. I shot the bushes right behind the tee at 310 and I just googled the yardage I had into the green from the approximate spot and it was right on the same number. It could have been 295. It could have been 305, but either way, it was ridiculous. It wasn't downhill. Maybe a touch downwind.

Hit one 280 on 18.

And, I'll take it. I mean, I've been hitting 250-yard carry drives all year that are rolling out to 249.

Strongly related to these ridiculous numbers. . .the "burnout" has happened at the club. We have member-guest this weekend and the fairways look like chalk outlines for a massacre and they don't even have everything outlined. Some fairways, they might as well circle the whole thing. They're not just brown. They have those dried/cracked dried-mud spots, which are fine for a good golfer because he just has to make good contact, but horrible for drunk hackers who paid $375 (or $750) to get into the member-guest. Gonna be some BIH-IH-ITCHING this weekend.

Good day yesterday. Bogey-bogey finish from A-positions left a bad taste in my mouth. Sort of felt like one of those "got back to my comfort zone" finishes. I just need a good round to change my comfort zone.

On 9, we have 3 large trees completely blocking the green when you hit a "good" drive. I had about 230 to the pin and hit a slinging hook hybrid around the trees, which landed about 20 yards out from the green, took a couple big hops in the rough, slowed down enough and gave me about 35 feet for eagle. Fun shot. Real sling job on the approach.

Could be worse, your club could've gotten another 1"+ of rain Monday night that it desperately did not need. Pretty sure the cracked mud is wet wilt/turf scald. We have it on multiple holes @ SP.

Not to make this a climate change debate, but summers around here seem like they're starting to become unsustainable for bentgrass. The bermuda strains are doing really well where the staff has converted the grass though.

Edit also: thru August 12th we've had 28 days with 90° temperatures. Last year was 27. Average prior to 2017 was 17-18 days in those temp ranges.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX