2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

thepinkbomber

They wont play it because it wont make a difference. Most of not all are already optimized with there current ball so with lower flight and lower spin they would probably just loft up a bit to get back to there optimized flight. Come greenside, they want all the spin they can get and the avx isnt it. They are good enough to take spin off when playing a wet course where it isnt needed but they do need every bit of spin they can get when playing a firm green running at 14+. Half a club distance isnt worth that to them and of course most dont need it but to be honest giving up spin around the green for 1/2 club isnt even worth it to me if I played 90% of my golf on rock hard fast greens. FYI, I dont but my home course can get like that in the summer, no ball marks, even a full lob wedge runs out. Where as after some rain itll spin back 20 ft

100% agree. I will add if the greens are so soft you can spin just about anything good enough, why would you play a $48 Urethane ball that has mid spin at best ?

I am not a Titleist fan at all but I would think those that are could probably save $$ and play the TourSoft just the same , or even the velocity.

I don’t think the AVX is bad, I’ve

Played it a few rounds and found it did nothing special for me personally. I just don’t think the performance justifies the price but if it is the Lighting in a Bottle for other that’s fine, just curious how many ball they have tried or if they simply went from ProV to AVX

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I tried AVX for ten months then went back to ProV1x. For about four rounds. Actually three and a half rounds before switching back to AVX in the middle of the fourth.

Won't be making that particular mistake again. It's not lightning in a bottle. It simply goes farther on every club while stopping perfectly fine on the greens, not being affected at all by a "one club" breeze on short-iron shots and being predictable in the short game.

All that leaves me with no reason at all to play some other ball, especially now that eBay deals on AVX for around $36-$37/dozen are starting to show up. The price was literally the only downside and if I can get AVX for at most a few cents per ball more than ProV1x or B330 or TP5 then price is not an issue.

I made the switch to avx as well this year and can’t see myself switching back. Shot a career best this past week with one in fact, and coming from prov1x I can tell it’s slightly less grippy on the short wedge shots but other than that I never feel like I lost anything in exchange for the new ball.

I made the switch to avx as well this year and cant see myself switching back. Shot a career best this past week with one in fact, and coming from prov1x I can tell its slightly less grippy on the short wedge shots but other than that I never feel like I lost anything in exchange for the new ball.

So you changed just to get slightly less spin on wedges?

My son recommended these to me. He is verrry long and doesn't need the distance gains. But when he misses a driver it is off the course. He likes them because they are yellow (he can find them) and the sidespin is low enough that they stay on the course. His old man (me) tried them out last week and shot 2 over on a par 63 course, 5 strokes better than my index. Not bad for an 8 index and a short hitter. They are definitely longer than the Pro Vs or Srixon Q Star Tours I usually play. I would say about 10 yards on the driver and a half club on the irons. The best part is they are very soft. Since I have no club-head speed it's nice to feel the ball compressing. I really like these...and except for mental errors on the par 5 18th I could have carded a nice even round. I will buy another dozen when I run out in 2021 : )

The best part is they are very soft. Since I have no club-head speed it's nice to feel the ball compressing.

This is an excellent point, somewhat lost a bit as this thread has continued.

"Feel", however one defines it, seems to be quite important (and different LOL) to a LOT of golfers. The AVX is definitely softer feeling than either of the Provs (although the "regular" Prov is somewhat close).

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Just ordered a dozen... what should I expect?

flatter trajectory with woods. Less spin on iron shots with more of a mid flight. Short irons still stop on greens. Depending on your spin levels. May very. But for me stopping within a couple feet of pitch mark with short irons.Softer feel the prov1 and 1x. Mid irons still stopped on the greens as well. I've noticed about 1/2 club longer with my irons. Maybe just a few extra yards on woods.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

To repeat what I think I have typed on 28 previous occasions in this thread :-)

Compared to ProV1 type conventional “Tour” balls AVX is supposed to spin 15% or so less of irons, just a tiny bit less (maybe 5%) in the short game, similar spin off the driver and to have a very low ball flight with all clubs. Also supposed to “feel soft”, whatever that means.

Depending on your normal launch conditions, most people find some extra distance on iron and wedge shots. Some of us find considerable extra distance on long irons, hybrids and fairway woods. The lower driver flight may also gain you some extra rollout distance on tee shots

But basically it’s a low trajectory Urethane covered ball with slightly reduced iron-shot spin. .

Found an AVX during my round this past weekend. It lived up to all the hype! I get some balls discounted due to my relationship with the golf retail industry, but Titleist is one of those that doesn’t give any special, direct-to-market discounts. YET, I am willing to pay full retail for this ball after I buy a trial sleeve and see if I just didn’t find a magic bean first.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

I played yesterday with the AVX, ProV1X, BXS and BX. It's been raining here in the Dallas area so the fairways are pretty soft, but I found that carry distance is very similar on all of the balls I played. On iron shots, if you don't compress the AVX it's not longer than the other balls. It's a fun ball to play but a little more spin doesn't hurt.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

flatter trajectory with woods. Less spin on iron shots with more of a mid flight. Short irons still stop on greens. Depending on your spin levels. May very. But for me stopping within a couple feet of pitch mark with short irons.Softer feel the prov1 and 1x. Mid irons still stopped on the greens as well. I've noticed about 1/2 club longer with my irons. Maybe just a few extra yards on woods.

This! What's your clubhead speed or 7i yardage?

Found one of these last week and liked it a lot. Good feel and somehow I held onto it for 2 rounds. I usually lose a few balls per round on the desert courses I play so this was a very good sign. Going to try some...hopefully its not a fluke.

Got 7 rds from one until today....hit into a sable palm tree...ugh

I'm around 105 driver swing speed. 160ish 7iron with zstar. 165ish with avx. Pretty consistently.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

I'm around 105 driver swing speed. 160ish 7iron with zstar. 165ish with avx. Pretty consistently.

Not as fast as you.....but besides AVX change , I've changed irons....PXG from PSI forged tour.....

Here is a GREAT example....earlier in the year while swinging very well, I played a track that I've gotten 10 rds on now.

13th hole is a par 3 that's uphill and into playing 150....on one particular day , pin what front and I hit stinger , very solid psi 6i and tp5x to about 3ft....ecstatic about that....fast forward to yesterday....same hole but more of a back pin....151 ....MISSED 7i PXG with AVX and I'm 20ft under hole ....made the putt btw....unsure on total gains with this combo but minimum 10yds ....7i was 145 solidly now 155 easily.... hit 170 under right conditions with great launch....

After 30 days in the hole, I'm back.

Played with the ball again. Was a slight difference from the first time, but still nothing extreme as others are experiencing. Hit two balls every shot, one AVX, one Pro V or TP5. I did alternate which ball I hit off the tee first.

Drives have been more consistent overall with any ball (changed drivers) so I can't say it was the AVX, but it didn't rip back as much on the approach shots so that was noticeable. Didn't notice any +/- in distance either, drives were almost identical distance. Ball flight was mid with either ball, but my flight has always been mid unless I'm trying to hit it high.

Maybe I'm more consistent right now? Iono. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

North Butte was kind enough to post an eBay "auction" for 2 dozen AVX for $75 and I bought 2 dozen.

I'm in Florida. They should last me through the beginning of next year (Thanks again NB)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Played an AVX for just hole last night and, once again, surprised at the length off the tee. It’s the dimples?

If a lower flight and flatter landing angle add distance for you then that’s the dimples. Some people don’t seem to get the extra driver distance like I do so maybe they need a higher flight or something.

North Butte was kind enough to post an eBay "auction" for 2 dozen AVX for $75 and I bought 2 dozen.

I'm in Florida. They should last me through the beginning of next year (Thanks again NB)

You are welcome.

I bought from that guy (even though I had some still on the shelf) and promptly went like three rounds in a row without losing a ball. I was starting to think maybe I needn’t have bothered. Then I lost four in one round as was like, “Damn, glad I didn’t pay full price!”

after playing another couple rounds with the avx i have noticed that they seem to play about 5-8 yards longer than the pro V1x did for me.

and i should add that they don't seem to spin as hard on the greens, for me anyway. I don't get the suck back but it seems like more of a 1 hop and stop like the old original Pro V did

after playing another couple rounds with the avx i have noticed that they seem to play about 5-8 yards longer than the pro V1x did for me.

and i should add that they don't seem to spin as hard on the greens, for me anyway. I don't get the suck back but it seems like more of a 1 hop and stop like the old original Pro V did

Exactly matches my experience after nearly 100 rounds.

Played the AVX this weekend and I have to say I think the honeymoon phase is over for me. While it is still a great ball, I played switched between the AVX and either the 2017 Pro V1 or the BXS and found that driver distance was best with the BXS and while the AVX was slightly longer with the irons, it wasn't by much. What turned me off was the short game spin. From 100 yards and in I was closer to the pin with the Pro V1/BXS than the AVX.

I still have a couple so I'll keep testing.

Played the AVX this weekend and I have to say I think the honeymoon phase is over for me. While it is still a great ball, I played switched between the AVX and either the 2017 Pro V1 or the BXS and found that driver distance was best with the BXS and while the AVX was slightly longer with the irons, it wasn't by much. What turned me off was the short game spin. From 100 yards and in I was closer to the pin with the Pro V1/BXS than the AVX.

I still have a couple so I'll keep testing.

It's probably because I don't produce or expect a lot of spin in my short game compared to some people but during my initial weeks of trying the AVX I was just about convinced there had to be some shortcoming in the spin department. The ball was so obviously low spin with the driver and irons I figured there couldn't be a free lunch and the short-game performance was at least slightly compromised.

But honestly, I was just blaming every bad bounce or bit of sloppy contact on the ball during those first 8-10 rounds. I stuck with it because I liked the long-game performance and when I tried my old faithful ProV1x for a few rounds several months later to my surprise it didn't work any better for me around the greens than AVX. For my game (perhaps not yours) the short-game issues were not nearly what I'd have assumed had to be true going in.

But as I say, I don't hit low-spinner wedge shots (not on purpose anyway ;-) and I do find considerable extra rollout on the driver. If you find AVX is short-ish off the driver and you really need every bit of spin you can get from 30-40-50 yards then I doubt it's the ball for you. Stick with it a few more rounds at least and keep and open mind.

I found a place selling by the sleeve. And they had yellow. It was a new course so I really don’t know about distance. I liked the ball, nice soft feel, until it decided to go for a swim.

I’ll try it today ina familiar course. Should give me a better indication. It will have to be pretty good though to replace my Snell Red (in yellow, still need to do something about that name!)