2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Played my all Maltby bag (minus driver) for the first time over the weekend. A lot of toe strikes with the DBM's, but I'm chalking that up to me getting used to the extra length I had my irons built to. They still felt great and when I hit them well performed even better. I hit the 21* STh2 OK. First time I've ever hit a hybrid, so it's also going to take some getting used to. But when I hit it well, it was a mid to high penetrating shot. Will probably end up being a 225ish yard club for me. The biggest take away from my round with the new clubs was how awesome the TSW wedges are. I got a 50, 54 and 58 in the DRM finish. I'm sure some of has to do with how worn out the groves on my old wedges are, but I was checking up chip shots beautifully with the 54 and 58 all day. The are really going to help me control the ball and dial in my chipping/pitching. Had 94 yards to the pin on the #4 par 4 for my second shot. Hit the 54 to 5 feet and the damn thing spun back 20 feet, LOL!! It was the first time I've EVER spun a ball back, so obviously wasn't expecting it. I've got room for one more club in my bag. Need to play some more to see where there are any gaps to decide what I need. Whether it's a wood or another hybrid, it'll definitely be a Maltby!!

Chomping at the bit to get my PTM-5 putter in. Having it built to 37-1/2" with a lie angle of 69 degrees. Components were sent to production last week, so hoping to have it in hand this week. @Popeye64 hasn't stopped talking about it since he got his in, which has me even more anxious to get my hands on after hearing all of his glowing reviews!!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, TallGuy90 said:

They really just need to carry the line at Dicks. I wonder if the Major brands are preventing that.  The cost has to be cheap enough that I am not worried if I don’t love it. Which is about 200 for a set of irons and 100 for a W or H. 

If you go to golfworks in Newark, Ohio you will be able to hit all major OEMs and Maltby clubs side by side. 

Placed the order for the PTM5 putter - and of course the “stock” shaft is on back order till middle of August.   Hopefully I’ll be able to talk them into an “upgrade” - even if I have to spend extra few $$$.  

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

11 hours ago, stasek said:

Placed the order for the PTM5 putter - and of course the “stock” shaft is on back order till middle of August.   Hopefully I’ll be able to talk them into an “upgrade” - even if I have to spend extra few $$$.  

The "stock" shaft is the Apollo double bend 3/8" offset putter shaft. I was in the same boat as you having to wait for that shaft to come in. But after talking with Pat at Golf Works she said the 1/4" offset shaft was in stock. I went with it instead. I'm far from a discerning enough putter to see and feel the difference in 1/8" of offset. Mine is out for delivery today!!

11 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Get the Carbon Steel putter neck installed then you can put virtually any shaft in. @stasek

16249306072733321675737132665694.jpg

I wish Golf Works would've suggested this for me. I had no idea it was an option. I had mine built to 37.5" and 69 degree lie angle. They said they would try to get it as close as they could to 69 degrees, but it would be tough bending a double bend putter shaft without cracking the chrome. That neck would have made it easy and prevented them from having to use an extension to get to 37.5". I'm still ridiculously excited to get mine in, and I'm sure it'll still be an excellent putter for me!!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigTerp1524 said:

I wish Golf Works would've suggested this for me. I had no idea it was an option. I had mine built to 37.5" and 69 degree lie angle. They said they would try to get it as close as they could to 69 degrees, but it would be tough bending a double bend putter shaft without cracking the chrome. That neck would have made it easy and prevented them from having to use an extension to get to 37.5". I'm still ridiculously excited to get mine in, and I'm sure it'll still be an excellent putter for me!!  

They should definitely offer a “premium pak” with the neck.  As far as stock shaft goes - yeah, I noticed the 1/4” offset is in stock.  I’ll be calling them shortly.

• Like 2

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

22 minutes ago, stasek said:

They should definitely offer a “premium pak” with the neck.  As far as stock shaft goes - yeah, I noticed the 1/4” offset is in stock.  I’ll be calling them shortly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, Golf Works was EXTREMELY accommodating to me when I recently had 12 clubs built, including the putter, with some pretty specific instructions. I have nothing but great things to say about them. I just wish I would've know about this option (it's my own fault I didn't ask or explore other options) as I'm trying to get to 69 degrees of lie angle. Hopefully they got it pretty close with the double bend shaft. 

