Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone playing this weekend? I wanna get out either Saturday or Sunday, but have nothing set yet. Might check out Buffalo Run. Haven't played there since February of 2017. Don't really remember it all too well, but $35 to walk it after Twilight.

I like the course but conditions were a disaster the last time I was there many years ago with lots of fairways having large patches of dirt. Let us know if it's better now if you play there.

Season has been pretty good so far; my game is okay (handicap down from 9.6 to 7.7 thus far) but I've played poorly in club tournaments. Ironbridge (home course) came out of the mild and dry winter really well; but everything around here it going to be super dry as we start into summer.

Headed down the hill last weekend for some family time (grew up in Denver) and played Raccoon Creek and rode the golf boards; it was super fun and made for a unique day of golf. I found them easy to ride and I liked the ability for everyone to go to their own ball instead of two sharing a cart being tethered for most of the round. Raccoon Creek was in good shape and it's a fun layout which I hadn't played in 7+ years (they have a brand new clubhouse).

Going to caddie for my buddy in the US Am qualifier at Fort Collins CC in July; anyone played out there and have some Intel/local knowledge for me to keep in the back of my mind? Looks like a parkland, tree-lined CC; but I've played no golf in the Ft Collins area so I'm not sure if there are "everything breaks away from xxxxx" or other things to know up that way.

It is a really good course. I played in qualifier last year and will be again this year. For shots past 150 yards you'll need to account for roll out as the greens should be really firm. There isn't really a prevailing break that I could find. Fairways are a must there and less than driver is required on a lot of holes. You're buddy will hopefully be able to work the ball both ways. The front nine is all doglegs with the par 4s requiring a draw and both par 5s requiring a fade. The good thing about the course is pretty much everything is laid out in front of you. Let me know if you guys want to play that Sunday before.

I'm heading out for a quick weekend to play Secession Golf Club in South Carolina...and holy balls am I excited. Old school links course, no golf carts, have to take caddie, no real estate on the course, Atlantic coast nearby...I may never come back!

Nice, let us know how it is. I'm hoping to make another S.C trip in the next couple years.

SC has some good golf for sure.

Currently In NC right now (Pinehurst) and all I can say is it is HOT with humidity index.......but Amazing golf....!!!

4 rounds in 3 days so far with one tomorrow morning. Even with the heat right now soooo worth it.

MID Pines, Pine Needles, No.2, Dormie Club downed so far with Tobacco Road tomorrow on way back to Raleigh. It is interesting to read all the reviews online and then show up to play them. One of the above tracks has moved into my top 5 of all time so far....!!

So relaxed here with spectacular golf.

Not sure if anyone else has been out here but this place is golf HEAVEN and I would tell anyone they need to come.

Good weekend, but hot. Saturday 12 of us played the Ridge at Castle Pines, and I played pretty well overall. Ended up finishing 2nd net, 3 strokes behind. I blew up on the 18th hole with a quad bogey and 3-putt bogey on 17. I knew I had a good round going, and the tee shot on 18 simply freaked me out. Oh well. Then placed 2nd in poker later that night where the guy that won got a stupid lucky river card to win. It was a day of 2nd place finishes lol.

Sunday was our men's club individual stroke play where I finished one stroke behind for 3rd place (2 guys tied for first). Again, I 3-putted 17 and doubled 18. Just couldn't finish a round this weekend. The heat really got to me and I was beat by hole 15 or so both days. Despite 3-putting 17 both days, I was really happy with my putting, and overall play really. Got unlucky a couple times on Saturday that cost me 3-4 strokes (some of those bunkers can be brutal!).

All in all though, my game is coming around. I don't think it's unrealistic for me to get down to an 11hcp by the end of the season. Now that I've said that, I'll shoot 100 next time out lol.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Oh, and my buddy who is an 8hcp, shot a smooth 113 at the Ridge on Saturday hitting 12/14 fairways and no 3-putts :cheesy:

Edel E-1

Oh, and my buddy who is an 8hcp, shot a smooth 113 at the Ridge on Saturday hitting 12/14 fairways and no 3-putts :cheesy:

I always feel really tight driving out there. The bunkers are trash and very inconsistent. Your buddy needs to work on his iron play and chipping it sounds like. If you can hit 12/14 fairways out there you should easy be under your handicap.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

I always feel really tight driving out there. The bunkers are trash and very inconsistent. Your buddy needs to work on his iron play and chipping it sounds like. If you can hit 12/14 fairways out there you should easy be under your handicap.

My buddy is a hell of a player, he just got a really bad case of the sh*&^s. Even worse for him, he lost $205 to one of his playing partners lol.

