Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

So, I had signed up for the Father's Day Scramble down at King's Deer. My dad was going to come in from Illinois and play with with me. Just got a call and due to complications with a surgery my mom had, he's not going to be able to make it out here for it. So, if anyone wants to play in a 2-person scramble with me on June 17th, let me know! Figured I'd throw out some feelers on here before just having to cancel all together. Joel & I played in it last year and won. Pretty fun, I love that course.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the Gauntlet at Blackstone

Hahaha I hate those holes... =)

If I have to be honest, for me the only hole that's poorly designed it 13 and it's mostly off the tee. The fairway is narrow, slopes left towards the hazard. Anything with a slightest draw that lands middle or further left is in the hazard. You can't miss right because of all the bunkers. The safe landing area is about 25-30 yards wide. I've heard rumors that they want to redo the hole and move the bunkers to the left side of the fairway.

My buddy used to be one of the pros at Blackstone and I knew another member so I got to play it a number of times. That one is really tough but overall I really like the course. Good mix of holes. Not driver / short iron all day long.

Interested to see what they decide to do

If I have to be honest, for me the only hole that's poorly designed it 13 and it's mostly off the tee. The fairway is narrow, slopes left towards the hazard. Anything with a slightest draw that lands middle or further left is in the hazard. You can't miss right because of all the bunkers. The safe landing area is about 25-30 yards wide. I've heard rumors that they want to redo the hole and move the bunkers to the left side of the fairway.

My buddy used to be one of the pros at Blackstone and I knew another member so I got to play it a number of times. That one is really tough but overall I really like the course. Good mix of holes. Not driver / short iron all day long.

Joey?

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Joey?

Yeah. He and I were both professional skaters in the same era.

My man - He's an awesome dude and I miss him being around here.

I didn't know about his skateboarding background until much later.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

My man - He's an awesome dude and I miss him being around here.

I didn't know about his skateboarding background until much later.

Me too. He's doing well down in AZ. Last time I was down there for work, I played at the club he manages and the one he's a member of. Super good dude for sure.

*sigh* I thought my vertigo would be gone by now. It isn't. I can function normally, but I definitely feel that something's not right with my inner ear. Because of that, I decided to withdraw from the FRGC event at Fossil Trace on Sunday. I start my new job on Monday, so I figured a day of rest would be better.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

*sigh* I thought my vertigo would be gone by now. It isn't. I can function normally, but I definitely feel that something's not right with my inner ear. Because of that, I decided to withdraw from the FRGC event at Fossil Trace on Sunday. I start my new job on Monday, so I figured a day of rest would be better.

Sorry to hear that man. Hope you get it sorted out and get back on the course soon.

Get well and good luck in the new job!!

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

I'll be playing in the Collindale Invitational this weekend. I hope my consistent game comes out to play. There's been glimmers of hope I'm close to turning the corner but a couple/three blowup holes a round kills the round. Goal is to keep the ball in play and in the fairway, hit greens and keep the ball below the hole. Greens have been double cut and are hard from what I've been told. My guess is that the greens will measure 12 to 12.5 for the tournament.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Sorry to hear about the vertigo. Best of luck getting over that.

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

I'll be playing in the Collindale Invitational this weekend. I hope my consistent game comes out to play. There's been glimmers of hope I'm close to turning the corner but a couple/three blowup holes a round kills the round. Goal is to keep the ball in play and in the fairway, hit greens and keep the ball below the hole. Greens have been double cut and are hard from what I've been told. My guess is that the greens will measure 12 to 12.5 for the tournament.

Hope you play well. I was hoping to play in that one but daughter's gymnastics and yard work take precedent, or at least that is what I've been told.

Get well and good luck in the new job!!

Ditto. Vertigo is no joke. I played with Shane Bertsch several years ago by chance and he had to take an entire year off from pro golf due to vertigo. Rest up!

Hope you play well. I was hoping to play in that one but daughter's gymnastics and yard work take precedent, or at least that is what I've been told.

