2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

thepinkbomber

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/what-brandel-chamblee-had-in-the-bag-at-the-senior-british-open?mbid=social_facebook

Chamblee had it in play per the article. Article calling the AVX, “tour caliber”

So he probably makes the cut if he played a ProV?

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

https://www.golfdige...social_facebook

Chamblee had it in play per the article. Article calling the AVX, “tour caliber”

So far the only source saying this is golfdigest, which to me I have to question only because they said the irons he was playing were not identified.

You can identify a small ball less than 1.625" in diameter but not a 2-3" club head?

If it was a marketing stunt, he should have played the yellow because it would have drawn more interest and discussion.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

My guess is he was paid to play that particular ball or it was a prototype rebranded.

If it was a prototype re-branded as an AVX it would have to be listed on the USGA conforming ball list with a different sidestamp. Only two balls on the USGA list as an AVX. The current white and yellow version.

Is what it is. I could care less if he (Chamblee) was/wasn’t playing it. Simply shared it because a player playing in a tour event has not been seen playing this ball yet (to my limited knowledge). Is it a tour caliber ball? To the majority of tour player no, it’s not. Should it be in more amateurs bags then a ProV? Absolutely.

Okay so is anyone actually using or comparing these to other balls lately? I have to ask since the thread got derailed quite awhile ago!

I played it for nine holes today and I like the ball. It seems to be good for me off any club used and the putter too!

WTH is happening to this thread?

Bought a sleeve of AVX today and played a round with them. The first ball went for a swim at the second hole but the second one stayed with me the rest of the round. Compared to Z-Star XV here are some first impressions:

1) Certainly feels harder but I don't mind, like it especially with the putter.

2) Not sure whether this is expected but the ball didn't go anywhere in the wind. Leaving lots of shots really short and it wasn't even a very windy day in local standards. Long game in general was off today but and don't think I can blame the ball for that. Don't think it's the ball that hits the poor shots.

3) I was also playing my first round with new wedges (MD4 54* and 58*) and those wedges and this ball are magic for the short game. The AVX certainly runs more than XV and getting it to check takes a bit of trying. Lot of the chips I was sure would stay short of the hole ran well past it.

4) Seems nice and durable so no drama on that front.

5) I like the yellow color, maybe a bit more shiny than Srixon yellow.

No magic bullet there but let's see where the retail price settles in Australia. Has to be comparable to XV to justify the move but I suspect it will be a lot more expensive.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

If you are a high ball/ high spin player, the AVX is a game changer if you were previously play a ProV1/ProV1x.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Okay so is anyone actually using or comparing these to other balls lately? I have to ask since the thread got derailed quite awhile ago!

I played it for nine holes today and I like the ball. It seems to be good for me off any club used and the putter too!

Bought a sleeve of AVX today and played a round with them. The first ball went for a swim at the second hole but the second one stayed with me the rest of the round. Compared to Z-Star XV here are some first impressions:

2) Not sure whether this is expected but the ball didn't go anywhere in the wind. Leaving lots of shots really short and it wasn't even a very windy day in local standards. Long game in general was off today but and don't think I can blame the ball for that. Don't think it's the ball that hits the poor shots.

3) I was also playing my first round with new wedges (MD4 54* and 58*) and those wedges and this ball are magic for the short game. The AVX certainly runs more than XV and getting it to check takes a bit of trying. Lot of the chips I was sure would stay short of the hole ran well past it.

No magic bullet there but let's see where the retail price settles in Australia. Has to be comparable to XV to justify the move but I suspect it will be a lot more expensive.

The AVX is the same price as the Prov1 here in the states. I don't see why that would be any different down under.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

The AVX is the same price as the Prov1 here in the states. I don't see why that would be any different down under.

