Tiger Woods WITB 2017

CStephenson17

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I am totally prepared to get flamed for this but here goes :-)

Are there others out there who think any kind of long termed contract and possibly even any agreement with Tiger to represent any company might be a mistake? Even IF he can find a way to be competitive again for 4 rounds of golf in a week, can he represent TM and the game of golf in a way that you want to be represented? Golf at the professional level can still be considered a game full of respect, honor, and class. Tiger has not proven to be capable of even representing himself or his family with respect nor honor nor class IMO. I know for one, I am a club HO and love to see and read about WITB and whatever Tiger plays would actually be one set I would not even consider.

Just one guys opinion!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there others out there who think any kind of long termed contract and possibly even any agreement with Tiger to represent any company might be a mistake? Even IF he can find a way to be competitive again for 4 rounds of golf in a week, can he represent TM and the game of golf in a way that you want to be represented? Golf at the professional level can still be considered a game full of respect, honor, and class. Tiger has not proven to be capable of even representing himself or his family with respect nor honor nor class IMO. I know for one, I am a club HO and love to see and read about WITB and whatever Tiger plays would actually be one set I would not even consider.

Just one guys opinion!

They would be bad deals, but Tiger’s most recent contracts are all heavily determined by the amount of tournaments he plays. If he’s hurt, TaylorMade and Bridgestone are on the hook for very little.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Just one guys opinion!

I don't disagree with your point on the image of Tiger, but I think you miss a big part of what is Tiger's image.

He certainly did bad things, but he's achieved a lot. At the end of the day, company will weight in the pros & cons but I'm pretty sure from their standpoint it boils down to advertising we have these guys and Tiger Woods on our staffers... You get a massive marketing product right there. Might not work for you, but for some people it might be a big plus to say they're playing Tiger's clubs.

As Holy Moses pointed, it might go for cheap from Bridgestone & TM, but I don't even believe so : it would go to offer & demand. At the moment Tiger isn't performing and there's not a big demand for him. Say he plays well in that tournament, Callaway will give him a phone call, suddenly his deal with TM will be negociated differently...

So if he's got specific contract at the moment, it might also be a choice to negociate at the best time for him to get the best deal ?

Doubtful tiger would need to have a contract rewritten. His contracts before have always allowed him to play whatever he wanted.

I am of the opinion TM wedges are a big problem for Rory right now. Leading edge height not low enough for him causing him to punt his wedges instead of nip them.

Doubtful tiger would need to have a contract rewritten. His contracts before have always allowed him to play whatever he wanted.

I am of the opinion TM wedges are a big problem for Rory right now. Leading edge height not low enough for him causing him to punt his wedges instead of nip them.

So TM doesn’t have the ability to custom grind wedges? Makes no sense.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

When he was at Nike he could play whatever he felt was best. His revenue was influenced by number of clubs in his bag but he had the freedom to play other stuff if he felt it was better.

No way. There’s a reason Tiger went to his Scotty Cameron as soon as Nike golf left the business.

He was leaving money on the table by not playing the Nike putter. I said that. He didn't have to play it. He decided it was good enough given the money he was leaving on the table.

Could Tiger have played all non-Nike clubs and still been paid by Nike golf?

Define paid. As in aid the same ? Or not paid at all? Tiger will be laying the artisan TGR irons and I'd be surprised if not Nike wedges.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Defintely debatable. If you saw the crusty job they did on justin roses new high toe lob wedge you'd agree. Was a quickie attempt at copying the pm grind. Worked though. Rose has made it work. But defintely not MT level guys grindin on their wedges judging by that one.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

When he was at Nike he could play whatever he felt was best. His revenue was influenced by number of clubs in his bag but he had the freedom to play other stuff if he felt it was better.

No way. There’s a reason Tiger went to his Scotty Cameron as soon as Nike golf left the business.

He was leaving money on the table by not playing the Nike putter. I said that. He didn't have to play it. He decided it was good enough given the money he was leaving on the table.

Define paid. As in aid the same ? Or not paid at all? Tiger will be laying the artisan TGR irons and I'd be surprised if not Nike wedges.

I probably agree with that point, but what I was responding to was whether Tiger had the ability as a Nike golf staffer back in the day to play a full bag of non-Nike clubs if he so wished.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I may have missed it, but one reason that he may be signed to a 13 club deal is so that he doesn't advertise for another brand. Without seeing the contract, it may simple state that Tiger may not play, say, Callaway clubs, for money and appear in Callaway advertisements. And whether or not he plays TM irons, they can still say he is under contract for 13 clubs.

I may have missed it, but one reason that he may be signed to a 13 club deal is so that he doesn't advertise for another brand. Without seeing the contract, it may simple state that Tiger may not play, say, Callaway clubs, for money and appear in Callaway advertisements. And whether or not he plays TM irons, they can still say he is under contract for 13 clubs.

Problem for TaylorMade is that if Tiger only plays their woods and he hits the ball all over the map like he was before, it’s not a great endorsement. Tiger’s strength will be irons and putting and (for now) he won’t be using TM clubs for those shots. Maybe the average golf fan won’t notice.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Problem for TaylorMade is that if Tiger only plays their woods and he hits the ball all over the map like he was before, it's not a great endorsement. Tiger's strength will be irons and putting and (for now) he won't be using TM clubs for those shots. Maybe the average golf fan won't notice.

I don't disagree but TM has already decided it is a great endorsement. If Tiger hits the ball all over the map with his woods, his iron play isn't going to help anyway.

Just one guys opinion!

