Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Yes I believe they will be good for my game top line is almost identical to STi2 the sole is narrower but with that beautiful front edge relief they could be money, that said I have topped a few more 6i’s with the PTM than STi2 (only 8 shots each. Remember I  have a bad back 😩), and for sure the PTM will take some set up adjustments, but when hit flush it bested the STi2 6-10 yards (small sample 16  shots😂) if you tend to hit thin, best to play the DMB’s from my experience, I played 4 full rounds a week last year and the played both almost equally, I love the DBM it flies high and lands soft, it goes on line when you hit it thin without any dispersion or significant distance penalty , I have had my closest to the pin swings within 100 yds with the DBM , but STi2 has been more forgiving and flies further and I have had no problem with dispersion (I’m not that good 14 handy on good days). I could have saved a lot of testing buying the PTM at the get go but then what fun would that be. Next? Rapid Tapers? Most important thing is to get healthy the tapers will have to wait. Keep it up people I look forward to my all Maltby notifications!

6 hours ago, Flacoman said:

Here's a pic from 2nd swing , FWIW

D-D2014435160_2.jpg

Yea I play Vokey D grind - it’s the best wedge I’ve ever used. So good that I broke my rule of never spending OEM MSRP to get them. Obviously I’ve got a ton of Maltby stuff in the bad so looking into the future I’d love to see the 2 soles side by side.

6 hours ago, rbrdmkr said:

Thank you eBay for these beauty’s, still recovering from a back surgery but it sure is fun building this stuff and reading everyone’s posts on this thread, I am learning so much more about Maltby. I now have two completed sets of irons, Sti2’s these PTM’s (wish I had the 4&5) and a full set of DBM heads that I pulled for a future project. Wanted to share this build even if the ferrules aren’t turned yet, but  I’m pretty pleased. I should buy Popeye a beer for bring the PTM to my attention what a great looking club!

FB5CCBE2-2EB7-4D62-9DBC-C2D87B5D5DF0.jpeg

A9036F76-E9CD-4859-A2BE-FA9DF0E16B4F.jpeg

836AC2D1-99AB-467F-B402-7FA7644557D7.jpeg

Agree with TallGuy, best Maltby iron and I’ve tried several.  What shafts do you have?  I’ve also tried several shafts and my favorite is the Aldila NV 95. 

Fujikura Pro 63i purchased on eBay new cobra F7 iron overruns, they fit my swing speed and at 65gr and a Winn 23gr grip they SW at D2 I did have to add 6 or 8 grams to the grip on some of the irons to keep the SW consistent. They are a mid torque mid bend shaft. I have Nipon gh950 shafts in the gap and 52 56 wedges mostly because I had them on hand. I’m not a big swinger 85/90 Driver and 75mph six iron with a smooth transition  so they suit my needs.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rbrdmkr said:

Thank you eBay for these beauty’s, still recovering from a back surgery but it sure is fun building this stuff and reading everyone’s posts on this thread, I am learning so much more about Maltby. I now have two completed sets of irons, Sti2’s these PTM’s (wish I had the 4&5) and a full set of DBM heads that I pulled for a future project. Wanted to share this build even if the ferrules aren’t turned yet, but  I’m pretty pleased. I should buy Popeye a beer for bring the PTM to my attention what a great looking club!

FB5CCBE2-2EB7-4D62-9DBC-C2D87B5D5DF0.jpeg

A9036F76-E9CD-4859-A2BE-FA9DF0E16B4F.jpeg

836AC2D1-99AB-467F-B402-7FA7644557D7.jpeg

Yuengling please, and thank you. 

Actually these might be my favorite sounding iron as well. Players will often remark just how pure the sound is. 

• Like 1

Put the HyWay in play today. Mixed feelings. Took me a few minutes on the range to dial it in. The all black head is tough to line up in the sun. When struck well, a nice solid tink. Not my favorite sounding club head, but nothing I can't get used to. My biggest complaint is the size. It's basically the same size as my F6 4w. A little weird looking down at something that size from 170-180 out. Same complaint I have with the Super Hybrid. Will take some adjustment.

1 minute ago, Spankapotamus redux said:

Put the HyWay in play today. Mixed feelings. Took me a few minutes on the range to dial it in. The all black head is tough to line up in the sun. When struck well, a nice solid tink. Not my favorite sounding club head, but nothing I can't get used to. My biggest complaint is the size. It's basically the same size as my F6 4w. A little weird looking down at something that size from 170-180 out. Same complaint I have with the Super Hybrid. Will take some adjustment.

It took me quite a few trips to the range before I embraced the HYWAY. Almost gave up on it. But those high flying, soft landing results sold me. 

I think my biggest issue was how to orient the head at setup. I toe mine in a little and just let the club go with an easy swing. I fought with mine swinging it too hard. 

But yah it takes a while to be friends with it. I'm fine with the size though. 

• Like 1

Accustomed to playing fairway woods (18*, 21*, 24*) rather than hybrids.  So I'm use to looking down at a larger head.  Updated the 5 with a KE 4 TC and KK 50g A flex shaft.  Old guy shaft that has worked very well for me.  Has met my expectations.  Giving the HyWay with the same shaft serious consideration for updating the next slot in the bag.  Feeling the heavier shaft (85g) in the 7 by way of comparison.   And if I'm going to replace a shaft, might as well try a new head.  FWIW, the current fairways are all V-Steels.  

Thought the HyWay head size slotted in between a fairway and hybrid (per the GW descriptive).  The comments above has me wondering.  So it's smaller than the TC fairway but larger than a TC hybrid.  Right?  Could someone post a good pic of the "runner" sole?   TIA.  

Also FWIW, my favorite domestic beer is Founder's All Day IPA.  

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

As a big Maltby fan, I can't say I get along with their current wood line up. Hated the KE4 driver (looks and it was a hook machine for me). I really, really wanted to like the KE4 tour TC 3 wood, but just spun the snot out of it, so it was very short. The feel is just incredible. Love, love, love the feel, but it just didn't perform. I think it suits a low spin player, not a high spin player like me.

Tried an Aldila Green NV next gen X flex untipped, then an Xcaliber Avalon 6S TS tipped 1/2" at 44", then per Brian at Xcaliber, took another inch off the tip to play it at 43". Still, spun it close to 5000 rpm. Below is a trackman test during a 3 wood fitting with my pro. I hit the ping g425 lst (pictured below) 1° strong and flat with various shafts, TM SIM2 turned down to lower with a s flex diamana shaft, and a titleist ts2 with various shafts (hated it). My worst with the ping were right with the best of the KE4. The last ball I hit with the KE4 (#1 on the list) was a nice draw off the tee, butted, and went 240. Spun at 4400. Just couldn't deal with it. 

Really wish they would offer a lower spin and/or adjustable 3 wood. 

Below are the trackman numbers. Blue is the Maltby, yellow-orange is the PING. SIM2 in red.

PING is now in the bag with the Avalon.

Screenshot_20210801-090521_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210801-090542_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210801-090556_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210801-092026_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

Wow I’ve read an unhealthy amount of posts here about maltby irons…69 pages in this thread alone. I am in the market for new sticks and not sure what my options are to hit the ts1/2 other than ordering irons (not reasonable as not sure what shaft I need) or driving to Newark to their shop (I live in lansing mi). 

I did a ‘fitting event’ with TM which wasn’t a full on fitting but he recommended me in the MCs with modus 130x as his heaviest/stiffest shaft. I liked the p770 as I want more forgiveness as I don’t play more than half a dozen times per year with 3 little kids now. My new priority is helping my inconsistent ball striking. 

IIRC On grass with crap balls the p770 7i with modus 130x was ~180yds carry with 7k spin. I hit the ball high as it is and the 130x was to try and flight me lower (and he was acting like I had a tour swing). My current 7i was ~175yds carry with px6.0 shafts in TM 2009 tour preferred heads. 
bottom line is the p770s are crazy expensive and I still don’t know what shaft I want. I love the look of the ts1 but wondering if ts2 would be better to help my inconsistencies when I play once a month or less haha. 

6 minutes ago, Bryceslu said:

bottom line is the p770s are crazy expensive and I still don’t know what shaft I want. I love the look of the ts1 but wondering if ts2 would be better to help my inconsistencies when I play once a month or less haha. 

I too did a couple of fitting events, and loved the p770s, but not the price.  Went with the DBMs from Maltby after getting fitted for other irons and figuring out what shaft flex I should probably get.  I have been very pleased and only spent about 350 with the shaft, length, and grips that I wanted and they only took about 4 days to arrive.  I am sure that others could give you a shaft recommendation that Maltby carries or has in stock....good luck

Eric

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha B21

3 wood: Orlimar ATS

5 wood: XPC V9

3 Hybrid: Tour Edge Hot Launch E521

Irons: Maltby DBM 5-PW

Sand Wedge: Maltby M-Series+ 56 degree

Putter: TaylorMade Spider SR

15 minutes ago, Bryceslu said:

Wow I’ve read an unhealthy amount of posts here about maltby irons…69 pages in this thread alone. I am in the market for new sticks and not sure what my options are to hit the ts1/2 other than ordering irons (not reasonable as not sure what shaft I need) or driving to Newark to their shop (I live in lansing mi). 

I did a ‘fitting event’ with TM which wasn’t a full on fitting but he recommended me in the MCs with modus 130x as his heaviest/stiffest shaft. I liked the p770 as I want more forgiveness as I don’t play more than half a dozen times per year with 3 little kids now. My new priority is helping my inconsistent ball striking. 

IIRC On grass with crap balls the p770 7i with modus 130x was ~180yds carry with 7k spin. I hit the ball high as it is and the 130x was to try and flight me lower (and he was acting like I had a tour swing). My current 7i was ~175yds carry with px6.0 shafts in TM 2009 tour preferred heads. 

For whatever this is worth...

The P770 actually have a lower MOI than the MC (albeit only marginally lower).  The main difference is the P770 CG is .018" lower and about a tenth of an inch farther from the hosel.

And the flex face, of course.

The CG of the TS1/TS2 is lower than either TM, and farther from the hosel.  MOI a bit better, also.

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 8/1/2021 at 9:26 AM, Jtgavigan said:

As a big Maltby fan, I can't say I get along with their current wood line up. Hated the KE4 driver (looks and it was a hook machine for me). I really, really wanted to like the KE4 tour TC 3 wood, but just spun the snot out of it, so it was very short. The feel is just incredible. Love, love, love the feel, but it just didn't perform. I think it suits a low spin player, not a high spin player like me.

Tried an Aldila Green NV next gen X flex untipped, then an Xcaliber Avalon 6S TS tipped 1/2" at 44", then per Brian at Xcaliber, took another inch off the tip to play it at 43". Still, spun it close to 5000 rpm. Below is a trackman test during a 3 wood fitting with my pro. I hit the ping g425 lst (pictured below) 1° strong and flat with various shafts, TM SIM2 turned down to lower with a s flex diamana shaft, and a titleist ts2 with various shafts (hated it). My worst with the ping were right with the best of the KE4. The last ball I hit with the KE4 (#1 on the list) was a nice draw off the tee, butted, and went 240. Spun at 4400. Just couldn't deal with it. 

Really wish they would offer a lower spin and/or adjustable 3 wood. 

Below are the trackman numbers. Blue is the Maltby, yellow-orange is the PING. SIM2 in red.

PING is now in the bag with the Avalon.

