2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway's new Apex MB and X Forged irons

GolfWRX

For those that have hit both the x-forged and the MB, how would you compare the forgiveness between the two?

I’m interested in this also. Looking to make a combo set, 4-6 x forged and 7-aw MB. I have heard the MB’s are so good it’s not worth doing a combo set.

Titleist             TSR3 10* w/ Tensei 1k white
Callaway       Apex 19' 3 hybrid w/ Nippon GOST tour stiff

NCW                Tour Department DW mid muscle MB 4-PW w/ Modus 105 S
Vokey            SM8 50f, 56s, 60m
Bettinardi       Studio Stock 17

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that have hit both the x-forged and the MB, how would you compare the forgiveness between the two?

I find the X-Forged head to just have more beef on it and more offset. I didnt see any benefit in hitting the x-forged in the 4,5,6 irons. The MBs were much better in terms of feel and workability. I come from 7 years of playing the X-Prototype Irons with success.

I find the X-Forged head to just have more beef on it and more offset. I didnt see any benefit in hitting the x-forged in the 4,5,6 irons. The MBs were much better in terms of feel and workability. I come from 7 years of playing the X-Prototype Irons with success.

I think the X-Prototypes were the best looking MB ever made. I wish Callaway would manufacture the MB1's for the general public.

I've been playing the 18 X-Forged for 6 weeks now and I'm real pleased with them. Very consistent and feel good. They only feel good because the MB's feel great. So great I ordered an 8 and 9 iron to test out and within an hour I started contemplating doing a combo or go all out MB. Probably a combo as I know I should not be swinging a 4 iron butter knife. I've never played an MB but something about these Callaway make me feel so confident at address.

On a side note, if you or anyone else are interested, I'd be willing to sell you the 8 and 9 iron MB. They are stock LLL with Project 6.0's. (I'm going 5.5's). I never did hit the 9 iron.

Either way you go, both the x-forged and MB are a blast.

I think the X-Prototypes were the best looking MB ever made. I wish Callaway would manufacture the MB1's for the general public.

Amen to that.

I've been playing the 18 X-Forged for 6 weeks now and I'm real pleased with them. Very consistent and feel good. They only feel good because the MB's feel great. So great I ordered an 8 and 9 iron to test out and within an hour I started contemplating doing a combo or go all out MB. Probably a combo as I know I should not be swinging a 4 iron butter knife. I've never played an MB but something about these Callaway make me feel so confident at address.

On a side note, if you or anyone else are interested, I'd be willing to sell you the 8 and 9 iron MB. They are stock LLL with Project 6.0's. (I'm going 5.5's). I never did hit the 9 iron.

Either way you go, both the x-forged and MB are a blast.

Well I have the x-forged but I’m really contemplating getting the at least 8,9, PW in the MB. For the exact reasons you said you were

I have been playing 3-4 x forged and 5-pw in the MB and I'm honestly thinking about picking up a 4 mb and playing a 3 x forged ut or just keeping the reg x forged in 3. The MB might be the best blade I've ever hit for me. I love the 5 iron in the Mb and I like the x forged but it's got a slightly different swingweight and doesn't look as good at address to me and as strange as it sounds to feel it doesn't feel like it has that much more forgiveness. Can't go wrong with either, I just love the Mbs

Here is what I ordered:

18* X forged UT

4,5 X forged

6-P Apex MB

Biggest gap is between 18* UT and 4 iron, 5* keeping everything stock (I kept stock lofts). Stock X forged 4 iron is 23* otherwise the set blends together much better than the Taylor Made family of irons. The 790' lofts are whack!

Taylor Made M5 - Project X HZRDUS Hulk 6.5 TX Taylor Made M6 - Tensei White 80 TX Miura MC 501 3-9 KBS C Taper 130 Vokey F Grind 46* - 51* Oil Can 56* K grind - 60* V grind Scotty Cameron 009 Oil Can

Only one way to make the MB better! 6c75f4158203a25b5dab1056c8cb0c9d.jpg

Sick!