6 minutes ago, DblEgl said:

Great looking putter setup.   Interested to hear more reviews of it's performance.

Hopefully some other guys can chime in shortly but.. after having this in the bag for a few months I stand behind the statement. 

If this putter was stamped as a Bettinardi or a Scotty Cameron no one would hesitate to pay $400 for it. And I've rolled those two brands head to head with the PTM5. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DblEgl said:

Thanks.... May just have to give one a roll.  Love the look.

The two biggest points on this putter. 

When setting up behind the ball it allows my eye make sure the putter is setting up flat behind the ball. An easy fault of mine being toe up. 

How solid the ball comes off the face. I play extremes in green speeds. Either super slow or lightning fast. With the exceptional feel off the face I can quickly adapt to either speed. I couldn't do that as quickly with my Tour IX. 

Edited by Popeye64

19 minutes ago, propman said:

Just put an order in for an assembled tsw drm 52 degree wedge with maltby pro series shaft.  Should be a good compliment to my sti2 irons.

Curious how long it will take for delivery.  All parts are in stock.

I'm in love with my TSW DRM 50, 54 and 58!!!

I had 10 clubs assembled (6 irons, 3 wedges and a hybrid) and shipped within a few days. My putter took close to 2 weeks. I know they are SWAMPED with club builds, so patience is needed.  

21 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

Hopefully some other guys can chime in shortly but.. after having this in the bag for a few months I stand behind the statement. 

If this putter was stamped as a Bettinardi or a Scotty Cameron no one would hesitate to pay $400 for it. And I've rolled those two brands head to head with the PTM5. 

I'm far from a discerning putter tester, but I can say the PTM-5 is easily the nicest putter I've ever used. I've only had it for an evening and only putted a bunch on my indoor mat, but I was immediately blown away. The biggest difference, for a hack like me, is the feel off the face. Like @Popeye64 said above, it's exceptional. With such good feel off the face my speed control should greatly improve, which is the toughest part of my putting game. I've never experienced such good feedback from a putter before. Another thing is I'm a straight back-straight through putter (no arc). This head is so much easier, for me, to make that consistent square-to-square stroke. Whether it's the MOI of the head, the way my eye relates to the head shape, or something else, it's just plain easier to putt with. This putter should really help speed up my goal of grooving a solid, consistent stroke.

38 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

The two biggest points on this putter. 

When setting up behind the ball it allows my eye make sure the putter is setting up flat behind the ball. An easy fault of mine being toe up. 

How solid the ball comes off the face. I play extremes in green speeds. Either super slow or lightning fast. With the exceptional feel off the face I can quickly adapt to either speed. I couldn't do that as quickly with my Tour IX. 

Defiantly a sharp looking putter.  Another case of the in-hand pictures being soooo much better than whatever Maltby uses on the website.  Interested in your take of slow/fast green performance.   Subject to varying conditions due to playing any number of different courses regularly.  

Couple questions: 

What do you estimate the toe hang is with the steel 3.0 hosel adapter?   Do not coexist very well with high toe hang putters.  

With the steel adapter:  Head weight (375g) + hosel weight (47g) = 422g of total weight.  That's hefty!  I'm accustomed to using a ~370g putter, the PTM-5 so outfitted is significantly more.  Are you counter-balancing in some form?  Heavier grip and/or weights?  Could be a sledgehammer without compensating at my customary 35.5" length.  

Anything tricky about installing the adapter perfectly square?  Tight fit would make the task easier.  Getting double bends installed perfectly can be a futzy PITA.  Like the idea of lie adjustability.  But prefer to do the build first, test, then adjust as required.  Thinking I should be able to bend 3 - 4 degrees up.  

I'm a mallet user.  And not a fan of inserts.  The PTM-5 looks intriguing without spending 4 large.  

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

25 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Defiantly a sharp looking putter.  Another case of the in-hand pictures being soooo much better than whatever Maltby uses on the website.  Interested in your take of slow/fast green performance.   Subject to varying conditions due to playing any number of different courses regularly.  

Couple questions: 

What do you estimate the toe hang is with the steel 3.0 hosel adapter?   Do not coexist very well with high toe hang putters.  

With the steel adapter:  Head weight (375g) + hosel weight (47g) = 422g of total weight.  That's hefty!  I'm accustomed to using a ~370g putter, the PTM-5 so outfitted is significantly more.  Are you counter-balancing in some form?  Heavier grip and/or weights?  Could be a sledgehammer without compensating at my customary 35.5" length.  

Anything tricky about installing the adapter perfectly square?  Tight fit would make the task easier.  Getting double bends installed perfectly can be a futzy PITA.  Like the idea of lie adjustability.  But prefer to do the build first, test, then adjust as required.  Thinking I should be able to bend 3 - 4 degrees up.  

I'm a mallet user.  And not a fan of inserts.  The PTM-5 looks intriguing without spending 4 large.  

I'm away from home but I can talk about how I built mine. Can't tell you how it hangs. Don't remember. 

Setting up the neck and shaft can be very tricky. Its best to do it in a little jig. I did mine by eye with a quick setting epoxy. Rather than set it to a certain degree I like to build them to how they sit from my eye line. So when I stand over the putter it looks exactly how I want it to. So the best way to do that is in the playing position, just be a bit patient. You can epoxy the shaft in first and then attach the neck to the putter so you have one less moving piece. 

I used the Carbon Steel insert. The shaft I used is a 95g Rapid Taper s flex which before trimming is high 90g. So I had a weight savings right there. Q The grip is a Super Stroke Pistol GT with weight cartridge. 50g weight. There are three different weight choices for that model 25, 50, 75g. 

For weight and balance.. to me it's perfect. ANYONE.. who has handled the putter immediately comments on how they like the weight. 

• Thanks 1

Have three rounds in with my KE4 Tour 5 wood  With a Kuro Kage HBP shaft.  Being a more seasoned golfer, wanted to move to a lighter weight fairway shaft in A Flex.  With the hope that I'd pickup a few yards without sacrificing dispersion.  And felt it was time to replace my venerable V-Steel.  Not wanting to go through the exercise of a reshaft into an old(er) head.  

Very impressed with the club so far.  Easy to swing and launch, a solid feel to the ball strike.  Haven't even got around to lead tape tweaking yet.  Factoring in the cost to acquire, nothing else is remotely close by comparison.  Plays way above its pay grade. 

The only second guessing I've done since the acquisition is questioning whether I should have selected the 4 wood.  And possibly realized a few more yards.  Distance being a precious commodity at my age. But I'm realizing ~190 yards with the club, mostly straight to a slight draw, so not complaining.  

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Putter has been released to production - yay!  As far as hybrid goes - I think I’ll hold off a bit.  On a whim, decided to reach deep into my stash of old(er) clubs and pulled out  the Adam’s Idea Pro 3h.  Bingo - for now!   

17 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Have three rounds in with my KE4 Tour 5 wood  With a Kuro Kage HBP shaft.  Being a more seasoned golfer, wanted to move to a lighter weight fairway shaft in A Flex.  With the hope that I'd pickup a few yards without sacrificing dispersion.  And felt it was time to replace my venerable V-Steel.  Not wanting to go through the exercise of a reshaft into an old(er) head.  

Very impressed with the club so far.  Easy to swing and launch, a solid feel to the ball strike.  Haven't even got around to lead tape tweaking yet.  Factoring in the cost to acquire, nothing else is remotely close by comparison.  Plays way above its pay grade. 

The only second guessing I've done since the acquisition is questioning whether I should have selected the 4 wood.  And possibly realized a few more yards.  Distance being a precious commodity at my age. But I'm realizing ~190 yards with the club, mostly straight to a slight draw, so not complaining.  

I e been going lighter and lighter with Fairway woods. The results from a lot of players is overly positive. 

If you can get the swing weight right so many players will benefit from a lighter shaft in almost any club. 

For the FWs I am using lightweight driver shafts. In particular the Pro TSL. It's a 50g shaft and my personal KE4 TC 4w has one. There is an initial learning curve but I'm getting way more results with less effort. I'm getting a 230 carry. 

The club swing weighted at D2 without adding weight. 

I actually got a text today from a customer who I built A KE4 TC 4w and a Pro TSL shaft combo. Another rguy who said he couldn't hit a lightweight shaft. I built the club and just said try it. Its free if he didn't like it. 

His text.

"That shaft feels awewome.   I really like it in the 4 wood.  I replaced my old 3 wood with it and i can hit as far if not farther with the 4 wood."

My case is close.