Maltby TS2

Popeye64

I went over the data from today and it was pretty interesting. I took iron samples before and after driver testing. On the second go round of the irons I was pretty tired and the data shows exactly that. I'll sort it all out and post it up. It was from my Mevo. Distances are off but consistent. I don't think I have altitude dial in. 

Ok some very interesting data... @dmeeksDC had noticed that the 75g was a little lower than the 95g. So I wanted to pay attention to the numbers today. Granted it's three different heads but it tells an interesting story. PTM 7i 75g softstepped S. PTx Pro 7i 85g S. TS-1 7i 95g softstepped S. The Hogan is a little more than 1° weaker, observed loft.

In the first session I was fairly fresh but far from my mid season swing. Kind of struggling a bit this week. 

Hit 8-10 shots with each club and jumped back in to swing all three a second time so it was a total of near 12-14 swings total for each. 

Pardon the scratch paper but there is no way to sort the data with the mevo and I'm not doing a spread sheet.

In the first session the TS-1 put in the best numbers. (In both sessions actually.) PTM was second with the Hogans close behind. I struggled to control the Hogans the most, it did well but the other two killed it in accuracy. The PTMs seem easy by contrast and by eye I was sure the PTMs were the best. I really need to soften up the flex on the Hogan. The S is just not letting me let the shaft do the work. I have to work that club. In contrast the other two just swing with ease. 

In the second session. I was exhausted from the driver go round. So my swing speed was way down but steady. Now the numbers change was eye opening. With a slower swing the launch was much higher. Spin went up, as well as over all height. The TS-1 spin numbers were suspect as 3 balls were 4200 rpm, wrecking the average. But the consistency of the numbers from session to session was really surprising. 

Again thr TS-1 was on top followed by the PTM and then the Hogan. I do find my self swinging the PTM with better tempo and I'm pretty sure it slows me down a bit, but in a good way. I just know its gonna be a good shot coming from that head. It also showed the lowest flight. I think the dynamic loft of the PTM 75 combo is less as the shaft does have a bit more flex in it. The feel is just amazing and its something you just want to hit again and again. 

I just shipped out that TS-1 7i to be demoed and wish I kept it around..  I want to spend more time with it. Take a look at the two sessions and how they changed. Quite drastic. Sorry for the monster post. 

20201019_191701.jpg

• Like 1

Just so interesting how a shaft change can produce varied results. I don’t know the profile of the two shafts, such as whether the 75 stiff is the same stiffness as the 95, only 20 grams lighter, or whether there is a CPM difference. My experience is I sensed the 95 as both considerably heavier in the hands and definitely stiffer too. Does the RT design move a little more weight to the hands? Don’t know. 

How that affected me? Would like to see video of me swinging with each. I was launching the 75 lower for sure, even when measured on Top Tracer. 

The conventional thinking that heavier shafts will lower launch really is based on similar strikes, the same angles, etc. My miss, however, is to hang back, not get my weight to the left side and then come in steep and flip at impact. I do know when I do it and I have learned how to avoid it, which is slow down a half-best. Flipping can produce some extra launch you dont really want. The 95 stiff felt like a little more work. With the 75 I felt like I was not laboring and was getting through the ball better and taking more loft off at impact.  What’s unusual about these shafts to me is they feel a notch heavier than the total shaft weight might suggest. The 75 to me took only a few swings to get adjusted, and if you had handed it to me and told me it weighs 95 grams I would have believed you. I could see going all 75 stiff or go 75 in long irons and move to 95 reg in short irons, even though I have yet to hit the 95 reg. But I think even if based on swingspeed the 95 stiff might be the proper fit, if it feels too stiff to me, I don’t want that thought when I’m playing. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

9 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Just so interesting how a shaft change can produce varied results. I don’t know the profile of the two shafts, such as whether the 75 stiff is the same stiffness as the 95, only 20 grams lighter, or whether there is a CPM difference. My experience is I sensed the 95 as both considerably heavier in the hands and definitely stiffer too. Does the RT design move a little more weight to the hands? Don’t know. 

How that affected me? Would like to see video of me swinging with each. I was launching the 75 lower for sure, even when measured on Top Tracer. 

The conventional thinking that heavier shafts will lower launch really is based on similar strikes, the same angles, etc. My miss, however, is to hang back, not get my weight to the left side and then come in steep and flip at impact. I do know when I do it and I have learned how to avoid it, which is slow down a half-best. Flipping can produce some extra launch you dont really want. The 95 stiff felt like a little more work. With the 75 I felt like I was not laboring and was getting through the ball better and taking more loft off at impact.  What’s unusual about these shafts to me is they feel a notch heavier than the total shaft weight might suggest. The 75 to me took only a few swings to get adjusted, and if you had handed it to me and told me it weighs 95 grams I would have believed you. I could see going all 75 stiff or go 75 in long irons and move to 95 reg in short irons, even though I have yet to hit the 95 reg. But I think even if based on swingspeed the 95 stiff might be the proper fit, if it feels too stiff to me, I don’t want that thought when I’m playing. 

The stiffness of both shafts as well as CPM are built to the same specs. The taper moves down the shaft with the 95g as thats where it gains its weight. With the less mass of the 75 it plays with a little more flex. 

You are also right about perceived weight. Most players I hand this to as surprised its a 75g and even more surprised that they can crush it. If you asked everyone of them before hand, they all say a 75g is way too lite for them. 

• Like 2

Still loving PTM irons. Deciding on shaft to put in them for my new 4-GW set. Ordered  the 4iron and GW to complete my set and bought a kuro kage graphite iron shaft to try. I am quite surprised by this shaft. It is a stiff, but on the waggle test it feels really weak. I think it has a very flexible tip which gives it this feeling. Anyway after installing into the PTM 5 iron, it feels great. Lots of pureish shots from a highcapper that has trouble finding center. This is beating out the recoil 660 which have been my go to shaft for a few years. I like the rapid taper 75 stiff as well, I think those are beating the recoils as well(have one straight in and one soft stepped, the soft stepped feels better but less consistent if I don't swing real easy), but the kuro kage seems to be an even better fit. Ordered 3 more kuro kage shafts to try in a few other irons before deciding to finish the set with them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ninjab said:

Still loving PTM irons. Deciding on shaft to put in them for my new 4-GW set. Ordered  the 4iron and GW to complete my set and bought a kuro kage graphite iron shaft to try. I am quite surprised by this shaft. It is a stiff, but on the waggle test it feels really weak. I think it has a very flexible tip which gives it this feeling. Anyway after installing into the PTM 5 iron, it feels great. Lots of pureish shots from a highcapper that has trouble finding center. This is beating out the recoil 660 which have been my go to shaft for a few years. I like the rapid taper 75 stiff as well, I think those are beating the recoils as well(have one straight in and one soft stepped, the soft stepped feels better but less consistent if I don't swing real easy), but the kuro kage seems to be an even better fit. Ordered 3 more kuro kage shafts to try in a few other irons before deciding to finish the set with them. 

I have the KKs in my TS2s.  And, I agree they tend to play "firm" not stiff.  They've served me well, but as my swing improves, the dispersion is getting worse.  I've got a set of ProModus3 105s in stiff that are planned for some TS1 heads.  But, by Spring my swing could be different, again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ninjab said:

... but the kuro kage seems to be an even better fit. Ordered 3 more kuro kage shafts to try in a few other irons before deciding to finish the set with them. 

Are you referring to the HBP 2Gen shafts?

Edited by Birddog2
p

Ping G400 Max, Ping Tour 65R
Ping G425 5W w/Alta S

Ping i200 5-U w/SteelFiber fc90R

Ping Glide 3 54/12 & 58/6
Odyssey O-Works 330M Black 

On 8/19/2020 at 4:27 AM, games said:

The drawback on the DBM is, of course, lack of bendability.  I don't know the metallurgy behind it, but I do wonder if there is a way to get a forged iron bent to custom spec, and THEN apply DBM finish.  Probably pretty costly...

This is where I'm at needing 3.5*upright or so. It's the only thing stopping me from buying a set of heads

1 hour ago, JhawkDhead said:

Great content in this thread, thanks. May have missed a discussion re this, but I have a question for Popeye and the other fitters/club makers here. What is your opinion on puring shafts? Is it there validity to it? Do you have it done to your shafts which is the ultimate testimonial I guess.

I check for FLO which is another way of pureing. (Flat Plane Oscillation) The official Pureing is done with a high dollar machine. 

The way I do it with a laser pointer attached to the end of the shaft. You weight the laser according to what shaft you are checking. 

The first time you twang a shaft and its out of FLO you can easily see how unstable the shaft is as its swinging back and forth. Its dramatic.  It will oscillate and wobble like crazy.. in FLO the laser just makes a straight line back and through as its twanged. A shaft can have several FLO positions. Or you can go with Paterson shafts who makes shafts that FLO everywhere no matter how they are orientated.

So in my mind as I swing the club I want the most stable orientation I can get. Iron shafts are not as effected by being out of FLO. So many times going label up or down doesn't effect then that much. Shorter beam length. But for drivers and Fw woods I always check. 

Paying for pureing is just a few dollars for each shaft. So for peace of mind i think it's worth it if you can't check yourself. There is a lot of discussion on whether or not this is worth it.. but for me just seeing an unstable shaft wobble all over the place is enough for me to place them in FLO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, games said:

@Popeye64 What are the benefits of the Rapid Taper in general?

Then, for a bunter like me (driver SS low 90s, 6-iron 80), any benefit?

The feeling of load and release is unlike any other shaft. Control, higher ball speed near perfect spin. 

I set up a 78 yo with an A flex and the M890 he gained 10-12 yards and more importantly he restored a flight to his ball. Rather than running it up to the green he was actually flying to ball to the green. 

These have proven across the board to work for all golfers. 

Edited by Popeye64

On 10/24/2020 at 8:16 AM, games said:

@Popeye64 What are the benefits of the Rapid Taper in general?

Then, for a bunter like me (driver SS low 90s, 6-iron 80), any benefit?

Dude, give yourself a bit more credit.  

Low 90s with driver isn't bunting.  It's maybe not Nuke Laloosh, announcing your presence with authority,  but it's far from feeble.  😉

Sincerely

-some guy who whines about the distance he's lost over the last 10 years

Edited by NRJyzr
autocorrect! It's not just for breakfast anymore...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Review:   Maltby TS2 irons (6-GW) with Xcaliber Rapid Taper graphite shafts, 75g, regular flex.

With Popeye64’s advice and help, I have new irons (referenced above).   Before getting the entire set of new irons, I tested a demo TS2 6 iron with the same Xcaliber shaft that Popeye graciously shipped to me.   

I was looking to move to graphite-shafted irons for two reasons.   One, I am 65 years old with bad hands (arthritis and recovering from surgery for Dupuytren’s).   Two, I am looking for a higher ball flight, especially with the mid-irons.  My current 6 iron has become essentially useless with too low a trajectory, undoubtedly due to diminishing swing speed.

I had been playing Ping G irons with Nippon NS Pro 950GH steel shafts, regular flex.   My driver swing speed is about 90 mph.   My handicap ranges between 9 and 11.   Ball striking is the weakest part of my game, and every lower handicap golfer that I play with hits the ball further than I do.

My review is based on observations from several range sessions as well as on-course rounds.   I do not have club or ball data from a launch monitor.

Wow!  The Xcaliber shafts really kick the ball up into the air.   This is just what I was looking for.   And, you don’t have to “jump on it” to get the higher ball flight.   Just swing smoothly and let the shaft do the work.   With the higher ball flight, I’m also getting about a half of club further carry.   Yes, I have flown some iron shots over the green.   

Surprisingly, the Xcaliber shafts do not feel whippy at all.  There’s not a lot of flex in the tip when waggling the club hard.    The TS2 irons with the 75g Xcaliber shafts certainly do not feel too light, even though the shafts are about 20g lighter than my previous Nippon-shafted Ping irons.   The lighter weight Xcaliber shafts probably allow me to swing somewhat faster as evidenced by my increase in distance.   I was never much of a feel player, so I can’t tell you if I have more or less feel of the club head.

The thicker top line of the TS2 club head does not bother me.   I still play my Ping Eye2+ SW and LW, and I’ve played Ping SGI/GI irons all my life.   So, I am not used to a more “classic-looking” blade-like club head.   And, I don’t try to work the ball, preferring to hit the ball straight.   

I haven’t noticed any issues with increased shot dispersion.   The biggest determinant of dispersion for me is putting a good or crappy swing on a shot.   Since I do not have ball data from a launch monitor, I’d suggest that you look at some of the other reviews.   If I put a good swing on a shot, the ball goes where I expect it.   I haven’t experienced any noticeable off-line ball flight when hitting it well.

If you have a similar profile to mine — aging golfer, mid-handicapper, looking for a higher ball flight — then I’d highly recommend looking at the TS2 heads with Xcaliber rapid taper shafts.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2020 at 9:20 AM, Popeye64 said:

The feeling of load and release is unlike any other shaft. Control, higher ball speed near perfect spin. 

I set up a 78 yo with an A flex and the M890 he gained 10-12 yards and more importantly he restored a flight to his ball. Rather than running it up to the green he was actually flying to ball to the green. 

These have proven across the board to work for all golfers. 

Question on the rapid taper iron shafts. With the unique design of the shaft does it add any kind of counter balancing to it? Any need for some tip weights when using the RT 95? 

11 minutes ago, Colej said:

Question on the rapid taper iron shafts. With the unique design of the shaft does it add any kind of counter balancing to it? Any need for some tip weights when using the RT 95? 

When I built the Hogan PTx Pros I needed a lot of weight. With the Maltby heads I need none with most builds. A few stragglers here and there but not like other OEMs. 

There is a bit of counter weighting but its not bad. L

• Thanks 1

Had the TS-1 Rapid Tqper combo out again today and repeated the last time out. Birdie, birdie start. First shot was a 139y Pw to about 8". Next was an 8i 163y par three. 4' for birdie. 

These irons were money all day long and if I could putt better I would have been way way under today. I had far too many three putts today and a bunch of birdie putts left 1" away center cut. Drove my self crazy. 

I've really settled in with this set. Leaving the 75g full flex is perfect. The soft stepped 95g for me is also just right. 

Did a lot better with the 5 iron from the fairway today. Just simply swung easy and let the club do the work. My season is rapidly coming to a close. Next time home will be mid November and you have to get lucky to play that time of year. 

Its gonna kill me to have the Rapid Tapers so well sorted out. Hopefully our winter league will be allowed at the simulator. Last years was canceled right before playoffs. 

• Like 2

When I get home after my two week stint on the boat ill have an interesting head to head challenge for the TS-1s. 

For a return to my golf heydayI ordered the PTx Pros as some of you know. Well I hated and I mean hated how the 8-PW felt even when struck well. I from the get go wanted the Players Combo set but couldn't get them in black. 

Fairway Jockey started to carry the Hogans and you can buy single irons so I grabbed the Hogan Icon 8-Pw. The basic club build was sent with S300 S flex shafts no grips. As cheap as I could get them. Well I did a base line with those shafts installed. First off the feel of the Icons is just about perfect. Its about as pure of a blade as you can get but I found the face very easily. 

The TS-1s were ofcourse longer by about 8 yards by the time I tested both 8 irons. There is a 2° gap on paper there. Didnt have a chance to check lofts but I think its pretty close by the performance. 

So ill have a full bag of irons playoff Hogqn Vs Maltby.. and really put them through their paces. Just hope the weather holds out. I will build the Hogans the same way I built the TS-1s so its an even test. Ill post up the data of the 8-Pw baseline so I can see what improved. If ill say this. Dispersion on the Icon 8-PW was as good as i have seen. I wish the Mevo had more graph data as they would have been one on top of the other. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Golfingmedic said:

Kinda off topic, but has anyone tried the PTM or DBM with the Paderson Ballistic 110 shafts?  Just picked a set up and trying to figure out what heads to use.   Thanks!

I did try the TS Paderson shafts in the TS-2 heads. The ones sold exclusively by Golfworks. I found them to be very good in all aspect except it knocked down spin too much for me. Feel was superior and they went a country mile due to the lower spin. The 110 may play differently, not sure but its certainly a shaft very worthy of experimenting with. 

2 minutes ago, Golfingmedic said:

Thanks Popeye.  I'm a high spin player so I like the thought they might knock some spin off.   Just worried about them launching too high.  Kinda why I'm leaning towards the PTM over the DBM since the DBM is a higher launching head.   But $299 for 9 shafts was too good to pass up.

I do have an account with them if you need any help with any of the other shafts. Its about a 1/3 of retail. Their entire line is very high quality. Not sure why they are not more popular. 

• Like 1