2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Music on the course?

I would bet that 99% of the rounds anyone plays are just casual not completive. So who cares if we listen to music while we play with friends.

We have been doing it for several years now and never had a complaint. I often see other players mouthing the words to some songs when they hear it.

Remember the old saying " If its too loud you're too old" and just for reference i'm 66 :blind:

First-that's not what they are mouthing. Second-if other players can hear it at all it's too loud. :rockon:

I guess I'm mouthing along if the lyrics are "turn that s*** off."

I feel blessed that cart golf is still rare in Finland.

At my home course I walk and carry my bag most of the time. For my rare solo rounds with music the phone goes in my front pocket. No need for a cart.

So why not wear the ear buds?

Don't own any and see no need to buy them.

And if you keep it low enough there's no reason to use buds either. Some people here seem to think the only way to listen to music will result in others hearing it. That's just not so.

There's an easy solution to the music problem and it's one I employ any time I'm not playing with people I know. Simply ask your playing partners prior to teeing off "do you mind if I play music?" If any object, the speaker stays in the bag. Period.

But, again, common sense is severely lacking in this world.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

Never have we listened to the music louder than being able to hear it from more than 10 feet from the cart. Never ever would we roll up that close to anyone. Only time anyone gets close is when the course gets backed up and people pull up behind us on a tee box.

Most responses are "hey that's a great idea. What speaker are you using"

I’m not trying to be argumentative here, I’m genuinely curious. So on Saturday I was grilling out in my backyard and listening to a podcast that my phone was throwing to my little Bluetooth speaker. So I decided to turn the volume down to the point where when I walked like 10-12 feet away I couldn’t hear it. By the time I got it to that point it was so quiet I could barely hear it standing right next to it and if I made any noise like setting the spatula on the grill or opening the grill lid the speaker got drowned out completely. So I would think in a moving cart or push cart with all of the other natural noise you hear on a course, or rattling clubs, etcetera, it would make hearing the speaker really tough and therefore defeat the purpose of having it on at all. So why not go with wireless earbuds or something?

I realize that a lot of people that say their stuff can’t be heard from 10 feet away are not being totally accurate but for those that are really doing that isn’t there a better way to listen to your stuff and actually enjoy it?

psychologically speaking, I really think that those who play music want others to hear their music.

Well there’s a lot of that I’m sure but I know people that have music on and when they’re sitting in their cart with it on you can have a conversation with them and not have to raise your voice. So the music is pretty low (I’d say about as low as you could get it and have it be worthwhile that it’s on). But then you get 100 yards away and you can still hear it under the right circumstances. You might not be able to declare what the song is but you can tell there is music being played. Depending on wind direction & acoustics sound can travel pretty far away even if it’s at a reasonable volume.

I feel blessed that cart golf is still rare in Finland.

At my home course I walk and carry my bag most of the time. For my rare solo rounds with music the phone goes in my front pocket. No need for a cart.

So why not wear the ear buds?

Don't own any and see no need to buy them.

And if you keep it low enough there's no reason to use buds either. Some people here seem to think the only way to listen to music will result in others hearing it. That's just not so.

But again, and I know you initially answered this question, but I wanted to draw it out further. If your music is playing at a whisper, what exactly are you hearing?? Can you even recognize the song currently playing? Can you describe the sonic qualities when you listen to music this low? I have been cart-side when someone had a BT speaker going, and truth be told, I couldn't tell if it was Carpenters or Doobie Brothers, and I remember thinking, why bother when you can't even hear the freeking music?

EG, if I listen to Alice in Chains 'Would', I would (haha) not bother if I did not hear the bass and drums establishing the backbone while Cantrell laid down a somewhat syncopated guitar line on top, and then of course Layne filled in the entire sound with his vocals. I don't listen to music unless I can hear this level of detail, it's stupid IMO. I would rather listen to music once or twice a day at high focus than all day long as background noise.

Absolutely you can tell what's playing and as I said before you can here the instruments, vocals, and you can hear the bass. Obviously you can't feel bass.

Over the weekend I played with friends and they didn't know I had music on till one of them walked up to my push cart to use sunscreen. He was surprised since I'd had it on for the last 5 holes. You can't here it at 15 feet but I can here it fine when I'm pushing my cart down the fairway when the speaker is 30" from my ears. A little volume management also helps when you get closer to others.

Been playing regularly at a nice private course and I was surprised that guys frequently have speakers with them and you don't know it unless you end up waiting on the same tee box with them on a backed up morning.