Thank you. That makes it a lot more expensive than Z-Star XV which is easily available on deals. Not as good deals as you get in North America but still pretty OK. I can see that the AVX is good for winter golf and soft greens but come summer (it is very hot and dry here) and the thoroughly baked links greens the extra run compared to Z-Star XV may be a problem challenge around the greens.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

You can clearly see I mention what balls I normally play, then Zakers replied with the spinnest ball comment, then I replied. This isn't rocket surgery.

I don't like using the quote on multiple replies because it will be a long chain and bogs the forum down.

I don't keep a handicap, its the equivalent of "Whats your bench bro?" or "how fast is your mile?". I have good days and bad days like everyone else.

Like I said, I'll give them another go. I was really excited when I found it because I had read this thread (and others) and then coincidentally I found one basically new. I was pumped to try it after all the "reviews". Oh well

You're right, it isn't rocket surgery (whatever THAT is) but the topic is the AVX.

Your concern for the forum is admirable if a bit misguided but how about on single replies ? Personally I would rather have my post be CLEAR to others rather than worry about something the board didn't even worry about when they made up their posting rules - but maybe that's just me.

You don't keep a handicap. OK, so I notice you didn't bother telling us approximately what you shoot for 18 holes which might have been a logical addition to your reply but whatever,,,,,,,,,,,

And you were "pumped to try it after all the "reviews". Oh well" ??? Sounds like you're ready to give it a real try - NOT. LOL

I’m not standing up for anyone, just simply calling it how I see it. No need to get YOUR panties in a bunch also. I never claimed he did extensive testing but putting it in play for the first time on the back nine and shooting -2 vs the +4 shot in the front with another ball isn’t exactly extensive either but people seem to go along with that because they are agreeing with them.

I’m not quite sure why my post got you so riled up, it’s just a thread on a golf ball on a golf forum on the Internet. You getting your panties in a bunch and going off on me and the poster that talked about the ball in the first place only proved my point, I’m not upset about anything, again just pointing out I noticed someone getting borderline attacked for posting their opinion on a golf ball. People have different opinions and different balls react differently for different people, isn’t that what some are saying? You know the ones that cut their handicaps in half and transformed their games since playing this ball? I find that just as, if not more ridiculous than someone forming an opinion about a golf ball by only playing it for a few holes.

Didn’t mean to reply to this post btw

Played a practice round today, with two balls in play, front 9 it was Pro V1 against AVX, the V1 is what i play, so i noticed no huge difference in distance, minimal difference in feel and could play either, the only real difference, which stated before was the shot i play a bit, which is a 54 wedge in low with check, i struggle to get the distance right with the V1 as it sometimes bites too much, the AVX seems easier for me to get closer with, even chipped into the hole once.

Back 9 i switched out the V1 to a TP5 and i have to say i do love the TP5, again no real difference in distance, i think the TP5 had it on more holes than the AVX, the AVX does a little better in wind.

From playing the AVX over the past few weeks, and testing it against many balls what i can say is:

Distance: it is good, but there's not a lot in it between the Pro V1, TP5, CS, Tour Soft, DT Trusoft or Velocity, they all operate within a few yards of each other to be fair. I can't really mention any X balls as i don't hit them well, so unfair to put them in this.

Height: it is low, i really noticed that today, i'm not sure i will be using this in winter, i may switch back to Pro V1, or the TP5 which i am getting more impressed with the more i use.

Spin: As stated many times, i am personally not good enough to use the spin properly on a premium high spin ball, it can bite when i don't want it, leaving me short, which is the shot i hate seeing, i also prefer playing higher flop shots to avoid this, the AVX does seem to be a little less prone to doing this for me, not to say it doesn't spin well, just doesn't seem to have that weird mega high spin stopper that i get with the pro v1 sometimes.

Overall, i have to say i could play a TP5, CS18, Pro V1 or AVX and be happy, i find the AVX is as good as the others overall, weak in some areas, but strong in many, same as the others. It is definitely a try before you buy, those expecting massive changes will be let down, those wanting just a minor improvement in one or two areas might enjoy trying this, dependent on what they're after.

