Maltby TS2

Popeye64

On 12/7/2020 at 3:11 PM, Thefonzzz said:

I re-shafted  my PTM’s with RT75 from stock TT lite and re griped with JumboMax light. I was wondering about counter balancing? Also interested in the Excalibur PRO TSL S to replace my PingG410 Alta CB S 45.75”, thinking about going 1” shorter ? Anybody got any experience with counterbalancing and the TSL shaft?

I had forgotten to get back to your question on the Pro TSL and counter balancing. 

I find counter balancing to work great on a shaft that's a bit heavy and you want it to feel a bit lighter. 

I had a heavyweight grip for a brief while with a TSL shaft and it just never felt right. The TSL is already a super liteweight shaft. Adding a heavy grip or weight to the butt makes it feel like a feather. Just never felt right in the tempo department. I have an aggressive transition and 105-108 SS... just couldn't seem to time it right. It may work with a less aggressive swing. 

How do you guys think the STi2 heads would work for a female high school player who needs a lighter graphite shaft? Also any idea how far to go with irons before switching to hybrids for such a player?

I was thinking 6-GW but I don't really know.

Any recommendations on lighter graphite shafts for female high school players?

Thanks all!

1 hour ago, mgoblue83 said:

How do you guys think the STi2 heads would work for a female high school player who needs a lighter graphite shaft? Also any idea how far to go with irons before switching to hybrids for such a player?

Thanks all!

I built a full set of STi2s for a 22yo female golfer. She was fairly strong and athletic. She previously was using a set of Titleist Ap2s with S300 shafts and got along fairly well with those. I went with the lighter TT Score Lt shafts. She couldn't be happier. Near perfect fit for her. 

You left out a lot of details on your player. What is her ss, how aggressive of a swing does she have. How tall and strong is she... 

If she is a slower ss player the better head for her is the M890. If she is an aggressive player and growing her game get her the STi2s. Where to break the irons to hybrids is also very player dependent. It all depends on what they can handle. 

As for shafts,, that falls into that same category of you need more information. You can stick with Maltbys house brand graphite shafts and do very well with those. Just try to to get her flex right and again you need more info.

Edited by Popeye64
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

Thanks all!

I think Popeye pretty well covered it. Who is saying she needs graphite shafted irons? Does she need some help in hitting it; higher and farther? 

the maltby pro series and L tech shafts are very good shafts. They will help for hitting the ball

higher with lighter weight shafts. 

Edited by Colej
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, larryo said:

What iron clubheads would you recommend for a beginning/new golfer?  Also, any shaft recommendations?

Thanks

These right here. I have a set I made, 6 thru sw and they are perfect for beginners/mid cap. Anybody could use them. Appropriate bounce, offset, cavity back, great gamers! 

https://www.monarkgolf.com/golf-components/clubheads/golf-iron-heads/dynacraft-prophet-cb-iron-head.html

• Confused 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

On 12/19/2020 at 6:45 PM, mgoblue83 said:

Thanks all!

I made a set (5-GW) of Sti2's for my daughter (5' 6", 100lb) using Miyazaki Jinsoku graphite shafts from eBay.  R flex, SSx1.  She really likes them and hits them well.

IMG_2256.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

• Like 3

Cobra Radspeed xB Driver - UST Mamiya Helium Nanocore 4F2

Cobra Speedzone 4W - UST Mamiya Helium Nanocore 4F2

Cobra F9 7W

Mizuno MC Fli-Hi 4H - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Mizuno 919F 6-GW - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Mizuno 919 SW - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Txema JMO 60 LW 

Slighter Redmond

On 10/29/2020 at 4:17 PM, Colej said:

I love my TSW wedges!!

I just finally took the plunge and holy smokes, one round and I'm in love. They may be the most intuitive wedges I've ever played. (granted, I am not a wedge guru or anything) but wow, just instantly able to do whatever I wanted with them, and I NEVER play the "1 hop and stop, low spinner" and to be fair, didn't even know that I "could" do it, but one round and it just kind of kept happening, and then I could reproduce it (!)

These things feel great and the grind is just perfect, after 5 shots on the practice green I was able to determine when I wanted to use heel relief vs. square vs. open etc. Super wet conditions and they performed perfectly, and yet, there are a couple really dry tight lie areas and they "nipped" it perfectly. Like the perfect wedge setup for me personally. Just have not had a chance out of a real bunker

I come from the M+ and MG tour and I thought those were great wedges, but my goodness, the blanket I could drop on the balls I was hitting, I've never been able to do that before. Seriously good stuff.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Britt I happened to be on the phone with him today with some shaft business.

But while I had his ear I asked about some of the new gear....

He is pumped about the new Hy-way, not sure if spelling is right. Says it's just a really fun club to hit. Half fairway-half hybrid. He was really high on that design. 

Big news for the M + series replacement that I'm not sure I can mention yet. A new finish for the TSW that is DBM-Like... BUT BENDABLE!! Industry first finish coming out on that one. A new KE4 iron and a few other fun items. The new forgings are probably gonna be 2020 clubs as they just want them perfect. With the huge success of the TS-1 and 2 they have to be excellent and not just another head. 

Should be a fun year with some of these products. But will have to be patient with the forged iron designs. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

Speaking of Britt I happened to be on the phone with him today with some shaft business.

He is pumped about the new Hy-way, not sure if spelling is right. Says it's just a really fun club to hit. Half fairway-half hybrid. He was really high on that design. 

Big news for the M + series replacement that I'm not sure I can mention yet. A new finish for the TSW that is DBM-Like... BUT BENDABLE!! Industry first finish coming out on that one. A new KE4 iron and a few other fun items. The new forgings are probably gonna be 2020 clubs as they just want them perfect. With the huge success of the TS-1 and 2 they have to be excellent and not just another head. 

Should be a fun year with some of these products. But will have to be patient with the forged iron designs. 

Did he give you any indication on release time for the HyoWay? Thats the one new club from anyone manufacturer I'm interested in.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Just now, Popeye64 said:

No but I would expect it much sooner than later. 

Thanks. The Xcaliber SL fairway shafts for them are enroute.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

4 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

No need to be patient (except for the new forged designs) with an iron head as good & inexpensive as the STi2 !!

• Like 3

Popeye-  I am saving a spot for the HY-WAY in my bag.  I think it will be a very versatile 7 wood/hybrid TOOL!!

A few rounds in with my PTM and it will be difficult to choose my bag.   TS-2/TS-1 Combo, or PTM.

I really like the PW and GW for chipping in the PTM.     When it gets warmer I can get a better read on distances etc..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mustang said:

Popeye-  I am saving a spot for the HY-WAY in my bag.  I think it will be a very versatile 7 wood/hybrid TOOL!!

A few rounds in with my PTM and it will be difficult to choose my bag.   TS-2/TS-1 Combo, or PTM.

I really like the PW and GW for chipping in the PTM.     When it gets warmer I can get a better read on distances etc..

When Britt gets excited about a new product you know its gonna be good. 

That HY-WAY would also fill a nice spot for me. I could use a club that will fly 205-210 out of the weeds and land soft. This might be it.

The PTM hit home with me in a way that surprised me. 

A no frills head that has a sole that will forgive my digger ways. Great if not terrific feel. 4° loft gaps. More than enough distance without any fliers. Plus a blade length that allows a wonky swing day to not totally ruin your score. 

They don't have the distance of the TS-2 but that's not an issue for me. They are more forgiving that the TS-1 in a lot of ways. More so when I have an off day. My off days with the TS-1s can be bad. 

I have about 4 sets of irons I can grab when I head out and I grab the PTMs far more than any other. 

I have a new set of PTMs in a box for when I wear out the current set. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

When Britt gets excited about a new product you know its gonna be good. 

That HY-WAY would also fill a nice spot for me. I could use a club that will fly 205-210 out of the weeds and land soft. This might be it.

The PTM hit home with me in a way that surprised me. 

A no frills head that has a sole that will forgive my digger ways. Great if not terrific feel. 4° loft gaps. More than enough distance without any fliers. Plus a blade length that allows a wonky swing day to not totally ruin your score. 

They don't have the distance of the TS-2 but that's not an issue for me. They are more forgiving that the TS-1 in a lot of ways. More so when I have an off day. My off days with the TS-1s can be bad. 

I have about 4 sets of irons I can grab when I head out and I grab the PTMs far more than any other. 

I have a new set of PTMs in a box for when I wear out the current set. 

Popeye, aren't hybrids already Wood/Iron hybrids? Look at the New titleist offerings, Tsi2 Hybrid and Tsi3 Hybrid. I would certainly categorize the Tsi3 as an Iron leaning hybrid and the Tsi2 as a Hy-Way, in how you're describing it. Is this something different?

Thanks Popeye-  I am looking for the very thing you are.  Between my F-6 Baffler set at 16 degrees and what I decide to use for  #5 iron/hybrid.    I will be on the look out for a #5 iron in PTM chrome to put in my arsenal.   I bent the 6 iron 1.5 degrees strong to see if it will fit the bill and have my trusty KE-4 tour 22 degree next..    It seems to play a bit short so the Hyway at 20-21 degrees has me intrigued for sure.  

I agree on the forgiveness on lesser swings..  I see them being a "Money" set for certain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Therty said:

Popeye, aren't hybrids already Wood/Iron hybrids? Look at the New titleist offerings, Tsi2 Hybrid and Tsi3 Hybrid. I would certainly categorize the Tsi3 as an Iron leaning hybrid and the Tsi2 as a Hy-Way, in how you're describing it. Is this something different?

This could be a rehash of an already done design. We have seen all sorts of various hybrids and fairways that bridge the gap, but he seems pretty adamant that he is on to a new approach. 

They certainly are not afraid to innovate so who knows exactly what it will be. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

This could be a rehash of an already done design. We have seen all sorts of various hybrids and fairways that bridge the gap, but he seems pretty adamant that he is on to a new approach. 

They certainly are not afraid to innovate so who knows exactly what it will be. 

As usual Britt has us waiting, always exciting when new stuff hits.

The ct250 hybrids were .335 or was it .350.....they were essentially mini fwy. woods.  Also remember Golfsmith having a .350 line of woods/hybrids-HiCor line...might still have an old hicor 3h laying around.  It had offset though and was more traditional hybrid shape.  Those were some fun days for clubmakers.  Snake Eyes Quick Strike also had several .335 version hybrids!  Kinda right in between a fwy and hybrid.  Loved the QSII!

Edited by ode

24 minutes ago, ode said:

The ct250 hybrids were .335 or was it .350.....they were essentially mini fwy. woods.  Also remember Golfsmith having a .350 line of woods/hybrids-HiCor line...might still have an old hicor 3h laying around.  It had offset though and was more traditional hybrid shape.  Those were some fun days for clubmakers.  Snake Eyes Quick Strike also had several .335 version hybrids!  Kinda right in between a fwy and hybrid.  Loved the QSII!

ct 250's were .350

• Like 1

Pulled the trigger on a KE4TC hybrid 22* today, uST Proforce V2 85g shaft.

Im playing an Adams Dhy proto as a 4i replacement now and its just a little too demanding with my developing new swing, and my short crappy driver or 3w off the tee leaves me a lot of 200-215 yard shots that I struggle with.

Hopefully the Ke4 is a bit less demanding. I was torn between the STiH, but the hybrid looks a bit strange with the wonky fins (i think the fairway looks good though) and the alignment dot is off center of the head.

Edit: And the hyWay just landed on the website - looks like a 7w and looks great. If the Ke4 TC doesn't do the job that will definitely be my next stop... it looks great

Edited by Therty