Titleist             TSR3 10* w/ Tensei 1k white
Callaway       Apex 19' 3 hybrid w/ Nippon GOST tour stiff

NCW                Tour Department DW mid muscle MB 4-PW w/ Modus 105 S
Vokey            SM8 50f, 56s, 60m
Bettinardi       Studio Stock 17

I was able to hit everything that interested me today during a Club Champion fitting. Dang, that was fun!!

I was able to hit on the monitor my Ping s55, X Forged, Apex MB, Srixon 765, Ping I200, Taylormade P770,P750,P730, etc..

The standouts for me were the Srixon 765 and the X Forged with the Steel Fiber shaft in Regular flex. I thought the Project X 6.0 was perfect (except for the wear and tear on my elbows) and they were good but they were not even close to best. I also thought my s55 Pings with the Steel Fibers I own were a decent fit but they were not even close to the same shaft in the 765 and X Forged. The spin was way too high. The X Forged were the overall winner in both distance and dispersion over a very nice Srixon club!

Final build will be X Forged with Steel Fiber R flex shafts bent a degree or two strong depending on club. This gave me the optimum trajectory, spin, and super dispersion. Though not a factor, the distance increase in the 6 iron over my stock set up with Project X 6.0 was over 14 yards. Getting this combo correct gave me a feel I really did not know I was missing. The smash factor was a VERY consistent 1.4.

Fun day even including the 9 hours I spent on the road and getting up at 1:30am to get work done before hitting the road. Golf makes me stupid like that :-)

FWIW, while I hit the MB OK, I know I am in the minority here but I did not like it compared to the X Forged. I felt like I was striking it well, but I must have been missing it enough to affect feel and performance. Neither was good.

The Ping I200 was the biggest disappointment for me. I had high hopes that it would be a good contender but it performed and felt the worst for my swing.

One of the X Forged with steel fiber swings. All you youngsters out there...no laughing at the 59 year old man numbers :-)

Club Speed Ball Speed Smash Fac. Spin Rate Launch Ang. Carry Total Height Land. Ang. Attack Ang.

Mph Mph Rpm Deg Yds Yds Ft Deg Deg . single-shot-icon-without-border.png 84.5 119.2 1.41 5370 18.6 170.0 178.6 99 47.9 -0.5

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I was able to hit everything that interested me today during a Club Champion fitting. Dang, that was fun!!

I was able to hit on the monitor my Ping s55, X Forged, Apex MB, Srixon 765, Ping I200, Taylormade P770,P750,P730, etc..

The standouts for me were the Srixon 765 and the X Forged with the Steel Fiber shaft in Regular flex. I thought the Project X 6.0 was perfect (except for the wear and tear on my elbows) and they were good but they were not even close to best. I also thought my s55 Pings with the Steel Fibers I own were a decent fit but they were not even close to the same shaft in the 765 and X Forged. The spin was way too high. The X Forged were the overall winner in both distance and dispersion over a very nice Srixon club!

Final build will be X Forged with Steel Fiber R flex shafts bent a degree or two strong depending on club. This gave me the optimum trajectory, spin, and super dispersion. Though not a factor, the distance increase in the 6 iron over my stock set up with Project X 6.0 was over 14 yards. Getting this combo correct gave me a feel I really did not know I was missing. The smash factor was a VERY consistent 1.4.

Fun day even including the 9 hours I spent on the road and getting up at 1:30am to get work done before hitting the road. Golf makes me stupid like that :-)

FWIW, while I hit the MB OK, I know I am in the minority here but I did not like it compared to the X Forged. I felt like I was striking it well, but I must have been missing it enough to affect feel and performance. Neither was good.

The Ping I200 was the biggest disappointment for me. I had high hopes that it would be a good contender but it performed and felt the worst for my swing.

One of the X Forged with steel fiber swings. All you youngsters out there...no laughing at the 59 year old man numbers :-)

Club Speed Ball Speed Smash Fac. Spin Rate Launch Ang. Carry Total Height Land. Ang. Attack Ang.

