2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

As much as I hate this shutdown and miss golf, it's the right move. ( I learned today Vancouver Club is still open with limitations. I expect that will change fast.) The other part of it frankly is the hundreds of dollars I budget for golf each month are going into savings. a drop in the bucket the way our investments are going dsown, but cash in the bank is cash in the bank. We're all going to need it folks the way this is shaping up.

Now, if they close the BC Liquor stores..... that's another reality in coping.

^I see Save-On sells wine nowadays so that's good :-)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Very few groceries are allowed...I'm not aware of any In Vancouver city. Such groceries have to be Xmeters (a lot of meters) away from any private or govt booze stores. Fair enough...the Province pushed private liquor stores, (likely moving to get rid of BCLC stores and employee benefits ) and private folks spent mega bucks setting them up. Haven't been to one at a Save On that sells 'em, but one criticism before they got going was that there would only be "volume" seller wines in those stores. I don't think there is any kind of shelf space or variety or pricing like you can get at say, Ralph's where you are.

Hold the presses... as I type this watching the Global News news I see that Surrey Golf Club (etc.) other than Van City courses are still open. Gonna change fast methinks.

Edit: I just played it back...Barry Delane saying that the golfers were practicising "social distancing", just as the video betrayed that statement.

Quoting my own post of last night: " as I type this watching the Global News news I see that Surrey Golf Club (etc.) other than Van City courses are still open. Gonna change fast methinks.

Edit: I just played it back...Barry Delane saying that the golfers were practicising "social distancing", just as the video betrayed that statement."

I love golf, miss golf terribly.

At least two foursomes on camera in that piece last night were clearly not practicing recommended distancing, "safe golf" (to coin a phrase). But clearly expecting everyone on course to maintain proper distancing- and a lot of them vulnerable seniors on weekdays- is not going to work. Not to mention if the same folks start touching course fixtures.

So I've come around to probably the unpopular position on here that if there is any chance to get ahead of the curve.. at least for the first wave, all the courses need to be shut down. Now.

We had a great day out yesterday. Gotta say, seeing a golf course free of carts/buggies was excellent (no disrespect to those who use them of course). To feel the sun for 5 hours was amazing as well...been too long!

I understand those who think everything should be closed but until they do shut them down I'm going to keep playing every weekend.

I'm a free spirit and basically a loner, so outside of the 3 people I work with, I come into close contact with absolutely no one. My post-round Fatburger yesterday featured me standing, eating my lunch on the back trunk of my car in an empty parking lot...it was awesome!

Empty roads and cheap gas to burn, this is blissful! I'm heading out for a high-revving, spirited early morning drive right now!

'Triggy happy' towards ignorant comments is a good thing.

Hopefully when VGC opens back up it'll be in tip-top shape and you still get in a lot of rounds this season.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Well as far as I know the grounds crew are still working.

Based on the fact the Federal Government is offering $2,000 per person per month (subject to some conditions) for four months. This would indicate to me that the Governments thinks the restrictions will last four months.

So 4 months of the golf course where the grounds crew has full access to the course without any members ...... pressure is really on the crew now but I hope the members do not set the bar too high.

It's not imagining ;-)

0NXN4IUUG738.png

F.T.

2° Celsius as we stood on the first tee at Swaneset yesterday and then the windchill kicked in about halfway through the round - felt like a late November round!

Gotta say, it felt special to be out there under the circumstances. I was hitting poor shots all over the front nine and my usual rush of blood to the head was non existent no matter how poor the result. Truly a round to cherish despite shooting 50-42

I played at Surrey yesterday. Social distancing signs on display, restaurant closed, 1 person in the pro shop at a time. Course marshals were driving around ensuring and reminding people to keep their distance. Course was in good shape, greens were in great shape and can't beat their $20 twilight rate either.

Driver 1: Ping G425 LST, Rogue 130 MSI

Driver 2: Wishon 519, 11 deg, Project X 8b4
3 Wood: Wishon Eq1
Irons: Wishon Sterling, 4-GW, PX 6.5 SS
Wedges: Ping glide 3.0 54 deg; Ping glide 3.0 eye 2 60 deg
Ping Ketsch Heavy

Practice greens were open (but just a couple guys using them) and the pro shop is bare except for the tape on the floor to mark the safe distances, big sheets of plexiglass separating staff from customers. Walk in, tap debit and out to play no worries. From my observations all the golfers knew the deal and I didn't see anyone acting a fool.

Cup is one inch deep so at least proper putting is still the only way to score.

Would it be of any help to compile a list of courses that are/will open? PG is closed but I got out to Redwoods on the weekend and thanked all the staff as it was an amazing mental break to just hit the ball around, albeit rather poorly.

From what I know:

Redwoods

Surrey

Hazelmere

Belmont

Swan-E-Set

Kings Links

Pagoda (opening soon after aeration?)

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x