Titleist Tour Soft

thomo85

There is very little clubhead speed on shots around the green and that is where a urethane ball shines versus surlyn.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lately I’ve been testing out several balls. Chrome soft, project a, tp5 and tour soft. all good balls. So far my favorite seems to be the Project a. When I factor in feel, construction, distance, spin and price...it’s awesome.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

Lately I've been testing out several balls. Chrome soft, project a, tp5 and tour soft. all good balls. So far my favorite seems to be the Project a. When I factor in feel, construction, distance, spin and price...it's awesome.

Have you tried the Srixon Q Star Tour? For me I find it and the Project A to be the best "value" tour style balls.

Lately I've been testing out several balls. Chrome soft, project a, tp5 and tour soft. all good balls. So far my favorite seems to be the Project a. When I factor in feel, construction, distance, spin and price...it's awesome.

Have you tried the Srixon Q Star Tour? For me I find it and the Project A to be the best "value" tour style balls.

Yes I have. I like the project A better.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

Titleist fanboys have so little space in a hardcore golf forum. Very hard to sell to connoisseurs a ball with lesser performance at similar price than urethane. Same with the drivers.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Played the Tour Soft on Sunday in 45-50* temps. Started with the TruSoft and hated it. The Tour Soft felt soft, but not mushy, was very straight all day, putted well and was solid for chipping. HArd to tell the quality of spin when chipping on the first time out and not striking it cleanly for the most part. On full iron shot s and even a 23* hybrid into greens, The ball never finished more than six inches from it's pitch mark and the greens were decent, not mushy or spongy.

All in all, I give it a solid A-/B+. I want to get a decent round in, in good weather, but this could be the first time I plan to play a Titleist in at least 20 years. Just waiting for their 4 for 3 deal.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

Titleist fanboys have so little space in a hardcore golf forum. Very hard to sell to connoisseurs a ball with lesser performance at similar price than urethane. Same with the drivers.

Not a fan boy, just a connoisseur of a soft yellow ball, lol. It has a great yellow color and feels decent. Can't wait to take it to the course.

Nope that is not it at all. Just look at his signature, he is not here to provide real insight on how any ball plays, etc. Go back and read his various comments they offer no value whatsoever, just Titleist shill remarks.

I rarely play Titleist balls, I still have like 30 dozen RZN platinums I horded at the end

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

I played the Tour Soft this weekend and was very impressed how it played. It came off the woods and irons with a nice feel and putted very nicely. I haven’t used a Titleist since the first generation of the DT Solo. I want to use it on a dry track and see how it plays.

LEFT HANDED
Driver:  TaylorMade SIM 2 9 degree adjusted to 10.5
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM 2 16.5 degree 
Hybrid:  TaylorMade M4 19 degree
Irons:  Cobra Forged Tec X 5-GW/Wedge: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 54 degree
Putter: Work in Progress
Ball: TaylorMade TP5 yellow

I bought a sleeve of these and played them for 9. In no way, shape, or form did they perform even remotely close to even low spin urethane balls.

Actually this was a very early season game for us so the extra run out helped me on several holes with the slower greens. But make no mistake, this ball performed the same for me as a Q Star, and should be regarded as such.

I gave my remaining two balls to my playing partner when we concluded our round.

Of course because the Tour soft is an overpriced 2 piece ball that should be $25 a dozen like the rest of the discount surlyn balls. I just find it incredibly dishonest of Titleist to use the term "tour" when it's not a tour ball.

As surlyn balls go, most of them should be around $10. Right there with the Slazengers of DSG or the Spongebobs from Walmart.

So your logic seems to be that any ball with the same cover should sell for the same as the cheapest one out there,,,,,,,,,,,

Interesting POV. :blind:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Ummmmm, ProV1 $48, Tour Soft $35. :wave:

Titleist Pro V1X

$35 was overpriced when it was the NXT-S

I'm not sure what your response has to do with what I was replying to linkerpan about,,,,,,,, but thanks,,,,,, I guess,,,,,,

Titleist Pro V1X

The tittle of this thread is Titleist Tour Soft€. I think is dedicated to collect opinions about the ball. My opinion is that the ball is expensive to be a surlyn ball and that should not compare it to the premium balls of other makers.

I think the way Titleist has handled that comparison is not apples to apples and is misleading. It may be a very high quality surlyn but it should be compared to its peers.

What this thread is not, as far as I know, is a threat about only positive reviews of it

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Plenty of Urethane balls can be had for $35 :nyam:

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

The tittle of this thread is Titleist Tour Soft€. I think is dedicated to collect opinions about the ball. My opinion is that the ball is expensive to be a surlyn ball and that should not compare it to the premium balls of other makers.

I think the way Titleist has handled that comparison is not apples to apples and is misleading. It may be a very high quality surlyn but it should be compared to its peers.

What this thread is not, as far as I know, is a threat about only positive reviews of it

So we should only be talking about the Tour Soft.

Except for you. You should talk about “fanboys on a hardcore golf forum”.

P.S. One might observe that Titleist fanboys are out of place on a forum of cheapskates who are hung up on discount hunting.

Ahhh, so you meant OTHER brands' urethane golf balls then ? Got it.

Titleist Pro V1X

Finally got to try a Tour Soft. First hole. Massive drive and gripped almost too well on the approach. Second hole. Felt too soft off a full 7 iron and jumpy on longer putts. Third hole into a strong, cold breeze. Nailed it...until ball started to balloon. Same with second shot. Flew too high and lost a lot of distance into the breeze. Pars on next two holes then sixth was across the breeze. Another very solid drive but distance nothing special. Knockdown wedge went much too far and moved a lot more on the breeze than other balls I use. Swapped it for a 2016 Project (a) and that was must better to control into and across the breeze.

Not sure what the TS is trying to do. For distance go for the Velocity and for trajectory control it has to be the V1.

A lot of the issue people are taking with the Tour Soft is Titleist's marketing campaign with it. Specifically singling out other brand's premium balls and quickly showing charts that show vague data with distance and feel categories on them, and stating Tour Soft is better than TP5 and Chrome Soft is ironic. Especially since Chrome Soft and TP5 share a lot of performance traits with the ProV1. So why is Titleist not telling people that the Tour Soft has better distance and feel than their own ProV1?

All of the big brands have had marketing campaigns comparing themselves to others, but this is the first time I can remember one of them trying to compare a mid level ball to a premium ball. I guess maybe it is out of necessity, because if you are going to charge $35 for a non uerethane 2 piece ball you had better make people believe it is a premium ball.

And in reality I guess the placebo effect has worked because Titleist never said that the Tour Soft outperforms the TP5 or Chrome Soft with greenside spin and control, but they have a lot of people drinking that cool-aid because the commercial was vague and led them to think that it outperforms the other premium balls in all categories.

And in reality I guess the placebo effect has worked because Titleist never said that the Tour Soft outperforms the TP5 or Chrome Soft with greenside spin and control, but they have a lot of people drinking that cool-aid because the commercial was vague and led them to think that it outperforms the other premium balls in all categories.

Worse yet, they have the Titleist haters on GolfWRX swearing blind that they DID claim better shortgame spin than Chrome Soft!

Let's face it, any serious player interested n short-game spin and control is never going to buy a Tour Soft or any other 2pc Surlyn ball regardless of price or brand or advertising campaign. Titleist knows that.

So when they say Tour Soft is "better" than Chrome Soft that means "better" in the ways that are important to the target market for a 2pc Surlyn ball. Spin and height on full shots, "feel" and distance. And go figure, there are indeed plenty of 2pc Surlyn balls that you can hit as high and get as much distance as a Chrome Soft.

I think the claim for full-swing approach spin is mighty optimistic but I've got to say the guys I've played with who are trying it don't seem to have any trouble holding greens with a 7-iron or whatever. So it's not a Velocity or e6 or Pinnacle Gold type knuckleball on full swings at least. No short-game spin at all, though. None. As expected.

Worse yet, they have the Titleist haters on GolfWRX swearing blind that they DID claim better shortgame spin than Chrome Soft!

Let's face it, any serious player interested n short-game spin and control is never going to buy a Tour Soft or any other 2pc Surlyn ball regardless of price or brand or advertising campaign. Titleist knows that.

So when they say Tour Soft is "better" than Chrome Soft that means "better" in the ways that are important to the target market for a 2pc Surlyn ball. Spin and height on full shots, "feel" and distance. And go figure, there are indeed plenty of 2pc Surlyn balls that you can hit as high and get as much distance as a Chrome Soft.

I think the claim for full-swing approach spin is mighty optimistic but I've got to say the guys I've played with who are trying it don't seem to have any trouble holding greens with a 7-iron or whatever. So it's not a Velocity or e6 or Pinnacle Gold type knuckleball on full swings at least. No short-game spin at all, though. None. As expected.

Yea this is my thought as well. I know that this ball is at the mid tier range and is not supposed to compete with ProV's or any other top tier ball. I'm also skeptical about others getting a lot of greenside spin since I don't get any either.

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

It's obvious they targeted Chrome Soft because Callaway keeps eating more and more ball share each year. Callaway is now #1 in ball sales in big box stores and now they are going after green grass. I don't blame Titleist for trying to play some defense and protect their golden goose.

Anyone claiming they are getting as good of green side spin with the Tour soft compared to a urethane ball should be ignored and dismissed.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

It's obvious they targeted Chrome Soft because Callaway keeps eating more and more ball share each year. Callaway is now #1 in ball sales in big box stores and now they are going after green grass. I don't blame Titleist for trying to play some defense and protect their golden goose.

Anyone claiming they are getting as good of green side spin with the Tour soft compared to a urethane ball should be ignored and dismissed.

Wait a minute, I thought the golden goose was ProV1?

Wait a minute, I thought the golden goose was ProV1?

It is and I think that is why Titleist is using their strategy with Tour Soft, i.e., other premium balls are only as good as our mid-tier ball and the Pro V1 stands alone on the top of the mount.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

It may be a good ball for soft receptive greens. Would love to see a scratch golfer play this ball on baked hard greens where you can barely get a pitch mark from 120 yards out. Would be off the back quite a bit.

This ball will sell great off the bat. Will it sustain the $35 price tag ? Maybe in pro shops but I doubt the retail store will move them in any considerable number.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

It may be a good ball for soft receptive greens. Would love to see a scratch golfer play this ball on baked hard greens where you can barely get a pitch mark from 120 yards out. Would be off the back quite a bit.

This ball will sell great off the bat. Will it sustain the $35 price tag ? Maybe in pro shops but I doubt the retail store will move them in any considerable number.

Our greens were firming up some last week, not quite to peak season condition but firmer than they were back during the depths of winter.

My buddy with the Tour Soft found it was holding just fine on full-swing approach shots. But he did have a couple of bog-simple chip shots from 10-15 yards short of the green that ran well past the hole. I'd say one out of the three shots like that I saw him hit reacted about like he wanted (land, take about two little bounces then roll out 10 feet or so. The other two out of three ended up 20-30 feet past where he expected.

Now maybe he mishit one or both of those a little. He chips with a GW and doesn't really try to nip it and spin it hard anyway. The real teller was on a longish bunker shot where he had to fly the ball about 20 yards and land on what's usually one of the firmer greens on the course. He landed it just where he wanted and was pretty p.o.'d that it rolled about 30 feet and all the way to the back fringe.