I definitely understand. It took me a lot of years of daughter's activities (x2) and yard work before I got to a place where I can play again. My issue is a decade and a half of rust takes time to remove and a job requiring travel. I'm getting there. I'm hoping for for two rounds in the 70s. Greens will be rolling near 12 at Collindale. They looked to be around 11-11.5 today with tame pin placements. Tomorrow will start the diabolical. Sunday will definitely be. Not unfair but diabolical.

Congrats on the new job, but vertigo definitely sucks. I was talking to someone at our pool yesterday, and she has been suffering from it as well. I guess her doctor said allergies can bring it on, which have been severe this year. That really surprised me, but I guess it has something to do with blockage of the inner ear.

Hope it's gotten better, and good luck today with the job!

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

I don't know if it's a coincidence or not...but the hole I blew up on was the hole my group finally caught the group in front of us. Like, we had already been waiting on every shot up until that point...but we literally pulled up to the tee box as they were walking back to their carts...and they didn't let us play through. The 3 slowest players I've ever witnessed on the course. Nobody in front of them. So we had to stand around waiting for them to find their balls, chip up, and finish the hole. Meanwhile, the group behind us caught up with us and there were 7 people on the tee box. So I pulled my tee shot left into the hazard. I was just so flustered and mentally angry that I think I let it get to me. Because up until that point, I was so relaxed and everything felt so natural!

Nice round! Impressive to card that many pars in a row, so you definitely take away something awesome from that round. Sucks that slow play screwed you. It's tough for me not to get frustrated with that as well.

As for me, I had an 11 shot swing between 9's on Saturday. That was fun lol. We'll see if I actually learned my lesson as to not stay up drinking until 12:30 to get up at 530 for my kids swim meet (they're really exhausting for some reason), then play golf at 1130. I played decent through 6 (+4), then had to grind pretty hard 7-10 when I started to lose my swing (+3), then completely fell apart for most of the remaining holes (+18 over 7 holes...ouch) for a smooth 43/54. I was certainly way too tired to be playing...

Edel E-1

I don't know if it's a coincidence or not...but the hole I blew up on was the hole my group finally caught the group in front of us. Like, we had already been waiting on every shot up until that point...but we literally pulled up to the tee box as they were walking back to their carts...and they didn't let us play through. The 3 slowest players I've ever witnessed on the course. Nobody in front of them. So we had to stand around waiting for them to find their balls, chip up, and finish the hole. Meanwhile, the group behind us caught up with us and there were 7 people on the tee box. So I pulled my tee shot left into the hazard. I was just so flustered and mentally angry that I think I let it get to me. Because up until that point, I was so relaxed and everything felt so natural!

This bothers me more than almost anything golf related. Golf is a gentleman's game and some people are so selfish and just do not give a s***. I've blown up so many rounds on this exact same situation. I'm now becoming rude and just asking to play through rather than waiting for them to give me the opportunity. So sorry to hear this because it is so painful.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

This bothers me more than almost anything golf related. Golf is a gentleman's game and some people are so selfish and just do not give a s***. I've blown up so many rounds on this exact same situation. I'm now becoming rude and just asking to play through rather than waiting for them to give me the opportunity. So sorry to hear this because it is so painful.

The worst part is, we ran into them on #17 tee. These guys have been driving the ball 150-180 yards, and well off the fairway all day long. Yet these guys told us "Sorry, we're just waiting for the green to clear." To go over the lake, you need to carry 265 from the tee box we were on. There wasn't a chance in Hell any of them would ever clear it, even on their best drives of their lives. I just don't understand people like that.

So, I went out to Gothenburg this weekend for our annual trip to Wildhorse and thought I'd do a write up. The trip was supposed to start Thursday afternoon but I got a call to play Colorado Golf Club Thursday at noon. Needless to say, it was an awesome time. I played the "plaques" with a college player. He shot a 76 on a 75.5/149 slope. I shot 89 and pretty much got beat up everywhere. It was still a ton of fun and my highlight was almost having two hole in ones, a 6 iron from 262 and a 9 iron from 203. Course was in great shape and pure as always. Still ranks as my favorite course I've played in the state (haven't played Cherry Hills).

Signature par 3 out there that played from 203 all the way back.

Double fairway risk/reward Par 5 16th hole. Hit an awesome drive and couldn't make birdie with a nine iron in my hand.

After this we got out to Wildhorse late on Thursday night and played 36 Friday and Saturday with 18 on Sunday before driving back. They've been getting a lot of rain and the course was in the best shape I've ever seen. Greens were fast, perfect and the fescue was thick. I still rank the purity and true roll of Wildhorse's greens as the best I've ever played anywhere. Friday played with a 25 mph south wind, saturday a 20 mph north wind, and sunday was dead quiet. It was awesome because it was like playing 3 completely unique courses. I got beat up and didn't hit the ball particularly well. Shot 85, 80, 78, 78, 81. It's a quick, easy, cheap trip that I wouldn't recommend to anyone looking for a get away. Cheers!

So, I went out to Gothenburg this weekend for our annual trip to Wildhorse and thought I'd do a write up. The trip was supposed to start Thursday afternoon but I got a call to play Colorado Golf Club Thursday at noon. Needless to say, it was an awesome time. I played the "plaques" with a college player. He shot a 76 on a 75.5/149 slope. I shot 89 and pretty much got beat up everywhere. It was still a ton of fun and my highlight was almost having two hole in ones, a 6 iron from 262 and a 9 iron from 203. Course was in great shape and pure as always. Still ranks as my favorite course I've played in the state (haven't played Cherry Hills).

Double fairway risk/reward Par 5 16th hole. Hit an awesome drive and couldn't make birdie with a nine iron in my hand.

After this we got out to Wildhorse late on Thursday night and played 36 Friday and Saturday with 18 on Sunday before driving back. They've been getting a lot of rain and the course was in the best shape I've ever seen. Greens were fast, perfect and the fescue was thick. I still rank the purity and true roll of Wildhorse's greens as the best I've ever played anywhere. Friday played with a 25 mph south wind, saturday a 20 mph north wind, and sunday was dead quiet. It was awesome because it was like playing 3 completely unique courses. I got beat up and didn't hit the ball particularly well. Shot 85, 80, 78, 78, 81. It's a quick, easy, cheap trip that I wouldn't recommend to anyone looking for a get away. Cheers!

Thinking you mean "would recommend"....or because of the night time festivities :D

Looks like conditions were excellent which really bums me out now. Really wish I could of gone but ended up working all weekend to make sure I get out of town this week for my trip cleanly. I guess the rain hit there also and the conditions are supposed to be fantastic (or so being told). Wish I had more time to practice before going to get the game in better form...o well at least playing 5 new tracks this year in one trip. *Working on hitting X amount of new tracks each year now....hoping on 15-20 this year.

Thinking you mean "would recommend"....or because of the night time festivities :D

Looks like conditions were excellent which really bums me out now. Really wish I could of gone but ended up working all weekend to make sure I get out of town this week for my trip cleanly. I guess the rain hit there also and the conditions are supposed to be fantastic (or so being told). Wish I had more time to practice before going to get the game in better form...o well at least playing 5 new tracks this year in one trip. *Working on hitting X amount of new tracks each year now....hoping on 15-20 this year.

definitely what I meant. For the record, I WOULD recommend going!

a 6 iron from 262 and a 9 iron from 203.

giphy.gif

Hot, wind, elevated tees, and me jumping on clubs while playing bad.

a 6 iron from 262 and a 9 iron from 203.

giphy.gif

Holy crap, I totally missed that part initially!

262 = laying up lol...or 5w with a stiff tailwind, or hit a 3w and be way off target

203 = 5i...hopefully

I'm lucky to hit a 9i 155yds. Those numbers for your clubs are nuts!

Edel E-1