2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

thepinkbomber

Where it really comes into its own is during our Autumn when the course plays its firmest and fastest. Any ball will roll a long way (assuming it is in the fairway!) on tee shots but the AVX is amazing. Last Fall I had a handful of driver shots get within 80 yards of the green on holes where my approach is normally 120 or 130.

But obviously I like it for the overall way it suits my game. Six or eight weeks a year of silly-long tee shots would not really tempt me into switching balls because any ball will roll a long way under those conditions.

Golf is a different game when the fairways are dry and rock hard. That is the conditions I learned the game on (unirrigated cheap public course). When you can get 50+ yards of roll it means the ONLY thing that matters fof the tee is accuracy. Because a weak-a** drive that rolls down the fairway is better than a much “longer” one that lands in the rough and stops.

Maybe that’s why I like AVX. It is a little echo of how I played a quarter century ago using a wooden 3-wood and a rock-hard Dunlop DDH ball. Except AVX will actually stop on a green rather than having to land 10-15 yards short and bounce it on.

Less spin only works with a shyteload more launch and trajectory.

Doubt it, maybe on the PGA Tour, where you have fast greens and pro's who are getting the full spin out of the ball, most of us on here are playing greens that aren't anywhere as fast, not hitting all shots into greens that well, and for the majority of amateurs, we're hitting short of the pin most of the time anyway, so less spin may work better for most!

Nope.

I see the majority of amateurs hit low knuckleballs that run through greens or up onto greens. The last thing they need is lower launch and less spin.

Maybe you guys get more rain and/or have superior agronomy in your part of the world. But in my experience most amateurs need more spin with their balls or irons, not less.

I think you're missing the point here. It's not so much whether it's a better ball for high, or any, handicappers as it is simply a ball with somewhat different characteristics on (fairly(?)) well hit shots.

Nobody dismisses a driver because someone says "This driver's terrible. All I can do is top the ball"

High handicapper or not, if you're going to "miss" a shot so badly that it produces low line drives/knuckleballs when the shot calls for "normal" height, the ball won't make any difference anyway.

And those guys "running it up" to the greens are short hitters that NEED the very low spin ball to even reach the green. More spin would result in them being much more short than they already are.

This ball, or any ball actually, is simply a ball with certain characteristics. If it works for you, fine. If not, use a different one that does. Easy peasy.

I like to play pin high or short as uphill puts are much easier , especially for a golfer who only gets 60-70 rounds per year.

Also scrambling for Par is usually easier from off the front of the green so it’s actually a strategy to play a little short on most holes. (Unless a front pin tucked behind a bunker or just over water). Normally if I have. 170 shot to the pin my club I pull is my 165 club and not my 175 club for example. Pros can take a little off when they need too, I simply know my limitations.

Surely you play courses that have greens that slope both front to back and back to front?

Also, I didn't think previous posters were suggesting that they deliberately keep the ball short. I thought they were arguing that they sometimes hit it short due to a poor strike?

Agreed, mishits for sure.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Thats cool NSX.

I am definitely not missing the point at all. Someone suggested that most players need less spin. I maintain that most players need more spin.

What are your thoughts on my point about being able to 'take spin off' a shot but not being able to 'add spin' when you need it. Did you watch the video that I linked? It is quite compelling. Spin appears to be a 'dirty word' with a lot of players but most of them need it more than they think they do.

Your comment about 'play a different ball that works for you' is strange. I know what works for me and I am not talking about that. I am actually trying to better understand why someone would argue that most players need less spin. It makes no sense to me.

I'm sure some muppet will jump in and say that this is off topic but I think it is relevant to a discussion about AVX given its low spin properties.

Bought a sleeve today and took them out for 9 holes, and must admit I'm not entirely sure what to make of them. Playing into and around greens they were great, stopped quickly from irons, easily controlled on chips shots and felt good, if slightly soft off the putter.

However wasn't too impressed with them off the tee. I hit 2 drives on most holes, one with an AVX and one with my reference ball, the RZN Tour Black. The AVX definitely flew lower, but weirdly, despite flying lower they were more affected by cross winds. They were also typically about 10 yards shorter and not as straight.

Going to try them again in the medal tomorrow, but so far, a good ball but not a replacement for my trusty RZNs, so the search for what to play next goes on. Good job I've got 8 dozen of the Nikes left :)

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

RZN Tour black is my main ball (RIP) as well Bodhi and honestly the AVX has been the only ball since the RZN to make me go "Hmm I could switch to this!"

I have 6 dozen Nike's in the Volt color left so I wont have to worry about it until next season sometime, but I've tried any premium or good yellow ball out there this year and the AVX is at the top of the heap.

I use a yellow ball as well. Primarily Chrome Soft and sometimes the Project a. I’ve tried the AVX and both of the ones I mentioned are better imo. The AVX is a good ball but nothing special. If you like Titleist, less spin, and paying more then it could be your go to ball.

This is my knock on the ball as well . $48 for a ball that performance wise is $35 at best. The B-RX is overpriced as well so it’s not like I am bashing only Titleist here. Even $39.99 would be appropriate (not for me as I always buy discount) I just don’t see it being worth the MSRP.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I am your average mid handi, i am not good enough to see "low ball" flight off tee...what i see with this ball is great feel off all clubs, which is important to me...i see low spin off driver for most part, but an erratic hit is erratic, no matter what ball you use...i am mid handi, so I am not a spin doctor with wedge, but the avx does stop decently. to me its an all around good ball for me, i get the 5A's for $30, so i am ok with that, if i couldnt , i would play the Snell MTBlack, which is a great ball, again I like feel, and the AVX is softer then the Snell..

I am your average mid handi, i am not good enough to see "low ball" flight off tee...what i see with this ball is great feel off all clubs, which is important to me...i see low spin off driver for most part, but an erratic hit is erratic, no matter what ball you use...i am mid handi, so I am not a spin doctor with wedge, but the avx does stop decently. to me its an all around good ball for me, i get the 5A's for $30, so i am ok with that, if i couldnt , i would play the Snell MTBlack, which is a great ball, again I like feel, and the AVX is softer then the Snell..

If you like feel/soft balls, don’t see the low ball flight of the avx, and want greenside spin there are a lot of other options that will be softer and have more greenside spin; and be cheaper(new, aka in stores). Tour B RXS(only slightly cheaper), prior gen B330RXS, prior gen chrome soft, Q star tour etc.

If you just like AVX and are cool with ordering used by all means do it. Just pointing out that, for what it seems that you like about the avx, there are other balls that will do it better(softer, more greenside spin) for less or equal new

Thats cool NSX.

I am definitely not missing the point at all. Someone suggested that most players need less spin. I maintain that most players need more spin.

What are your thoughts on my point about being able to 'take spin off' a shot but not being able to 'add spin' when you need it. Did you watch the video that I linked? It is quite compelling. Spin appears to be a 'dirty word' with a lot of players but most of them need it more than they think they do.

Your comment about 'play a different ball that works for you' is strange. I know what works for me and I am not talking about that. I am actually trying to better understand why someone would argue that most players need less spin. It makes no sense to me.

I'm sure some muppet will jump in and say that this is off topic but I think it is relevant to a discussion about AVX given its low spin properties.

Someone called? ;)

Outside the skilled golfers (and enthusiasts on this forum) I don't think a typical golfer knows or cares about the spin they are really getting. In fact, I rarely play with people who care much about the ball at all. Just something you whack at, try to fish out of the pond and look for in the trees. They care about distance and if someone tells them they will get more distance with this ball then they may try but if it's very expensive and won't deliver clear improvements most won't bother. Yet, most - unlike yours truly deluded - are smart enough to figure out it's relly their swing, not the equipment, that delivers the distance.

But for those who care (myself included), it's not impossible that there is a huge disparity in the numbers they get vs. the numbers they think they get. Example: After picking up the game again after being AWOL I've been hitting everything really high and spinning the living jesus out of the ball. Even long irons go crazy high and spin way too much and as a result I don't get much distance or any run. WRONG!

Walked my ears red and embarrassed out of Drummond where they put me in the simulator and I saw how screwed up my numbers were. Some serious flipping going on (ergo: height, no run, no distance), and now that I fixed that I've gained good two club lengths of distance. The flight is good and the ball actually spins properly.

Do I notice a big difference between balls? Not really, except around the greens. And to me that's what matters the most. I will keep playing the AVX until they all sleep with the fish but I doubt I will switch. Come summer and baked greens at the Mornington Peninsula I will need each bit of spin I can get around them. If need be, I can reduce the spin (to some extent) but there is only so much you can add on the little shots.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

Played 18 with one again on Sunday and have found a lot to like about this ball. Very long off the tee (baked out fairways meant I had a couple of drives over 320+ from my usual 270) and excellent stopping power into greens from mid irons - I got a 5 iron to drop and stop on a hard green from about 180 yards away. Also like the feel off the putter.

Sadly I played a couple of chip and runs that would normally check up with a RZN/Pro V1/Tour B that just carried on rolling out, so I'm thinking this ball will be worth revisiting when the course softens up a bit, but for now I will stick to the Nikes. The price of these is a bit steep over here as well - £42 for a Dozen, when the Tour B's were 32....

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Have to say, reading some of the replies, i still haven't found this ball that much longer than the others, played the Pro V1 against it again today in a practice round and they're much the same in distance, i just feel the AVX is a little more forgiving in the wind with mishits and so on, but only just, same with the level of spin on mishits, it's just a bit more predictable compared to a higher spin ball (and we're only talking 10% more spin on most shots!).

I did notice today doing a 1 v 1 practice with the AVX vs V1 that the AVX does appear to have a little less durability, but this does seem to plateau, so it looks worse after a few holes, but pretty much stays the same way, probably due to the dimple pattern more than material i'm guessing.

played this ball again today...the feel , forgiveness off driver wow distance...i hit a 7 iron 170 with it, not boasting or bragging, just someting i have never done thats all...great distance, and super feel....and the 5A's are affordable

In what way was the ball "forgiving" off the driver?

well, i struggle off driver, and it was the best driving day i have had in along time, not saying it was all the ball, but it was a coincedence... my misshits werent super erratic..you dont think its forgiving? or asking? i was hitting the ball long too, i dont see the low launch aspect its supposed to have, i am not that good to see that

played this ball again today...the feel , forgiveness off driver wow distance...i hit a 7 iron 170 with it, not boasting or bragging, just someting i have never done thats all...great distance, and super feel....and the 5A's are affordable

well, i struggle off driver, and it was the best driving day i have had in along time, not saying it was all the ball, but it was a coincedence... my misshits werent super erratic..you dont think its forgiving? or asking? i was hitting the ball long too, i dont see the low launch aspect its supposed to have, i am not that good to see that

I also struggle with driver so I'm curious what you meant. Sounds like your misses were less offline which is what I need.

I also struggle with driver so I'm curious what you meant. Sounds like your misses were less offline which is what I need.

oh ok , so you were asking, cool...no ball is a miracle worker...i know there are mixed reviews about this ball, but i really like it...i love the feel most of all...i felt i got awesome distance, just a great ball...and as i have said a millions times, i get the 5A's, so they are affordable....

I'm not trying to sell this ball to anyone here and obviously everyones results will be different. Some of what I'm saying is a negative for my own game too:

I had my matchplay semi-final at my club on Wednesday. I put this ball in play instead of my normal ball and it was from tee to green an easy 10 yards longer. I couldnt believe it. I usually play a Srixon XV or my Nike tour black, but this ball feels soft and goes for miles.

On the first four holes I was over the pin by 10 yards on well struck golf balls, the driver flew noticeably lower and rolled out more. Off the driver the lack of spin kept it in play a little easier than some balls IMO.

It was cool to hit it so much further but it definitely did not help my score. I need to phase this ball in and adjust properly because it can be a real eye opener if you arent paying attention and you sail a green because you hit your normal iron and this ball just carries over your target...

It’s odd that some are claiming to see an increase of ~10 and others nothing. Maybe it’s the players that, whether they know it or not, were playing with too much spin previously? Only I find that a little hard to believe because majority of players don’t struggle with too much spin except for driver possibly. Generally it’s the better player or someone with a high SS which again, those categories of players are not very large. Also by the numbers we’ve seen it’s not like the AVX is the lowest spinning ball nor does it have the highest ball speed on the market so you would think those players would have tried a similar ball(lower spin) at some point before.

Not calling anyone out/a liar, just genuinely find it weird.

It’s odd that some are claiming to see an increase of ~10 and others nothing. Maybe it’s the players that, whether they know it or not, were playing with too much spin previously? Only I find that a little hard to believe because majority of players don’t struggle with too much spin except for driver possibly. Generally it’s the better player or someone with a high SS which again, those categories of players are not very large. Also by the numbers we’ve seen it’s not like the AVX is the lowest spinning ball nor does it have the highest ball speed on the market so you would think those players would have tried a similar ball(lower spin) at some point before.

I don’t think you will find a Urethane cover ball with lower iron spin than AVX. Something like 15% less spin off a 7-iron for average clubhead speeds. That’s going to add a bit of distance for most people. The trajectory is pretty low as well.

The driver trajectory is very low so the ball has a very flat landing angle. Adds some roll at least when conditions are not soft.

But both of those are going to depend on what your iron spin or driver flight is like with other balls. It’s a significant difference but not overwhelming.

It's odd that some are claiming to see an increase of ~10 and others nothing. Maybe it's the players that, whether they know it or not, were playing with too much spin previously? Only I find that a little hard to believe because majority of players don't struggle with too much spin except for driver possibly. Generally it's the better player or someone with a high SS which again, those categories of players are not very large. Also by the numbers we've seen it's not like the AVX is the lowest spinning ball nor does it have the highest ball speed on the market so you would think those players would have tried a similar ball(lower spin) at some point before.

Totally fair question.

I would say I'm a low capper with 70+ rounds in so far this year, most with the same two types of balls...So I know my game, yardages etc.

This ball comes out lower and spins less :::for me:::

Not saying it has helped my score one bit at all, just noting what I observed.

I don’t think you will find a Urethane cover ball with lower iron spin than AVX. Something like 15% less spin off a 7-iron for average clubhead speeds. That’s going to add a bit of distance for most people. The trajectory is pretty low as well.

The driver trajectory is very low so the ball has a very flat landing angle. Adds some roll at least when conditions are not soft.

But both of those are going to depend on what your iron spin or driver flight is like with other balls. It’s a significant difference but not overwhelming.

You could be right, would be interesting to see how the numbers compare to the TP5s as I think those are a relatively lower spinning urethane ball with the irons.

I did a bunch of Google searching and looked through quite a few launch monitor tests. No AVX vs TP5 head to head but I found plenty of AVX vs ProV1 and some TP5 vs ProV1 numbers. Off a 7-iron TP5 spins 5-10% less than ProV1 while AVX is about 15% less.

I briefly tried TP5 and thought is was indeed kind of in between. A little bit of extra iron distance (similar to AVX) but did not see the low trajectory and extra roll on my driver shots. Off the tee TP5 was like ‘most any other Urethane ball but it seemed fairly low spin off the irons, even if not as extreme as AVX.