2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Joel Dahmen accuses Kang of cheating

schuyler

I just find it interesting that after all this has gone down and being called a cheater IN WRITING, which is much harder to backtrack from than just saying it nowadays, Kang is choosing to say nothing. Yeah you can say this is the "high road" but in this case, it just isn't. In this game your integrity is everything. Choosing to say nothing to back up his defense in this accusation does make it seem like he'd rather this just go away. If I felt so strongly about my position after someone called me a cheater you bet your a** I would be fighting back.... It's interesting nothing is really being said. He doesn't have to drag out an argument for months on end but asking the PGA or TV for footage of the shot would at least be a start. If he's so sure, lets hunt down some actual evidence. If there is none readily available, then yes, maybe this should just go away. It won't matter anyway.... he's right, people will have their minds made up based one what they know right now. In most cases, that's unfortunate for him.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just find it interesting that after all this has gone down and being called a cheater IN WRITING, which is much harder to backtrack from than just saying it nowadays, Kang is choosing to say nothing. Yeah you can say this is the "high road" but in this case, it just isn't. In this game your integrity is everything. Choosing to say nothing to back up his defense in this accusation does make it seem like he'd rather this just go away. If I felt so strongly about my position after someone called me a cheater you bet your a** I would be fighting back.... It's interesting nothing is really being said. He doesn't have to drag out an argument for months on end but asking the PGA or TV for footage of the shot would at least be a start. If he's so sure, lets hunt down some actual evidence. If there is none readily available, then yes, maybe this should just go away. It won't matter anyway.... he's right, people will have their minds made up based one what they know right now. In most cases, that's unfortunate for him.

This isn't nearly as big a deal in the real world. The only people who will even remember in 3 months are a handful of pros who he can just talk to. And maybe a few people on this site and others like it.

Nothing actually happened. He wasn't penalized for cheating, just accused by a player who isn't a household name and his frat buddies. It will disapear like the hundreds of other internet stories do

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

This isn't nearly as big a deal in the real world. The only people who will even remember in 3 months are a handful of pros who he can just talk to. And maybe a few people on this site and others like it.

Nothing actually happened. He wasn't penalized for cheating, just accused by a player who isn't a household name and his frat buddies. It will disapear like the hundreds of other internet stories do

Being accused of cheating by a fellow PGA Tour pro in these terms,

"Kang cheated"

Is a very big deal. Especially when its corroborated.

I think I have only heard of a one PGA Tour pro calling another a cheater point blank once.

And that was 35 years ago and it wasnt a tour event.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1983/11/29/watson-says-player-cheated-in-tv-match/4de93259-7e81-44db-9b36-865c19879ea5/?utm_term=.65a2b55f5f11

"What I saw was a violation," said Watson firmly in a telephone interview, adding that Player had bent over and, with his hand, flattened out a rooted leaf directly behind his ball before attempting a delicate chip shot on the 16th hole--a hole where $120,000 was at stake.

"Kang cheated"

I think I have only heard of a one PGA Tour pro calling another a cheater point blank once.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1983/11/29/watson-says-player-cheated-in-tv-match/4de93259-7e81-44db-9b36-865c19879ea5/?utm_term=.65a2b55f5f11

"What I saw was a violation," said Watson firmly in a telephone interview, adding that Player had bent over and, with his hand, flattened out a rooted leaf directly behind his ball before attempting a delicate chip shot on the 16th hole--a hole where $120,000 was at stake.

You can't control what other people do, this is the Twitter "burn" generation....it's different.

He'll play a hundred rounds with different guys. Many of whom have probably taken favorable drops of their own. If they don't see any "cheating" then no one will remember this or if they do, care about it.

Again corroborated by a volunteer and Joel Dahmen's soulmate.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

"Kang cheated"

You can't control what other people do, this is the Twitter "burn" generation....it's different.

He'll play a hundred rounds with different guys. Many of whom have probably taken favorable drops of their own. If they don't see any "cheating" then no one will remember this or if they do, care about it.

Again corroborated by a volunteer and Joel Dahmen's soulmate.

Uncle Rico was there?

; )

If I was labeled a cheater and KNEW it was in error or in some attempt by a playing competitor to grind an ax I would tackle it head on and not hide behind rules officials. Does that automatically mean Kang is a cheater? Of course not. People are wired differently. Looking at all the info that is out there my best guess is that Kang took a drop that he probably at least suspects was inappropriate. I think he probably gave himself the benefit of the doubt and rationalized the drop that he wound up with. In my mind that’s playing pretty fast & loose with the rules if that’s what happened.

Some people condemn Dahmen for what he did on social media. I’m hard pressed to do that because I’ve been in competition where a playing competitor tried to get away with something, got caught, then feigned ignorance. I couldn’t read their mind, but witnessing it up close I knew without a shadow of a doubt that they were a cheater. In my mind sometimes you just know and that’s likely where Dahmen was. Does that mean Dahmen is 100% without a doubt right? No. So I understand why this is a spirited debate.

He may not want to get in a spat on social media - it's only going to perpetuate the issue and blow it up more. He probably knows that there is no evidence either way, so it's always going to be his word against others.

Culturally, Korean's don't tend to go in for confrontation the way that Americans do, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

He may not want to get in a spat on social media - it's only going to perpetuate the issue and blow it up more. He probably knows that there is no evidence either way, so it's always going to be his word against others.

Culturally, Korean's don't tend to go in for confrontation the way that Americans do, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

I wont get into it. But living in NYC, I have had a great deal of exposure and feedback on the subject over my 40+ years from generations of people from around the world.

And, as you know, many would disagree wholeheartedly with your assessment.

Hes south korean, they have a different culture and mindset. they dont run to social media, the bare down and practice and let their play do the talking... as of now looks like Kang is focused on competing at the British open currently T-8. I respect what he said. if you would have reacted differently thats fine too. He chose this way yet still has to get criticized... he cant win and your comment proves it. If he came out spitting blood you wouldnt have changed your mind, just admit that at least

"Kang cheated"

https://www.washingt...m=.65a2b55f5f11

By dahmens friend? come on Bsc you know better than this.Nothing has been proven either way. its a simple disagreement. His word against Kangs and rules official and PGA tour gave their blessing. Case closed. Dahmen went full SJW online and thats the embarrassing part.

Hes south korean, they have a different culture and mindset. they dont run to social media, the bare down and practice and let their play do the talking... as of now looks like Kang is focused on competing at the British open currently T-8. I respect what he said. if you would have reacted differently thats fine too. He chose this way yet still has to get criticized... he cant win and your comment proves it. If he came out spitting blood you wouldnt have changed your mind, just admit that at least

You're right. Based on everything I know at this point, I consider him to have taken an incorrect drop, knowingly. Do I think that because Dahmen ran to social media to tell it?? No, not in any way whatsoever do I have an issue with that. Had he not said ANYTHING to Kang in the moment, then I would have an issue with it. You're obviously very bothered by the way he handled it through Twitter, and that's ok. But it in no way cuts Kang loose of accountability. He could have come out and given his version of the way he saw it and he decides to just throw the "rules official let me play it". That only counts for so much if the RO didn't see it and is requesting Kang use HIS OWN judgment that he is 95% sure of. The fact that he leaves himself wiggle room is sketchy at best. But again, that's just the way I see it, and it really doesn't even matter anymore. It's just a shame that he's finally going to comment on it and his only comment is basically that he has no comment...LOL weak.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

If you're going to bring South Korea into this...

They have more studies done in South Korea on orbital fractures than any other place on earth.

This is due to a large number of South Korean men that get wasted in bars and getting into fist fights. So i guess Dahmen is pretty lucky this happened on the golf course.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

You're right. Based on everything I know at this point, I consider him to have taken an incorrect drop, knowingly. Do I think that because Dahmen ran to social media to tell it?? No, not in any way whatsoever do I have an issue with that. Had he not said ANYTHING to Kang in the moment, then I would have an issue with it. You're obviously very bothered by the way he handled it through Twitter, and that's ok. But it in no way cuts Kang loose of accountability. He could have come out and given his version of the way he saw it and he decides to just throw the "rules official let me play it". That only counts for so much if the RO didn't see it and is requesting Kang use HIS OWN judgment that he is 95% sure of. The fact that he leaves himself wiggle room is sketchy at best. But again, that's just the way I see it, and it really doesn't even matter anymore. It's just a shame that he's finally going to comment on it and his only comment is basically that he has no comment...LOL weak.

Thats the thing what you know is hearsay. He said she said. For you to say knowingly based on a biased over reactionary player is not a good way to see things in my opinion. The 95% comment came again from dahmen. It hasnt been confirmed by anyone not the tour not Kang. A loud mouth american versus a mild mannered south korean. Guess who ran to social media? Rules official and tour reviewed everything and got both versions and ruled in Kangs favor after the round!!!. that cant be overlooked or ignored. I will always believe that Dahmen took something personally because his actions were that of an emotional triggered teenager. he could have said anything but that on twitter and id be ok with it. Call someone cheater to his face or dont say it at all. Dahmen showed his true colors and he will answer to kang one day eye to eye, lets see how that goes. From what i understand Kang tried to meet with dahmen at the john deere but Dahmen wasnt too keen on the idea citing scheduling conflicts. That says tons about his true intentions. I still to this day give both men the benefit of the doubt but beware those who yell loudest...

I wont get into it. But living in NYC, I have had a great deal of exposure and feedback on the subject over my 40+ years from generations of people from around the world.

And, as you know, many would disagree wholeheartedly with your assessment.

Living in Asia, with an Asian wife of 8 years, and a part time purveyor of the martial arts, I would say that provoking most East Asian men will get you a cold stare. Rarely it will go to aggression, but you'd have to really piss them off. How people in NYC behave vs in their native cultures may not be the same. The standard reaction to being called out on something here is to basically ignore it and hope the angry white guy stops shouting at you, because he will realise you won't react....

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Maybe here it will. But in the golf world, you can rest assured Kang is a marked man who will have a close eye kept on him in the future. After all, he may have kept some guy out of the Open Championship by cheating. Guys are not going to stand for their livelihoods messed with like that.

And while you dismiss them as "not a household name and his frat buddies", they were willing to put their names out there and risk scrutiny such as yours.

Maybe here it will. But in the golf world, you can rest assured Kang is a marked man who will have a close eye kept on him in the future. After all, he may have kept some guy out of the Open Championship by cheating. Guys are not going to stand for their livelihoods messed with like that.

And while you dismiss them as "not a household name and his frat buddies", they were willing to put their names out there and risk scrutiny such as yours.

Do people aged 30 and under always think about what they are posting on social media? Millenials post crap and ask questions later, and if it backfires they were "hacked" LoL.

I'm sure other players have taken note. I'm sure other players have taken questionable drops themselves. Bubba Watson got relief from ants as "burrowing animals" . Sergio had Anthony Kim walk away in disgust during a Ryder Cup because of his contorted stance to get a drop

This wasn't blatant. As Kang plays with guys going forward and things go fine it will all blow over I'm sure. If it already hasn't.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Kang wins. Witch ever way you look at it, Kang followed the directions of the rules official. Nothing more to be said and he took the high road by not commenting further on the situation. Dahmen on the other hand......

When tv commentators comment on it just yesterday and note that a lot of players have the accusers back then Kang most definitely isnt winning. He will be under the microscope for a very long time.

Kang wins. Witch ever way you look at it, Kang followed the directions of the rules official. Nothing more to be said and he took the high road by not commenting further on the situation. Dahmen on the other hand......

When tv commentators comment on it just yesterday and note that a lot of players have the accusers back then Kang most definitely isnt winning. He will be under the microscope for a very long time.

Which players have the accuser's back? I mean, the other players weren't there and it wasn't on tape to review. So are the other players saying that Kang has been involved in questionable drops or other rules infractions in the past?

Which players have the accuser's back? I mean, the other players weren't there and it wasn't on tape to review. So are the other players saying that Kang has been involved in questionable drops or other rules infractions in the past?

When commentators who are former players or who have valued contacts speak of such things they arent going to reveal sources but the fact they bring it up in the PC environment means something is out there.

I would imagine it would be players who are tired of people being far too loose with the rules or it was exactly as you said.

I read a quote from Kang that said he sought Damen out at an event a week after he had posted on Twitter.

When the reporter asked what happened he just left it at "it didn't go well"

So either they continued to disagree or Kang is a 5th dan black belt in something :taunt:

I read the same thing. Apparently( according to media) Kang asked him about the c word in his twitter post and Dahmen wouldnt repeat it in front of him or talk to him about that. Says alot about Dahmens character. Kang made the ouverture to Dahmen. Reminds me of the time that flat earther moron was harassing Buzz Aldrin online and then tracked him down and repeated the insults in person. He called him a coward for "pretending to have walked on the moon" but this time in person. guess how that ended?

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UryIstlIGks[/media]

None, because non were involved in it. Kang has been on tour for way longer than Dahmen and has never had anything come up like this. In the end its a simple disagreement between 2 players that should have never come out the way it did ie dahmen running to twitter and being a coward

None, because non were involved in it. Kang has been on tour for way longer than Dahmen and has never had anything come up like this. In the end its a simple disagreement between 2 players that should have never come out the way it did ie dahmen running to twitter and being a coward

I disagree with this. A coward would have said nothing at all and just went along with it not wanting to disrupt anything.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

When commentators who are former players or who have valued contacts speak of such things they arent going to reveal sources but the fact they bring it up in the PC environment means something is out there.

I would imagine it would be players who are tired of people being far too loose with the rules or it was exactly as you said.

These are the same commentators who opine on a players swing or game and are told by people here to just shut up because they are failed players, or who are so bad that we all prefer the euro broadcasts where nothing is said, or we watch on mute.

Now they are insiders with reporting credentials, if it fits the narrative

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Thats the thing what you know is hearsay. He said she said. For you to say knowingly based on a biased over reactionary player is not a good way to see things in my opinion. The 95% comment came again from dahmen. It hasnt been confirmed by anyone not the tour not Kang. A loud mouth american versus a mild mannered south korean. Guess who ran to social media? Rules official and tour reviewed everything and got both versions and ruled in Kangs favor after the round!!!. that cant be overlooked or ignored. I will always believe that Dahmen took something personally because his actions were that of an emotional triggered teenager. he could have said anything but that on twitter and id be ok with it. Call someone cheater to his face or dont say it at all. Dahmen showed his true colors and he will answer to kang one day eye to eye, lets see how that goes. From what i understand Kang tried to meet with dahmen at the john deere but Dahmen wasnt too keen on the idea citing scheduling conflicts. That says tons about his true intentions. I still to this day give both men the benefit of the doubt but beware those who yell loudest...

Those of us siding with Dahmen are doing nothing different than you are with Kang... What you "know" about what happened may not at all be the truth and you may not want to admit it but whether you like it or not, it's possible he cheated. Rules officials told Kang, 95% is not 100% and Kang proceeded to argue his position, that's what I initially read so it didn't come just from Dahmen according to earlier reports. The RO didn't see it so he left it up to the honor system trusting Kang would make the right call, what else can they do? And whats with you and this "South Korean/Loudmouth American" broad brush you keep waving around?? Are you South Korean? I find it interesting you keep making this point like it means something or has any actual relevance to the situation.

You also state in this post, in short, that Dahmen somehow dodged the Kang meet up... then a few posts later you admit that you heard they met up and "it didn't go well".... well, which version are you sticking by?? You know, if you're going to question a guys integrity and intentions....

You believe Dahmen took something personally and he had an agenda.... some of us believe Kang straight cheated and somehow you're the one with all the facts? C'mon.... at least admit you don't actually know what happened but you're standing by Kang because you believe he is honorable and not because you think Dahmen handled it wrong, cause that's how you are coming across.

You literally say Dahmen is biased... I would love an explanation as to why you believe this. Comments like this set the stage for anytime a guy calls out a perceived "bender of the rules", its now forever going to be because of some sort of bias..... just stop.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Perception is reality, and you don't come back from being labeled a cheat. You can avoid being labeled a cheat by not taking questionable drops when your playing partner and eyewitnesses completely disagree with you on where a ball crossed. Kang chose 200 yards over his reputation. He made the decision, and will have to live with the fallout. Best of luck, kid, best of luck.

Perception is reality, and you don't come back from being labeled a cheat. You can avoid being labeled a cheat by not taking questionable drops when your playing partner and eyewitnesses completely disagree with you on where a ball crossed. Kang chose 200 yards over his reputation. He made the decision, and will have to live with the fallout. Best of luck, kid, best of luck.

So you're saying he should have lied to save his reputation?