2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

thepinkbomber

At my club's pro shop they have settled in to selling at a steady but fairly slow rate. Most of the long-term ProV1/ProV1x players who have tried AVX have gone back to the ProV's. I still don't think there are more than a handful of members, if that, who have stuck with AVX for longer than it takes to play through a dozen.

Shot even par last night with the AVX and had a legit shot at shooting a 32. Completely dialed in with the AVX and had a few top shelf shots that had me looking like Johnny Tour Pro in front of a bunch of league members. 65 and 85 yard wedge shots to a tucked pin and both shots one hopped and checked leaving me a 6 and 8 foot birdie which I converted on both. Favorite shot of the night was a 188 yard 5 iron to 5' to win the closest to the Pin and take the skins. Made that putt for Birdie to get me to -3 through 5 holes. It was one of those shots that I will replay over and over in my head since it was in front of about 20 members. One pulled drive followed by a failed hero shot and my under par round vanished like that. AVX's only fault is the 20 yard and under pitch shot that wont bite but my ability to stuff mid and long irons now clearly makes up for it. Almost the perfect ball!

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

AVX's only fault is the 20 yard and under pitch shot that wont bite but my ability to stuff mid and long irons now clearly makes up for it. Almost the perfect ball!

I think it's pretty remarkable the performance that Titleist were able to design into a 3pc ball without giving up more short-game spin than they did. I suspect it may be literally impossible to make a ball that checks up quicker on those 20-yarders and still performs in the long game like AVX.

When I started playing it and saw the great low-spin, low-trajectory performance I just assumed it would be pretty awful around the greens. But not so much, as it turned out. There is ALMOST a such thing as a free lunch I guess.

I found an AVX in the rough on 10 a few weeks ago and decided to put it in play on the next hole, a 200 yard downhill par 3 that plays about 190. I hit my stock 190 yd 5-iron and flew the green. Played it the next eight holes of that round and about six holes of a scramble the next day before I flared it OB. Seems to be a good 10-15 yards longer off the irons than the Pro V1 or Gamers I was playing before. Just snagged a dozen at Golf Glalaxy to continue the experiment.

For me the TP5 is interchangeable with an AVX if I want more spin. The TP5 is a phenomenal ball. But low spin off the tee is more important to me than spin around the greens. It can keep shots straighter and help limit the damage on a marginal shot. Trust me, if it’s bad, it’s bad and the ball is gone. But I’m glad I came back to this ball.

So the TP5 had more spin off the tee? Or the AVX?

They were almost similar. But like NB said, the flight was lower.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I’m an ex-collegiate player, high ball flight, high spin. 115ish ss with driver. I didn’t know who the AVX was marketed for or what it was supposed to be. Had always used prov1x. But I tried it recently and really like it. Ball cuts through the wind, not spinning iron shots off greens, ball just sticks. And plenty of spin on chip shots. I’m a fan

Found one and loved it. Passed it on to a buddy who works the pro shop at my club and he loved it enough he ordered 12 dozen for the shop and they are flying off the shelf. He then bought a dozen for himself and went out and had the low score fir his PAT. He believes in them enough to give uo his Provs .

If they are new to the shop they would indeed be selling fast , if they continue to sell then that’s a whole different story

Agreed

Played in a charity scramble yesterday and one of the guys on the team was using the AVX. He was a low swing speed guy and was using a G400 max driver.... it was crazy watching his ball flight. It would go about 150 yards then just fall out of the sky like how a duck gets folded up by a shotgun. The guy would have gotten another 20-30 yards at least on his drives with he used something with more spin. I didn't have the heart to tell him (he had cracked open a new box for this tournament), so I just let it go.

I wouldn't have minded giving it a try though..

ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

I don't think I have ever played a golf ball that suits me more than the AVX.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

I switched... and I am glad that I did.

By the way, I played Taconic in Williamstown MA a couple of weeks ago, and I was running low and asked to buy a dozen. All the pro shop had left were the 2-ball sample boxes with which they started the year, so I bought a bunch of them. They reported that the ball has been very popular this summer.

Funny, after trying to make a 913 D2 and a 917 D2 work, I am putting my old 910 D2 back in the bag for a bit, to see how it compares to my G400. That "high spin" 910 D2 might be just fine with the AVX.

Edit: the 910 D2 didn't work out. Back to the G400.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Yeah...I've had one AVX in my bag for a while. Don't know how I acquired it...maybe found it in the rough. I put it into play for the second time last night and this ball is the real deal for me. I've been a chronic high driver of the golf ball. Acquired an 8-degree driver with tour shaft this year, which helped. But, this ball has brought my drives down where they belong. I'm not fond of the price, but it looks like I'll be picking up a dozen after work today.

I found another AVX and have shot 75/77 with this ball. I think it was 26/28 in the putt department where normally Im 30-33 maybe. Hit fairways with it but not GIR, but plenty of those misses being fringe or pace off. It has me thinking that maybe I need a lower spinning ball around the green? Lots of good up and downs with this ball for me compared to my normal ProV1. I expect more putts when I hit greens of course, but these two rounds would have normally been 80-82 with the lack of GIRS when I look at past stats.

Just to dang much $$ and I've only found two of them.

Ditto!

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I found another AVX and have shot 75/77 with this ball. I think it was 26/28 in the putt department where normally Im 30-33 maybe. Hit fairways with it but not GIR, but plenty of those misses being fringe or pace off. It has me thinking that maybe I need a lower spinning ball around the green? Lots of good up and downs with this ball for me compared to my normal ProV1. I expect more putts when I hit greens of course, but these two rounds would have normally been 80-82 with the lack of GIRS when I look at past stats.

If your normal ball is the prov1 how is the AVX too much money?

My average cost of acquisition for all the 2017 ProV1x's I've bought is around $34-$35. My average cost of acquiring AVX has been around $44. For some reason there are far, far fewer good deals out there on AVX than on new, current-model ProV1 and ProV1x. Probably because the AVX have not been around long enough for their to be 4-for-3 and holiday discount periods.

These tests confirm my suspicions. While the ball spins a tiny bit less with a driver it launches higher. I found one in the rough last night and played a few holes with it. My SS isn't very fast and I don't spin the ball that much with a driver, but it still flew really nice for me. I expected it to fly real low based on the description here and Titleists site, but it launched fairly high, and I got good distance with it. All clubs.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

It's designed for low trajectory by way of the dimples, not low launch angle on a launch monitor.

I get that. But the point I am trying to make is I didn't really see that on the course. It seemed to fly medium trajectory for me, and maybe launch a bit higher than the ProV. If I hadn't read this theread, or seen any of Titleists marketing I would say it's a higher trajectory ball than the ProV. That test pretty much confirms it, higher lauch and the spin while lower is just a tiny bit lower.

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

These tests confirm my suspicions. While the ball spins a tiny bit less with a driver it launches higher. I found one in the rough last night and played a few holes with it. My SS isn't very fast and I don't spin the ball that much with a driver, but it still flew really nice for me. I expected it to fly real low based on the description here and Titleists site, but it launched fairly high, and I got good distance with it. All clubs.

That test CALCULATES the flight based on launch angle and spin, and ASSUMES the same drag & lift attributes for all balls.

The lower flight of the AVX may very well be a result of the lift/drag. A hitting bay cannot detect this.

Trackman can I believe, since it captures the total flight path? Correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

That test CALCULATES the flight based on launch angle and spin, and ASSUMES the same drag & lift attributes for all balls.

The lower flight of the AVX may very well be a result of the lift/drag. A hitting bay cannot detect this.

Trackman can I believe, since it captures the total flight path? Correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Trackman done outdoors, yes

If your normal ball is the prov1 how is the AVX too much money?

I find a ton on the course, pro lets me dig on an occasion through the course bucket, used from lostgolfball, craigslist, and 2nd hand stores. not sure Ive ever bought a new Prov1.

I have nothing to add except that I think it’s a good ball don’t let the marketing or supposed “science” dissuade you.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

To me, the AVX is superior for sure than anything else out there, specifically off the tee. To each his own I guess.

PING G430 10k 9* Project X HZRDUS Hulk
PING G425 14.5* Tensei Orange 
PING G425 17* Tensei Orange
Titleist TSR Hybrids HZRDUS Silver 
PING i210 Irons Project X LZ
Edel Wedges S400 / TaylorMade MyMG4 Wedges S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

I am seeing lower ball flight with the driver. 90 mph swing speed, carrying it 200 to 210?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I am seeing lower ball flight with the driver. 90 mph swing speed, carrying it 200 to 210?

Me too. I am 90mph on a good day, carry about 200, hit it straightish usually. Low flat trajectory with AVX but somehow doesn’t me any carry distance.

I'm the same guy.....play with tee height....I haven't noticed a great deal of added driver distance but fwy and irons are certainly 7-10 more carry....I'm loving the non-click but non-mush feel.....softer but not mushy!

I'm the same guy.....play with tee height....I haven't noticed a great deal of added driver distance but fwy and irons are certainly 7-10 more carry....I'm loving the non-click but non-mush feel.....softer but not mushy!

That may change as swing speed goes up. I'm generally in the 109-112 range on course...LOVE the flatter flight of the AVX, but my only gripe is that the ball does feel a bit on the mushy side to me - particularly with my irons. I've described it as almost feeling bit too "light" if that makes any sense; like hitting a ping pong ball. I just don't get as much feedback out of it and it doesn't feel nearly as responsive or workable off the face.

As I said - I'm in love with the ball flight. I keep trying to get myself to play them....but usually just wind-up going back to the ProV1s stockpiled in my locker.

Finally got around to playing the AVX since they are selling them in sleeves. Played a Pro V1 for some time now and the current edition is the perfect golf ball. I really have no issues with it other than it could be a little softer to putt with. It's great in the wind and about as long as anything else out there.

I played a sleeve of white AVX and didn't notice much of a difference with it compared to the Pro V1 other than that it flew a little lower. About the same spin, feel, distance. Then I tried the new yellow ones. I hated them. The ball flew much lower with very little spin and it felt like a surlyn ball. Normally I hit a PW 130 yards, but I was hitting it at least 140 yards with the AVX. I couldn't hold greens and that's not the norm with a urethane ball for me. Was it just me thinking the yellow ball was different?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna