2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TW After Carnoustie

Naptime

So a guy that played 7 events hurt during 2014, 11 more in 2015 hurt, then sits out 2016 and plays 1 in 2017 and recorded 7 of his pro career 19 missed cuts with 1 top ten finish and now plays 12 in 2018 isn't close to his prime. But somehow moves from 656 to 50 in the world rankings. And even as late as last December it wasn't clear to him and the rest of us if he would ever really play the game again. And you give him props. lol. Hogan's comeback was down right incredible. Tiger's which still has time to see where he goes with it is pretty darn amazing - can't think of any other golfers facing a serious career and life injury and returning to play at the highest tour level.

He was 1199 in December of this year. And if not for the minimum tournament rule in the OWGR's he would be 12th between fleetwood and noren.

I doubt this is correct, as he's 28th in points gained in 2018. Are you forgetting/ignoring that point values decrease over time?

No, it is correct. Tiger has earned his world ranking points in 16 events. He has 24 “zeros” included in his average right now.

If you divided his current world points total by the 16 events he has actually played in he’d be 12th.

95.064 ranking points/40 = 2.3766 (50th)

95.064 ranking points/16 = 5.9415 (12th)

That's not a sound comparison.

Those points are almost all from events that haven't depreciated much. The Farmers is still worth 0.86 its original value.

All the other guys total points include events for which the adjusted points are depreciated much more than that.

For example, Jimmy Walker's PGA win from nearly 2 years ago is now only worth 2.17 points - 0.0217x its original value.

Its still worth more than a zero right?

Jason Day is also currently penalized (very slightly) by the minimum divisor. He has only played in 39 events.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt this is correct, as he's 28th in points gained in 2018. Are you forgetting/ignoring that point values decrease over time?

No, it is correct. Tiger has earned his world ranking points in 16 events. He has 24 “zeros” included in his average right now.

If you divided his current world points total by the 16 events he has actually played in he’d be 12th.

Those points are almost all from events that haven't depreciated much. The Farmers is still worth 0.86 its original value.

All the other guys total points include events for which the adjusted points are depreciated much more than that.

For example, Jimmy Walker's PGA win from nearly 2 years ago is now only worth 2.17 points - 0.0217x its original value.

No, because when you include those old events in his total points (the numerator), you're also adding 1 to the event total (denominator).

Your modified Tiger calculation excludes the "zero" events from the denominator, which gives a low event total and (mostly) un-depreciated points in the numerator.

This is a variant of the Rahm outrage from a few months ago.

He's right there. I think he gets at least one major in 2019 and once he gets that one, I believe that'll give him the confidence he needs to win a few more and surpass Jack.

I'm assuming this is a parody response of the media and fans who still believe Tiger will pass Jack. Do you really believe there's any way that a guy who won his last major in 2008 at 32 is going to then go 11 years without winning one before then going on to win 5 more?! That's madness - I'd be delighted if Tiger could bag just one more, but even that's looking unlikely. Also, a lot of people are acting like it's just a matter of time before he wins another major as they say his game will continue to get better post-surgery, but the guy is 42, so set against his game being likely to get better as he comes back from injury is the likelihood of his skills diminishing as he ages. Which force will be most significant over the next 2-3 years? Next year for example he'll have more golf under his belt, but he'll also be a year older.

Did he choke?

Yes he did, because he crapped his pants when it looked like he might actually win the tournament, just like at Honda, Bay Hill, Memorial, The Players, The National, and many. many other tournaments post-2009.

It wasn't just a bad two holes on Sunday either. He looked supreme the first 7 holes and hardly missed a shot, and then the wheels started coming off. He made good recoveries to save par on the next 3 holes, but his smooth game started to falter as he found bunker with his tee shot at 8, hit a terrible second shot at 9, drove into the bunker at 10, missed the fairway with a 3 iron at 11 then butchered the hole around the green (he still should have been able to get up and down for bogey after leaving the pitch shot short), missed the fairway with another 3 iron at 12 and hit a pretty embarrassing second that didn't really get up in the air and went kind of sideways, then was very scrappy for the next two holes e.g. way left with driver at 14, before making the long birdie putt on the same hole. He lost his game over holes 8-14 rather than just 11-12.

There's a disturbing trend with TW. Get in contention on a Sunday then wilt on the back 9. Once he breaks out of that, he could be a force to be reckoned with. But he has to break out of that first. It says a lot that the winner is a first timer and pulled it off playing in the same group as TW. The aura isn't what it once was. As far as Spieth, he dang near won a major with his B game. Looks to me like his game is trending upwards so maybe we'll see him in the winner's circle soon.

The trend mentioned above is correct, but I think it's going to be much more difficult to break than people think. A lot of people seem to forget this is a trend that has continued for most of the past 9 years, not a 2018 one. It's finally getting mentioned now, as Tiger is often wilting late on Sunday, whereas for a lot of 2010-2017 he'd wilt in a regular tour event if he was in contention after 2 rounds or very early on Sunday (i.e. he'd wilt earlier so the choking wouldn't be as evident as it is when it's the back 9 on Sunday). In an odd kind of way, Tiger has looked a bit mentally stronger this year than in 2010-2017, as he's getting closer to the finish line before losing his mind.

I know people are going to mention 2012-2013, and yes, he did close a bit better in those years, but even in the tournaments he won he was nowhere near as convincing as he once was. In 2013 he didn't break 70 on Sunday in any of his 5 wins, and there were still numerous meltdowns in 2012-2013 e.g. 2012 AT&T Pebble Beach, 2012 Cadillac Championship, 2012 US Open + PGA, 2012 BMW (or Deutsche Bank, can't remember which), 2012 Turkish Airlines, 2013 British Open etc.

XM Radio guys think that he should take a page out of FM book after playing with him yesterday to stop trying to over-power the course. Ever since he has been back he has been talking about his swing speed and hitting it as far as the best players out there. He needs to find the speed that allows him to hit fairways and shape the ball. I don't disagree but think it is easier said than done. My issue was they compared him to Kuchar who doesn't try to over-power and a future DJ who can no longer swing the way he does. Kuchar is consistently a top 20 guy, but no one you are scared of down the stretch. That isn't Tiger's game.. And a future DJ who is in his 40s, is a complete hypothetical at this point. So I thought their examples were off a little. But I think anyone on here that has talked about Tiger this year has said, his swing during his range time is significantly different than his on the course swing. I will say up until hole 11 on Sunday, his swing was on point.

It's a strange time for the XM Radio guys to say that, since surely no one would accuse Tiger of trying to overpower the course at Carnoustie. If anything you could argue he was playing far too conservatively.

Also, people just lazily blame the driver for everything, but the two hole double bogey, bogey stretch on 11+12 were caused largely by missing the fairway both times with 3-iron in hand. The club is almost irrelevant when Tiger starts to lose it mentally when in contention, and he's just as liable to screw up a tee shot with a 3-iron, hit a crappy iron shot or start missing short putts as he is to duck hook a driver.

Tiger showed us yesterday he is no longer superhuman, He now makes unforced errors, he cant just turn on the magic on demand anymore. Players are no longer. intimidated by his presence..One of the most telling stats they showed yesterday was that TW has never won a major on Sunday when he had to come from behind...I will give him his props that he played well, the best he has played all year

Dont know if Bellerive is his type of course, but I would be cautious and not start engraving his name on the Wanamaker trophy just yet

So a guy that played 7 events hurt during 2014, 11 more in 2015 hurt, then sits out 2016 and plays 1 in 2017 and recorded 7 of his pro career 19 missed cuts with 1 top ten finish and now plays 12 in 2018 isn't close to his prime. But somehow moves from 656 to 50 in the world rankings. And even as late as last December it wasn't clear to him and the rest of us if he would ever really play the game again. And you give him props. lol. Hogan's comeback was down right incredible. Tiger's which still has time to see where he goes with it is pretty darn amazing - can't think of any other golfers facing a serious career and life injury and returning to play at the highest tour level.

He was 1199 in December of this year. And if not for the minimum tournament rule in the OWGR’s he would be 12th between fleetwood and noren. You can’t deny he still has game.