Edel E-1

So, in a last minute decision, I went out to Murphy Creek this week. Got paired up with a 3-some of total non-golfers. T-shirts, jeans, cargo pants. None of them wearing spikes. One of them wearing plain sandals. They would advance the ball about 20-50 yards every swing. It'd take them 8-10 shots to get to the green, then another 5-6 chipping & putting. It was just absolutely horrible. The most frustrating round I've ever played. On number 9 green, I asked if I could just play ahead, which they were cool with. So I ended up playing the back 9 totally on my own. Went from a +5 on the front (3 putted so many greens because I was getting so mentally bothered by the slow play), to a +1 on the back. My driver though...I don't know what was going on with it. I was hitting the ball way further than I normally do.

Drives with driver: 235, 264, 268, 273, 285, 294, 296, 320, 321, 321. 7/10 fairways

Drives with 3-wood: 273, 302, 303. 2/3 fairways

That's just...I donno. Not my typical self. But I'll take it! Now if only I could figure out how to consistently swing the club that way.

I

So, in a last minute decision, I went out to Murphy Creek this week. Got paired up with a 3-some of total non-golfers. T-shirts, jeans, cargo pants. None of them wearing spikes. One of them wearing plain sandals. They would advance the ball about 20-50 yards every swing. It'd take them 8-10 shots to get to the green, then another 5-6 chipping & putting. It was just absolutely horrible. The most frustrating round I've ever played. On number 9 green, I asked if I could just play ahead, which they were cool with. So I ended up playing the back 9 totally on my own. Went from a +5 on the front (3 putted so many greens because I was getting so mentally bothered by the slow play), to a +1 on the back. My driver though...I don't know what was going on with it. I was hitting the ball way further than I normally do.

Drives with driver: 235, 264, 268, 273, 285, 294, 296, 320, 321, 321. 7/10 fairways

That's just...I donno. Not my typical self. But I'll take it! Now if only I could figure out how to consistently swing the club that way.

If you factor 5%ish for the temps this weekend does that bring you back to normal? My father-in-law has a bad hip/back so he tends to hit the ball quite a bit further on the warm days because of the air being lighter combined with the body feeling much looser.

I

If you factor 5%ish for the temps this weekend does that bring you back to normal? My father-in-law has a bad hip/back so he tends to hit the ball quite a bit further on the warm days because of the air being lighter combined with the body feeling much looser.

Kinda sorta. I mean, I'm usually around 265-ish off the tee. Maybe ONCE a round, I'll get one near 300. But to have 7 drives above 290? That's pretty unheard of. I'm mostly happy I'm finally hitting the ball straight(ish) and finding lots of fairways. Went 71% fairways and 56% GIRs with 32 putts.

This makes me feel a little better.

I had one of those days yesterday where I wanted to quit golf. I hit 6 tee shots that were just awful. 2 snap hooks, two dead pushes with the driver, a flat out duff with the 3-wood and lastly a toe shank with a 6-iron on #18. A lot of this may have just been fatigue after playing 27 holes on Saturday. I made 3 birdies and probably about 120 feet of putts total (sadly a couple bombs for par and one for double bogey) so it was a day I could have scored well had I been able to get off the tee.

I promptly ordered a driving iron cause that 3-wood is never going back to the bag. The driver is something I'm going to have to figure out. One out four good swings is not going to cut it. But I need to have a backup go to club when the driver isn't working so hopefully this new iron will do the trick. I won't play another round until 6/23 so maybe a break will help as well.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Warning! Really long write up ahead.

So Secession Golf Club is an absolute treasure. By far the most favorite place I've ever played. It's an experience I won't forget (and will hopefully get to play there many more times).

As I mentioned before, it is a walking-only club. No carts allowed, and you have to take caddies out (at least in the morning). We played a few holes in the afternoon without them and carried our own bags, but morning rounds were always with caddies. We stayed in the clubhouse (it has rooms on the second story with a locker-room style shared bathroom) and it was great, was just what we needed. Pretty basic accommodations, but it's tough to beat waking up and walking out to the range and putting green.

We played our first 18 on Saturday morning. Weather was overcast which was nice, kept it a little cool. My caddy was a former teaching pro who became a caddie 20 years ago (I didn't ask the story why) and he'd been caddying at the club ever since. He knew every single break on the greens by heart and could tell you what your putt would do as soon as the ball stopped on the green. He was a joy to play with...a little cranky, a dry sense of humor, and had just enough advice to help you out but not be overbearing. A true pro.

The course is a links style course that weaves in and out of marshland. In low tide you can find your ball (and about 100 others) but when the tide is up, it fills with water and your ball is gone. It's a very difficult course (72.9/143 from the tees we played) but I thought it was very fair. Good shots were rewarded, bad shots were punished, but even many wayward shots could be found and recovered from. The greens were smooth as glass and fast as hell. It was a joy to putt on them. If you look up the club you'll see pics (and their website has a course tour if you are really interested).

