2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

thepinkbomber

What you're seeing totally agrees with the launch monitor results. And totally agrees with my own results. AVX spins 15-20% less of a 7-iron than ProV1 and that lower spin gives at least a half-club longer iron distance for many of us. But AVX only spins about 5-10% less in the short game than ProV1 and unless you play a very high-spin-dependent low, checking instantly type of chip shot 5-10% less is almost undetectable.

agree here 100%. I did notice on my Michigan trip with fast downhill bent grass greens it was almost impossible to stop.....both an AVX and ProV1, lol. i hit multiple small pitches and could not get a serious difference with the pro v1 to say wow that would have made a difference.

Back in October when AVX first showed up I spent several hours playing a round and stopping at about every other green to try AVX and ProV1x side by side on 15-40 yard shots. I eventually convinced myself the AVX was releasing just a tiny bit more on average but that may have been as much imagination or expectation as reality. There was no difference big enough to say for sure even after dozens of side-by-side shots.

But I do know a few people who play that Tour-style low spinner. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried it and said, "Woah, the AVX isn't spinning enough". Although there's one young fellow at my club, really good junior golfer, who I see those practicing low spinners all the time. I happen to know he tried AVX instead of ProV1 for a couple rounds and was an instant convert. So it must not be hobbling him too badly around the greens.

Then again, he can get a range ball to stop dead after one hop on a waist high 25-yard wedge shot so technique might have something to do with it...

yeah, I can def hit a low spinner with both. I actually like the fact that with the AVX I know it won't come back like a really nipped ProV will.

I also can see how a tour pro would not play this ball. The added at that level and distance average on those hard fast greens u would want that extra spin vs a little extra distance. perfect niche ball for the high spinning am that plays on normal courses...

What you're seeing totally agrees with the launch monitor results. And totally agrees with my own results. AVX spins 15-20% less of a 7-iron than ProV1 and that lower spin gives at least a half-club longer iron distance for many of us. But AVX only spins about 5-10% less in the short game than ProV1 and unless you play a very high-spin-dependent low, checking instantly type of chip shot 5-10% less is almost undetectable.

agree here 100%. I did notice on my Michigan trip with fast downhill bent grass greens it was almost impossible to stop.....both an AVX and ProV1, lol. i hit multiple small pitches and could not get a serious difference with the pro v1 to say wow that would have made a difference.

Back in October when AVX first showed up I spent several hours playing a round and stopping at about every other green to try AVX and ProV1x side by side on 15-40 yard shots. I eventually convinced myself the AVX was releasing just a tiny bit more on average but that may have been as much imagination or expectation as reality. There was no difference big enough to say for sure even after dozens of side-by-side shots.

But I do know a few people who play that Tour-style low spinner. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried it and said, "Woah, the AVX isn't spinning enough". Although there's one young fellow at my club, really good junior golfer, who I see those practicing low spinners all the time. I happen to know he tried AVX instead of ProV1 for a couple rounds and was an instant convert. So it must not be hobbling him too badly around the greens.

Then again, he can get a range ball to stop dead after one hop on a waist high 25-yard wedge shot so technique might have something to do with it...

yeah, I can def hit a low spinner with both. I actually like the fact that with the AVX I know it won't come back like a really nipped ProV will.

I also can see how a tour pro would not play this ball. The added at that level and distance average on those hard fast greens u would want that extra spin vs a little extra distance. perfect niche ball for the high spinning am that plays on normal courses...

Your last line is ironic because I'm playing it yet don't fit the concept.....I'm a low launch/low spin player that should in theory fit better into the V1x....but I prefer the softer,longer with my irons ,straighter flying AVX! V1x definitely flies higher off driver and I'm at a speed in which premium balls aren't going to maximize distance anyways..... the ball that is closest to overall performance has been the new Bridgestone B-xs....

There's a listing on eBay for new AVX balls. Two dozen for 75 bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Brand-New-Titleist-AVX-Golf-Balls-2-Dozen-Free-Shipping/163231730025?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=462444885544&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I've no relation to the eBay seller, I've just been checking AVX listings out of habit every morning for the last few months!

My morning troll of AVX on eBay shows that same listing (above) seems to have restocked. Both yellow and white available 2 doz for $75. I suspect the 2-for-75 guy is having them drop-shipped from Titleist, based on his shipping description.

But here is the best price I’ve seen to date on yellow AVX but you have to buy 6 dozen!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-TITLEIST-AVX-6-DOZEN-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-YELLOW/283143424842?hash=item41eca9cb4a%3Ag%3As08AAOSwiZZbkG8i&LH_ItemCondition=1000

https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649

I've no relation to the eBay seller, I've just been checking AVX listings out of habit every morning for the last few months!

My morning troll of AVX on eBay shows that same listing (above) seems to have restocked. Both yellow and white available 2 doz for $75. I suspect the 2-for-75 guy is having them drop-shipped from Titleist, based on his shipping description.

But here is the best price I've seen to date on yellow AVX but you have to buy 6 dozen!

https://www.ebay.com...mCondition=1000

5A's! much cheaper

https://www.ebay.com...872.m2749.l2649

But here is the best price I've seen to date on yellow AVX but you have to buy 6 dozen!

https://www.ebay.com...mCondition=1000

5A's! much cheaper

Not from reputable sellers. Mint condition used AVX are going from $30/dozen on up to silly prices.

Unless you're willing to roll the dice with some rando eBay listing.

I’ve played the white and yellow AVX and Srixon Z Star. I don’t notice the white playnig/feeling different than the yellow. I doubt a manufacturer would produce a colored golf ball that plays differently than the same model in white.

Completely agree.

Here’s a fun one. Have you ever used those Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips with the white paintfill that Vokey puts on wedges? Everybody including me insists they feel soooooo much softer and easier on the hands than regular, all-Black Tour Velvets. But they are actually 100% identical except for color of the paintfill.

Perception and cognition are weirdly wonderful things. Usually.

The Lamkin Crossline without the white paintfill feel so much better than the tradititional ones with the white. I know, I know they have to be the same, but in my mind I just can't sort it out.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I am continuing to see increased distance on my irons. Driver distance if anything is only a couple of yards longer. The short game with this ball will take some getting used, but hitting shots like the one below has me thinking of switching!

For me the driver distance is all extra rollout so it strongly depends on how firm and dry the fairways are. In the dry fall season when the course is at its firmest (just started to get that way now for this year) AVX is easily going to roll out 10-15 yards more than most balls, as long as it stays in the short grass. But during most of the year when the fairways are wetter and softer there's probably a couple extra yards but not enough to notice,.

The extra iron-shot distance is carry and that helps year-round.

Makes more sense now!

rotate.jpg

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Played my first 9 holes with the avx. DIdnt play very well to get a great feel for the ball. But the handful of shots I stuck well where absolutely amazing. Noticeable distance gains in my irons. The 9th hole hit 4 iron, sw. Par 4 310yds. 210yd 4 iron that flew high and landed soft. 100yds to center. Back pin. So 110ish. Sw flew pin high bounced once and stopped 2ft passed its pitch mark. Nice high ball flight. Easy 2 putt par.

Ball is extremely soft off the putter face as well. All in all a very good ball. I wish the price point wasnt so high. But gonna play this dozen till I run out and go from there before I decide to drop the z star. As far as distance gains. I would say at least half a club further, maybe even 3/4 of a club on my irons.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

Played my first 9 holes with the avx. DIdnt play very well to get a great feel for the ball. But the handful of shots I stuck well where absolutely amazing. Noticeable distance gains in my irons. The 9th hole hit 4 iron, sw. Par 4 310yds. 210yd 4 iron that flew high and landed soft. 100yds to center. Back pin. So 110ish. Sw flew pin high bounced once and stopped 2ft passed its pitch mark. Nice high ball flight. Easy 2 putt birdie.

Ball is extremely soft off the putter face as well. All in all a very good ball. I wish the price point wasnt so high. But gonna play this dozen till I run out and go from there before I decide to drop the z star. As far as distance gains. I would say at least half a club further, maybe even 3/4 of a club on my irons.

You had a 2 putt birdie on a par 4 after hitting 4i and SW?

Played my first 9 holes with the avx. DIdnt play very well to get a great feel for the ball. But the handful of shots I stuck well where absolutely amazing. Noticeable distance gains in my irons. The 9th hole hit 4 iron, sw. Par 4 310yds. 210yd 4 iron that flew high and landed soft. 100yds to center. Back pin. So 110ish. Sw flew pin high bounced once and stopped 2ft passed its pitch mark. Nice high ball flight. Easy 2 putt birdie.

oops. No it was a par. My mistake

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Bagboy Nitron 

oops. No it was a par. My mistake

Or as I'd call it in my own game "nice net birdie".

Very slowly the price of (new) AVX balls on eBay is coming down to earth. Best deal to date is a listing that showed up today, five dozen yellow AVX for $180. Just a couple weeks ago it was hard to find them, even buying large quantities, for under around $42/dozen. Now you can find $36-$37/dozen if you are willing to buy several dozen at a time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lot-Of-5-Dozen-Titleist-AVX-Golf-Balls-Yellow-60-Balls/173521543649?hash=item2866b0a1e1:g:sBYAAOSw9LlbkrCJ:sc:USPSPriority!29209!US!-1

Not sure why the eBay prices had remained higher than ProV1/ProV1x prices for so long but they've almost equalized now.

My major point of reluctance is the ultra low driver flight....with B'stone RXS, I've see the perfect window and tons of distance (for me) AVX being low/low, I'm not remotely close especially in these soggy South Florida conditions..... irons still getting the xtra yardage and the feel is phenomenal.....I'll try with higher tee point I guess.

Very slowly the price of (new) AVX balls on eBay is coming down to earth. Best deal to date is a listing that showed up today, five dozen yellow AVX for $180. Just a couple weeks ago it was hard to find them, even buying large quantities, for under around $42/dozen. Now you can find $36-$37/dozen if you are willing to buy several dozen at a time.

https://www.ebay.com...ity!29209!US!-1

Not sure why the eBay prices had remained higher than ProV1/ProV1x prices for so long but they've almost equalized now.