Screenshot_20210801-090521_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210801-090542_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210801-090556_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210801-092026_Chrome.jpg

Thats impressive numbers on the Ping and good dispersion. It's crazy the spin you are getting from the KE4. 

No one seems to understand me when I say I like the weight distribution/feel of the PX or modus 130 or kbs c taper. I can immediately tell any other shaft feel I am not going to like…they feel light even if the actual gram weight is 120-130.  Kbs and kbs tour feel like crap to me. The TM guy said it’s due to more weight on the grip end. Anyone know the actual reason for this. Or other comparable feeling shafts out there? Supposedly the px6.0 in the 770 was 5k spin which is why he didn’t like them.  I did hit them 185-190 carry. But in callaway heads the px was same spin as modus so no idea what happened in the 770s. 

My non disastrous miss hits with 770 was only a few yards shorter. With the MCs it was quite a bit less yardage. 

1 hour ago, Bryceslu said:

No one seems to understand me when I say I like the weight distribution/feel of the PX or modus 130 or kbs c taper. I can immediately tell any other shaft feel I am not going to like…they feel light even if the actual gram weight is 120-130.  Kbs and kbs tour feel like crap to me. The TM guy said it’s due to more weight on the grip end. Anyone know the actual reason for this. Or other comparable feeling shafts out there? Supposedly the px6.0 in the 770 was 5k spin which is why he didn’t like them.  I did hit them 185-190 carry. But in callaway heads the px was same spin as modus so no idea what happened in the 770s. 

My non disastrous miss hits with 770 was only a few yards shorter. With the MCs it was quite a bit less yardage. 

The p770 is very very very very similar to the TS-1, I think a direct swap would be pretty easy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Therty said:

The p770 is very very very very similar to the TS-1, I think a direct swap would be pretty easy.

Lol that’s what I thought when I started down this maltby rabbit hole…but then most people start talking about how forgiving and great the ts2 are.
I left the green grass golf business just as fittings started getting popular and courses had fitting carts I could monkey around with. 
I honestly have no idea what kind of shaft I’d be best in these days.  Only option within an hour of me is paying for a fitting so even hitting a bunch myself isn’t an option. That part of golf nowadays I must say I don’t like. 

@Bryceslu Some thoughts from the peanut gallery:

Do not like paying for fittings.  Somewhat skeptical of their effectiveness.  The fitters are in the business of selling golf clubs first and foremost.  The one and only experience, the result was not what I was after.  Have a good idea what works and doesn't for my game and preferences.  Regardless of the data.  I don't play golf in a LM.  WTS, there's Leading Edge Golf in Okemos.  The fitting rate is $150 for 45-60 minutes if you want to pay for sorting through shafts.  No testimonial or opinion on their services.  

Since you stated a preference for heavier shafts, that cuts the population of options down considerably.    Somewhat surprised that TT Dynamic Gold was not mentioned, or tested.  Don't know of a shaft heavier, stiff tip to assist with lowering trajectory.  Since you apparently ruled out KBS, leaves Modus 130, TTDG, PX.  (unless I'm missing one).  Keeping in mind, the trend seems to be towards lighter weight steel shafts these days (115g - 120g).  Within that weight category, options increase significantly.  

Are you equipped and/or capable of performing your own club work?  That's one of the benefits of going the component head route.  Acquire an iron head and shaft of choice, assemble, test and evaluate.  How does the club play when taken afield.  I can't determine L/T playability from a one hour session, hitting some demo clubs on a range.  Especially indoors or off mats.  Need to put in the time testing out on a golf course.  Hitting balls.  Through the good swing days, and the not so good.  Building a singular club keeps the investment minimal (relatively speaking) and serves as a platform if "something else" needs to be trialed.  

We make independent choices based on best available information, or from experience.  But there seems to be a certain symmetry when they come together.  A known shaft is a good starting point, and may very well be transferable and appropriate.  However, a shaft utilized in one head, doesn't automatically assure the same performance in another.  Something you noted with the PX 6.0 spin rate differences between the Cally and TM heads.  I'll leave it to others more knowledgeable to supply the explanation.  

No idea on your iron head preferences other than the mention that you liked the P770.  As posted  above, very close to the TS-1's.  They're the irons I play.  There were a couple design attributes of the TS-2's that I was nervous about.  The thickish top line being one.  Although my most accounts, the 2's are an excellent performing iron head.  For a long time thought that if there was an iron design that offered a "blade-like" appearance with SGI playability, I'd be all over them.  That's the TS-1's.  The sole design is great, playable from just about any lie.  Feel is fantastic.  Like the solid body in the wedges.  Find them sufficiently forgiving.  Mishits, for me it's out on the toe, are not penal.  They do flight high, but I'm OK with that.  Seem to perform better with an aggressive swing, which is my tendency.  Maximizing distance with irons is not important to me.  Consistency of distance is.  And the TS-1's supply that.  Took some time to become accustomed to yardages per club, flew a few greens, as I was hitting the ball ~10 yards further per iron than prior.  (There are several factors involved here that I won't dissect.)  

This is bordering on TL;DR.  Perhaps not over think it with the selection process.  Choose a shaft weight that's suitable, select your flex, stick on a club head and go play golf.  See what happens.  Sometimes this stuff requires a certain leap of faith that things will work out as intended.  

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

13 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Thats impressive numbers on the Ping and good dispersion. It's crazy the spin you are getting from the KE4. 

Yeah, I was shocked. I spun the old KE4 a lot also, but not as much. But, after 3 shaft iterations,  it was time for something else. The new KE4 is still the best feeling fw wood I have hit.

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

13 hours ago, Bryceslu said:

I second the dynamic gold opinion. I never liked the feel of project X shafts myself. DG launches slightly lower for most people. Something to try.

Also, the TS1's are PLENTY forgiving. 

Edited by Jtgavigan

@Fellaheen51 Haha ok ok the ts1 is probably what I should play over ts2, and thanks for the reply. Ive been to leading edge to screw around a couple years ago but then the owner got mad the guy didn’t charge me anything. Also hitting off mats indoors isn’t very telling. 
wouldn’t have considered ts2 if it wasn’t for the reviews here. I like the lower launch people have with ts2 tho and I can’t ever say no to more forgiveness now that I don’t play golf lol. I’d really like to hit each head and see for myself. If I could somehow pinpoint a shaft I would have zero problems ordering one of each. 

I used to work in the golf business so yes I have experience with club repair. Just a matter of $ for supplies for my house at this point. 

my issue is I have no idea if I want heavy or lighter shafts. I just like the balance weight or however you describe it of px/modus 130/kbs ctaper. It seems lots of people are going lighter shafts and it seems that is the case because there are a ton of options in lower grams that are just as stiff including things like steelfibers. Back in the day I could pick up anything with a px in it and it felt amazing to swing…performance wise now I’m not so sure they are spinning enough for me or I couldn’t be happier with a similar balance/weighted shaft that is less grams…if that makes any sense lol. 

Dear Abby ohh ahh dear golfers I am  61 plus years old , short story is surgery 2/17 low back fusion second time. I got out for 9 today! Absolutely gorgeous day here in the Midwest! Problem is I am now a club shorter than my 150 yd 7i my current set is comprised of 6i thru G PTM’s making my 6 now my 150, I did add two hybrids but that isn’t help for under tree and errant shots. Ok LSS I’m building a TS2 4i, a ho purchase from eBay but now it almost seems smart to finally build the 4 and go one long iron for rare situations and make up my distance with my loved 5 wood and hated hybrids,  I rather hit irons. Outa breathe cause I could have just asked is it reasonable to build the 4i 1/2 longer to compensate for graphite shaft and another 1/2 to build at 3i length to help make me feel younger, insert viagra jokes here😂 Thanks rbrdmkr aka rodknocker