Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Question for those with the TS2 - at what iron (if any) do you start seeing the back, bottom edge of the cavity at address. My old Mizuno MX-19s, it was the 4, 5, and 6 iron. However, a set of Cobra F9s I recently picked up you can see the back edge of the cavity on the 7-iron and it drives me nuts. I know with pretty much any GI style iron, you are going to have that issue at least on the 6 and lower, but on the 7, I don't know why it bothers me, but it does.

1 hour ago, NativeTxn said:

Question for those with the TS2 - at what iron (if any) do you start seeing the back, bottom edge of the cavity at address. My old Mizuno MX-19s, it was the 4, 5, and 6 iron. However, a set of Cobra F9s I recently picked up you can see the back edge of the cavity on the 7-iron and it drives me nuts. I know with pretty much any GI style iron, you are going to have that issue at least on the 6 and lower, but on the 7, I don't know why it bothers me, but it does.

Depending on how much shaft lean you have at address, it would probably start at the 5 iron

3 minutes ago, NativeTxn said:

So do you mean that you would be able to see it (depending on shaft lean) on basically all irons 5-GW?

No.  You would probably NOT see it, until getting to the 5 iron.  Golfworks has an "address" pic of the 6 iron with a vertical shaft and none of the bottom of the cavity is seen.  https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ts-2-forged-iron-heads/p/ma0294/

• Like 1

Just now, Cwebb said:

No.  You would probably NOT see it, until getting to the 5 iron.  Golfworks has an "address" pic of the 6 iron with a vertical shaft and none of the bottom of the cavity is seen.  https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ts-2-forged-iron-heads/p/ma0294/

Ah, beautiful. That would be excellent if I couldn't see it on the 6 or 7 - it wouldn't even be the end of the world on the 6, as that is what I've been used to.

I go for an iron fitting on Tuesday and don't know what the results will be, but depending on what they are, I am strongly considering at least building a 7-iron of the TS2 with the specs from the fitting to test out to see how it is. But before I did, wanted to try to make sure that the likelihood of seeing the back cavity edge at address was low.

2 hours ago, NativeTxn said:

I have #5- PW-  I don't see it at all.   I have Adams CB-3 and also Adams A-4 forged where I DO SEE it.    You will not be disappointed in these at address.IMO.   I have played player CB irons for past 30 years and am more than comfortable with these.

• Like 1

I have been gaming the TS1's in 5-GW for a bit over a year now.  Love them.  I also have tried the DBM's and STi2's, so that leaves the TS2 and PTM models and as any proper scientist I have felt compelled to try them out as well.  It also appears I am a bit of a club ho.  So I grabbed a TS2 4 iron. 

TS2

50278425106_1b0d745e2c_o.jpg

50277749598_8417647ef5_o.jpg

50278581602_b0128aecab_o.jpg

I put a TT LT Score stiff flex shaft into it.  My first impression is that It is a pretty attractive looking iron, but a step below the TS1.  The overall shaping of the head is a bit odd.  Nothing crazy, but just not what I was expecting.  It is not the largest sized head in terms of heel to toe or sole to top line sizing.  Very narrow in the transition from hosel to face.  Definitely a thick top line.  But the thicker top line hides any sight of the rear or sole of the club from address.  I love the more curved leading edge / cambered sole. 

I took it out to play last night.  I hit it a few times as a second shot club into a par 5.  I hit it on a longer par 3.  I also hit it off the tee as a driving iron on some shorter par 4's.  First shot was on a longer par 3.  It measured 190 to the flag.  Green has water on 3 sides.  My 5 iron number is about 180, so I gave this a shot.  I hit two balls very solidly.  Both carried over the green.  Dead straight.  Not thrilled I didn't hit the green, but the ball speed and accuracy of the TS2 was very impressive.  Next hole was a 330 yd par 4.  Same story.  Smoked it dead straight.  Ball flight is very moderate.  I've heard elsewhere that the VCOG is a little higher on the TS2 and I would affirm that.  I like to see my iron shots with more of a boring trajectory and this club did that in spades.  I was thrilled.  I had 117 yds into the flag, so a 210 21* 4 iron is quite a good shot for me.  Thrilled with the performance so far.  Next hole was a par 4 and I moved up a tee box to play it about 360 yds and hit the TS2 4 iron off the tee again.  I made a very poor swing.  Contact was very thin and off center.  The TS2 did just fine though and the ball still got out there about 200 yds even with a bad miss.  Overall I was extremely impressed with the performance of this club.  I'm considering building a 5 iron as well and comboing with the TS1's.  I would also be interested if Golfworks would release a 3 iron at maybe 18* or 19*.  P790 UDI killer?

PTM

I also saw an eBay auction for a set of PTM irons 5-GW.  It came with True Temper XP100 shafts.  This summer I switched from the old favorite Dynamic Gold S300 to the FST 115.  Moving from a 130g shaft to 115g was a positive for me in every way, so I have been curious about stepping down yet again to the 100g to see how that plays.  With the new TaylorMade iron launch I've seen some combo's with the hollow head P770's in the long irons into the cavity back P7MC's.  So this is my Maltby version of that concept. 

50278581552_1463004dee_o.jpg

My first impressions weren't excellent.  The irons look good.  I like the aesthetics of the club with the more minimal look.  But the heads seem very large to me in terms of blade length and height.  I don't mind this so much in the 5-7 irons.  But the PW and GW feel REALLY big to me.  In the TS1 set I have been gaming those are my two favorite clubs.  This is a huge exaggeration, but it felt a bit like this:

e89c2f17f8b64690594a2d2d3385ad71.jpg

I think this is almost entirely relative.  Because I have been playing more of a blade style short iron, the PTM is simply bigger.  But in comparison to the DBM or STi2 I did not have that same reaction.  Everything else is good though.  Medium top line, not too much offset.  I think this is something I could acclimate to if I played them for a while.  But I admit that the DBM's may be a better choice for me and my preferences.  If only they could take the sole of the TS1 and put it on the DBM...

Performance was great on the PTM.  I hit 7/9 greens.  For as much as I struggled to look at the GW I hit it great and hit two approach shots to inside 10 feet.  The trajectory was great.  If the DBM launches a little too high this is definitely more moderate.  Feel was good, but not buttery blade soft.  The main reason why I would move to the PTM's instead of the TS1's would be consistency in carry.  Every once in a while I hit a shot with the TS1's that seems extra hot and jumps over the back.  It could be me, could be a flyer, could be I'm a head case.  But the hollow head design (in my brain) feels best in the long irons.  But from the 7 iron down I want precision.  So far the PTM's have been great on that level.  If I make a good swing it carries exactly what I expect it to.

Lastly I want to see if the larger face has an impact on forgiveness.  Maybe I will come to appreciate the larger face to find performance benefits?

This is very much a first impression.  I will play them for a few weeks and we'll see how it settles in. 

• Like 2

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS - 8*

Woods - Cobra LTDx 14*

Hybrids - Ping G425 19, 22, 26, 30

Irons - Maltby KE4 Max 8-GW

Wedges - Maltby TSW 54, 60

Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura X Armlock

My WITB Shenanigans

6 hours ago, kleydejong said:

I have been gaming the TS1's in 5-GW for a bit over a year now.  Love them.  I also have tried the DBM's and STi2's, so that leaves the TS2 and PTM models and as any proper scientist I have felt compelled to try them out as well.  It also appears I am a bit of a club ho.  So I grabbed a TS2 4 iron. 

TS2

50278425106_1b0d745e2c_o.jpg

50277749598_8417647ef5_o.jpg

50278581602_b0128aecab_o.jpg

I put a TT LT Score stiff flex shaft into it.  My first impression is that It is a pretty attractive looking iron, but a step below the TS1.  The overall shaping of the head is a bit odd.  Nothing crazy, but just not what I was expecting.  It is not the largest sized head in terms of heel to toe or sole to top line sizing.  Very narrow in the transition from hosel to face.  Definitely a thick top line.  But the thicker top line hides any sight of the rear or sole of the club from address.  I love the more curved leading edge / cambered sole. 

