2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway's new Apex MB and X Forged irons

GolfWRX

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OR you can just bend the traditional loft straight blades a few degrees stronger to gain a bit more distance,,,, worked for Jack, Arnie, etc.

Depending on the sole grind, bounce and your spin numbers......that's not always true. Sure, you'll hit them lower, but that may not equate to more distance. So much more goes into it than just stronger lofts. One thing's for sure, if it's a standard blade, you COULD reduce the bounce to a point where they may not be playable (3* or more.....or, at least, you better be a picker).

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Can someone please explain to me why the XF Ut 4 is 24°, when the XF 4 iron is 23°?

im pretty sure the design behind the UT makes up for the 1* difference in loft.

Same reason why hybrids, generally don't match up to the same number as their iron counterpart. In other words, a 3 hybrid, normally, replaces a 2-iron......a 4 hybrid, normally, replaces a 3-iron, and so on. It's all in the design (and length) of the clubs. Guys get way too hung up on lofts these days. The designs (perimeter weighting, forgiveness, multi-materials and CoG) of iron and hybrids have altered ball flight and distances enough where stronger lofts are required or you'd hit it up an elephant's Word not allowed. Keep in mind, straight blades are still offered by many OEM's at "more traditional lofts," but you'll hit them more traditional distances. It's all in what you want and what plays best for your game.

Hi fade, your damn pic is so distracting I couldn't even read your post :)

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

TaylorMade Spider Tour Z Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

This thread needs some eye candy...

real nice!... but id be getting myself a new Bag like 'yesterday' those rubber looking dividers look like they'll wear chrome of the shafts..

back to the forgings on the MB and x forged '18

callaway sites says "1025 Carbon Forged from a single billet" on the MBS (so id guess Endo Forged)

yet for the X forged theres no mention of 1025 forged / single billet. just says there "triple net forged"

This thread needs some eye candy...

real nice!... but id be getting myself a new Bag like 'yesterday' those rubber looking dividers look like they'll wear chrome of the shafts..

back to the forgings on the MB and x forged '18

callaway sites says "1025 Carbon Forged from a single billet" on the MBS (so id guess Endo Forged)

yet for the X forged theres no mention of 1025 forged / single billet. just says there "triple net forged"

Bag is a season old ?. Ogio Silencer. Love it. Clubs don’t rattle around and the “rubber” doesn’t do any harm. Great bag.

I know Callaway used Endo on 99 Hogan Apex and 99 Hogan Apex Plus. I can’t say the new Apex are as soft because the Project X LZ are pretty stout. I can tell you the Mizuno MP-18 has absolutely nothing on Apex MB when it comes to sound and feel with same shaft. In fact Apex MB felt better to me and seemed to be more forgiving.

Would love to know who forged them. Maybe Callaway will release that info...

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

First 2 range sessions in book today, unfortunately off mats. 46 and wet in Ohio today.

Was pretty dark and could not see the ball land out in the distance dispite seeing the ball flight and targets. However, ball flight is absolutely brilliant. Great contact and feel. These irons are just a joy. I will get distances dialed in quickly. I am beyond stoked!

For those that play or have played blades, there is nothing like the confidence a flushed shot gives you or the feedback on punches/partial swings. For me, just make playing a joy.

Last season I played with Edel Forged CB, glad to be back to blades and these are a GEM

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

First 2 range sessions in book today, unfortunately off mats. 46 and wet in Ohio today.

Was pretty dark and could not see the ball land out in the distance dispite seeing the ball flight and targets. However, ball flight is absolutely brilliant. Great contact and feel. These irons are just a joy. I will get distances dialed in quickly. I am beyond stoked!

For those that play or have played blades, there is nothing like the confidence a flushed shot gives you or the feedback on punches/partial swings. For me, just make playing a joy.

Last season I played with Edel Forged CB, glad to be back to blades and these are a GEM

You sir are not helping my resistance to buying these right now. Have you no shame?

I hit the blades and will agree 100% they feel amazing. One of the better feeling forged irons out right now.. I thought the Xforged those felt hollow or like "Styrofoam popcorn" LOL don't get me wrong, 18' Xforged are nice clubs but the feeling at impact is nothing like the 18' Blades or 16' Apex Pros I play now.

Edit: Make that 120%... would be hard to pick these VS Mizzy right now if looking for blades.

I hit the blades and will agree 100% they feel amazing. One of the better feeling forged irons out right now.. I thought the Xforged those felt hollow or like "Styrofoam popcorn" LOL don't get me wrong, 18' Xforged are nice clubs but the feeling at impact is nothing like the 18' Blades or 16' Apex Pros I play now.

Edit: Make that 120%... would be hard to pick these VS Mizzy right now if looking for blades.

