Maltby TS2

Popeye64

> @Tommyj said:

> > @CROUSE99 said:

> > Can anyone compare the size of the TS-2's to the new Callaway Apex 19? The 19's are about as large as I want an iron head to be and it would be nice to know the size of the Maltby's in comparison.

>

> I don't think the TS-2's are for you if the Apex 19 is your benchmark for size. Topline on the TS-2 is significantly thicker and overall head size is noticeably larger, both in length and toe height. The thick topline makes the TS-2 look more stubby/compact than it actually is. Offset is about the same in the short to mid irons, TS-2 has less in the longer irons.

>

> Having said all that, I've just shafted up a TS-2 7 iron and am really impressed by how solid it feels. Great ball flight and very consistent on distance. A full club longer than my G25's, but to be fair my G25 is 2* weaker, so the TS-2 is more likely 1/2 a club longer.

Thanks again . How would you say they compare to the Titleist 718 AP1's? I have a set of the AP 1's and am looking for something with a smaller head.

@CROUSE99 TS-1 might be just a bit sm> @CROUSE99 said:

> > @Tommyj said:

> > > @CROUSE99 said:

> > > Can anyone compare the size of the TS-2's to the new Callaway Apex 19? The 19's are about as large as I want an iron head to be and it would be nice to know the size of the Maltby's in comparison.

> >

> > I don't think the TS-2's are for you if the Apex 19 is your benchmark for size. Topline on the TS-2 is significantly thicker and overall head size is noticeably larger, both in length and toe height. The thick topline makes the TS-2 look more stubby/compact than it actually is. Offset is about the same in the short to mid irons, TS-2 has less in the longer irons.

> >

> > Having said all that, I've just shafted up a TS-2 7 iron and am really impressed by how solid it feels. Great ball flight and very consistent on distance. A full club longer than my G25's, but to be fair my G25 is 2* weaker, so the TS-2 is more likely 1/2 a club longer.

>

> Thanks again . How would you say they compare to the Titleist 718 AP1's? I have a set of the AP 1's and am looking for something with a smaller head.

I can't compare them directly to 718 AP1's, but I've tried various generations of AP1 and owned a set when the first gen came out. I always try them based on the great reviews, but my impression is always that the blades are too long and the long irons have too much offset. If I want that I'll stick with a Ping G series iron, which to me feels more solid.

So to your question, I would take the TS-2 over any generation of AP1 - no contest. TS-2 has a more compact blade and less offset than AP1, top line may still be a touch thicker on the TS-2. The top line thickness will probably be an issue for many players but it gives me more confidence and I don't pay much attention to it. From a feel perspective, the TS-2 feels much more solid than an AP1, it also feels more solid than my G25's. I find with longer blades like the AP1/G25 that I sometimes feel like I'm slapping at the ball with the longer irons. I'm also protecting against going left because those clubs have more offset than I would like. Both of those tendencies are not there with the TS-2, I'm swinging through the ball and hitting solid shots. I've also tried the P790 quite a few times and could never warm up to it, whereas I liked the TS-2 right away.

My only reservation with the TS-2 is the price. I was lucky to get a set of heads from a fellow Golfwrx member, not sure I would buy them new. When you look at the cost with a good quality shaft, I would go to the classifieds and look for a used set of Hot Metal Pros or possibly i200/i210s. I highly recommend the Hot Metal Pros if you are looking for a smaller head with great feel and good forgiveness.

> @CROUSE99 said:

> Thanks Tommy. Great info. One reason I'm going with the TS-1 or TS-2 is I can get them with the TT Elevate 95 shafts. That shaft feels great and performs extremely well for me in the Apex 19. Unfortunately, the only OEMs offering that shaft seem to be Callaway and PXG.

If you are going to go TS-1 I would try a single iron first. For myself, I would be concerned about the much smaller profile relative to the AP1. I want to play the TS-1 but know what's going to happen - I can hit it on the range, but I need to see a bit more real estate behind the ball when I'm on the course. My reservation on price is not the purchase price, but more how little you get back on resale with component clubs.

I've read good things about the Elevate, I'd like to try the Tour version.

Been meaning to post in here for a while now but keep forgetting.

FINALLY (8 months after buying them) got to try out my DBMs purchased near-new from a fellow WRXer. First 9 holes was a little rough, as expected after not swinging the clubs for 8 months, but the second 9 it felt like I couldn't miss with them.

I ended last season as a 15 cap, so was worried that they might be too unforgiving for me, but I actually find them easier to hit than my AP1 714s that they replaced. Especially the longer irons, which are clubs I've always struggled with. Might even keep the 4i in the bag (which is a club I haven't used in probably 10 years)

Something about the chunky design of the AP1s just never clicked with me. I loved my old Adams A4s and hit them great, so it's nice to get back to the slim topline with the DBMs. Lost maybe 5 yards distance compared to the AP1s (loft is way more traditional, so was expected), but that distance is WAY more consistent.

They look fantastic too. Those black Pederson shafts that Popeye posted would look great on them. Too rich for my taste right now though :/

Bought TS1 7-PW last week and installed some DG XP105 shaft pulls I had laying around. I've only been able to hit a few balls into a field next to my house but wow are they sweet! I switched to a set of Ping G irons this spring after playing Mizuno JPX 850 forged for the last few seasons. I just can't get past the size, offset of the Pings and the soles are super wide. The TS1's just look so good behind the ball. I'll get out on the course with them tomorrow and get some more feedback. 4-6 iron are on the way now.

Ping 400 Max
Callaway Maverick 4W
Sub 70 699 Pro 2 Utility

Ping i210 4-PW
Ping Glide 3.0 50, 54, 58
Scotty Special Select Fastback

> @Golf4lifer said:

> After my 4th round with the TS1’s all I can say is I am more than impressed! So easy to hit, they are almost point and shoot. I might buy a back up set just to have they are so good!

Did you go full set of TS-1’s?

I’m loving my 7-PW and using my 5 & 6 iron form the Cobra FTBlacks for now. I’m not sure whether to get the TS-1 in the 5/6 or stay as is.

The TS-2’s were nice but I couldn’t get past the thicker top line.

Seriously good irons though.

If I wasn’t using the 5/6 from the Cobras I would have already sold the set.

TS-1’s are firmly in the bag.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

> @roxald said:

> > @Golf4lifer said:

> > After my 4th round with the TS1’s all I can say is I am more than impressed! So easy to hit, they are almost point and shoot. I might buy a back up set just to have they are so good!

>

>

> Did you go full set of TS-1’s?

> I’m loving my 7-PW and using my 5 & 6 iron form the Cobra FTBlacks for now. I’m not sure whether to get the TS-1 in the 5/6 or stay as is.

> The TS-2’s were nice but I couldn’t get past the thicker top line.

> Seriously good irons though.

> If I wasn’t using the 5/6 from the Cobras I would have already sold the set.

> TS-1’s are firmly in the bag.

> Rox

>

Yup, I went 4-gw and I like each club equally. I was the same with the TS-2, the top line wouldn’t let me get one. I seriously debated getting the TS-2 4 iron, but I am glad I stuck the the TS-1’s for the entire set.

> @Golf4lifer said:

> > @roxald said:

> > > @Golf4lifer said:

> > > After my 4th round with the TS1’s all I can say is I am more than impressed! So easy to hit, they are almost point and shoot. I might buy a back up set just to have they are so good!

> >

> >

> > Did you go full set of TS-1’s?

> > I’m loving my 7-PW and using my 5 & 6 iron form the Cobra FTBlacks for now. I’m not sure whether to get the TS-1 in the 5/6 or stay as is.

> > The TS-2’s were nice but I couldn’t get past the thicker top line.

> > Seriously good irons though.

> > If I wasn’t using the 5/6 from the Cobras I would have already sold the set.

> > TS-1’s are firmly in the bag.

> > Rox

> >

>

> Yup, I went 4-gw and I like each club equally. I was the same with the TS-2, the top line wouldn’t let me get one. I seriously debated getting the TS-2 4 iron, but I am glad I stuck the the TS-1’s for the entire set.

Thx for the feedback.

I’ll probably order in the 5 & 6.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and

Backups:

After reading this thread, I decided to build a TS-1 6 iron with a Nippon NS Pro 120 to compare against my Srixon Z 745 with a KBS Tour 120. I've been a 745 loyalist for 3 or so years now, but man oh man am I'm being tempted here. These TS-1's are legit. They check each and every box. I'll post my comparison below from my GC2. The loft of the TS-1 6 iron is .5* weaker than my 745, but was actually seeing more ball speed. I made sure I was loose before I started recording shots. This is a very small sample size, but all of these shots felt like they were struck in the center. I removed one bad one from each club. The only thing that gives me pause, is how low I'm spinning the TS-1. But with the increase in ball speed and launch being higher, the peak height and landing angle was better with the TS-1. So it appears that stopping power won't be an issue. My home course is bent that is on the softer side, so it's not something that's critical. I'm playing a TP5x and may look at switching to something that spins a little more off the irons though, maybe back to the ProV1x. Anway, this thing looks awesome and feels even better. I agree that if a major OEM released it, a set would sell for $1,200 and they'd be flying off the shelves.

qainu9xjabxs.png

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

I know this thread is about the TS2s. Just wanted to share I pulled the trigger on a Maltby ISO-T driver I bought from Dave who does YouTube reviews of Maltby gear as Fit2YouGolf. Dave is a good model for "average Joes" as he has good form, a slight OTT move, and SS in mid 90s. My schedule clears up in a few days, so I'll post what I find on the range and course, and compare it to my Ping G400 Max with an R-flex Alta CB55. (The ISO-T has an R-flex Maltby MPF Pro Series DR shaft, and I can already tell it's firmer than the counter-balanced Alta shaft.)

• Like 2

> @coreyhr said:

> After reading this thread, I decided to build a TS-1 6 iron with a Nippon NS Pro 120 to compare against my Srixon Z 745 with a KBS Tour 120. I've been a 745 loyalist for 3 or so years now, but man oh man am I'm being tempted here. These TS-1's are legit. They check each and every box. I'll post my comparison below from my GC2. The loft of the TS-1 6 iron is .5* weaker than my 745, but was actually seeing more ball speed. I made sure I was loose before I started recording shots. This is a very small sample size, but all of these shots felt like they were struck in the center. I removed one bad one from each club. The only thing that gives me pause, is how low I'm spinning the TS-1. But with the increase in ball speed and launch being higher, the peak height and landing angle was better with the TS-1. So it appears that stopping power won't be an issue. My home course is bent that is on the softer side, so it's not something that's critical. I'm playing a TP5x and may look at switching to something that spins a little more off the irons though, maybe back to the ProV1x. Anway, this thing looks awesome and feels even better. I agree that if a major OEM released it, a set would sell for $1,200 and they'd be flying off the shelves.

>

> qainu9xjabxs.png

>

Coryhr-

I’ve replaced my Forged Tec Blacks with the TS-1s-they are that good.

It was close, but less off set and more consistency with them is what sold me. As you said, weaker lofts on them and that’s a better option for my game. I have the Modus 120s in my set and they work well for me.

Regarding the spin-the ball is a great place to start. Shafts? Perhaps, but why go through that process if the ball swap will work.

My only issue has been worth the 5 & 6 with the TS-1s. I’m not sold on them yet-seem to be okay but I still throw my VPC long irons in the bag quite often(I had to MM-Proto treat them coz the neon and black didn’t look right in the bag with the TS-1 cleaner look). I can’t bag the TS-2 long irons due to the top line and more offset and the scoring lines as wide, if I recall correctly-just doesn’t flow for me and I think it’s an issue many of us struggle with. I would like to see a smaller cavity back transition design between the TS-1 and TS-2.

Love the launch numbers you posted-good info there, for sure.

Interested to see if you can get the numbers up a bit and how it affects the numbers. Even if the number rise too high a loft adjustment could help fine tune to your needs.

Hit ‘em well,

Rox

• Like 1

2023 in the Bag!

Backups:

• 2 weeks later...

> @"the bishop" said:

> Those do look good but in fairness to Golfworks I find that difference in catalog vs. in-hand pics to be pretty universal. Most stuff looks much better in person. I've got my eye on those TS2's if for no other reason I've got a set of KBS Tour pulls that have been laying around for a while that need a home. Really don't need another set of irons though.

I'm wondering how many sets of heads I have bought just because I had some shafts.......too many probably.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

> @N2N2 said:

> Been playing with TS1's for over a while now. They're very good clubs. On days like today when I didn't hit it well would like to try to the TS2's. That is the golfwrx in me I guess. I may at some point.

Surprisingly I haven’t second guessed my TS1’s and I’m debating getting the 3 iron, but having it bent to 18 or 19*’s. I’ve been hitting darts with them and when I put a bad swing on them nothing is going to help.

Definitely TS1's are really good. I don't love the GW, which seems weird compared to rest of set. 5-PW is what I would order if doing over. To me the 4 I don't get enough out of to justify. I would choose Srixon u85 or something similar over the 3 or 4 based on hitting those higher and not any more demanding. Yes, I still want to try the TS2 because this thread. Ha.

Funny you say that because I was having issues with my GW too, but my last 2 rounds I’ve been hitting it better. This is the first time in a while I’ve played a set GW so I just chalked up my misadventures to that.

I might have to check out the u85’s right now I have a big gap from my 4 iron to my 3 wood. The TS2 scare me especially with the rave reviews here. I am fighting the urge.

Got my full set of ts2's this weekend. Played a twilight 9 and posted my best score ever: +2. I was hitting and sticking greens, which is something that has never really happened for me before, and it was so much fun. These clubs are amazing. Thanks for the detailed reviews, because they convinced me to try them, and I'm so pumped about golf right now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've played many sets of irons over the years. All the big brands. Own a set TS1's and they're really good. Finally played the TS2's in 5,6,7 iron. Wow! Those things are super easy to hit. Feel great and very predictable. I play once a week. 4 hc currently and was a 2 not very long ago. GIR for me is the main difference between shooting 72-74 and 77-79. I must admit and as much I love the TS1's I could game a full set of TS2's no problem with thicker top line and all. Would like a little less offset too, but can't argue with the results. More players should get the right shaft and buy a set of TS2's.

After all the great discussion here I could no longer resist temptation!. So last week I built a test TS2 6i test club with a Nunchuk shaft I had lying around. I have only played one round with it, but was very impressed. I liked the look, no issues with the thick top edge, feel is great, or at least as good as my Apex and Steelfiber gamers, just a little different. I need more time with the test club on different courses and different situation but the 4-5 shots I took with it were all laser beam straight with good trajectory and similar length to my Apex's. This is not a surprise, they are the same length, same loft, same MOI, and close to the same total weight. I use Nunchuk's in my wood, Hybrids, and wedges, so this was a chance to try one in a iron, and I had an extra lying around. FYI, I am almost 60, hit the 6 approx. 165 yards, and currently have a 14 HC, but its slowly coming down after a long layoff after an injury. I play only once a week in a league.

The only problem I had was in the build, I should have asked for a hand selected heavy as possible head. I forgot, and by chance received a head that was 2.8 g lighter than spec. That combined with the counterbalanced Nunchuk shaft and my desired 37.75 inch length resulted in me having to add 14g of weight to the hosel, which was not easy. Would have been much easier if the head was heavier to start, or I had built it longer, but then it would not have been a fair comparison to my Apex's. My goal was to match the specs, or get them as close as possible.

There are so many good golf clubs available to market. I remember thinking the Macgregor VIP v-foil 1025m were the best irons ever when they came out and I was playing regularly. I like trying out lot of clubs like the next golfer. The Maltby TS1's and TS2's are really good! This will be multiple posts for me about these clubs, which I don't do regularly. I agree so much that if you're a slightly a digger then the TS2 is a no brainer with right shaft. Agree a little thick topline, but oh my they are easy to increase your GIR with. The TS2's are different shaft than my TS1's and now give them the edge. Everyone is a different and many guys wouldn't consider these irons. That said, these are now in the VIP 1025m category for me.

• 1 month later...

> @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> Just curious what everyone who is playing TS1 / TS2s in the bag has for their set up. I'm 5-PW in the TS2 w/ the TS1 GW.

Still liking this setup? I'm thinking of doing the same. Do you wish you had the PW as TS1 as well or happy with what you did? What shafts did you go with and how do you like them?

I'm still playing the TS2 5-PW w/ Modus 130X. I've made more birdies this season than ever before. Not long ago I dumped the TS1 GW to go to a 52/58 wedge setup. I hit the TS1 great, but having more options at the top of the bag has been better for my game. I'm toying with the idea of going TS2 5,6 and TS1 7-PW for 2020. It's not a pressing matter, but it could be fun to toy around with the 1s.

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

I will have a mixed bag in play for the rest of the season. I have the TS-2 5-7 and the TS-1 8-GW they are shafted with the DG 105 S shafts. I dropped the TS-1s early in the year when I was struggling with my swing. I actually had the MMB Blacks as a mixed set with the TS-2 5,6.

I worked through my swing issues and I look forward to giving these a second go. I suffered from a swing that was not firing through the ball. In my head I was getting the GI aspect of the irons do the work for me rather than moving aggressively through the ball. The MMBs make me swing like I mean it and it had nothing to do with my swing,, it was all between my ears.

I wanted to shaft everything with the Paderson TS1s but I just couldnt break down the MMBs.

> @Popeye64 said:

> I will have a mixed bag in play for the rest of the season. I have the TS-2 5-7 and the TS-1 8-GW they are shafted with the DG 105 S shafts. I dropped the TS-1s early in the year when I was struggling with my swing. I actually had the MMB Blacks as a mixed set with the TS-2 5,6.

> I worked through my swing issues and I look forward to giving these a second go. I suffered from a swing that was not firing through the ball. In my head I was getting the GI aspect of the irons do the work for me rather than moving aggressively through the ball. The MMBs make me swing like I mean it and it had nothing to do with my swing,, it was all between my ears.

> I wanted to shaft everything with the Paderson TS1s but I just couldnt break down the MMBs.

Interesting breakdown of how you were swinging. Speed at the bottom! Ya gotta have it. This combo sounds solid. You’ve really been a fan of the Paderson iron shaft. Does it play true to flex? By reputation they are known for great stability.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches