2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

thepinkbomber

I found one of these basically brand new on the course and used it for a few holes. To me it seemed to spin a lot more and really made my mishits even worse

That's very helpful and informative.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Sorry NSX, I don't have access to any kind of trackers for data. FWIW, I usually play a combo of Pro v1/x, TP5/x, and Vice Pro + and they don't slice or hook as bad on a mishit with a driver like the AVX did.

I guess that's why there are so many choices.

Different things happen for different players.

I have no experience with Vice golf balls but do with ProV1 and TP5 and I don't believe the AVX spins more than either of them. Ergo, it's straighter and longer than both of them,,,,,,,,,,,,,, for ME.

Titleist Pro V1X

I tell you this one thing (for me!). Once you get used to AVX there's something seems very "off" about the trajectory and ball flight any time you hit another ball. I'd gathered up a couple of like-new ProV1x's found on the course lately so this weekend I played one of them for several holes in the middle of a solo round.

I'd have thought ProV1x was as familiar as and old pair of bedroom slippers after the 100's of rounds I've played with it over the years but it just flew funny, landed funny, even sounded a bit odd when i hit it. It also consistently came up half a club short on every iron or wedge shot so I guess I can no longer kid myself that AVX is "my usual distance" off the irons. What I think of as "usual" is an extra 5-6 yards...it's gotta be the ball!

I had to wait to post back here. I played the AVX and I was impressed how straight it went, but I thought needed more spin than it offered. So I went to the TP5 and x. And I liked them. A lot. They did everything I asked them to. I played a combination for about 10 rounds. They went pretty straight and spun around the greens, but were just a little short. I kept coming up a couple yards short of greens, when I knew I shouldn't have; but I'd take another club and I was good to go. Off the tee they were monsters. High and long. And my scores were pretty much as I would have expected. Usually high 90s. But still curious, I put the AVX back in play.

It took me literally a few holes to adjust, but what I discovered the few times I had used it was true: It definitely is longer and spins less, noticeably on both. I gained just a few yards of carry on my irons and woods. Now roll, was a different story. It ran and I got more total distance. That was welcome, but the thing that was most welcome was the reduction of side spin. I play a fade. When I missed with the TP5's, it would be in the rough, but still mostly playable. With the AVX, I was on the either in light rough, but mostly still in the fairway. Longer and in the fairway helped tremendously. The scores came down. With this ball, I was able to be more aggressive. What I didn't count on was the stopping power. This ball WILL stop. My last round I played as good as I could play. I had 6 legitimate birdie chances on approach shots. Off the irons, the ball launched high and stopped dead within 2-5 feet of its mark. The shot that convinced me was I was on the right side of the fairway on my home course. My gap wedge is 102 yards. All day. But I stood 115 yards from the pin. I fired at the pin with it anyway and immediately knew it was still carrying. I screamed like an idiot, "Get down!" It not only got down, but hit next to the pin and spun back 5 feet. And of course, I missed the birdie putt.

I'm convinced. It's soft. It will stop. It goes straighter. It goes farther. I'm hitting more fairways and greens. Still can't putt. but I'm losing less shots (and keeping the 6'sa and 7's off the the card) and writing down scores in the low 90's now, and even dabbled with an 87. This ball is a keeper. I'm happy with it and was wrong. I'm glad I was wrong.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I found one of these basically brand new on the course and used it for a few holes. To me it seemed to spin a lot more and really made my mishits even worse

Literally exact the opposite of what any of the GC quad track man data says, but enjoy your Chrome Softs

And? Not everyone has the same experience or swing with everything. Enjoy your bad attitude. :)

Literally exact the opposite of what any of the GC quad track man data says, but enjoy your Chrome Softs

And? Not everyone has the same experience or swing with everything. Enjoy your bad attitude. :)

My attitude is fine, more AVX’s for me. Enjoy playing the 2 spinniest balls on the market and thinking it’s going to prevent your pull hooks and banana fades

It does seem to go against a pretty large number of tests. I have trouble believing all these guys are wrong about the balls low spin properties.

Maybe test it out again on a few more holes.

Love the people that are saying the AVX is the difference and it’s doing this and that to improve their game and when someone disputes it they get their panties all in a bunch and they say something like “it reacts differently to different people and their swings etc but it works for ME” then when someone different posts a negative experience with the AVX that doesn’t match up with what they have found they again get their panties in a bunch and rudely discredit/bash them for saying it.

Ya can’t have it both ways people

If soneone thinks a ball immediately knocked 5-10 strokes off their handicap they are going to have to deal with being told that is impossible.

If another person thinks AVX spins far more than Chrome Soft they are again, clearly mistaken and people will say so.

It is undeniably a ball with a unique mix of traits. But it isn’t magic. It can’t turn a 90-shooter into an 80-shooter. And it can’t spin less than Chrome Soft for everyone else in the world yet somehow spin more for one or two people.

Sorry NSX, I don't have access to any kind of trackers for data. FWIW, I usually play a combo of Pro v1/x, TP5/x, and Vice Pro + and they don't slice or hook as bad on a mishit with a driver like the AVX did.

They actually do help my occasional mishits thank you. I hope you and your AVX's are very happy together.

I'm definitely not saying every tester out there is wrong, just sharing my experience with the one ball I found and used.

Love the people that are saying the AVX is the difference and it's doing this and that to improve their game and when someone disputes it they get their panties all in a bunch and they say something like "it reacts differently to different people and their swings etc but it works for ME" then when someone different posts a negative experience with the AVX that doesn't match up with what they have found they again get their panties in a bunch and rudely discredit/bash them for saying it.

Ya can't have it both ways people

Nobody wants it "both ways" - except you maybe.

Your standing up for the "underdog" is admirable, however misguided it is.

Let's recap, shall we ?

As you can see, HE admits he used the ball for a "few holes" and suggests it made his mishits (plural) worse. Hardly a long-term "test". :rolleyes:

He says the Prov1, TP5x and Vice balls don't "slice or hook as bad on a mishit with a driver like the AVX did" and then, in almost his next cyber-breath tells us "They actually do help my occasional mishits". :o Sounds like he feels very strongly both ways,,,,,,,,,,,, :cheesy:

So his "negative experience" is a handful of shots over a "few holes", at least 2 of which were mishits. And you're upset because guys who have played it quite a bit longer disagree with HIM ?

As they say in Thailand "Up to you". :hi:

Titleist Pro V1X

NSX, if you would have read my post and what I was replying to correctly instead of trying to be mr. cool guy, you would have seen that I said the "two most spinniest balls on the market" (zacks wording) that I normally play seem to help my occasional mishits, not the AVX. I have a pretty good grasp on when I mishit a ball and the AVX was not very friendly to those mishits. I'm not claiming them to be a crap ball, but I'm also not claiming them as a magick ball like others are either. Placebo effect.

I played 36 holes that day and the ball lasted around 9 holes before I tin cupped it in the water trying to reach the green in two on a par 5 fwiw.

I also play the P770's if that adds anything to the conversation. I'll buy a sleeve of AVX and try them out more and come back to this thread.

NSX, if you would have read my post and what I was replying to correctly instead of trying to be mr. cool guy, you would have seen that I said the "two most spinniest balls on the market" (zacks wording) that I normally play seem to help my occasional mishits, not the AVX. I have a pretty good grasp on when I mishit a ball and the AVX was not very friendly to those mishits. I'm not claiming them to be a crap ball, but I'm also not claiming them as a magick ball like others are either. Placebo effect.

I played 36 holes that day and the ball lasted around 9 holes before I tin cupped it in the water trying to reach the green in two on a par 5 fwiw.

I also play the P770's if that adds anything to the conversation. I'll buy a sleeve of AVX and try them out more and come back to this thread.

This is the post you responded to, or at least posted immediately afterward (you don't seem to care for the "reply" or "quote" buttons) follows.

My attitude is fine, more AVX's for me. Enjoy playing the 2 spinniest balls on the market and thinking it's going to prevent your pull hooks and banana fades

You responded with THIS

They actually do help my occasional mishits thank you. I hope you and your AVX's are very happy together.

The subject is the AVX. So you're saying you meant the ProV and the TP5 was what you meant helped your "occasional misses" ???

So now it's not a "few holes" and "mishits" ? Now it's 9 holes ? OK, a bit better but still hardly a "test".

No, your P770s don't add anything to the conversation (IMO) but your handicap index might.

I look forward to your future review(s).

Titleist Pro V1X

This is the post you responded to, or at least posted immediately afterward (you don't seem to care for the "reply" or "quote" buttons) follows.

My attitude is fine, more AVX's for me. Enjoy playing the 2 spinniest balls on the market and thinking it's going to prevent your pull hooks and banana fades

You responded with THIS

The subject is the AVX. So you're saying you meant the ProV and the TP5 was what you meant helped your "occasional misses" ???

So now it's not a "few holes" and "mishits" ? Now it's 9 holes ? OK, a bit better but still hardly a "test".

No, your P770s don't add anything to the conversation (IMO) but your handicap index might.

I look forward to your future review(s).

You can clearly see I mention what balls I normally play, then Zakers replied with the spinnest ball comment, then I replied. This isn't rocket surgery.

I don't like using the quote on multiple replies because it will be a long chain and bogs the forum down.

I don't keep a handicap, its the equivalent of "Whats your bench bro?" or "how fast is your mile?". I have good days and bad days like everyone else.

Like I said, I'll give them another go. I was really excited when I found it because I had read this thread (and others) and then coincidentally I found one basically new. I was pumped to try it after all the "reviews". Oh well

Don't come back until you have played at least 12 doz. boxes on a variety of different courses in at least 3 different countries.

I'll hop on my private jet with my HCP of -989900 and hit the links pronto. Is 14 dozen ok?

You can clearly see I mention what balls I normally play, then Zakers replied with the spinnest ball comment, then I replied. This isn't rocket surgery.

I don't like using the quote on multiple replies because it will be a long chain and bogs the forum down.

I don't keep a handicap, its the equivalent of "Whats your bench bro?" or "how fast is your mile?". I have good days and bad days like everyone else.

Like I said, I'll give them another go. I was really excited when I found it because I had read this thread (and others) and then coincidentally I found one basically new. I was pumped to try it after all the "reviews". Oh well

You're right, it isn't rocket surgery (whatever THAT is) but the topic is the AVX.

Your concern for the forum is admirable if a bit misguided but how about on single replies ? Personally I would rather have my post be CLEAR to others rather than worry about something the board didn't even worry about when they made up their posting rules - but maybe that's just me.

You don't keep a handicap. OK, so I notice you didn't bother telling us approximately what you shoot for 18 holes which might have been a logical addition to your reply but whatever,,,,,,,,,,,

And you were "pumped to try it after all the "reviews". Oh well" ??? Sounds like you're ready to give it a real try - NOT. LOL

Titleist Pro V1X

Obviously your sarcastic wit fell short on the rocket surgery part. I was actually on topic the entire time, I'm sorry your reading comprehension isn't as good as your sarcasm NSX.

I'm new to this forum specifically and don't know all the ins and outs yet but I'll get there eventually.

Some days I shoot 70's some days I shoot 90's. Whats your squat max brah? How many bags of groceries can you carry from the car inside without tearing a bag? How fast can you chug a jug of milk? Count of dogs you can wrestle at once?

I'll give the ball another try, and when I do I'll be sure to PM you first of my thoughts. Until then, toodaloo buddy.

Obviously your sarcastic wit fell short on the rocket surgery part. I was actually on topic the entire time, I'm sorry your reading comprehension isn't as good as your sarcasm NSX.

I'm new to this forum specifically and don't know all the ins and outs yet but I'll get there eventually.

Some days I shoot 70's some days I shoot 90's. Whats your squat max brah? How many bags of groceries can you carry from the car inside without tearing a bag? How fast can you chug a jug of milk? Count of dogs you can wrestle at once?

I'll give the ball another try, and when I do I'll be sure to PM you first of my thoughts. Until then, toodaloo buddy.

You’re extremely entertaining and I hope you keep posting here

Let's hope so.

Some days I shoot 70's some days I shoot 90's.

Thanks. That's at least somewhat useful.

Whats your squat max brah? How many bags of groceries can you carry from the car inside without tearing a bag? How fast can you chug a jug of milk? Count of dogs you can wrestle at once?

Tell ya what. When we're discussing those things on a forum BASED on same, I'll let ya know.

"Squat thrusts" and "toodaloo" ?

Interesting combination,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Titleist Pro V1X

I got ya on grocery bags.

Alls I know is you can't find cheap AVX deals anywhere at this juncture. So they must be fairly popular, even the used ones on eBay go for like $30/dozen and up. More expensive than ProV1.

I guarantee with two weeks diligent shopping on eBay I could source current generation ProV1/ProV1x for under $40/dozen in new condition (maybe with logos or something) and 5-A used you can get them for as little as $25/dozen. The cheapest AVX I've seen are around $42.50/dozen new and $32/dozen 5-A (mint) used. Yikes!

I got ya on grocery bags.

I can fit 15 in one hand depending on the bag. The walmart bags tend to help my grip a little bit but the target bags tend to exaggerate my occasional grip slip. WHATS YOUR BAG COUNT BRO???!??!!?

Okay so is anyone actually using or comparing these to other balls lately? I have to ask since the thread got derailed quite awhile ago!

I played it for nine holes today and I like the ball. It seems to be good for me off any club used and the putter too!

It’s a unicorn ball for me, I’ve shot the best scores in the last 4 months I’ve been using this ball.

Other people will try and dissuade, but I hit my longest, straitest shots. The softness helps my quick tempo knowing that I don’t have to “attack the ball” in order to make it go where I want. No ball feels better off the putter face, and with tight lie chips it’s the same nice soft muted sound which gives me a ton of confidence.

Played a practice round today, with two balls in play, front 9 it was Pro V1 against AVX, the V1 is what i play, so i noticed no huge difference in distance, minimal difference in feel and could play either, the only real difference, which stated before was the shot i play a bit, which is a 54 wedge in low with check, i struggle to get the distance right with the V1 as it sometimes bites too much, the AVX seems easier for me to get closer with, even chipped into the hole once.

Back 9 i switched out the V1 to a TP5 and i have to say i do love the TP5, again no real difference in distance, i think the TP5 had it on more holes than the AVX, the AVX does a little better in wind.

From playing the AVX over the past few weeks, and testing it against many balls what i can say is:

Distance: it is good, but there's not a lot in it between the Pro V1, TP5, CS, Tour Soft, DT Trusoft or Velocity, they all operate within a few yards of each other to be fair. I can't really mention any X balls as i don't hit them well, so unfair to put them in this.

Height: it is low, i really noticed that today, i'm not sure i will be using this in winter, i may switch back to Pro V1, or the TP5 which i am getting more impressed with the more i use.

Spin: As stated many times, i am personally not good enough to use the spin properly on a premium high spin ball, it can bite when i don't want it, leaving me short, which is the shot i hate seeing, i also prefer playing higher flop shots to avoid this, the AVX does seem to be a little less prone to doing this for me, not to say it doesn't spin well, just doesn't seem to have that weird mega high spin stopper that i get with the pro v1 sometimes.

Overall, i have to say i could play a TP5, CS18, Pro V1 or AVX and be happy, i find the AVX is as good as the others overall, weak in some areas, but strong in many, same as the others. It is definitely a try before you buy, those expecting massive changes will be let down, those wanting just a minor improvement in one or two areas might enjoy trying this, dependent on what they're after.