2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

If anyone wants to play Red Sky this summer, let me know. I'm generally available Sundays and Mondays, I can book tee times inside of 24 hours with paying guests at any time of the day as long as there is an open tee time. Odd days (like today, the 25th) are Norman course days, and Even days (like tomorrow the 26th) are Fazio days. Rate is nicely discounted. played a couple rounds with Aaron and Joel last season and I'd like to give more WRXers the opportunity to come play. PM me for details if you'd like.

That’s an awesome offer. I played the Fazio course a couple years ago when we were staying up in Vail for a short mini vacation. I’d love to play the Norman course some time.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So yeah, decided to switch up my weekend plans. Didn't feel like driving the 70 miles between Riverdale and King's Deer on Sunday.

So instead, I'm playing both the Knolls and Dunes on Sunday. Don't have to drive anywhere in between. Then I'm skipping King's Deer and Flatirons all together, and doing a 3:00pm at Colorado National for Monday afternoon. Should still be 3 spots open if anyone wants to join, and hope the PM Thunderstorm forecast is incorrect.

So yeah, decided to switch up my weekend plans. Didn't feel like driving the 70 miles between Riverdale and King's Deer on Sunday.

So instead, I'm playing both the Knolls and Dunes on Sunday. Don't have to drive anywhere in between. Then I'm skipping King's Deer and Flatirons all together, and doing a 3:00pm at Colorado National for Monday afternoon. Should still be 3 spots open if anyone wants to join, and hope the PM Thunderstorm forecast is incorrect.

Interested to hear how Co. Ntl is playing. I live in the neighborhood right next door and drive past it to play almost everywhere else local because I've found the staff at CN to be really dickish... Kind of a bummer but Indian Peaks isn't too far and I've been logging quite a few rounds at Ute Creek actually including one this morning at 6AM that was perfect weather. Greens on the front are rolling fantastic. They micro-punched the back last week but they should play just as nice once they get rolled...

I'm not expecting a whole lot out of Flatirons or the Knolls. This is my "cost effective" golf weekend. Most expensive round will be Kennedy, at $41. Everything else is sub-$40.

I'm also playing in a Tin Cup 7-iron only tournament at Flatirons next weekend. Figured it'd be nice to see the course before doing that.

Knolls isn't as bad as you think. Parkland style layout...but that's what I grew up playing. The conditions should be almost as good as the Dunes though.

Have fun this weekend, everyone! So jealous I can't make it out with you guys. I guess a private tour of the Guiness factory in Dublin will have to suffice next week.

I'm not expecting a whole lot out of Flatirons or the Knolls. This is my "cost effective" golf weekend. Most expensive round will be Kennedy, at $41. Everything else is sub-$40.

I'm also playing in a Tin Cup 7-iron only tournament at Flatirons next weekend. Figured it'd be nice to see the course before doing that.

Knolls isn't as bad as you think. Parkland style layout...but that's what I grew up playing. The conditions should be almost as good as the Dunes though.

Have fun this weekend, everyone! So jealous I can't make it out with you guys. I guess a private tour of the Guiness factory in Dublin will have to suffice next week.

The views from the bar on top of the Guinness factory are amazing. You get a panoramic view of the whole city. Oh and the beer is good too. Actually I’m not a huge Guinness guy, but you can definitely tell a difference when drinking it right from the source

Back to my other love....golf. Had a day for the ages yesterday. We had our heaven/hell tournament where the front nine is up two tee boxes and we putt into 8” cups. Some people find it silly, but I think it’s it’s an interesting way to see where your flaws are. What I mean is two of my buddies tied me on the front at -2. They are a 15 and a 23 handicap. The latter holed it from 80 yards on the #1 handicap hole for a net 0!

On the back (hell) it was back to the blue tees and regular cups with some not so friendly pin positions. Those two tied with +13 while I shot -1 for a 59 overall. Good enough to win my flight by one stroke over our head greenskeeper and defending club champion. While it doesn’t technically count, I’m still quite pleased with how I played. 3 real birdies and 3 fake ones. Won $106 for my 2 gross and 1 net skins.

Another note on the big cups. Municipal courses MUST add these! We played 30 minutes ahead of pace on the front and 8 minutes behind on the back. People just simply spend way too much time putting. I think it adds an element of fun to the game. You have so much more confidence inside 10 feet you just get up there and hit it. Golf is too hard for 80% of people who play it. Making rounds take less time is also good for the game and more profitable for the course.

I’m sure a post about big cups on the main section of these forums would go about as well as music on the course threads do. But I’m sold on the idea. I like to have a good mix of fun rounds in with serious rounds. In all honesty, a regular old strokeplay round of golf is my least favorite. Give me match play, scramble, best ball, any team event really.

Speaking of which, I can’t sleep cause I get to head back to the Links for a party on the golf course in 3 hours!

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Ugh. I'm suffering from benign positional vertigo at the moment (the same thing that afflicted Jason Day at the US Open at Chambers Bay). I laid down on the bathroom floor for 8 hours yesterday while my whole world was spinning endlessly. Fortunately, I'm able to sit up now, but I've have to postpone any form of golf until I actually don't feel wobbly.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

If anyone wants to play Red Sky this summer, let me know. I'm generally available Sundays and Mondays, I can book tee times inside of 24 hours with paying guests at any time of the day as long as there is an open tee time. Odd days (like today, the 25th) are Norman course days, and Even days (like tomorrow the 26th) are Fazio days. Rate is nicely discounted. played a couple rounds with Aaron and Joel last season and I'd like to give more WRXers the opportunity to come play. PM me for details if you'd like.

That’s an awesome offer. I played the Fazio course a couple years ago when we were staying up in Vail for a short mini vacation. I’d love to play the Norman course some time.

I’m in if the timing is good!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Ugh. I'm suffering from benign positional vertigo at the moment (the same thing that afflicted Jason Day at the US Open at Chambers Bay). I laid down on the bathroom floor for 8 hours yesterday while my whole world was spinning endlessly. Fortunately, I'm able to sit up now, but I've have to postpone any form of golf until I actually don't feel wobbly.

Yikes.

Why is it that everyone always assumes the winning team cheated in scrambles? Really wish Colorado would get on board with playing in 8somes

We shot -10 to win by 3 shots yesterday. Never missed a green or sniffed a bogey. The wives drained 5 of the 10 birdies, and there were 8 holes I didn’t even putt. It was funny though that I won the putting contest afterwards even though I didn’t help my team much other than on approach shots.

Most importantly we got drunk and had fun.

Geez. Rest up.

Is it just me or is hole 10 at Saddle Rock golf course a very poor design.....?

Yeah, I used to hate that hole too. Just hard to fit the eye. But, I’m going to say no. The carry isn’t really as long as it looks so I’d favor accuracy over distance. I’d say the very next hole is worse. I hate holes where you can’t hit everything you have when your next shot is going to be over 200 yards. Like that stupidly bad par 4 on Kennedy near 225 where you can’t hit driver but then have at mid iron at best into an elevated green

I feel like 18 at Pelican Lakes is similar. I recall having to go 5i then 5w over a creek and through trees to get to a slightly elevated green.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

So, my long weekend of golf is finally over. Walking 36 holes on Sunday nearly did me in. High 80's, super sunny. Knolls & Dunes. I think I've found my limit as a 30 year old. Crazy how different I feel versus doing the same thing at 21. Was very impressed, I played with a group of 3 older gentlemen at the Knolls. Two of them were 78 years old, and still walking 18 holes once a week.

Played decent. Played the best last night at CO National. Probably because I was so tired and sore that I was swinging super easy and smooth, not trying to crush everything. Came in at Even par on the front 9, then the huge storm hit as I was in the fairway of #10. Major bummer, because I felt in the zone. Definitely want to get back out there and play it again soon.

Yes, I really dislike par 5's where you have to take an iron off the tee.

Unfortunately, I only got out once this weekend. Allergies completely sidelined me yesterday - they are really bad for me this year, and I rarely get affected by them.

Anyway, I got out to South Suburban and had an okay round with some holes that really pissed me off lol. I think hole 5 out there has the most ridiculous green out there. I had a long first putt from pin high that I thought was going to be decent, but nope! It rolled off the green, which resulted in a 4-putt! Sigh. Then on another hole, I hit what I thought to be the perfect chip, which proceeded to roll off the green as well. That place can be so frustrating at times. I think I ended up having 40 putts. Oh and I blew a 1.5' putt for birdie on a 177yd par 3. I was scared of the putt and put a terrible stroke on it.

All that being said though, I still managed an 88 somehow, and my handicap is trending down in the 13's finally. I started last season out as a 17.x, so I'm fairly happy overall. I find that my below average rounds are still scoring decent which is encouraging. Last weekend, I felt like I played horribly at GVR and shot a 91. Last year, that would have been a semi-acceptable round for me, so there is PROGRESS!

I'd like to get down to the 11's, but I'm going to need to get a bit better on and around the greens. While I feel confident with my putter and have some solid rounds putting, I'm averaging 37 putts per round, whereas last year I was averaging 35.

Edel E-1

So bummed. I was invited to play in a scramble at The Sanctuary over next weekend, but I'll be in Ireland. Anyone else had a chance to play there? It's on my list and I'm pretty bummed I can't do it.

Oof! That's definitely a dream/bucket list course for me. Ireland is also some place I've always wanted to visit. Sounds like either way, you're coming out on top! But yeah, I can't imagine the pain I'd feel having to decline an offer there. Hell, that's the sort of place I'd take out a loan just to get onto.

So bummed. I was invited to play in a scramble at The Sanctuary over next weekend, but I'll be in Ireland. Anyone else had a chance to play there? It's on my list and I'm pretty bummed I can't do it.

I have a buddy that plays it every year with a friend for some kind of charity scramble event. In fact, he played it last Monday. He said it's an amazing course.

Update: Lost my matchplay and played pretty bad, definitely deserved to lose. However, the 17 handicap I played had 7 net birdies and hit 11 greens in regulation from the white tees. That is pretty damn good. I think I just ran in to a hot player on a hot streak. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

I'll try to make Brian feel a little better. I got invited to play Colorado Golf Club on a Friday afternoon two weeks ago. Typically this is a perfect time for me to play. However, this particular Friday afternoon we were hosting my mother-in-laws surprise 60th birthday and 65 people were coming to our house. I asked the wife, (obviously you always try for CGC), and she said "you can go but you better meet somebody nice out there you can live with because you won't be coming back here". Ouch, no CGC.

Finally, I'm in Gothenburg this weekend for 5 rounds at Wildhorse so I'll update back on conditions but it should be pristine. One of my favorite weekends of the year!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

I decided to sign up for the Tin Cup tournament too.

I've never played in any type of tournament before, and I don't expect to score well, but it sounds like a fun format. I'm sure it'll be a great exercise in course management and creative shot making.

7-iron tourney sounds fun. I've thought about suggesting a 3-club tourney for our Thursday night events. What other unique formats could I suggest that would be fun?

Edel E-1

Update: Lost my matchplay and played pretty bad, definitely deserved to lose. However, the 17 handicap I played had 7 net birdies and hit 11 greens in regulation from the white tees. That is pretty damn good. I think I just ran in to a hot player on a hot streak. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

I'll try to make Brian feel a little better. I got invited to play Colorado Golf Club on a Friday afternoon two weeks ago. Typically this is a perfect time for me to play. However, this particular Friday afternoon we were hosting my mother-in-laws surprise 60th birthday and 65 people were coming to our house. I asked the wife, (obviously you always try for CGC), and she said "you can go but you better meet somebody nice out there you can live with because you won't be coming back here". Ouch, no CGC.

Finally, I'm in Gothenburg this weekend for 5 rounds at Wildhorse so I'll update back on conditions but it should be pristine. One of my favorite weekends of the year!

Always the case with 17 HDCP players...Speaking of high hdcp when we doing the CO-WRX round again, just need to jack my Hdcp up to 15 at min this time around =) JK

Have fun at Wildhorse, I really wish I could of gone!!! Your wife's comment is classic. Post up some photos, and just not of the bucket of beers :alcoholic:

Granted I did not get the same response your wife provided, but I got that crooked eye stare and the "REALLY" comment when I mentioned going. I really don't see how going to Pinehurst next week should be a factor, lets be honest it would of been 3 days apart schedule wise....so technically a whole different week :D

Why is it that everyone always assumes the winning team cheated in scrambles? Really wish Colorado would get on board with playing in 8somes

We shot -10 to win by 3 shots yesterday. Never missed a green or sniffed a bogey. The wives drained 5 of the 10 birdies, and there were 8 holes I didn’t even putt. It was funny though that I won the putting contest afterwards even though I didn’t help my team much other than on approach shots.

Most importantly we got drunk and had fun.

I've played a couple of events at Spring Valley in Elizabeth. They always go out in 8some.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

This made me laugh out loud. I can almost hear my wife say the exact same thing.

Have fun at WH.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

I played it last couple of years. Honestly, for me it's okay. Some great views and few good holes. I think if you like/love Engh designed course you'll love it. Don't flame me too hard. :)

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Sounds like the Gauntlet at Blackstone

Hahaha I hate those holes... =)

If I have to be honest, for me the only hole that's poorly designed it 13 and it's mostly off the tee. The fairway is narrow, slopes left towards the hazard. Anything with a slightest draw that lands middle or further left is in the hazard. You can't miss right because of all the bunkers. The safe landing area is about 25-30 yards wide. I've heard rumors that they want to redo the hole and move the bunkers to the left side of the fairway.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4