Solid review. This is on par with the reaction most folks I know have to the ball

You can clearly see I mention what balls I normally play, then Zakers replied with the spinnest ball comment, then I replied. This isn't rocket surgery.

I don't like using the quote on multiple replies because it will be a long chain and bogs the forum down.

I don't keep a handicap, its the equivalent of "Whats your bench bro?" or "how fast is your mile?". I have good days and bad days like everyone else.

Like I said, I'll give them another go. I was really excited when I found it because I had read this thread (and others) and then coincidentally I found one basically new. I was pumped to try it after all the "reviews". Oh well

You're right, it isn't rocket surgery (whatever THAT is) but the topic is the AVX.

Your concern for the forum is admirable if a bit misguided but how about on single replies ? Personally I would rather have my post be CLEAR to others rather than worry about something the board didn't even worry about when they made up their posting rules - but maybe that's just me.

You don't keep a handicap. OK, so I notice you didn't bother telling us approximately what you shoot for 18 holes which might have been a logical addition to your reply but whatever,,,,,,,,,,,

And you were "pumped to try it after all the "reviews". Oh well" ??? Sounds like you're ready to give it a real try - NOT. LOL

Im not standing up for anyone, just simply calling it how I see it. No need to get YOUR panties in a bunch also. I never claimed he did extensive testing but putting it in play for the first time on the back nine and shooting -2 vs the +4 shot in the front with another ball isnt exactly extensive either but people seem to go along with that because they are agreeing with them.

Im not quite sure why my post got you so riled up, its just a thread on a golf ball on a golf forum on the Internet. You getting your panties in a bunch and going off on me and the poster that talked about the ball in the first place only proved my point, Im not upset about anything, again just pointing out I noticed someone getting borderline attacked for posting their opinion on a golf ball. People have different opinions and different balls react differently for different people, isnt that what some are saying? You know the ones that cut their handicaps in half and transformed their games since playing this ball? I find that just as, if not more ridiculous than someone forming an opinion about a golf ball by only playing it for a few holes.

Didnt mean to reply to this post btw

Hey man, I’m one of those “handicap in half cutters” you are talking about. For the record. You made this up in your own mind that I said it’s the main reason. Look back at every single post I ever talked about the AVX. Never once did I say the AVX was the sole purpose for my handicap dropping in half. You made this up in your own head. You and a few others, for some reason, took my words of the AVX being a “game changer” and changed it to “the sole purpose of my handicap dropping in half.” Never once did I say this, but rather you and a few others made this up in your own minds and claim it repeatedly on this forum. This is what I find ridiculous.

I'm not standing up for anyone, just simply calling it how I see it. No need to get YOUR panties in a bunch also. I never claimed he did extensive testing but putting it in play for the first time on the back nine and shooting -2 vs the +4 shot in the front with another ball isn't exactly extensive either but people seem to go along with that because they are agreeing with them.

I'm not quite sure why my post got you so riled up, it's just a thread on a golf ball on a golf forum on the Internet. You getting your panties in a bunch and going off on me and the poster that talked about the ball in the first place only proved my point, I'm not upset about anything, again just pointing out I noticed someone getting borderline attacked for posting their opinion on a golf ball. People have different opinions and different balls react differently for different people, isn't that what some are saying? You know the ones that cut their handicaps in half and transformed their games since playing this ball? I find that just as, if not more ridiculous than someone forming an opinion about a golf ball by only playing it for a few holes.

Didn't mean to reply to this post btw

I don't really have any idea who you're replying to but if you've made an error why not EDIT your post ?

But if you ARE referring to me, let me know and I'll reply.

TIA

Titleist Pro V1X

I'm not standing up for anyone, just simply calling it how I see it. No need to get YOUR panties in a bunch also. I never claimed he did extensive testing but putting it in play for the first time on the back nine and shooting -2 vs the +4 shot in the front with another ball isn't exactly extensive either but people seem to go along with that because they are agreeing with them.

I'm not quite sure why my post got you so riled up, it's just a thread on a golf ball on a golf forum on the Internet. You getting your panties in a bunch and going off on me and the poster that talked about the ball in the first place only proved my point, I'm not upset about anything, again just pointing out I noticed someone getting borderline attacked for posting their opinion on a golf ball. People have different opinions and different balls react differently for different people, isn't that what some are saying? You know the ones that cut their handicaps in half and transformed their games since playing this ball? I find that just as, if not more ridiculous than someone forming an opinion about a golf ball by only playing it for a few holes.

I don't really have any idea who you're replying to but if you've made an error why not EDIT your post ?

TIA

I like AVX!

Sorry. Didn't mean to reply to this post.

Oh No! A Tour Pro playing the AVX! The Haters are going to come out in droves!!

AVX new haters claiming:

1) Its a prototype ball and not a real AVX

2) Titleist paid him to not use anything other then a ProV1

3) AVX is only a winterball because people on GolfWRX who are 1 handicaps cant spin a wedge shot.

4) AVX is too hard of a ball now,,ha ha

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

AVX new haters claiming:

3) AVX is only a winterball because people on GolfWRX who are 1 handicaps cant spin a wedge shot.

5) Chamblee is a tool and I’d never use any ball he endorses

TIA

It wouldn’t let me reply to your posts because they were too long so figured I’d reply to a post with basically the conversation we were having.

I’m not standing up for anyone, just simply calling it how I see it. No need to get YOUR panties in a bunch also. I never claimed he did extensive testing but putting it in play for the first time on the back nine and shooting -2 vs the +4 shot in the front with another ball isn’t exactly extensive either but people seem to go along with that because they are agreeing with them.

I’m not quite sure why my post got you so riled up, it’s just a thread on a golf ball on a golf forum on the Internet. You getting your panties in a bunch and going off on me and the poster that talked about the ball in the first place only proved my point, I’m not upset about anything, again just pointing out I noticed someone getting borderline attacked for posting their opinion on a golf ball. People have different opinions and different balls react differently for different people, isn’t that what some are saying? You know the ones that cut their handicaps in half and transformed their games since playing this ball? I find that just as, if not more ridiculous than someone forming an opinion about a golf ball by only playing it for a few holes.

Didn’t mean to reply to this post btw

Hey man, I’m one of those “handicap in half cutters” you are talking about. For the record. You made this up in your own mind that I said it’s the main reason. Look back at every single post I ever talked about the AVX. Never once did I say the AVX was the sole purpose for my handicap dropping in half. You made this up in your own head. You and a few others, for some reason, took my words of the AVX being a “game changer” and changed it to “the sole purpose of my handicap dropping in half.” Never once did I say this, but rather you and a few others made this up in your own minds and claim it repeatedly on this forum. This is what I find ridiculous.

We’ve talked about this already so I’d rather not get into it again, and I wasn’t specifically referring to you, there are others that have said something similar, calling it a unicorn ball or whatever. I’m not saying it’s the only reason for your improvement but you do claim it to be a large part of the reason as well as a few others claiming they have shot multiple best rounds with it and when going back to a ProV their score goes up multiple shots.

I’m simply pointing out that I believe that is no more “ridiculous” or conclusive than is forming a negative opinion of the ball after playing 9-36 holes or however many the guy claims he played. When that happened some of the same people who complained about the exact thing you are(ball works for me, different for others etc.) went on the offensive and basically claimed he was wrong.

That is all. No reason to go into this more, didn’t see my one post turning into this.

AVX new haters claiming:

Wasn’t a “game changer” for him. Was just like every other ball he ever played.

That is all. No reason to go into this more, didn't see my one post turning into this.

Perhaps you might re-think the "panties in a bunch" and "You can't have it both ways people" phrases ? You have to admit phrases that that are pretty provocative and just begging for a response, no ?

I think the majority of posters around here are smart enough to understand that a few rounds of better or worse scores with one ball or another aren't conclusive (or at least I hope they would).

