2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

thepinkbomber

For me the TP5 is interchangeable with an AVX if I want more spin. The TP5 is a phenomenal ball. But low spin off the tee is more important to me than spin around the greens. It can keep shots straighter and help limit the damage on a marginal shot. Trust me, if it’s bad, it’s bad and the ball is gone. But I’m glad I came back to this ball.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I also think this is a good ball. I am high spin and high traj off the tee with most urethane balls, and this helps versus say a Pro V1. I have caught some fliers off of irons though and completely flew greens, which rarely happens to me with other balls. I think I may like K Sigs or Wilson Duo U better - but still continue to rotate all three.

For me the TP5 is interchangeable with an AVX if I want more spin. The TP5 is a phenomenal ball. But low spin off the tee is more important to me than spin around the greens. It can keep shots straighter and help limit the damage on a marginal shot. Trust me, if it’s bad, it’s bad and the ball is gone. But I’m glad I came back to this ball.

So the TP5 had more spin off the tee? Or the AVX?

So the TP5 had more spin off the tee? Or the AVX?

They should be extremely similar in spin with a driver.

AVX will fly lower though.

I might give these a try this weekend. I play a short soft course in my mens club with my dad and have been spinning the balls off the greens. Especially the par 3s that are always short irons. And I could use a flatter trajectory off the tee.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

I guess the shine wore off for me. After playing a dozen over the course of however long a dozen balls lasted me I went back to playing my regular BXS only to find an AVX in my bag yesterday while I was playing. I played it one hole and realized I liked the feel of the BXS much better.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Had a sleeve over the last couple of weeks. Noticed a lower launch from the driver, (2-3 yard overall increase) irons pretty similar just a little lower and a little less spin. Have notice considerable drop off around the greens and 20-30 yards.

Wear and tear is amazing I must say, I have had 1 ball in play 4 and half rounds, and can still be used without worry. I can not make my mind up, sometimes I love it, some times not so much.

Try it see what works best for you, no two people alike.

Mizuno St-Z - 9.5 - Accra Tour Z RPG H
Callaway Epic flash - 15, tensei blue av 75
Ping G410 - 19 Tour Ad DI
Yonex Cb301 pw-7 Cb501 6-4- Modus 120
Titleist Sm8 - 50 - 54 - 58
SIK DW-c

As somebody who has been a big fan of the Z-Star and Kirkland OG, I generally scoff at $45+ golf balls....however, I have seen first hand the benifit for a high spin high launch player enough to agree there could be significant upside for this player type...

Now, just need Dean or Srixon to cater to this category

As somebody who has been a big fan of the Z-Star and Kirkland OG, I generally scoff at $45+ golf balls....however, I have seen first hand the benifit for a high spin high launch player enough to agree there could be significant upside for this player type...

Well Bridgestone did it many years ago with the RX. It’s not as unique as some suggest.

Srixon XV is pretty darn low spin off the driver and Long iron , not as soft as the XV but people who get distance gains from the AVX should give the XV a test as well.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Well Bridgestone did it many years ago with the RX. It’s not as unique as some suggest.

Srixon XV is pretty darn low spin off the driver and Long iron , not as soft as the XV but people who get distance gains from the AVX should give the XV a test as well.

there is no comparison to the XV imo as that thing is hard as a rock vs the AVX. otherwise the XV is an awesome ball.

Had a sleeve over the last couple of weeks. Noticed a lower launch from the driver, (2-3 yard overall increase) irons pretty similar just a little lower and a little less spin. Have notice considerable drop off around the greens and 20-30 yards.

Wear and tear is amazing I must say, I have had 1 ball in play 4 and half rounds, and can still be used without worry. I can not make my mind up, sometimes I love it, some times not so much.

u def have to get used to the spin dif, but once u do it really is playable on any conditions I have played thus far

The difference may be more the lift/drag ratio based on dimple design. The player I am talking about moved from XV to AVX and the difference is very much visible on flight..

NB may disagree with me on this but I also think the launch angle may be slightly less, based on LM data that I have seen.

XV is a great ball btw, for me, and I'll be happy keep using the srixons.

Later generations probably improved but the original B330-RX would not stop on firm greens nor did it spin as much in the short game as AVX. It was very low spin across the board.

NB,have you tried any of the RXS releases?

I thought the original first version played about like a ProV1, more or less. I went through a couple boxes of them and was satisfied with how they worked for me. That same generation RX was a joke though.

The difference may be more the lift/drag ratio based on dimple design. The player I am talking about moved from XV to AVX and the difference is very much visible on flight..

NB may disagree with me on this but I also think the launch angle may be slightly less, based on LM data that I have seen.

XV is a great ball btw, for me, and I'll be happy keep using the srixons.

Seems like the LM stuff on YouTube, etc shows AVX similar or maybe half a degree lower launch angle than ProV1 or most other Tour balls. Unless I’m remembering wrong. So yeah, possibly. slightly lower.

The dimples have a much bigger effect on AVX’s low driver flight. I think it is quite a large difference peak height wise.

there is no comparison to the XV imo as that thing is hard as a rock vs the AVX. otherwise the XV is an awesome ball.

u def have to get used to the spin dif, but once u do it really is playable on any conditions I have played thus far

The 2017 XV is firm but no longer the rock it was in 2013 or 2015. More firm than the AVX but not harsh IMO

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

as long as i can get 5A avx's , i wont play any other ball...just love this ball, if i cant get 5A's , then the next best ball I like is the Snell Black....this ball is just softer then the Snell...thats about the only difference i can see..better players may see more differences, but i played the avx again today, just love it...

Played 9 holes with the AVX this weekend and was definitely intrigued. I usually play the Pro V1/Tour B XS and have definitely noticed some differences

-Lower flight

-Lower spin and longer off of the tee and long/mid irons

-less check than the Pro V1/B XS

-Straighter flight than the Pro V1, similar to the B XS

I definitely benefited from less spin in the longer irons but am so used to having my greenside shots check and release, I am hesitant with the avx. I plan to keep playing with it and report back

The Gist of this thread now again:

:ontopic:

Titleist Ball user: "Titleist released a ball thats soft, flies lower and improved my game instantly!

:smilie_cally:

Callaway Ball user: Nah ah, No they didnt, No you didnt, Copy Cats, not original, Bridgestone did it first. Its not a ProV1, No one on Tour plays it. No Such thing!

:sorry:

Ksig user: Im not paying those prices!! I can buy 12 cases of Toilet Paper, A pallet of water, 5 pairs of Wranglers and a rotisserie chicken for that!

:betty:

Bridgestone user: I have been using that ball for years in the Tour B330RXXrxsSXLMNOP ball

:smilie_tm:

Taylormade User: Too soft and mushy for my 125mph club head speed and didn't have the typical launch window and spins too little for my 230 yard 7 iron approaches, so Im out

bringing up an old post, but this is the best post I have seen on WRX ever

Played 9 holes with the AVX this weekend and was definitely intrigued. I usually play the Pro V1/Tour B XS and have definitely noticed some differences

-Lower flight

I definitely benefited from less spin in the longer irons but am so used to having my greenside shots check and release, I am hesitant with the avx. I plan to keep playing with it and report back

Did some additional short game testing with the AVX yesterday and it definitely does not check up like the Pro V or Tour B XS. You really have to nip it to get it to check up. Probably my only gripe with it. I also noticed when playing short shots around the green it wants to pop in the air. I had a similar experience with the Wilson Duo (not that they are equal). Super soft and wanted to jump up in the air on short chips. Anyone else notice this?

-Lower flight

Did some additional short game testing with the AVX yesterday and it definitely does not check up like the Pro V or Tour B XS. You really have to nip it to get it to check up. Probably my only gripe with it. I also noticed when playing short shots around the green it wants to pop in the air. I had a similar experience with the Wilson Duo (not that they are equal). Super soft and wanted to jump up in the air on short chips. Anyone else notice this?

