2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway's new Apex MB and X Forged irons

GolfWRX

For the folks that have ordered XF/MB combo sets, where did you split them and are you happy with that decision?

I'm thinking of weak 4/strong 5 in the utility when it is released next year, 6-7 XF, and 8-P MB and but am really tempted to go MB 6-P.

Also, would love to see some pics of the shorter irons at address (9 and PW).

If I can find the right setup in shaft I am thinking 4-6 Xforged and 7-P through MB...

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I split them after 6iron. I should have just gone whole set of MB they are that good and easy to hit. My miss is just short but online can live with that for sure

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

MINI REVIEW:

So, I have 36 holes (two 9 hole rounds and one full 18-hole round) and 15 minutes warm-up sessions, prior to each, with my new '18 X-forged. Here's my take so far. Keep in mind, we've stopped cutting greens here in Ohio, so making putts is a challenge to say the least. Also, each "outing" was played in 20+ mph winds and at temps no higher than 53*. Obviously, ball flight was affected, depending on wind direction and temperature. The first two separate 9 hole rounds I hit 8 of 9 greens during the first, and 9 of 9 during the next. Not one iron shot put me in any sort of trouble, or was a horrid miss. I made a total of 4 birdies and no bogeys......needless to say, I was very pleased. Yesterday, I went out for my first full 18-hole round with these. Again, I hit 16 of 18 greens in 20+ mph winds. The two greens I missed, one, I flushed right through the wind and knocked it over the back side by 5 yards but got it up and down. The other I hit my tee shot right and it hit a cart path and ended OB by a few feet. I did make birdie with the second ball, so I ended with bogey on that hole, due to stroke and distance. Obviously, I could not take a GIR on the second ball. While this may sound like a passive brag, it's not. I made a total of 4 birdies on the day and ended up -3. So, in summary, that equals 3 greens missed in 36 holes with one of the misses ending just slightly over the green, one not counting due to an OB tee shot and the other missing left in strong right to left winds that ended just off the fringe. That's also a total of -7 in 36 holes with irons I had not even hit at all, prior. Putting this into further perspective, of the 8 birdies made, only one was outside of 8 feet. Needless to say, I couldn't be more excited for next season.

Here's my thoughts on club performance. First, anything missed towards the toe seems to be affected a little more than heal misses. Direction/dispersion is still very good, but distance suffers about 5-8 yards more from the toe side. I tried to get a sense while on the range, warming up, pre-round, and that's what I saw hitting to the same flags. Comparing to my older sets of irons with everything else being equal (except a chilly 50*) and my new shaft choice, my distances were very similar to that of my '13 X-forged, '14 Apex's, Apex CF-16's and '14 Apex Pros, but feel is an unfair fight. I could argue that once we get back to warmer temps (Spring and Summer of '18), these could be up to a 1/2 club longer and feel even better. Like I mentioned, these are different shafts than I've been playing for the past 4-5 seasons. I now have stiff Modus3 Tour 105's HSx1 after playing stiff KBS' Tour V's HSx1 in every other Callaway iron the past several years. Honestly, I was a bit concerned about these shafts being a bit lighter than the Tour V's, but the few grams have not presented any problems. The Modus shafts are just incredibly sweet feeling, and these heads are a return to the feel I once knew from Miura made tour heads for TM heads (300 forged NS grinds and Lehman grinds), but this combination is arguably the best I've ever played. I do hit these a degree higher (due to the shafts), but have no issue playing shots (high, low, right or left). I also notice things like turf interaction and these run a close second to the Adams CMB's (which were the absolute best I ever played, in terms of stock sole grinds). Sure, we have softer conditions right now, but there is nothing to indicate that firmer summer turf will present any issue, especially after the results from a couple hardpan lies yesterday. I just can't say enough about these. They will get a hefty workout beginning 12/17 and we will be headed to Hilton Head for 3 days, then onto Melbourne Florida until 1/4/18 and playing EVERY day, including Christmas morning. Needless to say, I'm excited. I'm also looking forward to trying the UT once released.

I'm not here to hype some product(s) just convince myself or others……and I'm certainly not here to blow sunshine as a fanboy. Playing competitively, the only thing that matters to me is performance. For numbers and comparison sake, I swing my driver at 109 mph and hit my 7 iron 171 yards. Oh yeah, and I'm 55 years young. Hope some of this helps those that have any thoughts and/or questions.

Great review. I have the Apex Pro 2016 model and am considering the XF. Any thoughts as to how these compare to the Apex Pro 2016?

This was only on a sim at golf galaxy, but my Apex Pro 16's beat the X-Forged with all things equal. Ball flight, dispersion, distance, and feel all to the Apex Pro 16's. I was disappointed because I really wanted the X-Forged.

Following up on this from my testing today... Been waiting to do this and finally tested the 18' X forged today Vs my set of 16' Apex Pro. Both clubs had KBS Tour 120 S HS+1 in them. The 16' Pros were better across the board for me on all aspects. The big thing to me was feel as I think the 16' Pros felt a lot better. More that you could feel the ball on the face better. The new X Forged are +1 degree stronger so I expected 2-4 yards or more distance gain and did not see that either. One thing that I noticed is the Xforged was launching higher then the pros by a decent amount, at times it almost looked like it ballooned on me. Went and tested it on a launch monitor and the Xforged actually was spinning 600-800 RPMS more for me then my Pro's which probably what caused the extra height. "Spinning a club lower" is the way the fitter noted. Not sure if that is the head design or grooves but they spun more...so if you need more spin these are good. I could see these being really really good for a "sweeper" based on my testing today.

I was really hoping it would be the Xforged irons as the better setup but it was not. I have worn the crap out of my 7 iron in the pros so going to just replace the one club and game my 16's for a another year or so.

Edit: Note they are good clubs...they just did not fit me. Like all clubs get fitted to see if they work for you..!

I tried them again today with the KBS Tour-V X’s and the same thing. This clubs just aren’t for me, but man are they pretty. I want to want them, but I guess I’ll save some money.

Does anyone think the metal of the X forged is extremely soft? I come from Srixons z765, and recently received my X forged. I am waiting to complete some tournaments before making the switch so they are just sitting in my living room. Just the chatter from picking them up and brushing them against each other dinged up a few of them pretty good... Anyone else have this experience? The Srixons are soft but nothing like this...

Does anyone think the metal of the X forged is extremely soft? I come from Srixons z765, and recently received my X forged. I am waiting to complete some tournaments before making the switch so they are just sitting in my living room. Just the chatter from picking them up and brushing them against each other dinged up a few of them pretty good... Anyone else have this experience? The Srixons are soft but nothing like this...

I now have 3 rounds and 12 buckets(one of each yesterday-so pretty outside) and my playing partner commented that they still looked brand new. Honestly, this is weird because I have not seen what you describe. There can't be any differences between sets can there? Mine came from a representative (car stock) but were boxed and wrapped like all I am sure. Are they all manufactured at the same place?

I am so excited about the combination of this head with the Project X shaft. Shot 76 yesterday with an erratic driver going everywhere from right, left, and a few stupid long in the middle. The iron game however, straight and great distance control! This is my fifth set of irons in 2017 and I would bet a bunch that these will be in my bag for all of 2018!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I now have 3 rounds and 12 buckets(one of each yesterday-so pretty outside) and my playing partner commented that they still looked brand new. Honestly, this is weird because I have not seen what you describe. There can't be any differences between sets can there? Mine came from a representative (car stock) but were boxed and wrapped like all I am sure. Are they all manufactured at the same place?

I am so excited about the combination of this head with the Project X shaft. Shot 76 yesterday with an erratic driver going everywhere from right, left, and a few stupid long in the middle. The iron game however, straight and great distance control! This is my fifth set of irons in 2017 and I would bet a bunch that these will be in my bag for all of 2018!

I hate to openly admit this, but I broke down and put some soft iron covers on mine to minimize the dings and bag chatter. I just love the fresh, new look too much to stare down at eventual topline "character marks." Never even considered this before with other forged sets.......and, frankly, couldn't care less what the others think now. Mine will look new for some time. :nyam:

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Have many people blended the x-forged with the MB? Thoughts on how it is? I haven't hit the MBs but I have the x-forged. Whats the difference in how they play? I was thinking of 8,9,PW (maybe 7) in the MBs possibly. Worth blending or just better off staying all x-forged? Thanks!

Have many people blended the x-forged with the MB? Thoughts on how it is? I haven't hit the MBs but I have the x-forged. Whats the difference in how they play? I was thinking of 8,9,PW (maybe 7) in the MBs possibly. Worth blending or just better off staying all x-forged? Thanks!

i have a mixed set but have barely hit the xforged love the mb's especially the looks of the 8-pw down compared to the x too cold in ny to really give them a workout

Judging from the location of the marks, it looks like you let them drop on other clubs that are in your bag. Are there simular marks on the sole of the clubs?

I have a few rounds on mine, and have no sign of wear or bag chatter.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I hate to openly admit this, but I broke down and put some soft iron covers on mine to minimize the dings and bag chatter. I just love the fresh, new look too much to stare down at eventual topline "character marks." Never even considered this before with other forged sets.......and, frankly, couldn't care less what the others think now. Mine will look new for some time. :nyam:

Don't hate it, own it. Contrary to many opinions, they are your clubs and maybe you want them looking nice. I have some clubs on my wish list that WILL have covers on them if I end up buying them down the road. My current clubs, if they were new, would be in covers.

Judging from the location of the marks, it looks like you let them drop on other clubs that are in your bag. Are there simular marks on the sole of the clubs?

I have a few rounds on mine, and have no sign of wear or bag chatter.

Yes some marks on the soles too. I don't really worry about it cuz they will eventually be all dinged up after a couple of months, but I'm just surprised at the softness of the metal. Now I'm eager to know how they actually feel like!

I ordered a set today. Apex MB 4-AW. Project x 6.0.

Remind me of old Hogan Alex 73.

7 iron 85 mph swing speed. 160+ carry. Spin 6000-7000 depending on strike.

Very easy to hit. Pretty good feel. Love the shape!

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

I made a last minute order change and switch Apex MB shafts from project x 6.0 to project x lz 6.0. Had a little better feel. Order is supposed to ship on the 8th. Very quick turn around.

Once we get them I’m going to check build specs and then fit for lie.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

I bought a set and played 2 rounds with them, had to return these. These spun like crazy (had Project x 6.0) and inconsistent distances which is so key for me. I brought them back and switched to the 718 cb irons. Nirvana!! YMMV

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

TaylorMade Spider Tour Z Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

I bought a set and played 2 rounds with them, had to return these. These spun like crazy (had Project x 6.0) and inconsistent distances which is so key for me. I brought them back and switched to the 718 cb irons. Nirvana!! YMMV

X Forged or Apex MB? What shafts did you end up with in 718 cb?

I liked the Apex MB much better than X Forged.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

i have the exact same set in plastic. I need launch and spin and was fit into them but it's VERY hard not to play AP2 again.

Not even sure I should take the plastic off .

2024 Bag TBD

i have the exact same set in plastic. I need launch and spin and was fit into them but it's VERY hard not to play AP2 again.

Not even sure I should take the plastic off .

Golf is mental. With that attitude, you should def sell them and get some AP2. Sad because they are amazing clubs but if you have that mentality you will never hit them well

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

X Forged or Apex MB? What shafts did you end up with in 718 cb?

I liked the Apex MB much better than X Forged.

It was the X forged, I did hit the MB and it felt great, just wanted a little more help. Ended up with original DG S300 (not AMT) in 718CB. The turf interaction was quite a bit different between the two. I would say the X forged preferred a steeper swing than the CB. I can't play the AP2 because they dig too much for me.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

TaylorMade Spider Tour Z Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Got my X-Forged set last night. Ordered last thursday 4-PW with TI AMT S400's, that's the fastest i've ever had a custom order built/shipped/delivered. Was told stock orders (PX shafted) are backordered, but if you order custom you'll get em quick. Just FYI's for those planning on ordering soon. Taking them out for the first round tomorrow at Pine Needles in Pinehurst (even though the weather is going to suck), can't wait!

Can someone please explain to me why the XF Ut 4 is 24°, when the XF 4 iron is 23°?

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

I found the Apex Pro '16's were the same. You could practically leave a mark with your fingernail on them. That's a good thing and, surprisingly, the seem to hold up ok in spite of that. I don't bang my clubs around much though so they always look pretty ok.

I just got a set of 18' x forged from USA for a real good price

im very disappointed though....

dunno if its been discussed already here but on the plastic band on the 8i shaft it says "Shaft - USA" "Assembled - Mexico" & Head "CHINA"!

so obv not ENDO forged anymore like all the previous X forged,(unless Endo have a plant in China now? far as I know its Japan & Thailand...)

I havnt even took the wraps off yet cause I don't really like the head shape anyway. think I'll probably be moving them on.

my '13 X Forged are way better looking and Endo.

I had last years Apex pro and they were one of the worst feeling forged irons I ever hit, they lasted a week. awful and clicky sounding. I assume there cheap China forged heads too

looks like Callaway may be going back to there cheapo / cost cutting ways again like 5 years ago

£430 Epic drivers with 3 Appalling cheap made for crap stock shafts.....

I just got a set of 18' x forged from USA for a real good price

im very disappointed though....

dunno if its been discussed already here but on the plastic band on the 8i shaft it says "Shaft - USA" "Assembled - Mexico" & Head "CHINA"!

so obv not ENDO forged anymore like all the previous X forged,(unless Endo have a plant in China now? far as I know its Japan & Thailand...)

I havnt even took the wraps off yet cause I don't really like the head shape anyway. think I'll probably be moving them on.

my '13 X Forged are way better looking and Endo.

I had last years Apex pro and they were one of the worst feeling forged irons I ever hit, they lasted a week. awful and clicky sounding. I assume there cheap China forged heads too

looks like Callaway may be going back to there cheapo / cost cutting ways again like 5 years ago

£430 Epic drivers with 3 Appalling cheap made for crap stock shafts.....

well this post should start another golfwrx rumble

Can someone please explain to me why the XF Ut 4 is 24°, when the XF 4 iron is 23°?

im pretty sure the design behind the UT makes up for the 1* difference in loft.

Same reason why hybrids, generally don't match up to the same number as their iron counterpart. In other words, a 3 hybrid, normally, replaces a 2-iron......a 4 hybrid, normally, replaces a 3-iron, and so on. It's all in the design (and length) of the clubs. Guys get way too hung up on lofts these days. The designs (perimeter weighting, forgiveness, multi-materials and CoG) of iron and hybrids have altered ball flight and distances enough where stronger lofts are required or you'd hit it up an elephant's Word not allowed. Keep in mind, straight blades are still offered by many OEM's at "more traditional lofts," but you'll hit them more traditional distances. It's all in what you want and what plays best for your game.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X