I won't pretend to remember the entire 22 pages of posts but I don't recall any "unicorn" type remarks noir do I recall any particular feistiness either. So when a high no handicapper comes out of nowhere, finds a ball, plays a few 9 holes and concludes it's not for him when many others around here have played it quite a bit more and almost surely have a better handle on how the ball performs, do you NOT expect him to get some pushback ?

Titleist Pro V1X

AVX new haters claiming:

Wasn’t a “game changer” for him. Was just like every other ball he ever played.

I guess his opinion is as valid as anyone's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ;)

Titleist Pro V1X

I have certainly determined that a ball doesn't suit me after just nine hole or whatever. I tend not to comment on it publicly and I certainly do not make detailed claims about how much it spins or whatever. Just too easily to say something silly and look a fool when you're based it on virtually no actual information.

I have certainly determined that a ball doesn't suit me after just nine hole or whatever. I tend not to comment on it publicly and I certainly do not make detailed claims about how much it spins or whatever. Just too easily to say something silly and look a fool when you're based it on virtually no actual information.

Well I know for a fact having not played the ball EVER that it will not spin for me on approach shots, goes WAY to far and messes up my yardage I am used to and flies like a worm burner..... ALL from just reading this thread :rofl:

Edit: on a real note though ,everyone I know who has played it for a decent amount of time, 80% like it and 20% don't.

tried it yesterday. High ball, but medium spin player. Usually play TP5x or 2017 pro-v1x. Definitely lower off the driver, but didn't see much difference in height off irons and wedges. Full shot spin into greens seemed pretty normal, I didn't feel like i was getting more release. didn't have any opportunities to try low spinning chips, but that's not a shot I use a lot anyway.

Wasn't that windy, but performed way worse in the wind, especially cross-wind.

I'll probably play through the dozen then go from there - it made a big enough difference in driver height to continue, and didn't seem to lose much except for wind.

tried it yesterday. High ball, but medium spin player. Usually play TP5x or 2017 pro-v1x. Definitely lower off the driver, but didn't see much difference in height off irons and wedges. Full shot spin into greens seemed pretty normal, I didn't feel like i was getting more release. didn't have any opportunities to try low spinning chips, but that's not a shot I use a lot anyway.

I'll probably play through the dozen then go from there - it made a big enough difference in driver height to continue, and didn't seem to lose much except for wind.

This is where alot of the confusion comes from and the disagreements. I would say 90% of the reviews say its the best wind ball period. I have personally never played with a ball that does not drift or balloon while playing in wind like the AVX. Probably more information about what equipment is being used and what your normal launch conditions are like would be helpful.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

The wind was maybe 5-10 mph. Left to right wind, I hit a wedge shot 105, pulled it a touch, the wind probably drifted it back 3 yards to the right, but the divot and bounce were basically perpendicular to the line that I started it on. So it started with a late movement (the hole is below a hill, so the wind only impacted it probably 50% of its flight time), but still it had a bigger impact than I thought. Another left to right wind, with a driver, it probably pushed it 10 yards right of the line it started on, and if anything I move the ball right to left.

So my limited experience of 9 holes, it did not perform as well in a cross-wind as TP5x's. It wasn't awful, but I guess I wasn't expecting it or playing to it. Also both balls were well-struck.

I also hit a PW and a 56* a little farther than expected with the wind at my back, but tough to tell if that was just good contact, the ball going farther than my normal ball, the wind, or all 3?

Playing a lot over the next week so I should have a better feel for it.

This is where alot of the confusion comes from and the disagreements. I would say 90% of the reviews say its the best wind ball period. I have personally never played with a ball that does not drift or balloon while playing in wind like the AVX. Probably more information about what equipment is being used and what your normal launch conditions are like would be helpful.

That's where I am. It performs in the wind and holds it's line for me. "Cuts through the wind" is overused, but it really does. So does the TP5, which I liked as well, but the AVX spun less in the air and just went straighter.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!