2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Joel Dahmen accuses Kang of cheating

schuyler

There’s a guy on FB who says he was running the Shotlink on the hole and that he, three marshals and JD all saw it the same way, but the official took Kang’s word.

Apparently Kang said that he was 95% sure of where it crossed until the official told him he needed to be 100% sure or drop farther back, and miraculously, he was then 100% sure.

I have no issue with him being called out on this. These drops where the player takes an extra 100+ yards happen all the time and they’re bs. I’d love for guys to be a little less sure they can do it without consequences.

Theres a guy on facebook. The definitive answer lol.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying I am SO SURE he cheated but when someone steps up to call it out and the details are sketchy at best, it leaves doubt. Early reports said the "95%" comment was spoken from Kang to the RO.... That's what I read. Whether its the rule or not, it shows that even Kang is not sure.... when he says that, are we to assume he's only 50% sure but trying to strengthen his case?? Who knows but there is obviously some level of doubt here. I still do not see what Dahmen had to gain by calling this out other than to protect the rest of the field... The GC article says that with Kangs finish, he earned a spot into the Open, not to mention the mountain of money he made in that tournament. So yes, Kang knew there was more on the line. Unfortunately it kind of is black and white.... he either took and incorrect drop or he didn't. It really doesn't matter now, but like stated earlier this will be a blemish on Kang going forward, as well as Dahmen for vomiting on Twitter, if you so choose to feel.

So he knew at the 9th hole on sunday that if he made a bogey hed be out of the open??? with 9 holes to play?? seriously???. the guy shot 64 and dahmen shot 71. its a ridiculous suggestion.

He knows that a lower score has a better shot than a higher score.... it's not that complicated.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Because they did. The rules offical spoke with the committee and they said everything was done above board. Thats a fact wether you accept it or not.

As for your mountain of witnesses its 2 people really and both are dahmens friends.The shotlink guy was nowhere near the line or shot either. Im enjoying watching you hyperventilate and now your desperation is obvious.Bringing OJ into the conversation doesnt make the point you think it does. Quite the opposite actually

According to reports there were more than those 2.... and even still that's 2 more people than rules officials that had actual eyes on it. So you can choose to side with those who actually saw it, or those who didn't see any of it and left it up to the guy that hit the shot that had more riding on it than anyone else involved..... If the RO don't see it, theres no way they can rule against him. They know the integrity of the game is only as good as those who believe in it so their only option is to leave it up to Kang to make the final call. The fact that they did that in NO WAY means Kang did not cheat, nor does it mean he did... all it means is that there will ALWAYS be doubt as to what actually happened.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Hey I'm fine with doubt. Can we wrap this up now?

If Dahmen, his childhood best friend, and his adult son who volunteers for shotlink had just written "I strongly disagreed with the drop have doubt it was ruled correct" than this whole thing would be cool and the gang

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Because they did. The rules offical spoke with the committee and they said everything was done above board. Thats a fact wether you accept it or not.

As for your mountain of witnesses its 2 people really and both are dahmens friends.The shotlink guy was nowhere near the line or shot either. Im enjoying watching you hyperventilate and now your desperation is obvious.Bringing OJ into the conversation doesnt make the point you think it does. Quite the opposite actually

According to reports there were more than those 2.... and even still that's 2 more people than rules officials that had actual eyes on it. So you can choose to side with those who actually saw it, or those who didn't see any of it and left it up to the guy that hit the shot that had more riding on it than anyone else involved..... If the RO don't see it, theres no way they can rule against him. They know the integrity of the game is only as good as those who believe in it so their only option is to leave it up to Kang to make the final call. The fact that they did that in NO WAY means Kang did not cheat, nor does it mean he did... all it means is that there will ALWAYS be doubt as to what actually happened.

IF all these official people saw this , why was it rules the way it was ?

Answer is nobody with a good angle saw anything.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My understanding is no legitimate rules official saw it. So how does a RO rule against a player without actually seeing it? At the end of the day these things come down to honor and integrity. Say what you want about Dahmen ranting on Twitter but the fact is, no matter how many times lowheel wants to pretend it didn't happen, Dahmen DID confront Kang on course about this. So it's one guys word against another and it's up to the player to make the right call. How do you go from 95% sure to 100% so quickly? C'mon... If you're so sure about your shot, why not believe in yourself enough to say right from the start, you know 100% where it crossed? Answer: he wasn't so sure.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

My understanding is no legitimate rules official saw it. So how does a RO rule against a player without actually seeing it? At the end of the day these things come down to honor and integrity. Say what you want about Dahmen ranting on Twitter but the fact is, no matter how many times lowheel wants to pretend it didn't happen, Dahmen DID confront Kang on course about this. So it's one guys word against another and it's up to the player to make the right call. How do you go from 95% sure to 100% so quickly? C'mon... If you're so sure about your shot, why not believe in yourself enough to say right from the start, you know 100% where it crossed? Answer: he wasn't so sure.

Short answer is he/she can’t. Or shouldn’t.

95 is as close as any player can be from that distance. He only said 100 because the official said he had to. Anyone who says 100 % anything anytime without video is lying or forced to say so due to an archaic rule. 95 was truth. 100 was forced. 95 is so far from 50/50 it isn’t funny. YOure jut arguing semantics. Which in a game like this is fruitless.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Joel Dahmen comes off to me as a drama queen. And even if he was sure and right , he handled this in the most assholish manner possible. He took a nonnative English speaker and called him out on Twitter. Then refused to discuss with the guy afterwards. There are far worse cultural implications than his pea brain likely knows working here. He’s essentially accused a guy of a career ending thing ,- thing that might have led to actual criminal punishment in his home country in days gone by , without one shred of proof . Pretty huge dick move.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Joel Dahmen comes off to me as a drama queen. And even if he was sure and right , he handled this in the most assholish manner possible. He took a nonnative English speaker and called him out on Twitter. Then refused to discuss with the guy afterwards. There are far worse cultural implications than his pea brain likely knows working here. He's essentially accused a guy of a career ending thing ,- thing that might have led to actual criminal punishment in his home country in days gone by , without one shred of proof . Pretty huge dick move.

What do you mean by cultural implications?

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Joel Dahmen comes off to me as a drama queen. And even if he was sure and right , he handled this in the most assholish manner possible. He took a nonnative English speaker and called him out on Twitter. Then refused to discuss with the guy afterwards. There are far worse cultural implications than his pea brain likely knows working here. He's essentially accused a guy of a career ending thing ,- thing that might have led to actual criminal punishment in his home country in days gone by , without one shred of proof . Pretty huge dick move.

To accuse someone of cheating in other countries can be as serious as murder here. Joel should think about what he’s doing before he has a hissy fit. The consequences could be more for this player ( I’m not sure where he’s from without looking it up ) than a normal american who just had to deal with twitter trolls.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

This just isn't true. Theres a lot being said here that contradicts reports of the actual happenings so saying something does not make it true. You can have issue with the way Dahmen handled it all day long as far as Twitter goes, just stop acting like this confrontation ONLY took place on Twitter. He called him out on the course, I am not sure why people keep overlooking this.

I am sorry you think that culture somehow plays a role here... Are you saying you believe Dahmen is somehow looking to have Kang punished for cheating in his home country? There's an LA times article from 2015 about how South Korea has legalized cheating, like, on your spouse. I'm not sure of all South Korean law but if they take golf cheating more seriously than marital cheating then yes, Kang may have a problem. I'm not sure what punishment you speak of.

At the end of the day if a tour player sees something, they should say something.... in this case, cause Dahmen went to twitter with it seems to be a bigger issues than the act. That's fine, just let it be two separate issues then.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

To accuse someone of cheating in other countries can be as serious as murder here. Joel should think about what he's doing before he has a hissy fit. The consequences could be more for this player ( I'm not sure where he's from without looking it up ) than a normal american who just had to deal with twitter trolls.

If Kang has the death penalty to worry about for the dishonest drop, you're right i'm sure he's one person that could never cheat.

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

To accuse someone of cheating in other countries can be as serious as murder here. Joel should think about what he's doing before he has a hissy fit. The consequences could be more for this player ( I'm not sure where he's from without looking it up ) than a normal american who just had to deal with twitter trolls.

If Kang has the death penalty to worry about for the dishonest drop, you're right i'm sure he's one person that could never cheat.

I'm 95% sure Korea doesn't execute people for incorrect drops

Scratch that, 100% sure

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'm 95% sure Korea doesn't execute people for incorrect drops

Scratch that, 100% sure

How do they discourage people from murdering and taking 200 yard advantages on drops?

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

If Dahmen, his childhood best friend, and his adult son who volunteers for shotlink had just written "I strongly disagreed with the drop have doubt it was ruled correct" than this whole thing would be cool and the gang

It took until now for this^^ to get funny for me.

And now, it’s hilarious!

:D

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

It took until now for this^^ to get funny for me.

And now, it's hilarious!

:D

It's not funny anymore, there are serious cultural implications that can get Kang in serious trouble for calling him a cheater

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

This just isn't true. Theres a lot being said here that contradicts reports of the actual happenings so saying something does not make it true. You can have issue with the way Dahmen handled it all day long as far as Twitter goes, just stop acting like this confrontation ONLY took place on Twitter. He called him out on the course, I am not sure why people keep overlooking this.

I am sorry you think that culture somehow plays a role here... Are you saying you believe Dahmen is somehow looking to have Kang punished for cheating in his home country? There's an LA times article from 2015 about how South Korea has legalized cheating, like, on your spouse. I'm not sure of all South Korean law but if they take golf cheating more seriously than marital cheating then yes, Kang may have a problem. I'm not sure what punishment you speak of.

At the end of the day if a tour player sees something, they should say something.... in this case, cause Dahmen went to twitter with it seems to be a bigger issues than the act. That's fine, just let it be two separate issues then.

A dismissal or refusal to hear the guy out completely when he comes to you isn’t a discussion. It’s a cowards way.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Perception is reality, and you don't come back from being labeled a cheat. You can avoid being labeled a cheat by not taking questionable drops when your playing partner and eyewitnesses completely disagree with you on where a ball crossed. Kang chose 200 yards over his reputation. He made the decision, and will have to live with the fallout. Best of luck, kid, best of luck.

So you're saying he should have lied to save his reputation?

Nope. I believe he lied and ruined it.

I'll never think of him without also thinking he's a cheat. I would bet the house I'm not alone.

Just curious, did you see the drop? For the record I did not. The only player that I thought cheated was Lexi.....And I saw that one.

Things like this have a way of coming back around. I’ll be first in-line to say I told you so when it hits Joel.

I despise a bully , and/or a passive aggressive jerk. I can’t see this any other way. Joel literally had no view of this. He should have no opinion at all .

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

A dismissal or refusal to hear the guy out completely when he comes to you isn’t a discussion. It’s a cowards way.

What's the point of discussing it weeks later? At the moment it mattered Kang chose to cheat, something that his culturally important death penalty didn't deter him from.

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

Im referring to them “adult son” comment. MtlJeff’s been crafting that narrative since page 2.

Long con baby

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

http://www.golf.com/...ing-allegations

Kang is trying to hide behind the "ruling", which was that the offical didn't see anything so Kang can drop wherever he wants.

Kang never approached Dahmen at John Deere because he was busy, which doesn't matter.

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

Things like this have a way of coming back around. I'll be first in-line to say I told you so when it hits Joel.

I despise a bully , and/or a passive aggressive jerk. I can't see this any other way. Joel literally had no view of this. He should have no opinion at all .

Bully? LOL Good God. Between this and the public stoning this guy is going to receive in South Korea., I can't even take you guys arguing on Kang's behalf seriously anymore.....

I didn't realize calling a guy out on the course, to his face, constitutes a "passive aggressive jerk". We must have very different definitions.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Things like this have a way of coming back around. I'll be first in-line to say I told you so when it hits Joel.

I despise a bully , and/or a passive aggressive jerk. I can't see this any other way. Joel literally had no view of this. He should have no opinion at all .

Bully? LOL Good God. Between this and the public stoning this guy is going to receive in South Korea., I can't even take you guys arguing on Kang's behalf seriously anymore.....

I didn't realize calling a guy out on the course, to his face, constitutes a "passive aggressive jerk". We must have very different definitions.

I don’t believe nor have I seen any evidence of him calling him out anywhere except twit-er

Then when the guy tries to discuss it he uses the “ talk to the hand “ approach and tells him he has. Nothing more to say ? Yep. Passive aggressive behavior. Official present to complain to ... yes he's all over it. Twitter , yep. But man To man In private ? “ ain’t nobody got time for that “. Says a lot to me.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

What's the point of discussing it weeks later? At the moment it mattered Kang chose to cheat, something that his culturally important death penalty didn't deter him from.

I can ask you the same. Why come here weeks later to discuss it ?

Sarcasm is cute. The 1st Time.

My point with all that was that Joel has no chance of regaining credibility with this story because of how he presented it. Low class is being nice. He could have not signed the card. Took it and lodged a formal protest with the commitee . Instead he took the easy , punk road by acting as if it was all ok by signing the card , which by the way makes him a co conspirator if a conspiracy exists. Then after all that he takes to twitter with his rant. Very much a low class move.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm not saying I am SO SURE he cheated but when someone steps up to call it out and the details are sketchy at best, it leaves doubt. Early reports said the "95%" comment was spoken from Kang to the RO.... That's what I read. Whether its the rule or not, it shows that even Kang is not sure.... when he says that, are we to assume he's only 50% sure but trying to strengthen his case?? Who knows but there is obviously some level of doubt here. I still do not see what Dahmen had to gain by calling this out other than to protect the rest of the field... The GC article says that with Kangs finish, he earned a spot into the Open, not to mention the mountain of money he made in that tournament. So yes, Kang knew there was more on the line. Unfortunately it kind of is black and white.... he either took and incorrect drop or he didn't. It really doesn't matter now, but like stated earlier this will be a blemish on Kang going forward, as well as Dahmen for vomiting on Twitter, if you so choose to feel.

So he knew at the 9th hole on sunday that if he made a bogey hed be out of the open??? with 9 holes to play?? seriously???. the guy shot 64 and dahmen shot 71. its a ridiculous suggestion.

He knows that a lower score has a better shot than a higher score.... it's not that complicated.

Yet still had to make a 20 footer for par and then shoot 3 under on the back to post a 64.What a devious genius... He plotted it it all out and waited for his chance to "squints" potentially make bogey at the par 5??? listen to yourself man. Good grief

I don't believe nor have I seen any evidence of him calling him out anywhere except twit-er

Then when the guy tries to discuss it he uses the " talk to the hand " approach and tells him he has. Nothing more to say ? Yep. Passive aggressive behavior. Official present to complain to ... yes he's all over it. Twitter , yep. But man To man In private ? " ain't nobody got time for that ". Says a lot to me.

So the whole part about questioning the drop on the course and telling him if he can sleep at night, to take the drop, doesn't count for anything? I'm not going to argue that Twitter isn't the lamest thing going, I avoid social media all together, but Twitter wasn't the only place this came up. If that's what a few of you are holding onto and want to believe, then hey, there is no changing your mind. But damn, if this is what a bully is, I am happy for you that you got to grow up the way you did.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I don't believe nor have I seen any evidence of him calling him out anywhere except twit-er

Then when the guy tries to discuss it he uses the " talk to the hand " approach and tells him he has. Nothing more to say ? Yep. Passive aggressive behavior. Official present to complain to ... yes he's all over it. Twitter , yep. But man To man In private ? " ain't nobody got time for that ". Says a lot to me.

Pretty much. Well said.