But again, and I know you initially answered this question, but I wanted to draw it out further. If your music is playing at a whisper, what exactly are you hearing?? Can you even recognize the song currently playing? Can you describe the sonic qualities when you listen to music this low? I have been cart-side when someone had a BT speaker going, and truth be told, I couldn't tell if it was Carpenters or Doobie Brothers, and I remember thinking, why bother when you can't even hear the freeking music?

EG, if I listen to Alice in Chains 'Would', I would (haha) not bother if I did not hear the bass and drums establishing the backbone while Cantrell laid down a somewhat syncopated guitar line on top, and then of course Layne filled in the entire sound with his vocals. I don't listen to music unless I can hear this level of detail, it's stupid IMO. I would rather listen to music once or twice a day at high focus than all day long as background noise.

The mind works wonders at filling in the pieces.

Absolutely you can tell what's playing and as I said before you can here the instruments, vocals, and you can hear the bass. Obviously you can't feel bass.

Over the weekend I played with friends and they didn't know I had music on till one of them walked up to my push cart to use sunscreen. He was surprised since I'd had it on for the last 5 holes. You can't here it at 15 feet but I can here it fine when I'm pushing my cart down the fairway when the speaker is 30" from my ears. A little volume management also helps when you get closer to others.

Been playing regularly at a nice private course and I was surprised that guys frequently have speakers with them and you don't know it unless you end up waiting on the same tee box with them on a backed up morning.

We played in a scramble this weekend and the other team had music playing that you could only hear from right next to their cart. We had them actually turn it up because they had a pretty good mix going. Both teams had a fun time.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

We played in a scramble this weekend and the other team had music playing that you could only hear from right next to their cart. We had them actually turn it up because they had a pretty good mix going. Both teams had a fun time.

^^^This brings up a question I had. I was wondering (for rules aficionados) when something like this happens in a tournament would it result in penalty / DQ of only the guy who owned the device or would both guys be subject to it if one asked for it to be turned up? I realize this situation is a scramble where the rules are often fast and loose but what about a legit tournament like say a Member / Guest where all USGA rules govern play?

How many listen to college football games on Saturdays while playing?

I've definitely done that before. And playoff hockey games.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

From my experience, most rules committees for (real) tourneys, (not scrambles) don’t even know that playing music is against the rules.

And, unfortunately, most committees are spineless on things like this. Also unfortunately, the way the rule is written, it’s up to each individual committee to actually DQ someone for this, at their own discretion. It’s not like, “If you play any music, it’s an auto-DQ”. That’s not the rule.

It's like anchoring. It's all about intent.

From my experience, most rules committees for (real) tourneys, (not scrambles) don’t even know that playing music is against the rules.

And, unfortunately, most committees are spineless on things like this. Also unfortunately, the way the rule is written, it’s up to each individual committee to actually DQ someone for this, at their own discretion. It’s not like, “If you play any music, it’s an auto-DQ”. That’s not the rule.

It's like anchoring. It's all about intent.

There's an easy solution to the music problem and it's one I employ any time I'm not playing with people I know. Simply ask your playing partners prior to teeing off "do you mind if I play music?" If any object, the speaker stays in the bag. Period.

This x 1000

If the people I am playing with simply ask if it is okay to turn on a speaker then I guarantee I will say yes. I don't want to hear their music but I can live with it. I am getting really tired of them just assuming it is not a problem and playing it without asking first. I have insane hearing (they call me Batman at work because I can hear crickets farting at the front desk from the exam rooms in the back) and I don't care how quiet you think it is, I can totally hear you fire up Safety Dance by Men without Hats from across the fairway... Yes that is a real example from this morning.

"Well if your friends don't dance well then they don't Dance and that's no friend of mine."

Ffs if you feel the need to put on a speaker with your choice of music while playing with people you don't know, just ask first... Because you are the one who is violating standard etiquette so the onus should be on you.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

I play in a lot of tournaments and NO, do not play music during those rounds. My casual weekday rounds, I have a radio in my cart and most times it is on. My Saturday rounds are with guys who do not listen to music so I don't play mine. My Sunday rounds...everyone in the group play music and so do I.

I listen to either pop or country.

This x 1000

If the people I am playing with simply ask if it is okay to turn on a speaker then I guarantee I will say yes. I don't want to hear their music but I can live with it. I am getting really tired of them just assuming it is not a problem and playing it without asking first. I have insane hearing (they call me Batman at work because I can hear crickets farting at the front desk from the exam rooms in the back) and I don't care how quiet you think it is, I can totally hear you fire up Safety Dance by Men without Hats from across the fairway... Yes that is a real example from this morning.

"Well if your friends don't dance well then they don't Dance and that's no friend of mine."

Ffs if you feel the need to put on a speaker with your choice of music while playing with people you don't know, just ask first... Because you are the one who is violating standard etiquette so the on us should be on you.

Men Without Hats!!!

Holy sh!t. This highlights the 4th or 5th important point about music on the course, which is, you may think your music is awesome, but chances are others will not agree with you, whether it's Lynard or Zep or Kylie or Ariana or Ice or 50cent or RunDMC or John Denver or it doesn't matter, most others when you pull up with the music playing 'softly' will in all probability be like 'wtf??, I hate that song'. I love Steely Dan and Mozart, but many other people have informed me that my taste in music sucks.

This x 1000

Ffs if you feel the need to put on a speaker with your choice of music while playing with people you don't know, just ask first... Because you are the one who is violating standard etiquette so the on us should be on you.

Men Without Hats!!!

Holy sh!t. This highlights the 4th or 5th important point about music on the course, which is, you may think your music is awesome, but chances are others will not agree with you, whether it's Lynard or Zep or Kylie or Ariana or Ice or 50cent or RunDMC or John Denver or it doesn't matter, most others when you pull up with the music playing 'softly' will in all probability be like 'wtf??, I hate that song'. I love Steely Dan and Mozart, but many other people have informed me that my taste in music sucks.

Hmmm, I could add John Denver to the Johnny Mathis mix, but there's a risk some people like John Denver.

This is why you go back to the rules. Nobody will agree on the music. And yes, it can be heard.

Problem is, you're now putting it on the other guy to be the d-bag. Particularly if it's you and a buddy, and then him. You might be cool if the guy says no, but I guarantee you most guys will react with something between "we don't keep it that loud" and "don't tell me you're the stick in the mud. This is gonna be a fun round." A large number of "yes" answers are made under duress, I can assure you.

Sorry, but the music people think they are being magnanimous, but frankly they are being selfish. I'm going to do what I want to do, and who cares if the rest don't like it. I'll dare them to tell me to turn it off.

I feel sorry for you in a way. It's a shame you limit your enjoyment of music to pristine playback conditions only. I can only imagine what it would be like if I could only enjoy golf if I was playing a course in immaculate condition.

It's nice to listen to some recordings in an isolated playback situation on high quality equipment but my enjoyment of the music does not seem to suffer when listening to the same recording on lower quality playback. Some people just can't get out of their own way. I once met a DJ who felt every song post Beatles was a rip-off and not worth listening to. The guy obviously had lost the joy of music and had himself stuck in a job where he had to play music he hated 5 nights a week. Kind of funny, to me, actually.

Problem is, you're now putting it on the other guy to be the d-bag. Particularly if it's you and a buddy, and then him. You might be cool if the guy says no, but I guarantee you most guys will react with something between "we don't keep it that loud" and "don't tell me you're the stick in the mud. This is gonna be a fun round." A large number of "yes" answers are made under duress, I can assure you.

I tend to agree with that which is why when I play with people outside of my group I don't even bother asking because I don't plan on turning on my music.

I feel sorry for you in a way. It's a shame you limit your enjoyment of music to pristine playback conditions only. I can only imagine what it would be like if I could only enjoy golf if I was playing a course in immaculate condition.

It's nice to listen to some recordings in an isolated playback situation on high quality equipment but my enjoyment of the music does not seem to suffer when listening to the same recording on lower quality playback. Some people just can't get out of their own way. I once met a DJ who felt every song post Beatles was a rip-off and not worth listening to. The guy obviously had lost the joy of music and had himself stuck in a job where he had to play music he hated 5 nights a week. Kind of funny, to me, actually.

No need for pity. I listen to music constantly, probably more than you. As I said before, I can't live without it. Just not on the course. I have the newest Robert Plant record playing right now. Really cool Moroccanesque sound to his latest stuff.

No need for pity. I listen to music constantly, probably more than you. As I said before, I can't live without it. Just not on the course. I have the newest Robert Plant record playing right now. Really cool Moroccanesque sound to his latest stuff.

"As I said before, I can't live without it."

A comment like that makes you sound very weak, like you're being controlled by music to a point where you can't resist. I hear that often times from younger folks who say I got to have music playing. I don't think you do, it's just that you want it. At the same token, there are many others who don't want it!

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter