Maltby TS2

Popeye64

On 9/30/2020 at 8:53 AM, ninjab said:

Really like the PTM heads, my miss is in the heel and the longer head look seems to help get me out of the heel. Just have the 7 iron, ordering 5-PW

Its funny that I just saw this as I see the exact same thing. 

When I loaded up the Hogan PTx heads I was hitting darn near everything heel side. I would swap in a PTM and boom. No problem, middle of the face. I don't know why thats the case but it is. 

19 minutes ago, RR58 said:

Based on what I'm seeing on the Maltby site, the PTM chrome heads are being discontinued. Figures, I was starting to lean towards making them my next iron set. I was thinking chrome over black for lie adjustability. So it goes.

Somewhat ironic, because the M-Series+ wedges are apparently being replaced, as they move them to a more adjustable chrome finish.

I also didn't see individual heads available in PTM with DBM finish, only full sets.

Perhaps PTM being replaced/removed entirely?  <shrug>

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

The PTMs were not strong sellers. The TS series irons just never gave them a chance. They were not sexy enough. Too bad because they are work horses. 

Since they came out I would sell 3 sets of PTMs to one of either TS series head. And that's from just letting people hit irons with out input. 

On the plus side this means the next head isn't very far out. Maltby recently has been super quiet about releases and then just dropping them. With the factories in China being so backed up with work I'm not sure what the time lines will be.

Whatever they come up with I really hope a DBM finish is included. I personally might not buy another set of heads without that finish. 

11 minutes ago, games said:

@Popeye64 I like the look of the DBM, too.  But, do you play a fairly conventional lie, that you don't need as much adjustability?  

I do play a standard Lie so adjustability has not been an issue. Its also fairly easy to adjust Lie from a setup standpoint. As well as making a club a bit longer or shorter. So there are ways around it. 

I have adjusted DBM heads in the past. I get them nice and warm before I try to move them. I have only snapped one hosel and that was on a wedge head. 

The set of DBM Hogans i have are made from a softer material and they bend quite easily.  

But for me the way the DBM finish stands up to play and defys bag chatter is a far greater benefit. 

• Like 1

@Popeye64That makes sense.  Different question:  I picked up a set of TS1 heads to the PW.   Any thoughts on filling out the set with the TS1 GW vs a hand-picked Tour MG grind as close to 50 as I can get?

I tend to use the GW purely as a full swing club, so leaning toward the TS1.  But, I currently game the Tour MG grind in 56 and 60, so wouldn't hesitate to fill out with one if I can find a stronger one that I can get bent to 50.

BTW, how much variance do you see in Maltby clubs in terms of loft?  If their 52 Tour MG grind is on spec, how much variance is there when you ask them to handpick one with a markedly stronger or weaker loft?  Is it one degree or two or ?  

Edited by games

1 hour ago, games said:

@Popeye64That makes sense.  Different question:  I picked up a set of TS1 heads to the PW.   Any thoughts on filling out the set with the TS1 GW vs a hand-picked Tour MG grind as close to 50 as I can get?

I tend to use the GW purely as a full swing club, so leaning toward the TS1.  But, I currently game the Tour MG grind in 56 and 60, so wouldn't hesitate to fill out with one if I can find a stronger one that I can get bent to 50.

BTW, how much variance do you see in Maltby clubs in terms of loft?  If their 52 Tour MG grind is on spec, how much variance is there when you ask them to handpick one with a markedly stronger or weaker loft?  Is it one degree or two or ?  

The spec is +/-1° and I haven't seen one way out of spec as I've had quite a few in my loft lie machine. 

Personally I think the TS1 GW is amazing. I carry one in my bag to fill a gap as its 49.5° and fits that gap perfectly. Plus its like a magic chipper for me. I seem to sink way more chips with that club for some reason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, games said:

From what I’ve seen it’s usually the lie that will be a degree off and it’s usually flat. The lofts always seem to be dead nuts. 

Just bought ptm 5-PW, have only put together 2 irons so far. Debating picking up the 4I and GW before that option disappears.

I usually stop my set at 5I then go to a hybrid and I usually use the set GW but thought I would try to use a specialty wedge there. 

Really like the PTMs so far, unfortunate they didn't sell better. 

Edited by ninjab
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 6:30 PM, mustang said:

Darth-  I continue to be enamored with my TSW.  FWIW--  a few examples of why I really, really like these wedges.

I played in a two man tournament at a course where the rough around the greens/fwy can be tough.  I put several wedges in tight from lies where I was concerned about being able to escape from. Deep- Deep grass!    I had two sand saves with the 58 where i had to get it up and out.   It really shines with the ability to open it up slightly and maintain consistent turf  or sand interaction.   

Two weeks ago- tournament with wife on drier course with some bare spots..  Nipped my 54 off dry packed dirt several times with wonderful results.   I am getting more and more confident to make the tough shots with these..  

These two examples of vastly different conditions that illustrate how good the sole grind on these is.  

I consider myself to be a shallow to neutral on my attack angle.   When younger I used to be far more aggressive and had a steeper angle of attack.    

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for! I assume you just ordered the standard variation in whatever degrees you prefer?

On 9/12/2020 at 7:43 AM, Colej said:

I’ll just add to what Mustang commented on. I tend to play my wedges in the neutral position as well with not a bunch of shaft lean. It’s just so easy to clip the ball off a tight lie with these. 

I’ve also done the opposite and really out a bunch of shaft lean in and hit a sort of dead handed shot with these as well. 

however I hit them the result is excellent 

Thank you this is [also] exactly what I was looking for! same question as I posed to Mustang, do you just have a standard off the shelf makeup of whatever lofts you prefer?

Thanks!!

4 minutes ago, DarthFader17 said:

Thank you this is [also] exactly what I was looking for! same question as I posed to Mustang, do you just have a standard off the shelf makeup of whatever lofts you prefer?

Thanks!!

Wedges I have TS2 GW then TSW in 54, and 58 all stated lofts but bent 1* flat. Shafts wise I use something just a touch heavier than what’s in my irons. I use steelfiber 110 in my irons sk fiber 120 wedge shafts. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 6:37 AM, ericft said:

If anyone is interested in a set of TS2 heads 4-gw in very good shape with less than 8 rounds on them let me know. Was going to list them on here. 

Did you sell the TS-2 heads ?

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Just finishing these up for my son, about the only choice for a lefty. Nippon 1050GH stiff, MOI match build.

IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

Edited by apexironman
  • Like 3

Cobra Radspeed xB Driver - UST Mamiya Helium Nanocore 4F2

Cobra Speedzone 4W - UST Mamiya Helium Nanocore 4F2

Cobra F9 7W

Mizuno MC Fli-Hi 4H - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Mizuno 919F 6-GW - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Mizuno 919 SW - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Txema JMO 60 LW 

Slighter Redmond

5 minutes ago, apexironman said:

Just finishing these up for my son, about the only choice for a lefty. Nippon 1050GH stiff, MOI match build.

IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

Very cool build. I have not set myself up for MOI builds but I would really like to venture into those. 

I have also lost my STi2 heads and really wanted to test those but they have vanished. Let us know how he likes those. 

47 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

Very cool build. I have not set myself up for MOI builds but I would really like to venture into those. 

I have also lost my STi2 heads and really wanted to test those but they have vanished. Let us know how he likes those. 

Sure thing! I did build a set of these for my daughter a couple months ago, she really likes them.

Cobra Radspeed xB Driver - UST Mamiya Helium Nanocore 4F2

Cobra Speedzone 4W - UST Mamiya Helium Nanocore 4F2

Cobra F9 7W

Mizuno MC Fli-Hi 4H - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Mizuno 919F 6-GW - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Mizuno 919 SW - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Txema JMO 60 LW 

Slighter Redmond

Good morning folks,

This is one of the best threads on wrx. Stopping in today to offer a review of the new, patented XCaliber Rapid Taper iron shafts that @Popeye64 has been putting together with Maltby PTM heads as demos. He sent me a PTM Chrome with an RT 95g softstepped once and a PTM Black with a 75g soft-stepped once (for consistency in

demos). Popeye and I have been corresponding and talking about these shafts. I’ve also been emailing with Robin Arthur, the inventor of these shafts, as I had gotten to know him a few years back. I love the innovation and enthusiasm Robin brings to golf.

I’m going to start by saying these shafts are incredible, I have never seen anything like them, and I was surprised and elated by their performance. 

For reference: I hover in that 6-9 handicap range, but when I played a lot I got down to scratch and I did play competitively as a junior and in high school many, many years ago. Irons are very much the strength of my game, along with putting. When I am good off the tee I can play pretty well. I tend to like forged irons and stable shafts, but they need to feel good. So I fit into a Project X Rifle 6.0 but for feel I play the 5.5 and even the 5.0 and they hold up. Also like Dynamic Gold 120 s300, KBS $Taper and CTaper Lites. Tend to stay in that 110-120g range. So swirching to graphites has been a challenge to match that stability. 

I kept an open mind in hitting these shafts. I thought they might be too light. 

I did four range sessions, two just hitting and two with top tracer. I am not all that into launch monitors. I like to see the flight and landing and I know. But data helps in testing. I took them on course once. 

I hit these RT shafted 6 irons against other 6 irons with PX Rifle 5.5, KBS $Taper 120, Steelfiber 110R, DG 120 and DG Black Golds. 

To not drag this out, I will list bullet points and if anyone wants more, we’ll keep the discussion going.

1. I have no idea how the RT shafts work, but they work. They launch high but they launch strong. Carry is excellent. To me they have stability traits of Project X if the Project X felt 10 times better. 

2. Think a shaft with a rapid taper will be loose? Well, they’re not. Even a little stout. The 95g stiff is a real stiff. I even felt I might play Reg in that weight. The 75 stiff felt just right in terms of flex. This surprised me. 

3. Hitting them is addictive. They do have a nice bullwhip snap to them, yet not flimsy. I found myself pulling them out at the range

more often because they are really fun to hit. Ya can’t stop hitting them. It’s like trying to eat one potato chip. 

4. There is some giddy-up in these shafts. I am not a super fast player, but probably above average. I was getting more ballspeed out of the PTM/RT combo than any other — 126 mph. They even beat the hollow 2020 Cobra Forged Tec w/$Taper (123). The fully forged PTM head also is exceptional. First look I thought the blade was too long. Performance ended that concern. So I am not an engineer and have no idea how these shafts gave me more speed, but they do. This tested true in both Top Tracer sessions. I was a club longer with the PTM/RT vs same loft heads. 

5. Now for something weird: I hit the 75g version LOWER than the 95. I just deliver the club at impact differently it seems. The 95g feels heavier in my hands and it may make me a little steeper. The 75g I can hit any trajectory but the stock shot is a screaming, mid to high rocket that stops dead. If I lean on it, it don’t care. 

6. I let a young man near me test these as he has an aggressive swing. He absolutely hammered the 95g shaft and said he found they felt great and not loose at all. 

Odds I will play these shafts: 100 percent. I have hit so many graphite shafts and I only like a few — Fuji, Accra and KBS TGI. I like these Rapid Tapers the best.

Still undecided as to which Rapid Taper but the leader in the clubhouse is the 75g stiff, probably straight in. Still want to test the 95 reg and maybe the upcoming 85g version to see if one is even more optimal. I would never have imagined I’d like a 75g shaft. It was popeye’s idea to send it. I only was going to test the 95g. So if you try them, be open minded. They require a fit because they are unique. That’s why they are a patented design. 

I enjoyed the PTM Blacks so much (the black really does make them look smaller) that when Popeye told me Golfworks only had a few dozen sets left, I immediately ordered 4-G and those arrived Friday.

As I am over 50, I am sharpening up my game to enter some senior amateur events in 2021 just for fun. The Rapid Taper shafts are the shafts I am going to play. Just need to dial in the fit. I sent Popeye’s demos off to the next tester in Tulsa and I already miss them. Including a photo here so you can see the rapid taper vs other shafts. Hit ‘em well everyone!

476F6649-7DFE-480B-B076-0D27FC653DEE.jpeg

• Like 4

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Out on the range today to do driver testing i brought out 3 7is. A PTM a TS-1 and a Hogan PTx. The PTM has a 75g S flex softstepped. TS-1 has a 95g softstepped. The Hogan has an 85g S flex. 

I keep going back to the PTM with the 75g shaft. Its just the easiest to hit in every way. The TS-1 made an excellent showing and may have been the most consistent. 

The Hogan again proved temperamental with the 85g at full S flex. I just don't think i am loading the sjaft enough to get the real benefit from it. 

Definitely error on the softer side with these shafts. I handed all three to a good player today. He was playing kbs 120 S flex shafts. He again like me preferred the PTM with the 75g but the Hogan with the 85g was a close second. He commented how he seemed to have much better tempo with the Rapid Taper shafts. How easy they seemed to swing. 

Its been pretty wild how well these shafts keep being received. The guy on the range will be reshafting his clubs. 

I have to say I'm not happy to see the PTM heads disappear. Lots and I mean lots of players when exposed to all three heads, back to back...TS-1, TS-2 and the PTM... chose the PTM head. 

• Like 1