2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist Tour Soft

thomo85

Okay. This is going to be part one. Today I had a chance to go out to a golf course near me to chip and putt with all three balls (Titleist Tour Soft, 2018 Project (a) and the Srixon Q Star Tour). I chipped for about 45 minutes from variable distances - 3 feet off the green to 15 yards from the green. Then putted for about 15 minutes. So here are my UNSCIENTIFIC results.

Chipping - The Tour Soft is definitely softer than the other two. Second softest is the Project A. Least soft was the Q Star Tour. I expected that, and I confirmed it. All three had about the same spin. I had no machine to measure spin, but from my observation all three balls reacted very similarly. They all spin - even the two piece surlyn covered Tour Soft reacted the same as the other two balls from all distances. I could not see any difference. I will say that the Tour Soft comes up at a little bit of a higher angle than the other two.

Putting - hands down the Titleist Tour Soft feels the best. The Project A is slightly firmer. The Q Star Tour was noticeably clickier than the other two balls. All three putt nicely. But if I had to pick just based on putting, I'd pick the Titleist.

As of today, the Q Star Tour will not be my gamer. I'll keep the dozen just in case, but I will not make it my primary ball. It's going to be between the Taylormade and the Titleist. Now before everyone starts attacking me that the Q Star Tour is a 3 piece urethane ball with better value than the over priced Titleist ball, let me say this...I KNOW. Duh!!!!! I'm just talking about how for me, the feel isn't as good as the other two balls, yet they play the same around the green.

What will my next test be? I plan to play the project A and Tour Soft on the course so I can see distance and overall performance. As of today, I don't see any difference in performance between these two balls. The only difference is feel and a little higher trajectory for the Tour Soft.

I'll be honest. I was hoping that the project a would be a clear winner. After all how can a two piece surlyn ball compete with a three piece urethane ball right? Well, from my limited testing they play equal for me. I did play the Tour Soft on the course two weeks ago and I loved it. But I will make a final decision once I play both out on the course. For now...Good-bye Q Star Tour. I'm sure it's a great ball, but the other two feel better for me.

Interesting, maybe the 2 piece ball haters will get schooled on this one and it actually has some value at 35.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. This is going to be part one. Today I had a chance to go out to a golf course near me to chip and putt with all three balls (Titleist Tour Soft, 2018 Project (a) and the Srixon Q Star Tour). I chipped for about 45 minutes from variable distances - 3 feet off the green to 15 yards from the green. Then putted for about 15 minutes. So here are my UNSCIENTIFIC results.

Chipping - The Tour Soft is definitely softer than the other two. Second softest is the Project A. Least soft was the Q Star Tour. I expected that, and I confirmed it. All three had about the same spin. I had no machine to measure spin, but from my observation all three balls reacted very similarly. They all spin - even the two piece surlyn covered Tour Soft reacted the same as the other two balls from all distances. I could not see any difference. I will say that the Tour Soft comes up at a little bit of a higher angle than the other two.

Putting - hands down the Titleist Tour Soft feels the best. The Project A is slightly firmer. The Q Star Tour was noticeably clickier than the other two balls. All three putt nicely. But if I had to pick just based on putting, I'd pick the Titleist.

As of today, the Q Star Tour will not be my gamer. I'll keep the dozen just in case, but I will not make it my primary ball. It's going to be between the Taylormade and the Titleist. Now before everyone starts attacking me that the Q Star Tour is a 3 piece urethane ball with better value than the over priced Titleist ball, let me say this...I KNOW. Duh!!!!! I'm just talking about how for me, the feel isn't as good as the other two balls, yet they play the same around the green.

What will my next test be? I plan to play the project A and Tour Soft on the course so I can see distance and overall performance. As of today, I don't see any difference in performance between these two balls. The only difference is feel and a little higher trajectory for the Tour Soft.

I'll be honest. I was hoping that the project a would be a clear winner. After all how can a two piece surlyn ball compete with a three piece urethane ball right? Well, from my limited testing they play equal for me. I did play the Tour Soft on the course two weeks ago and I loved it. But I will make a final decision once I play both out on the course. For now...Good-bye Q Star Tour. I'm sure it's a great ball, but the other two feel better for me.

Interesting, maybe the 2 piece ball haters will get schooled on this one and it actually has some value at 35.

Yeah because he liked the “feel” on the putter they must be great v

I never said this was an amazing ball because it felt good with the putter. I compared three balls side by side which for me performed equally. All had nice spin around the greens. I would gladly play any of them. I never said you should buy this ball because it feels good. I only stated my personal preference for the softer ball. I’ve always said that people have different preferences. It’s all good.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

This is a good read and a great review that confirms what I’ve experienced with this ball so far.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1595146-my-titleist-tour-soft-vs-chrome-soft-review/

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue

Having been testing the new Velocity, i have to say i'm struggling to see what Titleist are doing, the new velocity seems to have less distance than previous models, and feels quite a bit softer, so basically now titleist have the tour soft, velocity and trusoft all in the same market. I played it against the summer gamer (Pro V1) and the TP5 and for a 'distance' ball it was 5-10 yards behind them off the tee and about the same distance for iron shots, with no real spin benefit i can see the trusoft having a good year for buyers!

Having been testing the new Velocity, i have to say i'm struggling to see what Titleist are doing, the new velocity seems to have less distance than previous models, and feels quite a bit softer, so basically now titleist have the tour soft, velocity and trusoft all in the same market. I played it against the summer gamer (Pro V1) and the TP5 and for a 'distance' ball it was 5-10 yards behind them off the tee and about the same distance for iron shots, with no real spin benefit i can see the trusoft having a good year for buyers!
they make 3 balls because they know some won’t pay more than $25 , other more than $30 and then add those that won’t pay ProV1 but are ok paying $35 for 2 pc all. I gotta believe the profit margins are highest in the TourSoft.

I would love to have 20 caps play all 3 debadged and see if they could really see any difference.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

they make 3 balls because they know some won’t pay more than $25 , other more than $30 and then add those that won’t pay ProV1 but are ok paying $35 for 2 pc all. I gotta believe the profit margins are highest in the TourSoft.

I would love to have 20 caps play all 3 debadged and see if they could really see any difference.

Everything they make and everything they do in informal testing, is that the balls all average within 4 yards of each other distance wise. The true determinate is spin and feel.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Former sceptic here... go try the tour soft for yourself. I have a hard time thinking that you won't come away impressed with the ball. Dang good ball, imo.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Former sceptic here... go try the tour soft for yourself. I have a hard time thinking that you won't come away impressed with the ball. Dang good ball, imo.

Does it feel like a Supersoft or a Mid compression soft ball like e6 soft or gamersoft or firmer than that?

Also, same question on spin - like a Gamersoft (some spin) or like a urethane ball type of spin?

Interesting review off of Amazon. "Played for the lst time in 40 degree windy weather. These balls feel soft and go long. Not quite as sticky on the green as the new Bridgestone B-RX but for the better price I will seriously consider switching. Callaway Chrome, TaylorMade 5 layer, etal don't even come close."

So, it may not be an expensive two piece ball. It might be a "better price" alternative to more premium balls.

Does it feel like a Supersoft or a Mid compression soft ball like e6 soft or gamersoft or firmer than that?

Also, same question on spin - like a Gamersoft (some spin) or like a urethane ball type of spin?

Feels exactly like a chrome soft or similar Bridgestone (What ever that is now...).

Dt trusoft feels more like e series or supersoft.

Spin is similar to a urethane ball.

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Feels exactly like a chrome soft or similar Bridgestone (What ever that is now...).

Dt trusoft feels more like e series or supersoft.

Spin is similar to a urethane ball.

Thx. bogeypro, it sounds pretty impressive.

Probably won't try playing one for a while but my previous concern about putting with them is probably changing.

Thanks for the reviews gentlemen.

Might have to reconsider. When I first putted with them a few weeks ago they came off the putter so softly (then again it was an Odyssey micro-hinge) that I came close, multiple times, to double-hitting it.

Putted with them again (in store) yesterday and they felt firmer off of the TM Tour Spider inserts. Tried the Odyssey again and they all came off OK with one of them uber softly. Possibly the Odyssey insert and the Tour Soft don't go together well ?

I'll probably give 'em a try when my current stash of CS is done.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

I will likely try it just for the hell of it. I do like a soft feeling ball.

I like ProV1 as my go to ball, my low cost ball is the Wilson Duo. The Duo is a very soft ball and feels great off the putter. Even at my level though, I can tell the difference on chips and pitches; it just doesn't quite have the control that a ProV1 does. Everything else it does pretty well, again at my level of play.

Like some others, I have never had much use for the NXT, or for any $35 ball for that matter. I use ProV1s and if I want something cheaper I want really cheaper like the 20-25 price point. Also for $30, I can get ProV1 practice for casual rounds.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Yesterday, in a cold and breezy NW England, I played the Toursoft for a few holes and the new Velocity for a few holes. I really can't claim to be a first line golf ball reviewer however I found the Toursoft to be long, straight, good trajectory and great feel - Lovely round the green and off the putter face. It could well get an extended test.

The new Velocity is a strange animal. It felt fantastic for me off the putter, and flew high off very club....very high. I think its definitely worth a look, particularly as its a higher price point than the trusoft, not bullet level as previously. That high flight may well benefit low spin iron users needing green holding, or people who can't get the ball up. Has to be seen to be believed, scrounge one off the pro..

Is anyone going to actually try this ball? There's a lot of back and forth in this thread, but I couldn't find a single user review yet

Used it. Was not overly impressed. Performed a lot like an E6 soft with a little more compression. My normal 9 and 8 iron is a hop and stop. With the tour soft i got varying amounts of role out. Playable around the green, but don't expect any significant check up on short chips. I could get a little check up on longer flop style shots with a severely open face. Distance was 1/2 club longer than my previous gamer, but that was due to role out....not carry.

Edit to say that when I used the Tour Soft it was under very firm conditions, which is the norm here.

Is anyone going to actually try this ball? There's a lot of back and forth in this thread, but I couldn't find a single user review yet

Used it. Was not overly impressed. Performed a lot like an E6 soft with a little more compression. My normal 9 and 8 iron is a hop and stop. With the tour soft i got varying amounts of role out. Playable around the green, but don't expect any significant check up on short chips. I could get a little check up on longer flop style shots with a severely open face. Distance was 1/2 club longer than my previous gamer, but that was due to role out....not carry.

That sounds exactly like a review I could have written when I last played the DT Solo. Your basic, fairly tame around the greens low compression Surlyn ball. Give up some stropping power but get some extra distance with the resulting rollout. A lot of people seem to like that trade off.

That sounds exactly like a review I could have written when I last played the DT Solo. Your basic, fairly tame around the greens low compression Surlyn ball. Give up some stropping power but get some extra distance with the resulting rollout. A lot of people seem to like that trade off.

I dont agree. I play the TruSoft which effectively the SoLo, and to me, that ball is TOO soft (spin and distance fine though -- it's my go to 50 degree ball). I found the TourSoft to be more like the B300 RX in spin and distance and stopping power, but with a softer feel than the B330, and because of that for me, it also putts better. For this 99-103MPH hitter, I found the ball to be quite impressive and will give the B330RX a run for it's money for a place in my bag!

Are you sure you tried the tour soft? That doesn’t seem to jive with what I and several others are seeing.

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Are you sure you tried the tour soft? That doesn’t seem to jive with what I and several others are seeing.

Yes, it was the new Tour Soft. Very firm conditions, but normal for where I play. Not saying it is a bad ball by any means. Just that it did not stand out around the greens. It was longer off my driver, but I need more than that from a ball now days.

I have a hard time thinking a WRXer will take his wallet, open it, take credit card out and pay $34.99. Over at least half a dozen premium balls of similar price and over at least a dozen similar balls way cheaper.

That makes me thing that Titleist have a lot of shilling here. That is why I have pushed for Golfwrx to have a policy of disclosure for the members that are commercially tied to Titleist or any other company.

I would be very proud of having in my signature something like: Sponsored by Titleist.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Finally grabbed a sleeve of these today and tried them. I came away very unimpressed. I told my playing partners I have always felt Titleist truly makes the best premium ball in the ProV1 but their other balls can't come close to what other companies put out at comparable or lower prices. That was the case here. This ball does nothing truly well and is just soft. Its a weird soft too. It feels soft but doesn't sound soft so it confuses you. I played it against my 17 CSX hitting 2 off almost every tee and into greens and that ball beat it in every category. I only played 9 holes this way and gave the other 2 away to friends for them to try.

Yes, it was the new Tour Soft. Very firm conditions, but normal for where I play. Not saying it is a bad ball by any means. Just that it did not stand out around the greens. It was longer off my driver, but I need more than that from a ball now days.

It can hardly be anything else. It’s a 2pc Surlyn ball, the cheapest and most basic construction there is and while it may be a very GOOD 2pc Surlyn ball it does not have a Urethane cover.

I know there are millions of golfers playing on cours s or in conditions where 2pc Surlyn balls will hold greens on approach shots and remain controllable on tricky chips and pitch shots. Sounds like Tour Soft is an excellent ball for them.

Those of us playing in firm conditions and/or challenging greens know there is no such thing as urethane performance from a Surlyn ball, no matter what Titleist would like you to believe.

I have a hard time thinking a WRXer will take his wallet, open it, take credit card out and pay $34.99. Over at least half a dozen premium balls of similar price and over at least a dozen similar balls way cheaper.

That makes me thing that Titleist have a lot of shilling here. That is why I have pushed for Golfwrx to have a policy of disclosure for the members that are commercially tied to Titleist or any other company.

I would be very proud of having in my signature something like: Sponsored by Titleist.

If friend jesusdelallata for instance is getting paid by Titleist I’ll eat a sleeve of ProV1. That’s a preposterous thing to say.

Finally grabbed a sleeve of these today and tried them. I came away very unimpressed. I told my playing partners I have always felt Titleist truly makes the best premium ball in the ProV1 but their other balls can't come close to what other companies put out at comparable or lower prices. That was the case here. This ball does nothing truly well and is just soft. Its a weird soft too. It feels soft but doesn't sound soft so it confuses you. I played it against my 17 CSX hitting 2 off almost every tee and into greens and that ball beat it in every category. I only played 9 holes this way and gave the other 2 away to friends for them to try.

Everybody knows Titleist charged a higher price than anyone else for the same type of ball. As it is, was and ever shall be.

If friend jesusdelallata for instance is getting paid by Titleist I’ll eat a sleeve of ProV1. That’s a preposterous thing to say.

I love the ball and I wish I was paid by Titleist. However, in all fairness and to make a full comparison I bought a dozen Srixon QStar Tours, a dozen +1 sleeve of the 2018 Project A, and four dozen 2017 Chrome Softs at clearance prices at Golf Galaxy. I will try out all balls next weekend. Since I already love the chrome Soft I’ll probably stock up because of course it’s an amazing bargain for a better ball.

Now all that being said...I am impressed with the Titleist Tour Soft. The sales staff at my local Golf Galaxy said the Tour Soft is selling a lot. Maybe the courses in Houston have softer greens than those you are playing that are too firm.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue

If friend jesusdelallata for instance is getting paid by Titleist I'll eat a sleeve of ProV1. That's a preposterous thing to say.

I love the ball and I wish I was paid by Titleist. However, in all fairness and to make a full comparison I bought a dozen Srixon QStar Tours, a dozen +1 sleeve of the 2018 Project A, and four dozen 2017 Chrome Softs at clearance prices at Golf Galaxy. I will try out all balls next weekend. Since I already love the chrome Soft I'll probably stock up because of course it's an amazing bargain for a better ball.

Now all that being said...I am impressed with the Titleist Tour Soft. The sales staff at my local Golf Galaxy said the Tour Soft is selling a lot. Maybe the courses in Houston have softer greens than those you are playing that are too firm.

Likewise, I ain't no schill -- I have a closet full of B330RX 2016 models. How about accepting that it's just a good ball? I HATED 2016-17 NXT Tour and Tour S. Kudos to Titleist, they did a nice job on this ball, and now they are the ones at 34.99, whilst the RX and CS are at and above 40$. So what about the cover, think people obsess on that. For me it spins about as much as the RX, but putts/feels way better.

I got it! I forgot about the fanboys but they get on the same page as conspiracy theorists or flat earthers. Nothing will be enough to show the truth. But I know these fanboys are already having a hard time accepting that Jordan is not #1 anymore and even Justin has surpassed him

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Loyal Tour B RX user, but may try a sleeve of the Tour Soft. Skeptical given two piece construction and surlyn cover but will be open minded. BTW the Tour B RX and Tour Soft are the same price on Amazon prime...$35.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux