Titleist Tour Soft

thomo85

I get that it's overpriced for what it is...every ounce of my being doesn't want to play this ball on principle alone. But I've recently been trying different balls (was mainly TP5), and have played Project A, Project S, Chrome Soft, RX, RXS, and Tour Soft...and whether it's the ball or not, I've played well better with the Tour Soft than anything else...by far. Longest off the tee, best GIR, and best putting. Maybe in my head...I don't have a flight scope to measure spin or anything like that...but much to my chagrin, I guess I'm a Tour Soft player now.

I’ve spoken great things about this ball. And I was attacked. That no way a 2 piece surly ball can perform. Well, it does for me. My gamer now is the 2018 Chrome Soft, but the titleist is now my secondary ball because I have 3 dozen and because they perform quite well.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today’s 2-piece Surlyn balls certainly do perform. They are far better than anything on the market 20 years ago

They just don’t perform as well in terms of spin and control as today’s Urethane balls.

I get that it's overpriced for what it is...every ounce of my being doesn't want to play this ball on principle alone. But I've recently been trying different balls (was mainly TP5), and have played Project A, Project S, Chrome Soft, RX, RXS, and Tour Soft...and whether it's the ball or not, I've played well better with the Tour Soft than anything else...by far. Longest off the tee, best GIR, and best putting. Maybe in my head...I don't have a flight scope to measure spin or anything like that...but much to my chagrin, I guess I'm a Tour Soft player now.

Sounds like me with my beloved AVX. The darned things are so expensive I cringe when I think about it and they are definitely lacking in short game stopping power compared to higher performing Tour-type balls.

But I play better with the AVX than any other ball. For a while I tried switching to something cheaper for a few rounds and when I went back to the AVX last weekend it was like, “Why fight it, the darned ball is just that good (for me)”.

Today’s 2-piece Surlyn balls certainly do perform. They are far better than anything on the market 20 years ago

They just don’t perform as well in terms of spin and control as today’s Urethane balls.

Sounds like me with my beloved AVX. The darned things are so expensive I cringe when I think about it and they are definitely lacking in short game stopping power compared to higher performing Tour-type balls.

But I play better with the AVX than any other ball. For a while I tried switching to something cheaper for a few rounds and when I went back to the AVX last weekend it was like, “Why fight it, the darned ball is just that good (for me)”.

As much as I keep trying to switch from the AVX, I can't. The TS is a great ball that fits a lot of needs, but the thing that stops me from switching to it is that it spins more off the tee and not enough around the greens. The AVX just flies straighter. When they go into wide release I'll restock. The ball just plain works.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I played about 4 holes last week with an AVX just to give them a try. I agree with you. Why do I always fall in love with the most expensive stuff? Good by Srixon QStar Tour.

Driver:  TM iQ10 10.5*

3 Wood: TM Stealth2 16.5*;  7 Wood: TM Stealth2 21*

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4 - P

SW:  Titleist SM9 F 50* and S 56*

Putter:  TM Spider TourZ

Definitely in your head but there is definitely nothing wrong with that, that’s half the battle lol. Good chance the confidence you have with the ball will over rule any performance differences except for green side spin but if you don’t play on firm/fast greens there won’t be much o a difference anyhow.

I've been testing in the WRX testing thread and it's an okay ball. It's just unremarkable, really, and there are better balls for much cheaper.

They hold greens off irons just fine, they're long and straight off the driver, and they feel fine off all clubs along with the putter. If you expect your chips, pitches, and flighted wedge shots to put on the brakes, look elsewhere. If you play chip-and-run shots and don't mind paying $35 a dozen for a mid-tier ball, knock yourself out. Personally, I find that price point unacceptable for what you get.

Well, if they were all that then I could live with $35. But it seemed they did exactly the same thing as something cheaper so then they are a no go. I got a 2 ball sleeve for 2 bucks simply to try.

That said, they seemed more harsh off the driver and irons to me. Could be all on my head but will use them more the next time I go out and play.

I've been testing in the WRX testing thread and it's an okay ball. It's just unremarkable, really, and there are better balls for much cheaper.

They hold greens off irons just fine, they're long and straight off the driver, and they feel fine off all clubs along with the putter. If you expect your chips, pitches, and flighted wedge shots to put on the brakes, look elsewhere. If you play chip-and-run shots and don't mind paying $35 a dozen for a mid-tier ball, knock yourself out. Personally, I find that price point unacceptable for what you get.

Walmart sells them for 31. But, I get your point.

I think I've just been spoiled by the Ksigs. When you're paying $17 a dozen for top performing urethane balls, and I've got 8 dozen in my closet, anything else feels like extortion!

I think I've just been spoiled by the Ksigs. When you're paying $17 a dozen for top performing urethane balls, and I've got 8 dozen in my closet, anything else feels like extortion!

tiddlywinksnew_large.png?v=1492083076

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I never considered buying new Titleist balls, I always found them to be too expensive. I have tried some of them, but never really liked one enough. But my dad keeps giving me a box of Titleists every birthday, this year he came up with the Tour Soft, so I gave it a try. I normally play the Srixon AD333, so here's the verdict on the Tour Soft:

Long game: Love it! It doesn't curve too much, spin on the woods is just right for me. Mid trajectory that holds the line very well, and it goes looong. Feel off the clubface is good, little softer than the Srixon, exactly the way I like it. Short irons hold the green well, they sure don't bite like balatas, but good enough for me. Trajectory control is good with these. Punches stay low but bite reasonably well.