The stretch of 11-13 is a real bear - all par 4s that play 444, 433, and 426. Ouch. Not to mention 9, which is a 600 yard par 5. 17 is an island green par 3 that only played 130 or so on the card, and we thankfully didn't have wind to deal with outside of one time. It was an easy 9 iron with how we played it without wind, but when the wind was blowing it was a full blown 7, and the caddies said sometimes you have to play a 5 iron due to the wind. Fun and beautiful hole.

In any event, I shot an 88, which I was really happy with considering I could not get my driver going at all. We then started to play again but had to take a rain/storm break after 6 holes. Sat around the clubhouse drinking and watching golf on TV, then when the storm cleared we went out and played another 18. Shot an 85, still couldn't hit driver but putting was on point.

We then decided to have some fun and play what they call "The Point" which is holes 16, 17, and 18 (they start and end at the clubhouse). It consists of a par 5, the island par 3, and the finishing par 4. We decided to have some fun and agreed to just take out 4 clubs. I took my 4w, 6i, 9i, and putter. Was a blast. Also made me realize how much we overthink this game. When you only have 4 clubs to choose from, it makes the game so much easier. Just hit the ball and make it work with what you have.

So day 1 ended after 45 holes of golf (and 20 miles of walking according to my iPhone....eek!).

Day 2 we got out with the first tee time and played 18, I shot an 86. It was hot and humid - 90, sunny, and about 90% humidity. Driver was finally working, long irons and 4w were a mess. Oh well. We then played another 9, I shot a 44. We were running short on time and so we decided to head back out to The Point and play those 3 again, for 30 more holes. 13 more miles of walking. Then we had to shower, eat, and head to the airport.

Oh, I had also played 9 at GVR Friday before my flight. So all in all, I played 84 holes in 3 days and walked a marathon and then some. I am very sore today.

Final story, we played the afternoon 9 with another member who was an absolute stick. He shot a 34 on the front and has won the club championship before (and there are some players there). Nothing crazy about that, right? Well, he plays and grips the clubs (all his clubs, not just his putter), cross handed. Cross handed! It was so crazy to watch, but he was such a good player. He's probably in his 50s and had been playing like that his whole life. It was a sight to see. Here's some pictures.

On another note, what men's clubs have good reputations and are fun? GVR has taken a turn for the worse this year...ownership of the course couldn't give a care for Men's club.

I've heard South Suburban and Lone Tree take it too seriously and are overly competitive.

I know Seven Dewey here likes the Links, but I think I'd rather play a championship course. Then of course, I know I'd have a good time drinking beers with him lol.

Someone else here is a member of Front Range (Swede?), but I'd like to have a home course to have familiarity and get good tourney rates.

Has anyone heard anything about the Aurora Hills Men's Club or Saddle Rock/Murphy Creek Men's Club? Fox Hollow?

Any others you'd recommend? Ideally, I'd like to stay south of downtown or 30 minute drive from Centennial.

thaar,

I play in the Meadow Hills Men's Club and its a great group.

Just started this year and have yet to get paired with someone i didn't get along with, not only are the majority friendly but very helpful for my first time ever joining a Men's League.

Weekday tee times are on Monday nights, tournaments one or twice monthly.

Good luck, hope to see you out there!

Looking at ASak10's AMAZING photos above of Secession Golf Club and actually taking a real golf trip last week makes me realize I need to do more golf trips. Been awhile since I had taken just a "golf" trip, as in it is focused on GOLF. I forgot how much fun it can be (for me that is....).

*Lucky for me the wife and rug rat are east going. Doing 36 in a day at two courses I was pretty much gone the whole day...!

Looking at ASak10's AMAZING photos above of Secession Golf Club and actually taking a real golf trip last week makes me realize I need to do more golf trips. Been awhile since I had taken just a "golf" trip, as in it is focused on GOLF. I forgot how much fun it can be (for me that is....).

*Lucky for me the wife and rug rat are east going. Doing 36 in a day at two courses I was pretty much gone the whole day...!

Word.

Maybe I'll find some time to recount my round at Red Hawk Ridge on Sunday soon. Maybe tonight. Until then...

My wife and kids will be gone the whole month of July. Everyone at my new job says to work just a little bit extra during the week, and you can leave by 3pm on Friday.

For us southsiders, I propose a Friday evening 9-hole beer league at Family Sports Center for the month of July. Maybe start at 4:30, play 9 holes, and then have a beer or two at the Avalanche Grill afterwards. Green fees are only $13 (with coupon from website), and maybe we can throw in $5 for some side games?

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Maybe I'll find some time to recount my round at Red Hawk Ridge on Sunday soon. Maybe tonight. Until then...

My wife and kids will be gone the whole month of July. Everyone at my new job says to work just a little bit extra during the week, and you can leave by 3pm on Friday.

For us southsiders, I propose a Friday evening 9-hole beer league at Family Sports Center for the month of July. Maybe start at 4:30, play 9 holes, and then have a beer or two at the Avalanche Grill afterwards. Green fees are only $13 (with coupon from website), and maybe we can throw in $5 for some side games?

I’m intrigued by this.

Red Hawk Ridge

Sunday, June 10

I shouldn't complain about shooting a 78 (37-41), but I will. :) I surprisingly had no three putts, only three bad drives (one led to a lost ball), and a 220yd 8-iron on 15. (Downhill approach with a stiff tailwind.) My biggest disappointment is that I had some really bad approach shots including a pured 75yd GW (my typical 125yd club) uphill into a stiff breeze when I needed 100. I also failed to convert three birdie putts inside 10 feet on the back nine, including on 17 & 18, which probably cost me my match play match (1-down). My opponent was a 6-handicap who spent his 20's on the long drive tour. He shot a 73, including an absolute clutch 12-foot par putt on 17. On 18, he almost one-bounced it into the lake ... with a 5-wood!

I'm a fan of Red Hawk Ridge. Probably because I can always shoot well on the course; since probably it's because it's only about 6300yds from the second to last tees. The course keeps you honest because, with the exception of 7, you can leave your driver in the bag until the 13th hole. Until then, the par 4s are all basically 3-iron off the tee with a short iron into the green.

If I were king for a day, I would swap the 9s and have a match play day. While 18 is a fantastic finishing hole, I think the front 9 has so many great risk/reward holes that would make any match incredibly exciting.

FRGC is heading to Marianna Butte on Saturday. Can't wait.

I'm down for that!

Also, I was very close to joining the Front Range Golf Club this year. Just because playing every-other weekend isn't enough to satisfy competitive rounds for me with the GolfWeek Am Tour.

Red Hawk Ridge

If I were king for a day, I would swap the 9s and have a match play day. While 18 is a fantastic finishing hole, I think the front 9 has so many great risk/reward holes that would make any match incredibly exciting.

FRGC is heading to Marianna Butte on Saturday. Can't wait.

Jealous! Love Marianna Butte.

Yes the back is a bit easier at Red Hawk but I still prefer it being the closing nine cause of the 3/3/3 setup of the different pars

I’m intrigued by this.

Our office is close so I might be able to swing a night or two.

If anyone is wondering, the courses are Mid Pines, Pine Needles, Dormie Club, Tobacco Road and No.2 (thanks to a very gracious resort member last minute...huge cost savings!!!!)

Edit: No.2 was not on the list to play at 385.00 plus caddie/tip. Tough pill to swallow at roughly $500+ all in.

Lucky I guess as randomly I played with member of the resort on my first round of the week at Mid Pines. His friend bailed on him and we had a great time together so he offered me the slot. Plus it came at a very nice reduced rate. =_)

Saved a few hundred overall ...which I would tell everyone DO NOT GO IN THE PRO SHOP ...!! Ended up walkimg out with a new 2.5+ sun mountain bag with the Pinehurst logo on it. So really did not save much in the end HAHAHAHA

On that note I have a I have a excellent condition Sun Mountain 2.5 (2016 model) for sale for $100.00 if anyone wants one LOL

Saw an interesting sight today driving past Stoney Creek ... someone was riding what looked like a skateboard but with one big tire in the middle. Carrying clubs on their back and moving along pretty quickly. Looked very cool.

They are called OneWheels.

https://onewheel.com/

Someone did mention earlier that Raccoon Creek has golfboards. Almost makes me want to go play it now.

A bit more.... Trying to temp you guys into say " DAMN when we doing a trip out...." Been back for 3 days and already wanting to go back LOL

DAMN when we doing a trip out?!?!?!

A bit more.... Trying to temp you guys into say " DAMN when we doing a trip out...." Been back for 3 days and already wanting to go back LOL

DAMN when we doing a trip out?!?!?!

I am down for sure :D

Need to get enough interested players and just rent a house...!!

I know you mentioned you have been there, but it surprised me how small of an area it is. I drove no more then 15 mins from the room to all courses (besides Tobacco Road which I hit on way back to Raleigh)

if I had went with another golfer (not the fam) and split the standard hard cost (room/rental) it would of cost me roughly $750.00 ish minus food/entertainment. So a good deal for what you get. (4 nights/5 days and 4 rounds on top courses)

*I used points for the flight on southwest but it appears those are around $200.00-270.00

*No.2 is not included in that 750.00 as it was an last minute add / fill in. Honestly I was 3rd or tied for 2nd of the courses I played