They would be bad deals, but Tigers most recent contracts are all heavily determined by the amount of tournaments he plays. If hes hurt, TaylorMade and Bridgestone are on the hook for very little.

It’s Tiger freakin WOODS! If he plays any bit remotely decent and bags Taylormade clubs then that’s a huge draw to the club manufacturer.

If Tiger is playing Taylormade and playing well enough to be consistently making weekends then I will be playing Taylormade too. I’m sure I can’t be alone here lol.

Problem for TaylorMade is that if Tiger only plays their woods and he hits the ball all over the map like he was before, it’s not a great endorsement. Tiger’s strength will be irons and putting and (for now) he won’t be using TM clubs for those shots. Maybe the average golf fan won’t notice.

How he hits the clubs will mean very little. The fact that he plays them is all they need.

Just one guys opinion!

They would be bad deals, but Tiger’s most recent contracts are all heavily determined by the amount of tournaments he plays. If he’s hurt, TaylorMade and Bridgestone are on the hook for very little.

It’s Tiger freakin WOODS! If he plays any bit remotely decent and bags Taylormade clubs then that’s a huge draw to the club manufacturer.

If Tiger is playing Taylormade and playing well enough to be consistently making weekends then I will be playing Taylormade too. I’m sure I can’t be alone here lol.

Yes, but if TaylorMade hadn’t been mostly paying Tiger based on tournaments played, it would be a very risky endeavor. Tiger built Nike golf, and then helped sink it by being injured. TaylorMade has other players to rely on now, but signing Tiger can be really risky if there aren’t strong incentives.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

How he hits the clubs will mean very little. The fact that he plays them is all they need.

If Tiger is consistently hitting foul balls, he won’t be playing on the weekends. TaylorMade wants Tiger near the lead and then winning to make the money they want to make. Playing is better than being hurt, but just being out there and missing cuts is better than nothing, but not that great.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

They can grind wedges but to my knowledge they are not working off of raw forgings which limits their ability to manipulate certain aspects of the club.

They can grind wedges but to my knowledge they are not working off of raw forgings which limits their ability to manipulate certain aspects of the club.

so you are saying TM doesn’t have the ability to provide one of the best players of his generation with clubs that meet his needs? Ridiculous.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I don't know all the details of his contract. When I worked at Nike I was told multiple times he wouldn't switch until he was convinced what we put in his hands was better. St that point and time he was not in the 3 wood or the putter. I was also told he was leaving a good chunk of money on the table by not having them in the bag.

My guess is he was paid to wear the clothes, per club, bonuses for performance , and I know he was paid some based on club sales.

I don't know all the details of his contract. When I worked at Nike I was told multiple times he wouldn't switch until he was convinced what we put in his hands was better. St that point and time he was not in the 3 wood or the putter. I was also told he was leaving a good chunk of money on the table by not having them in the bag.

My guess is he was paid to wear the clothes, per club, bonuses for performance , and I know he was paid some based on club sales.

It’s one thing to wait until Nike made him a club he likes (most likely what is happening with TM irons now), it’s another to think that after some time Tiger can be paid by Nike for playing someone else’s stuff. There has to be some soft cap on when Tiger needed to be using Nike clubs.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

It’s one thing to wait until Nike made him a club he likes (most likely what is happening with TM irons now), it’s another to think that after some time Tiger can be paid by Nike for playing someone else’s stuff. There has to be some soft cap on when Tiger needed to be using Nike clubs.

J was told repeatedly he would. It change until he was convinced it was better and they couldn't force him to. This was years into his contract and the 3 wood was still a few years away and the putter was more than that. I am sure TM is sending him clubs and working on irons. He won't switch just to switch.

I think we are going to see the TGR irons in play with an M1/M2 driver, M2 3/5 wood, a 790 2/3 iron, Nike wedges, and Ol' Reliable (SC NP2).

Driver: 2016 M2

3 wood and 5 wood: 2017 M1

Driving Iron: UDI or PSi TP 2 iron

Irons: TGR

Wedges: TGR

Putter: Scotty (honestly would love to see him go back to the Tei3 he won the Masters in 97)

Ball: Bridgestone B330S

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Buff out the TGR Logo, and stamp in a Taylormade logo. PowderedToastMan’s guide to adjusting simply to Taylormade irons.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I can’t seem to get this search/Site to work on my iPad. I was trying to search to see if Tigers TGR Irons were on the conforming clubs list. Anyone else able to get it to work, or already know the answer?

http://www.usga.org/InfoClubsDB/Search.aspx

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I can’t seem to get this search/Site to work on my iPad. I was trying to search to see if Tigers TGR Irons were on the conforming clubs list. Anyone else able to get it to work, or already know the answer?

They are VR Pros, so they are conforming, no?

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

They are VR Pros, so they are conforming, no?

I’m not really sure how it works, I assumed to be legal for play they’d have to be on that list. But what do I know? I’m just some guy from Nova Scotia :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

The TGR are basically the VR pros or are they a new forging from MT ?

Is tiger not using the new Bridgestone Tour B XS?

Thats a good question on the balls. I guessing he would go with something he knows but then he really only knew that ball for 4 events (13 Pres Cup, Hero, Torry, Dubia)

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Aren't the TGR irons made by Artisan golf? I understand that is the guy's new company from Nike that he is running from the Oven in Texas. I think eventually he will be playing these Artisan irons and wedges however they are stamped. His other clubs will be Taylormade, Driver, fairway, utility/driving iron. I think this was kind of stated above, but I am re-stating it because I agree. It's my belief that the guy behind Artisan is his "man" and he has trust and confidence with him to get his irons and wedges exactly the way he desires.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star