Short game: Love it! I hit a bunch of short and medium pitches that I could control really well. They bite on landing, then roll a little. They are better than the Srixon in this department. On chips it fells crisp and has just the right amoount of stopping power for me. Distance control was a snap!

Putting: Love it! Not too clicky, not too soft. Rolls true, distance control was easy. It doesn't come off hot, I have a good sense of control with it.

Overall: Yes it's a little pricey for a two-piece. But for me it performs extremely well, I haven't had a golf ball I like in every department of my game for a long time. These outperform my Srixons (played these for two years, so I know how they react). Played 18 with it and it still looks like new. I could absolutely see myself playing this ball on a regular basis.

I never considered buying new Titleist balls, I always found them to be too expensive. I have tried some of them, but never really liked one enough. But my dad keeps giving me a box of Titleists every birthday, this year he came up with the Tour Soft, so I gave it a try. I normally play the Srixon AD333, so here's the verdict on the Tour Soft:

Long game: Love it! It doesn't curve too much, spin on the woods is just right for me. Mid trajectory that holds the line very well, and it goes looong. Feel off the clubface is good, little softer than the Srixon, exactly the way I like it. Short irons hold the green well, they sure don't bite like balatas, but good enough for me. Trajectory control is good with these. Punches stay low but bite reasonably well.

Short game: Love it! I hit a bunch of short and medium pitches that I could control really well. They bite on landing, then roll a little. They are better than the Srixon in this department. On chips it fells crisp and has just the right amoount of stopping power for me. Distance control was a snap!

Putting: Love it! Not too clicky, not too soft. Rolls true, distance control was easy. It doesn't come off hot, I have a good sense of control with it.

Overall: Yes it's a little pricey for a two-piece. But for me it performs extremely well, I haven't had a golf ball I like in every department of my game for a long time. These outperform my Srixons (played these for two years, so I know how they react). Played 18 with it and it still looks like new. I could absolutely see myself playing this ball on a regular basis.

can you be specific on what Srixon you played for 2 years ?

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

In post you quoted

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

In post you quoted

ah I see it now. I guess I forgot by the end of the review.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Bought a box of these a few weeks ago to try out, and in the spring conditions here I was impressed really like the flight in windy conditions, o the green it was ok, but with spring conditions the greens are soft, have to see what happens when the greens firm up.... I still have a stockpile of truvis that will hold me for most of the season, haven't tried the 2018 ones yet...

While I appreciated the opportunity (and hope to review equipment again) if you checked out the review thread for the Titleist Tour Soft I have 3 sleeves unused and untouched I would be happy to send to someone if you want to cover shipping.

Otherwise, I am just going to use them as practice balls.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

While I appreciated the opportunity (and hope to review equipment again) if you checked out the review thread for the Titleist Tour Soft I have 3 sleeves unused and untouched I would be happy to send to someone if you want to cover shipping.

Otherwise, I am just going to use them as practice balls.

Good on you from giving others the chance to try this ball out. It seems from the official thread that you're not alone in not being 100% thrilled with this ball, and that's OK. I'd much rather read real opinions than glowing reviews just because the reviewer thinks that's what people want to hear since they got the product for free.

I will be happy to take them off your hands.

I am going to send you and NSX a sleeve. I think I have an extra one lying around so I can send each of you a sleeve +2. Direct message me and I'll let you know the shipping cost.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

They say that it’s a completely new ball from the NXT but let’s admit that it’s pretty much the same.

It probably takes some pretty clever engineers to be able to tell them, "Change every single thing about the design of this ball but make sure it performs exactly like the NXT did".

They say that it’s a completely new ball from the NXT but let’s admit that it’s pretty much the same.

It probably takes some pretty clever engineers to be able to tell them, "Change every single thing about the design of this ball but make sure it performs exactly like the NXT did".

When they've stuck to ProV1(x) through HOW MANY versions ?

So I guess your thought process is "The NXT's not selling but if we call it Tour Soft" it will ? Interesting. :swoon:

I actually found a Tour Soft and tried it for a few holes the other day (I'd been chipping and putting with it previously and, not surprisingly, found it a bit "livelier" than my CS and ProV1).

Before I lost the ball (in a somewhat peculiar way) I hit a few surprisingly long drives both with, and into, the wind. It wasn't a particularly good ball striking day but I hit a couple of nice iron shots into a couple of greens that landed and stopped fairly quickly - not right next to the ball mark, as I usually look for, but it only released a few feet (and that I can live with).

I'll probably get a sleeve and try them out a bit more on the course.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Serious question, do you really think it is a rebadged NXT or an actual new ball ? I ask because I haven't bought NXTs in years so by just hitting a TS I wouldn't know. I did get a 2 ball sleeve of the TS to try and what little I used it on the course and the performance I personally got out of it, so far its not worth buying a full dozen for me anyway.