Kind of agree with X Forged. Kind of felt like I couldn’t find the center on them. I would not call them clicky by any means but everything felt off centered. I tend to hit more off the heel so I think it all comes down to cg placement.

MP-18 were better for me than X Forged but the Apex MB stood out on contact quality and feel. Apex MB remind me a lot of MP-5 which I regret not buying. Very similar shape and feel.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

You sir are not helping my resistance to buying these right now. Have you no shame?

Nope! Overwhelmed by the utter bliss that only a flushed shot from a soft blade can provide. I feel bad for any golfer playing some chunky monkeys that have never experienced this.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

Nope! Overwhelmed by the utter bliss that only a flushed shot from a soft blade can provide. I feel bad for any golfer playing some chunky monkeys that have never experienced this.

I have the x-forged and your really making me want to get the MB’s in the lower irons....

Couldn't wait any longer and just ordered the raw version in Australia, will pick up in January.

Why ohh why aren't they available directly to the US.

Congrats! Post pics of raw when you get. Enjoying the chrome but raw would look cool!

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

I have the x-forged and your really making me want to get the MB's in the lower irons....

This to me is a no brainer. I can see maybe 4-5-6 in Xforged and 7-W in MB's. CRAP now I am thinking I should go that route...! LOL

Edit: Heck even 4-5 Xforged / 6-W in MB..... They are pretty easy to hit for a blade

Finally got to see them (mb, not interest in the others) in person. It helped because now I can take them off of my list. There's nothing wrong with them, although I didn't like the white paint fill on the grooves or the top line, but simply no reason to switch from photos. I am sure they feel and play great though based on past history. I was also able to take the Epic driver off the list. The dropping prices caught my attention but I reaffirmed that I can't stand the head shape.

Guys, I have to tell you.........I'm incredibly impressed with the short irons in the X-Forged set; maybe even more so than the mid to longer irons. Don't discount them before trying them. These things are point and shoot. I'm in Hilton Head for a few days before heading on to Melbourne Florida for the holidays, and played yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks (weather in OH sucks). I had four approach shots, with short irons (8 iron - 9 iron twice and PW) that were all within 3 feet of the hole. Needless to say, I made those 4 for tweets. In addition, I had two others inside 8 feet (7 iron and 8 iron) and made them too. I made one other putt from about 22 feet that was a 7 iron. That's 7 birdies, all with short irons and all pretty close. I'm really impressed and would not change a thing, at this point. Sure, I may grab a set of MB's at some point next season but this set of X-Forged is in the bag to stay. Just saying.........

I have the x-forged and your really making me want to get the MB's in the lower irons....

This to me is a no brainer. I can see maybe 4-5-6 in Xforged and 7-W in MB's. CRAP now I am thinking I should go that route...! LOL

Edit: Heck even 4-5 Xforged / 6-W in MB..... They are pretty easy to hit for a blade

Yea I'm thinking of doing 7-W in the MBs. I might buy just a single iron in the MB and see how I like it. Personally I am okay with an unforgiving iron...always been of the opinion that you shouldn't be rewarded for a crap swing. Maybe a wrong line of thinking but oh well.

Guys, I have to tell you.........I'm incredibly impressed with the short irons in the X-Forged set; maybe even more so than the mid to longer irons. Don't discount them before trying them. These things are point and shoot. I'm in Hilton Head for a few days before heading on to Melbourne Florida for the holidays, and played yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks (weather in OH sucks). I had four approach shots, with short irons (8 iron - 9 iron twice and PW) that were all within 3 feet of the hole. Needless to say, I made those 4 for tweets. In addition, I had two others inside 8 feet (7 iron and 8 iron) and made them too. I made one other putt from about 22 feet that was a 7 iron. That's 7 birdies, all with short irons and all pretty close. I'm really impressed and would not change a thing, at this point. Sure, I may grab a set of MB's at some point next season but this set of X-Forged is in the bag to stay. Just saying.........

Agree on the short irons, I was in Pinehurst at Pineneedles with these and was throwing darts with the 7,8,9 and even the PW. What courses were you playing in HH?

Agree on the short irons, I was in Pinehurst at Pineneedles with these and was throwing darts with the 7,8,9 and even the PW. What courses were you playing in HH?

I'm at The Golf Club at Indiego Run.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a set, 4,5 in the X forged and 6-P in MB's. I'll pick up the new X Forged UT when it comes out in 18* to round out the set. The MB's might be one of the softest irons I've ever hit.

Taylor Made M5 - Project X HZRDUS Hulk 6.5 TX Taylor Made M6 - Tensei White 80 TX Miura MC 501 3-9 KBS C Taper 130 Vokey F Grind 46* - 51* Oil Can 56* K grind - 60* V grind Scotty Cameron 009 Oil Can