Maltby TS2

Popeye64

On 8/3/2021 at 2:43 PM, Bryceslu said:

@Fellaheen51 Haha ok ok the ts1 is probably what I should play over ts2, and thanks for the reply. Ive been to leading edge to screw around a couple years ago but then the owner got mad the guy didn’t charge me anything. Also hitting off mats indoors isn’t very telling. 
wouldn’t have considered ts2 if it wasn’t for the reviews here. I like the lower launch people have with ts2 tho and I can’t ever say no to more forgiveness now that I don’t play golf lol. I’d really like to hit each head and see for myself. If I could somehow pinpoint a shaft I would have zero problems ordering one of each. 

I used to work in the golf business so yes I have experience with club repair. Just a matter of $ for supplies for my house at this point. 

my issue is I have no idea if I want heavy or lighter shafts. I just like the balance weight or however you describe it of px/modus 130/kbs ctaper. It seems lots of people are going lighter shafts and it seems that is the case because there are a ton of options in lower grams that are just as stiff including things like steelfibers. Back in the day I could pick up anything with a px in it and it felt amazing to swing…performance wise now I’m not so sure they are spinning enough for me or I couldn’t be happier with a similar balance/weighted shaft that is less grams…if that makes any sense lol. 

I agree if you like the P770 go for the TS1's.  I just built a set of TS1's after building a test club with both TS2 and TS1 heads in a 6i.  For me they were so close on both forgiveness and length it really didn't matter, as long as they were both built to my personal specs. But I liked the look of the TS1 and they feel slightly better to me, but I could have happily played with either.

As far as shafts go, buy a few that seem promising, and swap them out in your test clubs until you are happy.  You will learn a bunch and can sell whats left over on the bay.

I like Steelfiber, but I am playing with Xcalibers in my new TS1's.

Mark

• Like 1

Xcalibers could be an option when new irons are available at Golf Works, still have 4 Fugikura  Pros left not including possible pulls from previous builds. The thing about Xcaliber is price “for me” not willing to spend 400 for 8 shafts even 200 is too much for some elusive “kick”, (where is Jmann or who ever he was touting the bend profile and kick) love the idea and hope enough guys buy into the design, I really want to build a set myself, and see my game benefit , but my price point is lower than what their break even might be, if I can keep my price per club less than 80x8 = 640. “Just thinking out loud” 4-G = 8 clubs X 60( cost RT’s) = 480.00 shaft only . Pick your head 25 or 50 component iron head average is 37.5? Let’s assume that is right, 8 club heads would be 300.00. Heads 300 plus shafts 480 = 780 not a bargain. My price for a club builder is 80 per club to still maintain some value over name brands, not 97.5 or higher. We can debate what is the true value of a hobby we enjoy or the craft that helps us dial in our game, for me it is closer to 80.00 than 100.00 per club,  it comes to a point where economics and club building intersect. Not trying to start an argument, I personally feel I have learned a lot about what head and shaft is best for me but I now have DBM, PTM and Sti2 irons, might I have been better off getting fit for something by someone who has my best interest in mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rx7mark said:

I agree if you like the P770 go for the TS1's.  I just built a set of TS1's after building a test club with both TS2 and TS1 heads in a 6i.  For me they were so close on both forgiveness and length it really didn't matter, as long as they were both built to my personal specs. But I liked the look of the TS1 and they feel slightly better to me, but I could have happily played with either.

As far as shafts go, buy a few that seem promising, and swap them out in your test clubs until you are happy.  You will learn a bunch and can sell whats left over on the bay.

I like Steelfiber, but I am playing with Xcalibers in my new TS1's.

Mark

Thanks for the feedback. Makes me think the ts1 might be the ticket. I certainly like the look of it over ts2 and really dislike a thick top line. 

1 hour ago, rbrdmkr said:

Xcalibers could be an option when new irons are available at Golf Works, still have 4 Fugikura  Pros left not including possible pulls from previous builds. The thing about Xcaliber is price “for me” not willing to spend 400 for 8 shafts even 200 is too much for some elusive “kick”, (where is Jmann or who ever he was touting the bend profile and kick) love the idea and hope enough guys buy into the design, I really want to build a set myself, and see my game benefit , but my price point is lower than what their break even might be, if I can keep my price per club less than 80x8 = 640. “Just thinking out loud” 4-G = 8 clubs X 60( cost RT’s) = 480.00 shaft only . Pick your head 25 or 50 component iron head average is 37.5? Let’s assume that is right, 8 club heads would be 300.00. Heads 300 plus shafts 480 = 780 not a bargain. My price for a club builder is 80 per club to still maintain some value over name brands, not 97.5 or higher. We can debate what is the true value of a hobby we enjoy or the craft that helps us dial in our game, for me it is closer to 80.00 than 100.00 per club,  it comes to a point where economics and club building intersect. Not trying to start an argument, I personally feel I have learned a lot about what head and shaft is best for me but I now have DBM, PTM and Sti2 irons, might I have been better off getting fit for something by someone who has my best interest in mind.

The RTI shafts are certainly not for everyone. But the listed price of 59 is a lot higher than they can be bought for. The price per shaft is lower than almost every premium graphite iron shaft.  But again it's not for everyone, but most people who hit them fall in love with them. The Maltby house brand can certainly build you a nice set of clubs. The Top 50 Callaway fitting centers all now have RTi shafts to evaluate. Orders are actually coming in from some of those shops. When one of the country's top fitters sends an email asking how he can possibly get a full set for himself it makes you take notice. 

1 hour ago, Bryceslu said:

Thanks for the feedback. Makes me think the ts1 might be the ticket. I certainly like the look of it over ts2 and really dislike a thick top line. 

Early on when the TS-2 was first released I put it head to head with the P790. It matched or edged it out in every category. Not to mention how much better it felt. The P770 vs the TS-1 isn't even a contest. But the two match up well. 

The TS-2 top line bothered me for about two swings, then it vanished and all there was, great performance. If the TS-2 were not so strong lofted they would have never left the bag. Might seem like a silly issue but they went too far for me. The over 4° gaps creates distance between club issues. I'm most definitely a 4° gap guy. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rbrdmkr said:

Well how long should I make this 4i considering I hit my long irons reasonably well

image.jpg

The most important thing with all clubs is to build them to fit YOU.. Not build them to go a bit longer. So if the standard graphite length is what dynamically fits you stick with that. The distance you will get with that 4i should be more than enough. Those things are rockets. If you are building longer than standard, lie angle and swing weight must be addressed. In most cases you could be hurting your consistency rather than a distance gain. I will take knowing the club will go 212 every time, any day, over, 220. Then 210 then 205 and back to 220. 

Btw... elephant in the room is that awesome work bench... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

The most important thing with all clubs is to build them to fit YOU.. Not build them to go a bit longer. So if the standard graphite length is what dynamically fits you stick with that. The distance you will get with that 4i should be more than enough. Those things are rockets. If you are building longer than standard, lie angle and swing weight must be addressed. In most cases you could be hurting your consistency rather than a distance gain. I will take knowing the club will go 212 every time, any day, over, 220. Then 210 then 205 and back to 220. 

Btw... elephant in the room is that awesome work bench... 

Thanks built the bench a few years back it will have to go with the house when it is sold, it’s dead flat and weighs a ton, serves me well building quarter sawn  oak projects, but another subject for another board, thanks for your kind words I should message you about your recommendations for RT’s that would suit my limited rotation I really like the Fujikurs but being the ho I am some black RT shafts would be sick.

• Like 1

Loving my 54 TSW wedge. Paired with a True Temper X100 Shaft. 

The 3W is out of the bag for the most part. It goes on when I don’t want to use my driver. 

i am keeping my eye out for a good set of shafts to pair with a Ts1:TS2 combo set. I need to keep it cheap.

Edited by TallGuy90

11 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Early on when the TS-2 was first released I put it head to head with the P790. It matched or edged it out in every category. Not to mention how much better it felt. The P770 vs the TS-1 isn't even a contest. But the two match up well. 

The TS-2 top line bothered me for about two swings, then it vanished and all there was, great performance. If the TS-2 were not so strong lofted they would have never left the bag. Might seem like a silly issue but they went too far for me. The over 4° gaps creates distance between club issues. I'm most definitely a 4° gap guy. 

Is there anyone that sells these retail other than Xcaliber? I would love to get these in a set of wedges/irons, but wouldn't need more than 4-5 shafts. Maybe even someone with an account to order them through or a group buy? Living in a golf wasteland as far as equipment/fitting limits options for testing.

5 minutes ago, Spankapotamus redux said:

Is there anyone that sells these retail other than Xcaliber? I would love to get these in a set of wedges/irons, but wouldn't need more than 4-5 shafts. Maybe even someone with an account to order them through or a group buy? Living in a golf wasteland as far as equipment/fitting limits options for testing.

Just let me know what you need. I can get it shipped out in a day to you. 1 or 10 I'll give you a good price. 

As for locations. Hopefully over the next year that grows. Hopefully Callaway is the first OEM to offer them. Right now they are testing them at the fitting centers.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

I'm starting to think the same thing about the TS-2 going too far. I was really liking them but I feel like I really have to think about what club I'm pulling. I've been in Florida for the last month, playing my old DBM irons. I get my yardage and know what club to pull instinctively. I'm trying not to overthink this but overthinking our clubs is what this forum is all about.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RR58 said:

I'm starting to think the same thing about the TS-2 going too far. I was really liking them but I feel like I really have to think about what club I'm pulling. I've been in Florida for the last month, playing my old DBM irons. I get my yardage and know what club to pull instinctively. I'm trying not to overthink this but overthinking our clubs is what this forum is all about.

I hear yah... I have my PTMs that have 4° and my Guilty Pleasure,,, Hogan PTx Pros at 4° gaps as well. They just suit my game better with those gaps. I've never had distance issues meaning I wish my ball went further. 

The TS-2s at the top of the bag did amazing for me when I had them in rotation. So easy to hit and they covered some obseen distances. 

With 4° gaps I feel confident that two irons can make a green easily for me. Front of the green or back of the green. A 5° club seemed to be short or over on full swings unless it was on the number. I obviously could feather a swing or step on it to change distances... but that causes me issues with funky tempo. I play best at a stock full swing.. insert club to fit. 

Edited by Popeye64

Just now, rbrdmkr said:

Are you going to make a pre paint purchase of all black shafts? if so what would your price per shaft be, and are demos available I did email someone at Xcal last November about a demo forgot who but it was a moot point after my back injury Thanks

You can get a Rapid Taper demo from me with almost any Maltby head on it. 

Since the flat black paint is way cheaper I think that will be 30 a shaft. Not sure yet. Have to see what shipping cost would be and how many. That would be the lowest cost. Might creep up a bit.

• Like 2

Great I was just looking back at my correspondence with Brian and he had suggested the 75gr soft stepped in a Ts2 now that I play PTMs I would definitely be interested in a demo probably not soft stepped, the Fujikuras could be pulled and put in my DBM or whatever the price seems right so let me know what you need on your end thanks

On 8/6/2021 at 6:26 AM, Popeye64 said:

. A 5° club seemed to be short or over on full swings unless it was on the number. I obviously could feather a swing or step on it to change distances... but that causes me issues with funky tempo. 

Understand how that can do ones head in,  but it’s still only about 2 yards difference 😁. Which for us mere mortals should be nothing. Ha.  

I use DBM and Mseries,  and made 5 degree gaps from 8 iron (38) and up to 58.  This was easily done by chucking out PW,   given GW is exact same headweight this has no detrimental effect on gapping.    I do admit I feel there is a wider gap between  GW and 53W and that’s somethings I need to work out.  I may weaken the GW to 49.

So I now have room to put 1 extra club at either end of the bag to suit the course I am playing. 

I would like to go 5d gaps with the rest of the irons but I don’t know how to make that work for me.   If I drop 5 or 6 that would do my head in 🤣

i remain a bit sceptical of the modern trend of progressive loft gaps.  In theory it might work, but for the individual that’s going to take a lot of sessions on a LM to be sure what gaps really work.    On the other hand computer modelling should be able to predict recommended loft/length gaps based on a golfers metrics ,  I don’t know if anyone is doing that already.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 3:48 PM, TallGuy90 said:

@BigTerp1524how is your PTM holding up? 

Sorry, I missed this last week.

I've only had one other round with it since I last posted, but I have no complaints. Had my speed dialed in much better than my first round with the PTM-5 and had several putts just lip out, so the touch is coming. Being a 37.5" putter the head feels on the heavier side and combined with the hot face I feel it effects my speed control and touch/feel, as I mentioned before. Got a 75g counter weight for my SS grip and it feels much better. 

The above might sound like complaints, but I honestly couldn't be happier with the putter. The crappy putting is all me getting used to a much longer putter, completely different setup, etc. It looks great at address, easy to line up and just feels great in my hands. The feel off the face, while hotter than what I'm used to, is just begging for me to let it work instead of smashing it like my old and dead feeling putter and start getting some really good feel with my putts. Putts just feel superb coming off the face, I don't know how else to explain it. It's not something I've ever experienced and it's taking some time to get comfortable with it.

15 hours ago, TallGuy90 said:

@BigTerp1524

haha I hear ya. One of many reason I haven’t upgraded my putter is I often feel like it’s minimal improvements. They look beautiful though but I think I will wait until winter before I commit to any bag changes 

I would think a putter is definitely one of those things that a small change can make a big difference in feel, which is a big part of putting obviously. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm 6'8" and was using a putter more appropriate for someone 5'8" with what felt like a sponge for a head I would've waited myself to upgrade. My first time out with it was almost comical. I was firing putts at the hole like I was trying to break the flagstick in half. It's settled in nicely however and I have no regrets. 

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing.  Interesting shaft,  seems that it might be similar to Nunchuk.  flexes in mid section,   stiff tip section.

he should have tried a different shaft in the same head,  this review doesnt tell us anything why the shaft is better.

Edited by marktheblake

22 hours ago, marktheblake said:

Thanks for sharing.  Interesting shaft,  seems that it might be similar to Nunchuk.  flexes in mid section,   stiff tip section.

he should have tried a different shaft in the same head,  this review doesnt tell us anything why the shaft is better.

Completely agree. Back to back with other ‘similar’ shaft options in the same head would have been more useful.