Titleist Tour Soft

thomo85

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just dont get all the hype for this ball, there wasnt the hype for NXT Tour??

The hype is coming from the marketing declaring a 2 piece ball to be better than the TP5 and Chrome Soft....

Which if it truly were, then why would anyone need to pay $48 per dozen for ProV1?

Presumably because they like the ProV1.

P.S. And I never saw the ad referencing Tour Soft vs. TP5. The one I saw just said Tour Soft vs. Chrome Soft.

The hype is coming from the marketing declaring a 2 piece ball to be better than the TP5 and Chrome Soft....

Which if it truly were, then why would anyone need to pay $48 per dozen for ProV1?

P.S. And I never saw the ad referencing Tour Soft vs. TP5. The one I saw just said Tour Soft vs. Chrome Soft.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wxP7/titleist-tour-soft-this-is-your-soft

Ad compares Tour Soft with Chrome Soft, TP5 and Bstone RXS

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

https://www.ispot.tv...is-is-your-soft

I took the ad as they are saying the feel/distance of the ball is better than the rest but I can definitely see why it's misleading. They explicitly show the graph's in the background as feel/distance.

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

$35 for a surlyn Ball? Yeesh

Its not Surlyn tho :)

I don't see Surlyn on the website. ???

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

Ionomer is a variant of Surlyn.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

I must need glasses because I don't find Ionomer on their website. ???

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

https://www.ispot.tv...is-is-your-soft

I took the ad as they are saying the feel/distance of the ball is better than the rest but I can definitely see why it's misleading. They explicitly show the graph's in the background as feel/distance.

Yeah showing graphs of feel and distance to say feel and distance are better, how dare they!

I must need glasses because I don't find Ionomer on their website. ???

They tried to disguise that fact instead using technical language. Google Tour Soft Surlyn and you will find it

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

4CE

Pretty good marketing approach.

Compare to Tour balls, never mention ionomer/surlyn, and never mention number of layers.

All the casual golfers will be bragging to their friends "have you tried the new Titleist Tour ball? It's pretty long".

Just like how the casual golfer remembers that one drive out of five they hit 275 with the latest driver and say that the new driver is awesome, they will remember the long drives with this 2 pc ball or the wedge shot from the perfect lie to an uphill green that spun back 2 feet.

Casual golfers won't remember the hard bounces they get 7xs out of 10 or that the backspin happened in soft spring conditions.

That is who will fuel sales of this ball, casual golfers.

Congratulations to the marketing team of Titleist.

4CE

Compare to Tour balls, never mention ionomer/surlyn, and never mention number of layers.

All the casual golfers will be bragging to their friends "have you tried the new Titleist Tour ball? It's pretty long".

Just like how the casual golfer remembers that one drive out of five they hit 275 with the latest driver and say that the new driver is awesome, they will remember the long drives with this 2 pc ball or the wedge shot from the perfect lie to an uphill green that spun back 2 feet.

Casual golfers won't remember the hard bounces they get 7xs out of 10 or that the backspin happened in soft spring conditions.

Ok, so, TS is overpriced. Now, this has become a crime? But, it's ok for Callaway and TM to charge $44.00 for 12 balls?

4CE

Ok, so, TS is overpriced. Now, this has become a crime? But, it's ok for Callaway and TM to charge $44.00 for 12 balls?

Yes, no, and yes.

It is priced higher compared to balls with similar construction. Overpricing is always an opinion.

Yes Callaway and TM can choose to charge whatever they want, just like what the Tour Soft is doing.

It is for the consumer to decide if there is a material (urethane vs ionomer) difference to warrant the higher price.

Callaway is doing it now with the price increase in the Chrome Soft with the addition of graphene.

They will lose the value conscious player and gain those who think the graphene is worth the extra money.

Callaway is hoping in the end they still make money with the CS'18 and a bigger dent into Titleist no1 position. They are trying to increase profits making a "better ball" at a higher price.

Titleist is doing the opposite. They are increasing profits by making a "cheaper" (to make) ball and pricing it high.

Great job for the marketing team.

Talked to some Titleist reps this today at an Edward Dunn shop in San Diego. They were pitching the Pro V1 and this ball to me.

As soon as they said it's not urethane covered, I was pretty turned off but, the rep hooked me up with a few sample sleeves (1 is the normal. I guess 3 is a hook up?) and he told me he is a believer. If he had to play a 2 piece, it would be this.

I'll give them a try. I'm still not convinced in Titleist stuff. Never have been.

Anyone compared the AVX to the Tour Soft?

The AVX is probably more comparable to the Chrome Soft with both having relatively low compression and a urethane cover. The Tour soft is just a rebranded NXT.

If it were JUST a rebranded NXT, I would not be playing it. To me, similar to the B300RX that I play, but putts IMO much better and softer!

4CE

BINGO -- To me, everyone gets hung-up on urethane=right to charge more. As I noted, I think that Bridgestone is now ridiculous at $45 for the B330 RX (yes the old are $29), when as noted, the Trusoft plays as good for me, and putts better and is $10 cheaper. I think urethane is a bit over rated, as I see nearly the same spin from the Toursoft as I do on the B330 RX.

Finally got to try a Tour Soft. First hole. Massive drive and gripped almost too well on the approach. Second hole. Felt too soft off a full 7 iron and jumpy on longer putts. Third hole into a strong, cold breeze. Nailed it...until ball started to balloon. Same with second shot. Flew too high and lost a lot of distance into the breeze. Pars on next two holes then sixth was across the breeze. Another very solid drive but distance nothing special. Knockdown wedge went much too far and moved a lot more on the breeze than other balls I use. Swapped it for a 2016 Project (a) and that was must better to control into and across the breeze.

Not sure what the TS is trying to do. For distance go for the Velocity and for trajectory control it has to be the V1.

Hated the Project A. Went no where compared to my gamer B330RX. Anyone try and compare the 2018 ProjectA to the TTS?

4CE

BINGO -- To me, everyone gets hung-up on urethane=right to charge more. As I noted, I think that Bridgestone is now ridiculous at $45 for the B330 RX (yes the old are $29), when as noted, the Trusoft plays as good for me, and putts better and is $10 cheaper. I think urethane is a bit over rated, as I see nearly the same spin from the Toursoft as I do on the B330 RX.
all new Bridgestone are 2 for $70 right now.

As far as Urethane being overrated ? Not really .

But if you are ok playing a non urethane ball, the Vice Tour and Gamer Soft are both balls to consider. On Thursday the Gamer Softs are BOGO coming out to $7.50 a dozen. So 4 dozen Gamer Soft is Cheaper that 1 dz Tour Soft. Performance very similar.

Only problem people get hung up on the name .

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

4CE

all new Bridgestone are 2 for $70 right now.

As far as Urethane being overrated ? Not really .

But if you are ok playing a non urethane ball, the Vice Tour and Gamer Soft are both balls to consider. On Thursday the Gamer Softs are BOGO coming out to $7.50 a dozen. So 4 dozen Gamer Soft is Cheaper that 1 dz Tour Soft. Performance very similar.

Only problem people get hung up on the name .

Agree, I tried the Gamer did not like it. Will try the Gamer Tour. And yes I will be the first to admit that I am brand conscience, but not so much that my ego will not let me try something new.

Right, I finally managed to get hold of a tour soft to try it. Please bear in mind this is MY experience and you may see other results.

I’m a 12 handicapper and I hit the ball about 260 off the tee with a 7 iron about 157 carry, so I’m a short hitter compared to the majority on here. No idea on my swing speed and spin numbers as I haven’t been fit for over two years now. I normally play the chrome soft.

In terms of spin, I had no issue getting the tour soft to stop when hitting into greens but it was usually a hop and stop. The spin control on chipping wasn’t consistent for me, sometimes it would grip, other times it would run that bit further than I was used to. I can also say it felt very nice and seemed to be a reasonably straight ball from the tee.

I found one huge problem with it for ME, again others may not have this issue. I was always short of where I’d normally be. Tee shots were ten to fifteen yards short of the chrome soft I played alongside it. The chrome soft also stopped quicker on iron shots and even gave me a foot of backspin (I can’t spin a ball off the green like many).

All in all it’s a good ball that will suit some people, but for me the chrome soft is a better ball as it’s longer, just as straight and has more consistent spin around the greens. The tour soft reminded me of the ad333 tour (q star tour I think it’s called in America). I’d recommend people to try it having played it, but it just isn’t for me.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

• 3 weeks later...

If I am happy with the NXT Tour S, is the Tour Soft for me? Seems weird that they're replacing both models with one ball.

I used the NXT Tour S mostly for the feel putting and partially for the color yellow. Admittedly the progression was cheapo TopFlite balls to the NXT and that's it so I don't know any better. All this spin stuff goes over my head because I'm just trying to hit greens. (I assume spin means backspin to stop closer to where it lands, but feel like it would just make my frequent mishits drift offline?)

Titleist TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

If I am happy with the NXT Tour S, is the Tour Soft for me? Seems weird that they're replacing both models with one ball.

I used the NXT Tour S mostly for the feel putting and partially for the color yellow. Admittedly the progression was cheapo TopFlite balls to the NXT and that's it so I don't know any better. All this spin stuff goes over my head because I'm just trying to hit greens. (I assume spin means backspin to stop closer to where it lands, but feel like it would just make my frequent mishits drift offline?)

The urethane coated balls: Chromesoft, Bridgestone B line, Prov1 and cheaper online options: Snell, Vice, Cut blue & grey, MG are also urethane will help stop the ball on the green. Some say, the extra spin will make it spin off line on the driver. I haven't seen that. I think the TopFlite line is decent. Gamersoft is a 3 piece ball for nice feel with some bite on the greens and they are cheap when you get them on BOGO or online at DSG's web site at 15.00. Back on topic, I bought a sleeve of the T toursoft and look forward to trying them out.

I get that it's overpriced for what it is...every ounce of my being doesn't want to play this ball on principle alone. But I've recently been trying different balls (was mainly TP5), and have played Project A, Project S, Chrome Soft, RX, RXS, and Tour Soft...and whether it's the ball or not, I've played well better with the Tour Soft than anything else...by far. Longest off the tee, best GIR, and best putting. Maybe in my head...I don't have a flight scope to measure spin or anything like that...but much to my chagrin, I guess I'm a Tour Soft player now.