Anyone who says otherwise has strong confirmation bias that he’s a has been.

Here is Tiger’s ranking page. Clearly 656 at year end 2017. http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=5321

Check before the Hero. #1199 = Tiger Woods

Also,

https://mobile.twitter.com/TWlegion/status/1021134711920480257/photo/2

Regardless of whether you're a fan or not, anyone who watches golf on television has to be happy about Tiger's progress this season. It always has been, and always will be more compelling when he is in the mix.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Let anyone on tour now take 2 years off, comeback with a new body and swing to accommodate that body, and do what TW is doing and tell me, "oh man, that was pretty good, but the magic is gone....".

Foolish statement, if his Open play was next year's performance I'd say maybe the magic is gone, but it's WAY too soon to say that.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I would love to see him get the most wins title, and at least 1 more major. I don't think he will surpass Jack's 18 majors, todays field is just too deep and he won't return fully to his form years ago. He could get another major, Jack got one at the age of 46.

It's interesting to go back and look at Jack's performances at the same stage in life. He got a 2nd at the US Open when he was 42 (Tiger's age) and another 2nd at the PGA the following year. After that, he was pretty lackluster and was cut at age 45 from both the US Open and the Open Championship. His win at the Master's at age 46 really came out of the blue. So, if Jack is a guide, I'd say Tiger has maybe one more major victory in him.

With respect to "magic", aging athletes don't really ever lose it. What you lose with age is consistency, not the ability to pull off a magic shot now and then.

XM Radio guys think that he should take a page out of FM book after playing with him yesterday to stop trying to over-power the course. Ever since he has been back he has been talking about his swing speed and hitting it as far as the best players out there. He needs to find the speed that allows him to hit fairways and shape the ball. I don't disagree but think it is easier said than done. My issue was they compared him to Kuchar who doesn't try to over-power and a future DJ who can no longer swing the way he does. Kuchar is consistently a top 20 guy, but no one you are scared of down the stretch. That isn't Tiger's game.. And a future DJ who is in his 40s, is a complete hypothetical at this point. So I thought their examples were off a little. But I think anyone on here that has talked about Tiger this year has said, his swing during his range time is significantly different than his on the course swing. I will say up until hole 11 on Sunday, his swing was on point.

Yea he definitely needs to find his version of Jordan’s fall away jumper. The bulk of his entire golfing life has been spent overpowering courses, so I’d imagine finding that fall away jumper at this stage might prove to be his biggest challenge both physically and mentally.

He's still sending it with the best of them though at 180 ball speed. You could think of all his swing changes as his various fadeaway jumpers already.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

He's right there. I think he gets at least one major in 2019 and once he gets that one, I believe that'll give him the confidence he needs to win a few more and surpass Jack.

I'm assuming this is a parody response of the media and fans who still believe Tiger will pass Jack. Do you really believe there's any way that a guy who won his last major in 2008 at 32 is going to then go 11 years without winning one before then going on to win 5 more?! That's madness - I'd be delighted if Tiger could bag just one more, but even that's looking unlikely. Also, a lot of people are acting like it's just a matter of time before he wins another major as they say his game will continue to get better post-surgery, but the guy is 42, so set against his game being likely to get better as he comes back from injury is the likelihood of his skills diminishing as he ages. Which force will be most significant over the next 2-3 years? Next year for example he'll have more golf under his belt, but he'll also be a year older.

Did he choke?

Yes he did, because he crapped his pants when it looked like he might actually win the tournament, just like at Honda, Bay Hill, Memorial, The Players, The National, and many. many other tournaments post-2009.

It wasn't just a bad two holes on Sunday either. He looked supreme the first 7 holes and hardly missed a shot, and then the wheels started coming off. He made good recoveries to save par on the next 3 holes, but his smooth game started to falter as he found bunker with his tee shot at 8, hit a terrible second shot at 9, drove into the bunker at 10, missed the fairway with a 3 iron at 11 then butchered the hole around the green (he still should have been able to get up and down for bogey after leaving the pitch shot short), missed the fairway with another 3 iron at 12 and hit a pretty embarrassing second that didn't really get up in the air and went kind of sideways, then was very scrappy for the next two holes e.g. way left with driver at 14, before making the long birdie putt on the same hole. He lost his game over holes 8-14 rather than just 11-12.

There's a disturbing trend with TW. Get in contention on a Sunday then wilt on the back 9. Once he breaks out of that, he could be a force to be reckoned with. But he has to break out of that first. It says a lot that the winner is a first timer and pulled it off playing in the same group as TW. The aura isn't what it once was. As far as Spieth, he dang near won a major with his B game. Looks to me like his game is trending upwards so maybe we'll see him in the winner's circle soon.

The trend mentioned above is correct, but I think it's going to be much more difficult to break than people think. A lot of people seem to forget this is a trend that has continued for most of the past 9 years, not a 2018 one. It's finally getting mentioned now, as Tiger is often wilting late on Sunday, whereas for a lot of 2010-2017 he'd wilt in a regular tour event if he was in contention after 2 rounds or very early on Sunday (i.e. he'd wilt earlier so the choking wouldn't be as evident as it is when it's the back 9 on Sunday). In an odd kind of way, Tiger has looked a bit mentally stronger this year than in 2010-2017, as he's getting closer to the finish line before losing his mind.

I know people are going to mention 2012-2013, and yes, he did close a bit better in those years, but even in the tournaments he won he was nowhere near as convincing as he once was. In 2013 he didn't break 70 on Sunday in any of his 5 wins, and there were still numerous meltdowns in 2012-2013 e.g. 2012 AT&T Pebble Beach, 2012 Cadillac Championship, 2012 US Open + PGA, 2012 BMW (or Deutsche Bank, can't remember which), 2012 Turkish Airlines, 2013 British Open etc.

It's a strange time for the XM Radio guys to say that, since surely no one would accuse Tiger of trying to overpower the course at Carnoustie. If anything you could argue he was playing far too conservatively.

Also, people just lazily blame the driver for everything, but the two hole double bogey, bogey stretch on 11+12 were caused largely by missing the fairway both times with 3-iron in hand. The club is almost irrelevant when Tiger starts to lose it mentally when in contention, and he's just as liable to screw up a tee shot with a 3-iron, hit a crappy iron shot or start missing short putts as he is to duck hook a driver.

Oh, he back

https://twitter.com/...057020131078145

Also, I like that he went after that flop near the bunker. Shows some *alls. Think he thought he could hole it. Wasn't as bad a shot as people say and no way to get the ball close with a normal pitch shot.

He's still sending it with the best of them though at 180 ball speed. You could think of all his swing changes as his various fadeaway jumpers already.

That 180 ball speed is no longer dominating the field or the courses anymore.

For a large portion of his prime and before all the tiger-proofing and course lengthening, his distance was a huge advantage. His current ball speed while in the upper echelon of the tour, isn’t giving him a club or two advantage into the green over the field like in the bulk of his prime.

No, because when you include those old events in his total points (the numerator), you're also adding 1 to the event total (denominator).

Your modified Tiger calculation excludes the "zero" events from the denominator, which gives a low event total and (mostly) un-depreciated points in the numerator.

For 2018 ONLY:

Jordan Spieth has earned 113.53 world rankings points in 17 events (6.67 per event)

Tiger Woods has earned 92.70 points in 12 events (7.72 points per event)

The point is, Tiger is much better than the 50th golfer in the world right now, he is just handicapped by the min divisor currently.

For 2018 ONLY:

Jordan Spieth has earned 113.53 world rankings points in 17 events (6.67 per event)

Tiger Woods has earned 92.70 points in 12 events (7.72 points per event)

The point is, Tiger is much better than the 50th golfer in the world right now, he is just handicapped by the min divisor currently.

Sure, he's better than 50th. But he's not 12th - projecting his mostly un-depreciated current points to 2 full seasons is incorrect.

Without doing all the calculations, I'd guess he's somewhere in the 20s. 28th in total points earned in 2018, but likely a few spots higher in points per event.

Including his crappy 2016/2017 results would drop him down a bit.

Would take every single one of those guys over Tiger.

You know who wouldn't? NBC.

Who cares about ratings? It is about the W. US more likely to win with Tiger sitting at home. They should park Phil at home too.

Tiger can be a huge part of the team winning if he is properly used, let him rest during alt shot and then pair him with a straight hitter which will take some pressure off his driving.

The guy has a pretty solid singles record so that isn't much of concern.

You really think he has done anywhere near enough to make it this year? I get that the captain is one of his best buds, and will be pressured by some to pick him (and will). It will be a joke though, because there is no way tiger deserves it. If his name was Joe Blow it wouldn't even be mentioned. Please don't tell me "all he's done in the past". His past was a long time ago.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

Who cares about ratings? It is about the W. US more likely to win with Tiger sitting at home. They should park Phil at home too.

Tiger can be a huge part of the team winning if he is properly used, let him rest during alt shot and then pair him with a straight hitter which will take some pressure off his driving.

You really think he has done anywhere near enough to make it this year? I get that the captain is one of his best buds, and will be pressured by some to pick him (and will). It will be a joke though, because there is no way tiger deserves it. If his name was Joe Blow it wouldn't even be mentioned. Please don't tell me "all he's done in the past". His past was a long time ago.
I agree 100%. Any American that wants Tiger on the team must have missed the Ryder Cup matches for almost two decades. Besides his play on the course, his attitude destroyed the team element.

Leave him of the team, and defend the Cup.

See above post. By OWGR, he's roughly in the 20s since his comeback. That would put him within the top 12 Americans and a defensible choice, especially under the Azinger doctrine (4 "hot hand" captain's picks).

Unless he is dreadful at Firestone and the PGA, I think Furyk picks him.

(And even if he is dreadful, Furyk still probably picks him)

They should bring back the old school All Star Game ballots for the RC and let the fans decide!

img44.jpg

tiger-club-twirl.gif

That ballot brings back memories.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Outside of the US Open he has been playing great golf, so yeah I would say he is on track to earning it. He had a terrific Open Championship, got into the Bridgestone and will likely do well there as well and maybe even win. He seems to have his putting figured out, like I said before let him rest during foursomes and put him with a straight hitter and let Tiger go after it. I have zero concerns about him doing well in a singles match, Tiger lives for that kind of format.

If not Tiger than who else is this slam dunk pick over him?

• Callaway Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 60X
  • Callaway Epic Max  3W 14.5* Mitsubishi MMT 70X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno HMB 4 iron, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Odyssey White OG 7s

Tiger and Furyk were teamed together a lot. No way Furyk doesn't pick him. He's not the type to make a decision like not picking him.. But please stop with "top 12 Americans" stuff. He hasn't won a thing. In fact as has been mentioned, he's choked away a few chances. I'll say this again, if his name was Joe Blow, nobody would even consider him off his year. Not to mention he didn't have a "last year".

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

Tiger and Furyk were teamed together a lot. No way Furyk doesn't pick him. He's not the type to make a decision like not picking him.. But please stop with "top 12 Americans" stuff. He hasn't won a thing. In fact as has been mentioned, he's choked away a few chances. I'll say this again, if his name was Joe Blow, nobody would even consider him off his year. Not to mention he didn't have a "last year".

Phil could be the captain and he would pick Tiger, like I said before who else do you want on the team? Na? Kisner? Finau?

• Callaway Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 60X
  • Callaway Epic Max  3W 14.5* Mitsubishi MMT 70X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno HMB 4 iron, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Odyssey White OG 7s

I have a question for anyone who has a list of the top 50 handy. Since Tiger is now ranked #50, (which in itself is kind of stupid because other guys have been winning tournaments over the last year and a half and he hasn't). How many out of the 49 ahead of him are American?

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

I have a question for anyone who has a list of the top 50 handy. Since Tiger is now ranked #50, (which in itself is kind of stupid because other guys have been winning tournaments over the last year and a half and he hasn't). How many out of the 49 ahead of him are American?

All your questions can be answered by the owgr site

Phil could be the captain and he would pick Tiger, like I said before who else do you want on the team? Na? Kisner? Finau?

I wouldn't ake any of those 3 as of now. It is a close call though. Who else is there? have to be some better choices then that, I would think.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW