TW After Carnoustie

Naptime

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He goes plays the Bridgestone , the PGA and possibly a pick for the Ryder Cup , he would certainly make my team .

What he takes away from this week is that he can still compete and may be better on courses that do not need driver . He is not the Tiger of 10 years ago and never will be . But he is capable of winning if he wants it enough and is prepared to put the time and effort in . But he does not scare these kids like he did 18 years ago . But to do what he has done is amazing but Jacks record is safe .

I have quoted the Curtis Strange interview many times. But give it time. Tiger started almost 40 years after Jack. Jack about 40 years after Jones. By that measure the next will be a rookie about 2037.

I think the next one will be Asian. Also think it's a little early to write off the likes of Spieth and McIlroy. Both of them have enormous talent and a ton of time on their side.

It's not too early to put them in the Jack Tiger debate. And they never will be. They may be in the debate of best of this era but they will both be well short of a Phil career. One or both will probably reach Phil's major total but neither will come close in career wins.

Its unfair to them for sure. I always thought of both had a chance for a watson career and still think Spieth gets there but hes certainly giving away some golden chances.Good news is hes getting regular chances regardless of form going into majors.He has that it factor in majors

Watson's 39 or Phil's 43 seem very unlikely to me. Jordan has now gone over a year without a win.

My initial response was to a post claiming they could be the generational talent that wins like Tiger or Jack. Perhaps Jordan will prove me wrong but as I posted about a year ago he seems to be getting more and more fidgety as time goes on. Not a good trait imo.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

But he does not scare these kids like he did 18 years ago . But to do what he has done is amazing but Jacks record is safe .

Tour Talk

Most of these 'kids' were in diapers or still wetting the bed 18 years ago. ;)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

I have quoted the Curtis Strange interview many times. But give it time. Tiger started almost 40 years after Jack. Jack about 40 years after Jones. By that measure the next will be a rookie about 2037.

I think the next one will be Asian. Also think it's a little early to write off the likes of Spieth and McIlroy. Both of them have enormous talent and a ton of time on their side.

It's not too early to put them in the Jack Tiger debate. And they never will be. They may be in the debate of best of this era but they will both be well short of a Phil career. One or both will probably reach Phil's major total but neither will come close in career wins.

Its unfair to them for sure. I always thought of both had a chance for a watson career and still think Spieth gets there but hes certainly giving away some golden chances.Good news is hes getting regular chances regardless of form going into majors.He has that it factor in majors

Watson's 39 or Phil's 43 seem very unlikely to me. Jordan has now gone over a year without a win.

My initial response was to a post claiming they could be the generational talent that wins like Tiger or Jack. Perhaps Jordan will other me wrong but as I posted about a year ago he seems to be getting more and more fidgety as time goes on. Not a good trait imo.

He could get to 10+ majors. Ton of time left and he keeps giving himself a lot of chances every year.

Spieth is 25. He has a ton of time to reach Phils victory total.

Lol. No chance. Not good enough.

He could get to 10+ majors. Ton of time left and he keeps giving himself a lot of chances every year.

Perhaps. My posts have been referring to total wins.

If we have learned anything from Tigers career the "pace" off wins early in a career does not make it a given they will reach certain heights. Everyone thought 20 majors was a given for Tiger as of a decade ago.

Perhaps. My posts have been referring to total wins.

If we have learned anything from Tigers career the "pace" off wins early in a career does not make it a given they will reach certain heights. Everyone thought 20 majors was a given for Tiger as of a decade ago.

Yes, which is why I think it’s too early to write off Spieth. Mickelson did not reach 11 wins until age 27. He didn’t win a major until age 34. Spieth has a ton of time and we will have to see how it plays out for him. I don’t imagine he will crash and burn like Tiger. Steadier career like Mickelson seems more of the expected outcome.

So, are they going to televise the flogging of the idiot that yelled in Tiger's backswing?

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

So, are they going to televise the flogging of the idiot that yelled in Tiger's backswing?

BT

I think it was the father of the little kid talking during Xanders flop. :)

Wasn't Tiger outside the top 1000 in the OWGR just a year or so ago?

Actually it's somewhat impressive he was able to get back in the top 50 esp considering his age.

BTW Molinari is not a "no name". He's been the hottest golfer on the planet these past few months tbh.

For those of us who follow European golf Molinari is pretty big. By now the North Americans should be well aware of him, too.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

He goes plays the Bridgestone , the PGA and possibly a pick for the Ryder Cup , he would certainly make my team .

What he takes away from this week is that he can still compete and may be better on courses that do not need driver . He is not the Tiger of 10 years ago and never will be . But he is capable of winning if he wants it enough and is prepared to put the time and effort in . But he does not scare these kids like he did 18 years ago . But to do what he has done is amazing but Jacks record is safe .

I agree with most^, but keep in mind he's barely been back long, he's still in the crawling phase of his new body. When he learns to walk/win we will see how he affects the competition, and if he gets to running again, watch out. Barring injury, he's improving steadily and I see nowhere but up from here.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

BT

Flogging is so barbarian. They don't do that any more. The modern method is quartering by horses.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

Not sure team sports excellence is comparable to individual sports. In golf it's Jack and Tiger. The rest are a tier or more below. In tennis it's Federer and Nadal. Most great players aren't really transcendent; they're just consistently good over some period.

Why would team sports be any different? We're not talking team achievements here. LeBron has been on some god awful teams, he has still put up individual stats that are better than Jordan's. Ditto Brady over Montana. People made the exact same argument about Pete Sampras that people now make about Tiger. And within a decade Federer had become the new GOAT. Ditto Serena over Steffi. I can't name a sport in which the player considered the GOAT is not active now or wasn't active within the past 20 years. Can you? The point is "once in a lifetime" players don't exist. There's always someone better who comes along within 20 years or so.

Baseball. Trout has a chance, but for now it is still Ruth or maybe Mays.

You’re right about lots of other sports, though.

I predict a 700% increase in Tiger specific threads in WRX Tour Talk that are slight variations of each other.

I love these comments... Like him, love him or hate him we will never see a 14 time major champion in our life time. Appreciate what we have been fortunate to see over the last 20 years. he almost pulled this Open Championship off.

People said the same thing about Jordan. Then along came Lebron. They said the same thing about Sampras. Then along came Federer. They said the same thing about Montana. Then along came Brady. They said the same thing about Kasparov. Then along came Magnus Karlsson. They said the same thing about Nicklaus. Then along came Tiger. There's ALWAYS another transcendent player on the horizon. And he'll be here in your lifetime.

Nobody will break Gretzky's point record. Ever. The game has changed too much.

Golf has changed a lot as well. Overall strength of field is so much better than it has ever been. That will make it harder for someone to dominate at the same level of mega-stars of the past.

Gretzky has admitted he'd never have the career or success in the NHL he has if he played in the NHL today. I honestly don't think Jack wins 18 Majors if he played against the guys on Tour today.

Gretzky would not even be close to dominating today the way he did in the 80’s. The overall level of skill is light years ahead these days.

BT

The guy yelling sucked but I am not sure he could have hit his second much closer, just missed the putt.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

There’s a disturbing trend with TW. Get in contention on a Sunday then wilt on the back 9. Once he breaks out of that, he could be a force to be reckoned with. But he has to break out of that first. It says a lot that the winner is a first timer and pulled it off playing in the same group as TW. The aura isn’t what it once was. As far as Spieth, he dang near won a major with his B game. Looks to me like his game is trending upwards so maybe we’ll see him in the winner’s circle soon.

TW needs to address his Thurs + Fri scoring avg, the back nine wilting is a product of his comeback still being in it's infancy. He plays the beginning of his round on a shot-to-shot basis and takes what the course is willing to give him, smart plays that result in birdies occasionally. Once he obtains any sort of first-9 momentum, he get's focused on a number, especially on Sunday where he has a winning score in mind. Running out of holes, he tries manufacturing birdies the entire way in, to get there, and hits a few wayward shots that cost him. TW used to be capable of that "extra gear", but he isn't quite there yet given the ~7 months he's been back.

As far as his 'aura', I guarantee the competition will start feeling it once he graces the winner's circle again. I agree though on Sunday's of late, front nine Tiger, back nine Kitty...

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Tiger proved today that he can still compete. He has shown he has the speed, this week he showed that he also has the fineness and strategy IMO.

Heck, he played the golf course better than the overnight leaders.

He has taken his ability to show up and perform in tour events and applied it in a major championship, the only thing missing from the return is a win.

Where can I go get my back fused?

Doesn't really work for guys who haven't won 14 majors LOL

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I am willing to bet the farm that Tiger has his 86 Masters moment. Call it fate, destiny, the supernatural... whatever it is, I believe the stars will align for Tiger one last time in a major. There just feels like an inevitability that his career will be bookended by magical moments. I'm not hoping, wishing, praying for this, I just expect it for some inexplicable, logic-defying reason.

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

My initial response was to a post claiming they could be the generational talent that wins like Tiger or Jack. Perhaps Jordan will other me wrong but as I posted about a year ago he seems to be getting more and more fidgety as time goes on. Not a good trait imo.

I think Spieth gets to 30 wins 6-7-8 majors is what I meant. Not the exact win totals of those 2 but those types of careers.When you have that kind of short game and fire it carries you.He has gone a year without a win but has has plenty of chances in between. hes won one of the last 5 majors and had a great chance to win 3 of them.When that dries up ill worry. He had mono to start the year which i believe really knocked him down he looked frail and non energetic for months.I believe he will finish the year strong

So he will play next week at the Bridgestone and two weeks after at the PGA.

He is currently top 50 in FedEx points. Does he qualify to play those events? Do not fully know if there are any other qualifications or if it is just being in the top rankings. If so, that will be a lot of golf for him (any golfer) 8 tournaments in 11 weeks.

He is currently top 50 in FedEx points. Does he qualify to play those events? Do not fully know if there are any other qualifications or if it is just being in the top rankings. If so, that will be a lot of golf for him (any golfer) 8 tournaments in 11 weeks.

Currently 43rd in the Fedex Cup standings, so it isn't guaranteed that he'll get to the Tour Championship.

It is a lot, but all the best players do it. Anybody who is sponsored by RBC (e.g. DJ) plays the Canadian Open, too.

It all changes next year, though - the PGA is moved to May, and there will be 3 Fedex events instead of 4.

You mean the FedEx playoffs? Yes, he qualifies there. I'd guess he skips the Northern Trust since he's well inside the cutoff to get to the next round.

Tiger is a lock for the Ryder Cup, unless he removes himself. Aside from Phil, who's sitting at #11 and I'm sure will get picked, you're not taking Schauffele, DeChambeau, Kuchar, Kisner, or Finau over Tiger. My Hope is Webb Simpson falls out of the Top 9 because we've seen that show before.

Please not the Ryder Cup. Captains Picks need to be young guns. Tiger's Ryder Cup career is abysmal.

Tiger is a lock for the Ryder Cup, unless he removes himself. Aside from Phil, who's sitting at #11 and I'm sure will get picked, you're not taking Schauffele, DeChambeau, Kuchar, Kisner, or Finau over Tiger. My Hope is Webb Simpson falls out of the Top 9 because we've seen that show before.

Would take every single one of those guys over Tiger.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.