I have had a handful of short side chips that ran out a bit too much for my liking. To be fair I think the run out of the AVX is a lot less damaging to my score vs the ProV1x chip or pitch that bites too quickly and leaves me short. Atleast when the ball runs past the hole I get a really good look at what my putt coming back looks like. I have made a few 5-6 footers for par with this same scenario.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

-Lower flight

I have had a handful of short side chips that ran out a bit too much for my liking. To be fair I think the run out of the AVX is a lot less damaging to my score vs the ProV1x chip or pitch that bites too quickly and leaves me short. Atleast when the ball runs past the hole I get a really good look at what my putt coming back looks like. I have made a few 5-6 footers for par with this same scenario.

Agreeing with all above but for me the quietness of the AVX wins out.....gonna give a dozen run!

Isn’t it easier to play a bump and run type shot either with a PW or even with lob for a shot you want roll out on but then still have the ability to get one to check when needed than to just say F it and play a ball that doesn’t check when you need it to? And for all the folks who say a ball is better for their game because with their previous ball pitches check and come up short, isn’t it easier to just hit it further then? Like I said I think it’s better to have a ball that can check up when needed than to have a ball that doesn’t because it can check too much and come up short when you could just throw it closer to begin with.

Not calling out the above poster, many have said this before and like I said why not just throw it closer to the hole? If it checks up then you are right next to the hole and if it doesn’t, then it rolls by just like the ball you replaced it with.

Does that make sense or am I just crazy? Lol

This isn’t really avx specific as there are obviously other attributes guys use it for

Isn’t it easier to play a bump and run type shot either with a PW or even with lob for a shot you want roll out on but then still have the ability to get one to check when needed than to just say F it and play a ball that doesn’t check when you need it to? And for all the folks who say a ball is better for their game because with their previous ball pitches check and come up short, isn’t it easier to just hit it further then? Like I said I think it’s better to have a ball that can check up when needed than to have a ball that doesn’t because it can check too much and come up short when you could just throw it closer to begin with.

Not calling out the above poster, many have said this before and like I said why not just throw it closer to the hole? If it checks up then you are right next to the hole and if it doesn’t, then it rolls by just like the ball you replaced it with.

Does that make sense or am I just crazy? Lol

This isn’t really avx specific as there are obviously other attributes guys use it for

Yes, the checking shot is more predictable.....but for my paltry game that added 8-10 yds with my irons helps so much....plus I LOVE the feel! Other low compression balls haven't given some of the qualities found in this ball....having said that, I need to play a few more rounds with it only for confirmation....

I do get the 'more roll out argument' a little bit but for me even at my handicap I prefer a ball that is consistent even if it rolls out a few extra yards.

I used to play the Pro V1 and would have the odd zipper with a full SW that never helped me when it would come back 20 feet. I'd hit the odd greenside shot that would one hop and stop when I was playing for a few yards of roll etc.

I know the AVX will roll out a bit. No big deal as I just play the extra roll. I hit a full six iron today that rolled maybe 3 yards once it hit the green.

I'm a big fan of this ball. I enjoy the lower flight and longer drives/irons. (I'm seeing at least 5-7 yards from top to bottom) as a 3 handicapper I've been able to adjust relatively quickly...

Found one and loved it. Passed it on to a buddy who works the pro shop at my club and he loved it enough he ordered 12 dozen for the shop and they are flying off the shelf. He then bought a dozen for himself and went out and had the low score fir his PAT. He believes in them enough to give uo his Provs .

Found one and loved it. Passed it on to a buddy who works the pro shop at my club and he loved it enough he ordered 12 dozen for the shop and they are flying off the shelf. He then bought a dozen for himself and went out and had the low score fir his PAT. He believes in them enough to give uo his Provs .

If they are new to the shop they would indeed be selling fast , if they continue to sell then that’s a whole different story

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow