Maltby TS2

Popeye64

On 1/29/2021 at 8:13 AM, Popeye64 said:

That's a mystery, seems he can't divulge that fact. 

I can check a 52 vs a 56 later tonight. 

I heard was jmo

On 2/4/2021 at 9:47 PM, Popeye64 said:

I've gotta say that across the board the Maltby gear has been killing it. In that entire catalog the new gear is as good as any line up in Golf. 

I brought a KE4 TC driver head out the other night as I gave away my Sim test driver head. I had an Xcaliber Pro TSL shaft which is under 50 g when trimmed. So it's about as lite as can be. Couldn't control it for the life of me till I realized I had a 4g weight in the head and the club swing weighted at C7.5. I put in a 12g weight and BOOM.. straight as an arrow and a 260 carry. I could not beat it with a new SIM 2 driver that I grabbed from the demo rack. Another case that proves how well this gear keeps pace with the latest drivers available. 

Is Ralph Maltby still involved?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thayneil said:

I heard was jmo

Is Ralph Maltby still involved?

As far as I know he is. Its owned by Dicks/Golf Galaxy now. Not sure how big of a role he takes now adays though. 

The ground work he has laid down in head design Principals resonates through every thing they build. 

9 hours ago, TallGuy90 said:

Ordered a TS-2 7 iron head to try in DG120s300. I really loved the PTMs. I wanted to try the TS-1 but I am a toe striker so need that forgiveness. 

Both the TS-1 and TS-2 are obnoxiously forgiving out of the toe. I've been surprised I've hit some greens when I've barely hit the clubface.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TallGuy90 said:

Ordered a TS-2 7 iron head to try in DG120s300. I really loved the PTMs. I wanted to try the TS-1 but I am a toe striker so need that forgiveness. 

All Maltby iron designs are forgiving towards the toe, because they make it a priority to locate the COG (sweet-spot) in the dead center of the face...and further out from the hosel (relative to their size) than many other designs from the various brands.

The TS-1 and TS-2 have the extra help of a flexible face, in addition to the beneficial COG location

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

You guys think a high handicap can play them?

There is a difference of course in forgiveness between the TS-1 and the TS-2. 

I would recommend hitting both. The set can be played as a split set which is something I do recommend. TS-1 up to say the 8i or 7i and the TS-2 to the 5i or 4i. 

I can send you a demo 6i of each and see for yourself. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

There is a difference of course in forgiveness between the TS-1 and the TS-2. 

I would recommend hitting both. The set can be played as a split set which is something I do recommend. TS-1 up to say the 8i or 7i and the TS-2 to the 5i or 4i. 

I can send you a demo 6i of each and see for yourself. 

Thanks , how much would that cost?

I'm excited about Maltby, I've got a TS1 7 iron shafted with a Fujikura Pro 95 stiff flex on the way right now to try out. I'm interested in building up a split set of 5 & 6 TS2, 7-GW of TS1 assuming I like what I feel with the trial club. Hopefully I get a little bit lower spin and maybe slightly lower flight out of these guys.

• Like 1

DR: Cobra F9 10.5°|Atmos TS Blue 6 Stiff

3W: Cobra F9 14.5°|Atmos TS Blue 6 Stiff

5W: Cobra F9 18.5°|Atmos TS Blue 6 Stiff

4HCobra F9 21°|Atmos 7 Stiff

5-PW: Srixon Z585|NS Pro 950GH Neo Stiff

GW: Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50°.10@48°|Tour Issue S400

SW: Mizuno S5 54°.8@53°|DG Wedge (S200)

LW: Cleveland RTX3 58°.12|DG Wedge (S200)

Putter: Odyssey 2MCS

2 hours ago, Herminzerah said:

I'm excited about Maltby, I've got a TS1 7 iron shafted with a Fujikura Pro 95 stiff flex on the way right now to try out. I'm interested in building up a split set of 5 & 6 TS2, 7-GW of TS1 assuming I like what I feel with the trial club. Hopefully I get a little bit lower spin and maybe slightly lower flight out of these guys.

That is exactly the set I play.  Used them all last season which is an accomplishment for me.  I tend to experiment.   I initially went with TS-2 except PW/GW.   Bought the PW.   Then started adding the TS-1.   #9, then #8 and #7.   I will end up with a #6 iron as there is no reason not to have one.

I split the set several ways...  The last two months of this season I used the #5-6 TS-2 and then TS-1 #7-GW.  

Do yourself a favor the pick up the TSW wedges.   Hands down the best wedge ever.   I am a HS golf coach for 31 years and play to a 4-6 cap.    The Maltby stuff right now is SOOOOOOOO good.  They have been good for some time, but really have their most complete lineup where every single thing in the catalog is something I would recommend.   That has not always been the case.   I have built their stuff since 2000 FWIW..   

I prefer Maltby over Wishon and others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mustang said:

That is exactly the set I play.  Used them all last season which is an accomplishment for me.  I tend to experiment.   I initially went with TS-2 except PW/GW.   Bought the PW.   Then started adding the TS-1.   #9, then #8 and #7.   I will end up with a #6 iron as there is no reason not to have one.

I split the set several ways...  The last two months of this season I used the #5-6 TS-2 and then TS-1 #7-GW.  

Do yourself a favor the pick up the TSW wedges.   Hands down the best wedge ever.   I am a HS golf coach for 31 years and play to a 4-6 cap.    The Maltby stuff right now is SOOOOOOOO good.  They have been good for some time, but really have their most complete lineup where every single thing in the catalog is something I would recommend.   That has not always been the case.   I have built their stuff since 2000 FWIW..   

I prefer Maltby over Wishon and others.

For now I am going to keep my Mizuno S5 and Cleveland RTX3, though I was looking at the TSW wedges, they do look respectable just like the irons. I am happy with my current setup as they have been reasonable strong for me, but I am not opposed to eventually moving on.

DR: Cobra F9 10.5°|Atmos TS Blue 6 Stiff

3W: Cobra F9 14.5°|Atmos TS Blue 6 Stiff

5W: Cobra F9 18.5°|Atmos TS Blue 6 Stiff

4HCobra F9 21°|Atmos 7 Stiff

5-PW: Srixon Z585|NS Pro 950GH Neo Stiff

GW: Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50°.10@48°|Tour Issue S400

SW: Mizuno S5 54°.8@53°|DG Wedge (S200)

LW: Cleveland RTX3 58°.12|DG Wedge (S200)

Putter: Odyssey 2MCS

On 8/11/2020 at 1:07 AM, TownesVZ said:

bf2f394e-15d3-4bcc-8dd3-9fa8f89dff4d.jpeg

ece18756-62b7-4c72-b087-e30fbc52e774.jpegI wanted to share these here, think you all might be the only corner of the internet to appreciate. An overnight soak in vinegar took the DBM off with a little elbow grease. They were just sitting in my garage, so a fun project, but definitely thinking about gaming them again now!

Those I really like😳😎

On 7/7/2020 at 5:34 AM, Popeye64 said:

Its amazing how well you can score by keeping the ball in play and in the fairway.

I just got some of the STi2 irons in as well as the 890.

20200706-200143.jpgThe 890 is a typical UGI iron for older/woman players. Graphics can work for either of those players.

Sti2 is a very interesting iron. The cavity is back cut but is supported in the middle. Right under the gold circle is a support that would be right below ball contact. For an inexpensive iron it looks great.

Im shipping the 890 down to my 82 yo step dad who golf's every day. Ill have a Rapid Taper in that one. Very interested to see gow he does with it.

Ill make up the STI2 in some PRO X shafts and have them for demos. Looking forward to hitting that one.

Just about time to head back out to sea for two weeks.

I like the looks of the 890 but it starts at a 6 iron, that alone lets me out on it. How’d  it turn out for you Pops? 

Great..... I found my perfect iron in the PTM forged ( I bought a 5 iron head to demo a while back ) and now they discontinue it 🤬. Are they replacing it ? If they do make a 2i and 3i.. they are so forgiving ! Maybe a little more bounce too throughout the set. 

anybody got a set of PTM’s they’d be willing to part with ?  🙂 

14 hours ago, boggyman said:

I like the looks of the 890 but it starts at a 6 iron, that alone lets me out on it. How’d  it turn out for you Pops? 

The 890s I sent on to my step father and he is in love with them. Rapid taper A flex has totally transformed his game. I built up the STi2s and hit them a few times. I was very impressed with the overall feel and performance. The set sold before I have a chance to actually play with them. Building another set next week. First guy who hit the STi2 clubs had to have them. 

Its a lot of club for the money.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

The 890s I sent on to my step father and he is in love with them. Rapid taper A flex has totally transformed his game. I built up the STi2s and hit them a few times. I was very impressed with the overall feel and performance. The set sold before I have a chance to actually play with them. Building another set next week. First guy who hit the STi2 clubs had to have them. 

Its a lot of club for the money.

I’m very interested In MALTBY after reading the 53 pages in the thread. Thanks for all the great info from you. You say your off to sea for two weeks, you on a ship? I work on a riverboat on the lower Mississippi River 28 days at a time myself. Thank you again for all your input!!

10 minutes ago, boggyman said:

I’m very interested In MALTBY after reading the 53 pages in the thread. Thanks for all the great info from you. You say your off to sea for two weeks, you on a ship? I work on a riverboat on the lower Mississippi River 28 days at a time myself. Thank you again for all your input!!

I run a sea going ATB. Work the north east. 7200 hp tug and a 135k bbl barge. 

20210215_131322.jpg

• Like 4

I think I once told @Popeye64 I did financial consulting in the tugboat business in the Houston ship channel, and how two ships (one entering, one leaving) would play "Texas chicken."  Literally ships heading toward one another then each doing a sharp right at the last second, so both ships had room to navigate the channel without hitting the sides.  Absolutely amazing how those huge vessels navigate on water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, games said:

I think I once told @Popeye64 I did financial consulting in the tugboat business in the Houston ship channel, and how two ships (one entering, one leaving) would play "Texas chicken."  Literally ships heading toward one another then each doing a sharp right at the last second, so both ships had room to navigate the channel without hitting the sides.  Absolutely amazing how those huge vessels navigate on water.

I almost got hit midships on a Texas Chicken gone bad. That channel is nuts. 

• Confused 1