I took it out to play last night.  I hit it a few times as a second shot club into a par 5.  I hit it on a longer par 3.  I also hit it off the tee as a driving iron on some shorter par 4's.  First shot was on a longer par 3.  It measured 190 to the flag.  Green has water on 3 sides.  My 5 iron number is about 180, so I gave this a shot.  I hit two balls very solidly.  Both carried over the green.  Dead straight.  Not thrilled I didn't hit the green, but the ball speed and accuracy of the TS2 was very impressive.  Next hole was a 330 yd par 4.  Same story.  Smoked it dead straight.  Ball flight is very moderate.  I've heard elsewhere that the VCOG is a little higher on the TS2 and I would affirm that.  I like to see my iron shots with more of a boring trajectory and this club did that in spades.  I was thrilled.  I had 117 yds into the flag, so a 210 21* 4 iron is quite a good shot for me.  Thrilled with the performance so far.  Next hole was a par 4 and I moved up a tee box to play it about 360 yds and hit the TS2 4 iron off the tee again.  I made a very poor swing.  Contact was very thin and off center.  The TS2 did just fine though and the ball still got out there about 200 yds even with a bad miss.  Overall I was extremely impressed with the performance of this club.  I'm considering building a 5 iron as well and comboing with the TS1's.  I would also be interested if Golfworks would release a 3 iron at maybe 18* or 19*.  P790 UDI killer?

PTM

I also saw an eBay auction for a set of PTM irons 5-GW.  It came with True Temper XP100 shafts.  This summer I switched from the old favorite Dynamic Gold S300 to the FST 115.  Moving from a 130g shaft to 115g was a positive for me in every way, so I have been curious about stepping down yet again to the 100g to see how that plays.  With the new TaylorMade iron launch I've seen some combo's with the hollow head P770's in the long irons into the cavity back P7MC's.  So this is my Maltby version of that concept. 

50278581552_1463004dee_o.jpg

My first impressions weren't excellent.  The irons look good.  I like the aesthetics of the club with the more minimal look.  But the heads seem very large to me in terms of blade length and height.  I don't mind this so much in the 5-7 irons.  But the PW and GW feel REALLY big to me.  In the TS1 set I have been gaming those are my two favorite clubs.  This is a huge exaggeration, but it felt a bit like this:

e89c2f17f8b64690594a2d2d3385ad71.jpg

I think this is almost entirely relative.  Because I have been playing more of a blade style short iron, the PTM is simply bigger.  But in comparison to the DBM or STi2 I did not have that same reaction.  Everything else is good though.  Medium top line, not too much offset.  I think this is something I could acclimate to if I played them for a while.  But I admit that the DBM's may be a better choice for me and my preferences.  If only they could take the sole of the TS1 and put it on the DBM...

Performance was great on the PTM.  I hit 7/9 greens.  For as much as I struggled to look at the GW I hit it great and hit two approach shots to inside 10 feet.  The trajectory was great.  If the DBM launches a little too high this is definitely more moderate.  Feel was good, but not buttery blade soft.  The main reason why I would move to the PTM's instead of the TS1's would be consistency in carry.  Every once in a while I hit a shot with the TS1's that seems extra hot and jumps over the back.  It could be me, could be a flyer, could be I'm a head case.  But the hollow head design (in my brain) feels best in the long irons.  But from the 7 iron down I want precision.  So far the PTM's have been great on that level.  If I make a good swing it carries exactly what I expect it to.

Lastly I want to see if the larger face has an impact on forgiveness.  Maybe I will come to appreciate the larger face to find performance benefits?

This is very much a first impression.  I will play them for a few weeks and we'll see how it settles in. 

Great write up and truly spot on. 

The TS-2 long irons are flat out amazing. Pure missiles that just want to go straight. 

About the PTM head size.. yes it looks big but dimensions are very close the the TS-2 yet it seems much larger. That size goes away quickly as they just seem to be automatic with distance as you saw for yourself. I am tinkering with a set of Hogan PTx Pro blacks and honestly I'm not sure they will move the PTMs out of the bag..... 

Nice write up!

8 hours ago, kleydejong said:

The main reason why I would move to the PTM's instead of the TS1's would be consistency in carry.  Every once in a while I hit a shot with the TS1's that seems extra hot and jumps over the back.  It could be me, could be a flyer, could be I'm a head case.  But the hollow head design (in my brain) feels best in the long irons.  But from the 7 iron down I want precision.  So far the PTM's have been great on that level.  If I make a good swing it carries exactly what I expect it to.

There are a lot of people on this forum who will say you are a head case.  ?

But I don't think so.  For whatever reason you get the occasional low spin ball and that's the result.  I guess the question is, do you gain enough shots with the irons otherwise, to live with this flyer? 

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Playing around with the Rapid Tapers. After I had some left over 95s and a few 75s I threw them in my PTM blacks. 

I wanted to see how they would do being soft stepped. During testing i was given a below spec 75s shaft to see how it did. It was about 6 or 7 cpm low. It still performed really well, felt even better and had great dispersion. So I put the 95s in the Pw-8 and the 75s in the 6-7. To no surprise they worked extremely well. An amazing soft feel, high launch and really great spin. I have been having such a blast with these shafts. The shafts seem to work better the slower you swing. Efficiency is the first thought that comes to mind. 

I have three weights, 95, 85 and 75, in a set of Hogans and the performance has been crazy good... Once I got used to the tiny heads!... but the progression in weight exceeded my expectations on how natural the set feels. 95 in Pw,9, 85 in the 8-6 and 75 in the 5,4. 

I also built a set of PTM chromes 4-gw with the 95s shafts. Customer went crazy for them. 

Bottom picture is the Hogans. 

20200829_094437.jpg

20200828_073135.jpg

20200820_222816.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, games said:

@Popeye64 So, kind of a homemade "AMT" in the Hogans?  I'm kind of surprised more manufacturers haven't gone to ascending weights (low weight in long irons, high weight in the short irons and wedges).  

They way they are working is fantastic. The 4 and 5 iron are high launching and so darn easy to hit. They go a mile! Then the 6-8 have a little more control and don't quite have as high of an initial launch. Distance is still impressive but that not what these clubs are for. You are looking the get the ball close.. spin is truly impressive. Now you have to 9-pw and they are all about control and a low ball flight. Its like having three distinct shaft personalities that blend pretty seamlessly. Each helps in their specific category. 

4 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

I can get you the Rapid Tapers for 41.99 a piece. So there are just a little bit more but still a great deal in today's shaft market. Actually there is nothing like them anywhere. 

Thanks. I'm currently playing DBMs with Ozik Program F15 95 gram shafts. I'm starting to think about my next set of irons. I'll probably want to pick your brain about the differences between the Pro X shafts and the Rapid tapers when the time comes. The way things are going this thread may still be active.

1 hour ago, RR58 said:

Thanks. I'm currently playing DBMs with Ozik Program F15 95 gram shafts. I'm starting to think about my next set of irons. I'll probably want to pick your brain about the differences between the Pro X shafts and the Rapid tapers when the time comes. The way things are going this thread may still be active.

This thread is over 2 years old. Its not going anywhere. Its evolved a bit but its still pretty strong. 

I have been rotating irom sets in my bag this week and I have a hole in the Hogan bag. The Pw is 46° and then I have a 52° M series +. So I technically need a 49° wedge. 

As I strolled to the club bin today something chrome caught my eye.. son of a gun I forgot I had a TS-1 GW in there. Its 49.5° so its a near perfect fit. 

I brought it out today and I had forgotten how much I loved this GW. Its solid body construction fits with the Hogan set in the short irons. They are built almost identically. Aside from being chrome its a perfect fit. Its even just about the same size.. just a hair bigger. 

I had honestly forgotten how good it was around the green for tiny little pitches. Rolled one in and lipped out on another. 

20200831_114837.jpg

• Like 1

My customer who now has the PTMs with the 95g Rapid Tapers is blown away at how good the PW and GW are in the set. 

He kept the demo 6 iron i had until I built him the whole set. He can't stop talking about the control and flight he is seeing. Also how instantly he felt comfortable with the whole set. 

People need to hit these shafts. 

I'm going to start a Demo program and offer single clubs with various heads to try. People honestly need to experience them. 

On 8/31/2020 at 7:07 PM, Popeye64 said:

I have been rotating irom sets in my bag this week and I have a hole in the Hogan bag. The Pw is 46° and then I have a 52° M series +. So I technically need a 49° wedge. 

As I strolled to the club bin today something chrome caught my eye.. son of a gun I forgot I had a TS-1 GW in there. Its 49.5° so its a near perfect fit. 

I brought it out today and I had forgotten how much I loved this GW. Its solid body construction fits with the Hogan set in the short irons. They are built almost identically. Aside from being chrome its a perfect fit. Its even just about the same size.. just a hair bigger. 

I had honestly forgotten how good it was around the green for tiny little pitches. Rolled one in and lipped out on another. 

20200831_114837.jpg

that’s funny Popeye you talked me into going with the TS1 gap wedge with my TS2s and the TS1 gap wedge is my favorite iron in my bag. I am thinking about picking 7-Pw in TS1s just cause I love the gap wedge so much. 

I like the feel, dispersion and spin most of the time of the TS2’s but everyonce in a while in the rough I will square one up and I’ll get a low spin flyer and over shoot the green by 20+yards. Not sure if it’s cause I get some grass in between the ball and club, I actually pure one or if it’s a true hollow club flyer. Who knows lol. 

Edited by Taylormadegack
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Taylormadegack said:

that’s funny Popeye you talked me into going with the TS1 gap wedge with my TS2s and the TS1 gap wedge is my favorite iron in my bag. I am thinking about picking 7-Pw in TS1s just cause I love the gap wedge so much. 

I like the feel, dispersion and spin most of the time of the TS2’s but everyonce in a while in the rough I will square one up and I’ll get a low spin flyer and over shoot the green by 20+yards. Not sure if it’s cause I get some grass in between the ball and club, I actually pure one or if it’s a true hollow club flyer. Who knows lol. 

Its weird how well the Gw blends with the Hogans. 

I never saw the fliers with the TS-2s. I just saw massive distance with such great feel.

That was part of the issue. I couldn't seem to get settled with the gaps in the lower irons. Short irons went a long way too. 

You can get a nice blended set using the TS-1s but you just have to make a compromise somewhere for the gap between the two sets.

I need to dig around and see what other TS-1s I have laying in the bin. 

I'll make up some interesting clubs for Rapid Taper demos. 

• Like 1

A shaft related question for Brother @Popeye64

Are the Rapid Taper shafts offered in 355 as well as 370, or just 370?

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

A shaft related question for Brother @Popeye64

Are the Rapid Taper shafts offered in 355 as well as 370, or just 370?

Nope, just .370. The PTx Pro heads are .355 and it was fairly easy to make them work. Its basically double the shaft tip prep time. Does not weaken the shaft at all. Its only about 3/16" at the most that has to be tapered. Once you do one they go pretty quick. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DarthFader17 said:

Anyone have any updated impressions of the TSW wedges? I'm particularly interested in anyone with a more neutral or shallow swing...they look like the grind will be very versatile!

thanks,

Darth-  I continue to be enamored with my TSW.  FWIW--  a few examples of why I really, really like these wedges.

I played in a two man tournament at a course where the rough around the greens/fwy can be tough.  I put several wedges in tight from lies where I was concerned about being able to escape from. Deep- Deep grass!    I had two sand saves with the 58 where i had to get it up and out.   It really shines with the ability to open it up slightly and maintain consistent turf  or sand interaction.   

Two weeks ago- tournament with wife on drier course with some bare spots..  Nipped my 54 off dry packed dirt several times with wonderful results.   I am getting more and more confident to make the tough shots with these..  

These two examples of vastly different conditions that illustrate how good the sole grind on these is.  

I consider myself to be a shallow to neutral on my attack angle.   When younger I used to be far more aggressive and had a steeper angle of attack.    

• Like 2

I’ll just add to what Mustang commented on. I tend to play my wedges in the neutral position as well with not a bunch of shaft lean. It’s just so easy to clip the ball off a tight lie with these. 

I’ve also done the opposite and really out a bunch of shaft lean in and hit a sort of dead handed shot with these as well. 

however I hit them the result is excellent 

• Like 1