Torrey Pines South Walk On

ckay

Not used to posting on this side of the table as I am always replying to inquiries on Bethpage Black.

In any event, I would like to play Torrey South on April 12th which is a Thursday. I am contemplating using the reservation system for a non-refundable $45 to guarantee me a tee time if available.

With that being said, what is the success rate of walking on as a Single? Ideally, I would like to play later AM.

Any tips would be great.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

havent played in awhile - but when I did...about 7 years ago...

typically if one got there at 4:30-5:00 am and got in line its a pretty good chance you can walk one(east coasters wake up at that time - at least I do when on West Coast)

have done it and played 36 in one day (south and then north)

Depends if any events are being held that day. The calendar for April won't be on the site until end of February for March/April. Check it here (right side under "Contact") https://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/golf/torreypines

Most likely no need to pay the $45 reservation fee. Just show up at 7am and you'll get out as a single no problem. Beat morning rush hour and just wait it out at the course.

• Like 1

Last summer I went around 11am and added my name to the twilight list figuring I wouldn't get out until around 3. I had lunch with my wife at the lodge grill next door and and they sent me out with a 3some around 1:00. Awesome experience.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Thanks for all of your feedback. I land in LAX at Midnight, and by the time I get my clubs from baggage claim, and into my rental, it sounds like I will have to just drive straight to Torrey. Might as well get the full experience of golf and no sleep just like I tell anyone coming into NY to play Black.

Thanks again everyone, and I will post up my experiences and hope to give prudent advice going forward in future Torrey posts.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

~2.5 hr drive to Torrey parking lot and sleep in your car, that's what a lot of people do. People used to tailgate there and party all night for the early morning walkons. I mean, you could even sleep in somewhere longer (hotel) and still play mid morning. Singles get out pretty easily most days. Like I said just depends what they have scheduled on both courses, ie men's club, ladies club, corporate outings, public shotguns etc. You ought to check the calendar when it's available on the site. Have fun!

~2.5 hr drive to Torrey parking lot and sleep in your car, that's what a lot of people do. People used to tailgate there and party all night for the early morning walkons. I mean, you could even sleep in somewhere longer (hotel) and still play mid morning. Singles get out pretty easily most days. Like I said just depends what they have scheduled on both courses, ie men's club, ladies club, corporate outings, public shotguns etc. You ought to check the calendar when it's available on the site. Have fun!

Yeah. Just check the calendar closer to your date. If the day is clear from corporate or club events, you can probably show up any time and get out within the hour. Especially on a Thursday.

If you do the walk on, do you pretty much have to go when they tell you or can you say you want to go a little later?

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

If you do the walk on, do you pretty much have to go when they tell you or can you say you want to go a little later?

You can go later, but run the risk that another spot doesn't open up for some time.

Driver: Titleist TSR2

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Cobra Baffler F6

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58*

Putter: Evnroll ER2 

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

• 1 year later...

South is pretty easy to walk onto right now. Check one of the other threads, but it's down to only 16 holes right now, so play is sparse. 2 holes are under construction for the next few months. They split up 2 of the par 5's so you can play 18 "holes" if you want. But it's really only 16 holes right now. The course is in great condition right now. Not too many people playing it.

> @golferdrmjr said:

> ezpz wrote:

>

>

>

> What's the fee for walking on - south? Is it the full ~250$ for non residents?

>

>

>

>

> No discount for walking on. $252 Fri-Sun, $202 Mon-Thurs.

Wow. That's a long way from the 20 bucks or so I payed as a resident back in the 80's when I lived out there....

I recently booked using their app, a few days before the tee time as a non-resident without paying a reservation fee. I believe what happens is that locals book up a bunch of times in advance and dump them when their plans change or they can't fill out their group. I'd try that, just keep checking it thru the app. Better that than waiting around IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be out in SD for a conference in early November and wanted to play South course as a single.. I'm thinking of booking in advance and paying the $45 to make sure I can get on during the small window I have to play. I'm hoping they might be finished with all of their construction by November and worried the tee times might get difficult to secure.. Sound logic? Thoughts anyone?

Has anyone heard of any updates on the construction timeline (are they going to be finished in September as planned?) - I searched online and can't find anything.. Like anything, I'm sure they're behind where they want to be.

Thank you @MikekiM and @thevaporz - went ahead and booked a single tee time on the South course early one weekday morning in November. I've accepted the fact that the conditions could possibly be a little bare, but I want to see the new layout and play a round at the South course while I'm in town. With a small window of time to play and traveling across the country, I've gone ahead and spent the $45 to reserve my time, when I want to and can play. Hopefully I'll find another opening and be able to book the North course a day or two ahead of time to get the full experience! Thanks again for both of your responses. -MW

> @MikekiM said:

> South is pretty easy to walk onto right now. Check one of the other threads, but it's down to only 16 holes right now, so play is sparse. 2 holes are under construction for the next few months. They split up 2 of the par 5's so you can play 18 "holes" if you want. But it's really only 16 holes right now. The course is in great condition right now. Not too many people playing it.

I am a torrey regular and I haven't played South in forever. Its not worth the price since its under construction. I would double check to see what type of experience you will be getting and how many holes you will actually get to play as well as how many temporary holes are in play.

I can speak for North as I played yesterday and its in great shape!

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

I’m planning a trip to go out January 8-11th. Wanting to play the south course on Thursday the 9th. Does anyone know when they shut the course down for the Farmers? Anyone have any tips on booking a tee time or should I just plan on walking on at sunrise? I’ll be a single (wife will ride along in the cart).

> @jjrussell12 said:

> I’m planning a trip to go out January 8-11th. Wanting to play the south course on Thursday the 9th. Does anyone know when they shut the course down for the Farmers? Anyone have any tips on booking a tee time or should I just plan on walking on at sunrise? I’ll be a single (wife will ride along in the cart).

Typically 2 weeks prior to Farmers Insurance open so yeah that's cutting it close especially with the remodel they might even shut it down sooner

So I played it today and yeah its in interesting shape. The holes that are open are in decent shape not great definitely not anywhere close to tournament conditions. If any of you are trying to do a bucket list trip I would wait till after the Farmers Insurance Open late January 2020. Earliest December 2019

Par 5 hole 6 and Par 5 18th play as two holes right now with a short par 3 and par 4 and they didn't even make a green its just fairway with a pin in it. So lazy! and 13 and 14 are closed down so you play 12 which is the furthest from the course then you have to walk forever to hole 15. They don't care about the customer experience I feel bad for those paying out of town rates.

Here are some pics of the bunker changes on 4 and 9 and construction on 13 and 14.

oinifhnj7tbf.jpeg

sp30yp0gsis6.jpeg

ux7mkyr022k0.jpeg

inxvprruvjkf.jpeg

> @mtex22 said:

> So I played it today and yeah its in interesting shape. The holes that are open are in decent shape not great definitely not anywhere close to tournament conditions. If any of you are trying to do a bucket list trip I would wait till after the Farmers Insurance Open late January 2020. Earliest December 2019

>

> Par 5 hole 6 and Par 5 18th play as two holes right now with a short par 3 and par 4 and they didn't even make a green its just fairway with a pin in it. So lazy! and 13 and 14 are closed down so you play 12 which is the furthest from the course then you have to walk forever to hole 15. They don't care about the customer experience I feel bad for those paying out of town rates.

>

> Here are some pics of the bunker changes on 4 and 9 and construction on 13 and 14.

> oinifhnj7tbf.jpeg

> sp30yp0gsis6.jpeg

> ux7mkyr022k0.jpeg

> inxvprruvjkf.jpeg

Not sure if it is the angle of your photos but is the bunker on 4 smaller now?? Also the bunker on 9 looks like it guards the whole right side now. :o

I played back in May and find it hard to go back with these conditions even at the resident rate. The broken up holes makes it feel like you only get 14 of the whole experience not just 16, we ended up just playing two balls on 18, one at the temporary green and one for the actual hole. Probably will wait until at least all of the construction is done before heading back out to south, I can deal with the maybe not perfect conditions so long as I can play the whole course.

> @Sjewell94 said:

> > @mtex22 said:

> > So I played it today and yeah its in interesting shape. The holes that are open are in decent shape not great definitely not anywhere close to tournament conditions. If any of you are trying to do a bucket list trip I would wait till after the Farmers Insurance Open late January 2020. Earliest December 2019

> >

> > Par 5 hole 6 and Par 5 18th play as two holes right now with a short par 3 and par 4 and they didn't even make a green its just fairway with a pin in it. So lazy! and 13 and 14 are closed down so you play 12 which is the furthest from the course then you have to walk forever to hole 15. They don't care about the customer experience I feel bad for those paying out of town rates.

> >

> > Here are some pics of the bunker changes on 4 and 9 and construction on 13 and 14.

> > oinifhnj7tbf.jpeg

> > sp30yp0gsis6.jpeg

> > ux7mkyr022k0.jpeg

> > inxvprruvjkf.jpeg

>

> Not sure if it is the angle of your photos but is the bunker on 4 smaller now?? Also the bunker on 9 looks like it guards the whole right side now. :o

>

> I played back in May and find it hard to go back with these conditions even at the resident rate. The broken up holes makes it feel like you only get 14 of the whole experience not just 16, we ended up just playing two balls on 18, one at the temporary green and one for the actual hole. Probably will wait until at least all of the construction is done before heading back out to south, I can deal with the maybe not perfect conditions so long as I can play the whole course.

Yeah that is correct the bunker on 4 is small and skinny it looks quite odd and the hole is essentially easier now. Odd design. Yes the bunkers on 9 make it more difficult to go for it in two. Yeah I am definitely not going to play again at least till just before or after the Farmers Insurance open even at the resident rate.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All, I'm another east coaster headed to San Diego for a conference in October. Want to play the North Course on my last day. What are the chances of walking on the North Course as a single on a Thursday in October? I should be able to get to the course by 6-6:30 no problem, but fly out at 4PM so don't want to risk having to hang around for more than a few hours.