Mph Mph Rpm Deg Yds Yds Ft Deg Deg . single-shot-icon-without-border.png 84.5 119.2 1.41 5370 18.6 170.0 178.6 99 47.9 -0.5

Just an FYI , if you are fit into a regular shaft then a Project X 6.0 is not in your wheelhouse. Good luck with the new sticks.

I tested the Apex/srixon/mizunos last friday.

They were all different shafts and not my normal DG x100's.

I tend to hit my apex pros extrememly high and dislike them when its windy.

Apex and Mp18 perform and feel almost the same to me. Biggest difference really comes down to looks and price. I decided to pick up a long term Mp18 7i in my specs and do some long term testing in the garage sim. I like the Apex but not how shinny it is. If it came in a brushed finish I would have bought one also.

I tested the Apex/srixon/mizunos last friday.

They were all different shafts and not my normal DG x100's.

I tend to hit my apex pros extrememly high and dislike them when its windy.

Apex and Mp18 perform and feel almost the same to me. Biggest difference really comes down to looks and price. I decided to pick up a long term Mp18 7i in my specs and do some long term testing in the garage sim. I like the Apex but not how shinny it is. If it came in a brushed finish I would have bought one also.

I second the less shiny!

Just an FYI , if you are fit into a regular shaft then a Project X 6.0 is not in your wheelhouse. Good luck with the new sticks.

Thank you! I was also fit into the Project X 6.0 at a different fitter but I agree with you. The Project X 6.0 Trackman data was very close on SS. I can't remember all lines but I know with each shaft at least one was 84.5. The smash factor averaged about 0.05 less with the Project X. The real killer was I hit it before tweaking lofts and I was getting over 8000rpm with the 6 iron which explained what I was seeing on the course.

As for heads, the MB was the best by far with dispersion, but when using the SF in both, the smash factor and distances were SIGNIFICANTLY better with the X Forged. I know this has to be the indian and not the arrow but the X Forged was so much better at contact for me. Honestly could have been because I hit the MB towards the end of the session after a 4 and 1/2 drive and my tank was low?

Whatever the reason, the X Forged look and feel great to me. They arrived yesterday from Club Champion and I will get them out today in windy, soupy conditions if the snow is gone (still dark right now). If the numbers would have been identical, I would have chosen the X Forged. In my eyes, they are just drop dead good looking and I think they will hold up better to bag chatter and play?

Both great heads and the reason they give options is because we are all a little different :-)

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I just finished my first round after the shaft change. I did not hit the driver well but my iron play with the X Forged/SteelFiber combo was pretty strong with a steady 17mph wind keeping things interesting. First round of 2018 recorded with a 75 on the card. The honeymoon phase begins LOL.

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

2 months ago I bought the new 2018 X-Forged and have enjoyed them. However, I did hit the MB during the fitting and the feeling of that club has not left my memory. So much so, I ordered a set of MB's 4-PW to blend with my X-Forged. Yep, I went all in and they are suppose to arrive today. I've never owned 2 sets so I am pretty excited to have both full sets so I can test, play and then blend. There is just something about the Callaway MB's that just makes me feel so comfortable and confident.

In order of favorite to least favorite, I have played the following iron sets over the last two years:

1) 18 X-Forged

2) Apex Pro 16

3) P770's

4) Srixon 765

5) 2016 AP2

6) JPX-900 Forged

7) P790

Whoa, first time I made a list. As you can imagine I'm anxious to settle down which is why I tested the MB's more than clubs in the past. I even bought some single iron MB's and played and practiced with them. Highly recommend buying single irons if you have the time.

I've also realized that I prefer and play better with smaller heads and am a sucker for that buttery feel.

Has anyone else done the same of buying two full sets and then blending? If so, did you sell the ones that didn't make the cut or did you just keep them in case you wanted to change the blend or for resale value?

I'm guessing that selling 4 & 5 MB would be harder to sell so may be best to just keep them.

Okay, just had to get some of the excitement of my chest as I keep and eye out for Fedex.....

Anybody find a shop with the XForged head on the fitting cart?

I can only find demo 7 Irons w/PX 6.0 in them. Worst possible shaft for me.

Called Callaway today and they said that they are supposed to have the fitting heads out there.....

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20