Streamsong Caddie fee

The challenge is that there are so many different models in play - the one that bothers me most is when you play at a place where caddie fees are included in greens fees, and it's really hard to figure out what the guy's getting paid.

Why would you care? If the caddie fees are included in the green fee, then what the caddie receives is between them and management.

I'd like to be assured that the guy carrying my bag for four hours is earning a wage that I think is at least appropriate. If a course charges $350 for a round that includes a caddy, I'd like to know if the guy's getting $30 from the course (basically minimum wage) where I'm going to tip ~$100 or if the guy's getting $100 from the course, and I'm going to tip something like $20.

I understand the macroeconomic point that it doesn't actually matter - the fee was included, and I should tip to the degree that I value the service. And if that's $100, I should give him $100 regardless of how much the course is giving him. But the problem is that I don't really value the service that highly. I play probably 75% of my golf with a caddy, but I'm pretty indifferent to it; in most cases I'd rather carry my own bag. And I'd certainly rather carry my own bag than pay somebody $100 to do it. So the problem is that if it was up to me, I'd pay something like $10. Not because I'm cheap, but because that's how much utility I get out of the service. I understand that this isn't a fair wage for the person lugging my bag, so I want to make sure that they get to a reasonable take-home number.

• Like 1

i was down there in December and everyone in my group seemed to give $120 per bag. keep in mind that most of the time they are double bagging (which i hate).

Couldn't agree more about double bagging. I played Streamsong Black a few weeks ago and had to share a caddie. The guy was running around and wasn't focused on either player. It wasn't his fault, but it still sucks paying full price and getting half the service. Everyone in my group requested their own caddie; instead, we got two for the group, but still paid the full rate ($125 or so per player).

Driver: Epic  Max LS  - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Fairway: Epic Speed 13.5 - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 - Tensei Pro White - 100TX
4-P: Ping Blueprints - X100
Wedges: Vokey SM8 raw 51F, 55F, and 59 low-bounce K - DG TI S400 
Putter: 21' Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: 21' TP5X

I am playing Pebble, Spyglass, Olympic and The Preserve in April and coming from New Zealand there is not a large caddy or tipping culture (basically non existent really). How exactly does the caddy fee/tip work? I don't want to stiff the guys that loop for me. They are doing a job which they should be paid a amount for after all!

I am playing Pebble, Spyglass, Olympic and The Preserve in April and coming from New Zealand there is not a large caddy or tipping culture (basically non existent really). How exactly does the caddy fee/tip work? I don't want to stiff the guys that loop for me. They are doing a job which they should be paid a amount for after all!

For Pebble Beach and Spyglass you will have to pay $92.50 to the pro shop and they recommend tipping 35 to 60 for a double bag or 45 70 for a single caddie. So if the caddie is carrying your bag and another players bag he should walk away with 70-120 in cash from the two players. Plus probably a good amount of the fee paid in the pro shop. All of this is on the website.

https://www.pebblebeach.com/golf/caddie-services/

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

A good caddie should be able to service two people without you feeling like he is running around and not able to service you properly. I carry two bags at a decent golf course and I don't think anyone complains about it.

I agree. I had a great double looper this summer when I was lucky enough to play Friar's Head. Kid was really good and I actually felt like he was "my" caddie. My buddy and I each gave him $150 and he was very pleased. Same model as Streamsong; caddies are independent contractors. I hope my double looper at Streamsong this March is as good.

Does anyone know how far in advance one should request a caddie for Streamsong?

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

A good caddie should be able to service two people without you feeling like he is running around and not able to service you properly. I carry two bags at a decent golf course and I don't think anyone complains about it.

Unless you’re requesting a specific guy, Streamsong is set up with the expectation that you’re going to have a caddy, so you don’t need to request in advance.

With respect to the single vs double bag question, imho double is always better. The real pros want to maximize their earnings, and that means carrying two bags.

I agree. I had a great double looper this summer when I was lucky enough to play Friar's Head. Kid was really good and I actually felt like he was "my" caddie. My buddy and I each gave him $150 and he was very pleased. Same model as Streamsong; caddies are independent contractors. I hope my double looper at Streamsong this March is as good.

Friars Head is a tough walk... I have been fortunate to play there a few times and the caddies have been great!! I think fixing the ball marks is a bit much but it seems to work for them.

Send me a PM and I will send you a few names of some great caddies that work there that I work with in the summer

I always find caddy chat quite interesting as I did it for almost 10 years as a kid/student at Carnoustie (I still do the occasional bag at weekends now when they are really struggling). I’ve also been fortunate to play some top courses the last few years where I’ve had a caddy, including at streamsong, so feel like I’ve seen it from both sides.

Firstly the caddy experience I had at streamsong was one of the worst I’ve had. My friend and I were paired up with 2 course raters from golf digest magazine who were great guys. Since they were from golf digest and course raters we were assigned their top caddy at the time. Great I thought. This guy had caddied on the tour for sabbatini and a few others and had also spent time at pinehurst. What pissed my friend and I off though was he basically spent no time at all with us and concentrated 99% of his efforts on the guys from golf digest. This really rankled us since we had to pay him for this. There was also an awkward moment on a par 5 on the back 9 on the red. Aim at the bunker he told me. You won’t reach it. One bounce and in it went. Not good!

I also agree with some of the comments made about caddies double bagging. I’ve had that at kiawah and secession. For me, you don’t get anywhere near as good a service. At Carnoustie we would never double bag, but occasionally you would be sent out in a 4 ball on your own with instructions to help everyone. It usually meant a good pay day but the service I provided was always poorer compared to caddying for just 1 person. And that was mainly down to the lack of time you got to spend with each guy.

In terms of payment at Carnoustie, our system is you pay the caddy master £6.25 before you go out. The basic rate is £50 with a tip normally £20-£30. You get to keep everything you get paid. Always thought it was a good and fair way of doing it

Ralphy:

Streamsong gave you one caddie for your foursome? Was he carrying all your bags or was he just a "group caddie" that they talk about on their website for $25+tip per player? I can see why that wouldn't work well!

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

cart caddies at streamsong are forecaddies and it's always 1 forecaddie per cart so you should have had your own forecaddie.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Don't like caddies and will never pay one, so if caddies are mandatory, I'll play somewhere else.

In fairness, I don't like carts, and if they're mandatory, I'll (likely) play somewhere else...

Yes so agree, I hate carts, love to walk and love the game. But I like caddies even less than carts, sorry but never had a good experience, especially those who double bag.

I typically agree w this completely. I've had so many rounds at great places that were negatively effected by a mandatory caddy. I could tell some stories. Most recently I had my caddy at a VERY high end club near Monterrey CA lose both my Pw and my 9i and it took maintenance a few days to locate. I ended up carrying my own bag for the last 3 holes (while he went back and searched) and then we took over an hour waking backwards on the course w the caddy looking for them after our round. Obviously we didn't find them. I was without both clubs for almost 3 weeks as they delayed shipping and then sent ground which took over a week to get back to me. Still had to pay this guy $160. Ridiculous. And that's not even close to the only story I have its just the last round I played w a caddy....

Conversely I had the same caddy every round for 4 years at my club and those were some of the most enjoyable rounds I've ever played. We got along great and he knew my game almost as well as I did. Too bad he had to go graduate high school and goto college!

A great caddy is a huge benefit but it's extremely rare imo to find at a resort or even playing unaccompanied at a high end club.

I'll be at Streamsong all day tomorrow and Tuesday and I'll be carrying my own bag.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Quite possibly. This was back in 2013 though so may of been different back then

It’s always been that way. All carts require 1 forecaddie per cart. I’m surprised the starter let you off without one of your own forecaddie. I been playing there since it open and it’s always been the same. $50 per person for the forecaddie and $100 for the caddie if he’s carrying. If you want to pay more by all means. I’ve played with forecaddies who took advantage and try to get us to pay more.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Which is why I’m so surprised. That’s even stated as part of their policy even from the very beginning.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Which is why I’m so surprised. That’s even stated as part of their policy even from the very beginning.

I could imagine a day, mid summer, where they didn’t have enough caddies on hand to staff carts and sent a foursome out with a single forecaddie. If he weren’t riding on my cart, I wouldn’t have felt compelled to pay him though...

We have stopped using caddy’s at Bandon. First time we went I used them for every round, 36 holes per day. Our first round we had literally the caddy from hell. I was going to pay him to leave. After that, I have had nothing but great experiences with them. Even with that, it was helpful to have their course knowledge the first time but because we were playing in March during cheap season and our second rounds were only 50% normal cost because they were re rounds, the caddy costs were getting close to what the green fee costs were.

The second time we went I only used them for the morning round and since then, I only use them if I am there for work and they are footing the bill.

For the expense, it is just not worth it for me.

It’s always been that way. All carts require 1 forecaddie per cart. I’m surprised the starter let you off without one of your own forecaddie. I been playing there since it open and it’s always been the same. $50 per person for the forecaddie and $100 for the caddie if he’s carrying. If you want to pay more by all means. I’ve played with forecaddies who took advantage and try to get us to pay more.

I would guess Streamsong made an exception to the rule being that your partners were course raters and not your typical customer.

I would say the forecaddie was yours and not theirs and that makes your experience even worse.

I would guess Streamsong made an exception to the rule being that your partners were course raters and not your typical customer.

I would say the forecaddie was yours and not theirs and that makes your experience even worse.

You’re making me feel worse about it now ?

Simply put, I don't think we should be paying more than 100-150 to use a caddie service. That is my confusion. To me Fee= Resort, Tip = Caddie. Tip has always been 100-150, but obviously math says that is now $250 which would be unreal.

The key is to ask the caddie master how much of the fee is going to the caddie, so you can calculate back a reasonable tip (based on a ~$100/round benchmark).

The challenge is that there are so many different models in play - the one that bothers me most is when you play at a place where caddie fees are included in greens fees, and it's really hard to figure out what the guy's getting paid.

Why would you care? If the caddie fees are included in the green fee, then what the caddie receives is between them and management.

I think the confusion is with the choice of words; fee and tip. They are not the same thing. If I'm being charged a fee for a service, I'm assuming that does not include the tip, which is what others have stated. Clubs should just have a spot on their website with the recommended tip, and if someone does a better job, then by all means feel free to give more. This situation, and why golf doesn't have a universal tee box color is a peeve of mine.

i was down there in December and everyone in my group seemed to give $120 per bag. keep in mind that most of the time they are double bagging (which i hate).

Couldn't agree more about double bagging. I played Streamsong Black a few weeks ago and had to share a caddie. The guy was running around and wasn't focused on either player. It wasn't his fault, but it still sucks paying full price and getting half the service. Everyone in my group requested their own caddie; instead, we got two for the group, but still paid the full rate ($125 or so per player).

So YOU got the short end of the deal, and I'm confident the caddie couldn't have cared less. Double bagging is the worse for the player.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

Just got done playing 36 today. First round was solo bag second was double. Same caddy. Not much degradation in service level. Fee structure was as advertised. Stated the rate when booking, in an email before arrival, and on a card when the caddy master handed me a feedback card before the first tee. It was all very straight forward and added to the experience. Getting a caddy again tomorrow for the blue course.