Maltby TS2

Popeye64

@Popeye64 question for you. I have a full set of TS-2, and the KE4 TC 3 and 5 woods. Great performers. My regular driver gamer is a Taylor R510. 
I have the KE4 TC driver, but something is just off with it. Settings are neutral. Shaft is a Maltby regular. I just can’t get a solid feel with it, even though I am hitting it in the face. Not sure if it’s the shaft, or settings. 
Ideas welcome. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TallGuy90 said:

Thanks . How do these compare to the NIPPON GS NEO Stiff? The online material says for quicker tempo , I am more of a slow to moderate. Hit my 7 ago hit 155-160 with a 919HM

They should play fairly similar. They have worked very well for a big cross section of golfer. 

On 8/22/2021 at 9:07 AM, Popeye64 said:

A true forged, progressive cavity back. It's been worked on for quite a long time now and has some big shoes to fill. The TS series has done so well and has FAR exceeded expectations. With the legacy irons fading away this is a big launch for them. The TS series being hollow it's not for everyone so the TS-3 is the more traditional forging. With the 4 way sole grind they have been doing I look for this to be an epic launch that will suit a better to mid hcp player. 

Very interested in these.   It is going to be hard to match the feel and performance I am getting from the TS-2/1 combo..    True forged with the RT is my gift to myself as soon as the TS-3 come along..     It is an understatement to say I am having a hard time waiting.   I really do enjoy the next great thing.

On another note-- have you ever putted with the Odyssey # 7 series as a comparison in forgiveness/feel with the PTM-5.     Thank you

• Like 2

7 hours ago, woodriff said:

@Popeye64 question for you. I have a full set of TS-2, and the KE4 TC 3 and 5 woods. Great performers. My regular driver gamer is a Taylor R510. 
I have the KE4 TC driver, but something is just off with it. Settings are neutral. Shaft is a Maltby regular. I just can’t get a solid feel with it, even though I am hitting it in the face. Not sure if it’s the shaft, or settings. 
Ideas welcome. 

What’s the length of the club? Swingweight? 

37 minutes ago, Colej said:

I second what Colej said. Getting the swing weight right with the KE4 TC Driver head makes a huge difference. I am very happy with how mine feels, very happy. I'm at D2.5 and loving it. 45" playing length. I forget what sole weight it is but I dialed it in on my scale. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 5:09 PM, Colej said:

@Colejand @Popeye64  appreciate the help guys.  Playing length is 45 inches. Swingweight is C8. I found the 8 gram a little heavy and replaced with a 2. I realize that C8 is light, but it does feel comfortable. Would you both recommend going up in SW points ? 

2 hours ago, woodriff said:

@Colejand @Popeye64  appreciate the help guys.  Playing length is 45 inches. Swingweight is C8. I found the 8 gram a little heavy and replaced with a 2. I realize that C8 is light, but it does feel comfortable. Would you both recommend going up in SW points ? 

I've tried a KE4 that lite and hated it. I would certainly see how it feels at DO- D1. Also check face contact. Go from there. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, woodriff said:

I would try it at D1 at least. 

Edited by Colej

RE: PTM5 putter -  I’ve always been a “budget” golfer, who never spent more than $100 on a putter, so it’s tough to compare it to some of the higher end ($$$) putters, but this thing is SOLID.  It’s stupid easy to align, and the feel is incredible.  Reading Popeye’s posts, it looks like our games are very similar - if I could putt, I could probably be scratch or better.  

• Like 2

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

On 8/14/2021 at 7:42 PM, marktheblake said:

Thanks for sharing.  Interesting shaft,  seems that it might be similar to Nunchuk.  flexes in mid section,   stiff tip section.

he should have tried a different shaft in the same head,  this review doesnt tell us anything why the shaft is better.

The similarity to the Nunchuk is actually a plus for me and why I tried a set in my TS1's and FDI's I just finished.  I used the stiff RT95's in the GW, PW, and 9i and the stiff RT85's in the 8i, 7i, and 6i.  I used the stiff RT75's in the 24, 21, and 18 degree FDI's.  And I really like the RT's in the TS1's, but not so much in the FDI's. To be fair I play the FDI's at my iron lengths (39 inch for the 18 degree), and to do that I had to add a lot of weight to the head.  Probably needed a stiffer shaft, I could have tried hard stepping the RT75's x2, but in the end I reverted back to Nuchuck's in the FDI's that I have used in the past, and they integrate well in the set.  I am very happy overall and used the 100g spin shafts in my wedges.  Hardest thing for me is they go about 10 yards longer so I have to readjust distances and the TS1's dig just a little more than my last irons.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 3:11 PM, BigTerp1524 said:

Sorry, I missed this last week.

I've only had one other round with it since I last posted, but I have no complaints. Had my speed dialed in much better than my first round with the PTM-5 and had several putts just lip out, so the touch is coming. Being a 37.5" putter the head feels on the heavier side and combined with the hot face I feel it effects my speed control and touch/feel, as I mentioned before. Got a 75g counter weight for my SS grip and it feels much better. 

The above might sound like complaints, but I honestly couldn't be happier with the putter. The crappy putting is all me getting used to a much longer putter, completely different setup, etc. It looks great at address, easy to line up and just feels great in my hands. The feel off the face, while hotter than what I'm used to, is just begging for me to let it work instead of smashing it like my old and dead feeling putter and start getting some really good feel with my putts. Putts just feel superb coming off the face, I don't know how else to explain it. It's not something I've ever experienced and it's taking some time to get comfortable with it.

I've had 4 more rounds with the PTM-5 since I last posted. My last 3 rounds were the best putting rounds I've ever had. In terms of overall putts, number of 3 putts and number of 1 putts. The 75g counterweight I installed in the handle helped tame the overly heavy feeling of the head and gave me a lot more feel and touch. Part of my struggle with the PTM-5 was just growing pains, but now that I've got it dialed in the results don't lie. The biggest improvement has been my lag putting, and the putter has a lot to do with that. Couldn't be happier with my decision on the PTM-5. Going to be with me for a LONG time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2021 at 11:34 AM, BigTerp1524 said:

I've had 4 more rounds with the PTM-5 since I last posted. My last 3 rounds were the best putting rounds I've ever had. In terms of overall putts, number of 3 putts and number of 1 putts. The 75g counterweight I installed in the handle helped tame the overly heavy feeling of the head and gave me a lot more feel and touch. Part of my struggle with the PTM-5 was just growing pains, but now that I've got it dialed in the results don't lie. The biggest improvement has been my lag putting, and the putter has a lot to do with that. Couldn't be happier with my decision on the PTM-5. Going to be with me for a LONG time. 

I love the feel of mine. I’ve got the 50 gram weight installed in mine. The ball rolls so true coming off the face. 

• Like 1

Can anyone comment on the playability and performance of the MMB-17 versus the TS-1?

I know that the TS-1 are 3* stronger loft in 7-iron, almost a full club different.  I'm currently hitting my old MMB-17 black in AMT White S400 and really liking them.  But, I'd like to move to the TS1 in a higher swingweight (D5) with ability to adjust the lies.

• Like 1