Thanks for your previous eBay link to that 2 dozen for $75. Jumped on that one. Should take me past New Year's. ;)

"They" don't make counterfeit balls, do they ??? :fie:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

My major point of reluctance is the ultra low driver flight....with B'stone RXS, I've see the perfect window and tons of distance (for me) AVX being low/low, I'm not remotely close especially in these soggy South Florida conditions..... irons still getting the xtra yardage and the feel is phenomenal.....I'll try with higher tee point I guess.

After more thought, I'm going to try TP5X again as this certainly gets up on tee ball ..

I played them again today for 3rd or 4thh round and I’m still impressed. Driver flight was nice trajectory, I’m not noticing much at all in lower off driver. Irons still longer and no issues stopping on the green. Really a good ball.

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

https://www.ebay.com...ity!29209!US!-1

I seen that 5 dozen for $180 deal and thought that was the lowest I have seen them new. If I didn't still have like 15 dozen or so golf balls here I might have jumped on that deal.

I’ve played the avx for a couple of months now. I usually play as a single in the late afternoons so I usually play 2 or 3 balls per hole on every hole. And usually compare the avx prov1x and project (a) side by side.

I have noticed that the abx is a bit longer than my old standby v1x. Maybe half a club off of the irons. Where I notice the biggest difference is on the L/R movement of the ball. I hit this ball straighter than any urethane ball I’ve ever played. Into the wind the ball is light years ahead of he project (a) in my hands.

I’m hitting the ball substantially longer off the tee which I think is mainly due to a bit of increased confidence knowing I am much less likely to hook the ball off the course. I have noticed a bit lower trajectory and a bit more roll (which is great because I hit the ball super high and skinny).

My short game has been unaffected. I played a few different courses in 3 different states while traveling this week and was spinning the ball back on solid wedge shots on all three courses. My ball stopped within 2 feet of the pitch mark on a 221 yard shot with my 3 iron hybrid (srixon z u65). Another stopped within 1 foot on a well struck 2 hybrid (old Adams boxer) into a slight breeze from 226 yards.

Not sure what my swingspeed is as I’m just getting back into playing regularly, but I was somewhere in the 110 range with a driver a few years ago.

As soon as I play through my existing stash of prov1xs and project (a)s I’ll look for a deal on 5 or 6 dozen avx.

It’s a great ball - even if a single tour pro never gives it the time of day - I’m really loving it.

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhat but one also needs to remember the wind cheating aspects of the lower flight and lower spin.

I'm hitting every iron right about 6-7 yards further than with my Chrome Soft. So my 158 6 iron now plays around 165. 2 days ago I was playing a 163 par 3 and a par 5 (17 and 18) into what felt like at least a 1.5 club wind.

17 was playing 163 and the pin was towards the back so I figured I might go over with the 5 and played the 6 figuring it would probably be 15-20 feet short of the pin. Absolutely striped the 6 iron low into the wind and the ball mark was 6 feet past the pin.

On 18 I hit 2 very so-so shots and had that same 6 iron shot into the same wind into 18. Missed the 6 just a tetch and hit the green about 15 feet short of the pin.

Have almost a dozen left of the 2 dozen I bought 5 or 6 weeks ago and just got my 2 dozen order frm the bay so I'll be playing this ball at least through the end of the year.

I found a Rick Shields(?) video last week on the AVX vs ProV1(x ?) and he found the exact same "stats" everyone here is suggesting and Titleist is claiming. Lower trajectory, lower spin, 1/2 club or so more carry.

Somebody earlier mentioned the ball showing up on Tour. I don't think the Tour pros will use it because they're (most likely) already maxing out their launch conditions with a spinnier V1 or V1x (or other brand ball) and going to this ball would bring their height down and spin down forcing them to either adjust their games for the extra distance and lower spin - and let's face it, distance is one thing they DON'T need. Most of US DO. So no real reason for them to play the ball.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

First full round with the avx today. Shot pretty decent for me. Had a somewhat difficult time judging the distance on my irons on a few hole. Especially out of the rough with wedges. Was fairly wet this morning and had some huge fliers and major roll out. But I guess that's to be expected. And as other have said. Very straight iron ball flight. But still seeing consistent distance gains. 1/2 club or so longer. All in all I'm liking it. And I've played the same ball for 27 holes. Not the norm for me.

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Bagboy Nitron 

They won’t play it because it won’t make a difference. Most of not all are already optimized with there current ball so with lower flight and lower spin they would probably just loft up a bit to get back to there optimized flight. Come greenside, they want all the spin they can get and the avx isn’t it. They are good enough to take spin off when playing a wet course where it isn’t needed but they do need every bit of spin they can get when playing a firm green running at 14+. Half a club distance isn’t worth that to them and of course most don’t need it but to be honest giving up spin around the green for 1/2 club isn’t even worth it to me if I played 90% of my golf on rock hard fast greens. FYI, I don’t but my home course can get like that in the summer, no ball marks, even a full lob wedge runs out. Where as after some rain it’ll spin back 20 ft