2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Music on the course?

First out so no one hears us until some holes on the back nine (near front nine) and then turn down the volume. Only need one crotchety old f@$t to ruin it for others.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

irony_alert.jpg?w=240&h=216

It's for listening to when I am in the cart only. My media volume on my phone gets set to about 1/4 of the sliding bar. Can't hear it past 10 feet. And I only play it when I am alone. Don't even try with others.

Rules? I don't play competitive golf. I play casual golf. The USGA does not have domain over that. What else?

You list a handicap. So your handicap's as fake as Under2's.

You're part of Under's 4-some, ain't ya ? :taunt:

Why would my handicap be fake?

Your "Rules? I don't play competitive golf. I play casual golf. The USGA does not have domain over that. What else?" suggests that you don't care nor play by the Rules along with your refusal to believe the USGA actually DOES have "domain" over your casual golf.

If that IS the case then your handicap is fraudulent.

If I misconstrued what you said/implied I apologize.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Yeah you assumed. My "casual" rounds are by myself and practice. Can't post by myself rounds. That is also the only time I listen to music IF I am competing I follow the rules.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Being that having it on at all is knowingly breaking the rules, why play by any of the rules?
How about you answer that for yourself. What traffic rule have you knowingly broken and then why do you then follow some of the other traffic rules?
Whataboutism. Take the L. Stick to the subject.
Try not making inane arguments and then ducking a response when you already know, and already knew, the answer before you posed your question. Silliness. Some of you act like if someone makes a minor rules infraction the entire golf world is in danger of suddenly being thrust into a complete chaotic mess.
What is a minor infraction? What is a major one? It's like North BUtte said elsewhere. The problem with people who are cool with letting a rule slide, are going to have one that they absolutely cannot abide by someone violating it. Then the problem becomes which one is right,because for you it may be music, for another it may be moving a ball out of a divot, another may say drop instead of reload when it might be OB or lost. How exactly do you expect someone to take you seriously about a rule when you have others you completely disregard? The other option is not to post in a rules forum, since, you know, that's the topic.

because for you it may be music,

No advantage, who cares beyond annoyance?

or another it may be moving a ball out of a divot,

Significant advantage, two strokes or loss of hole in match.

another may say drop instead of reload when it might be OB or lost.

This thoroughly negates the player's score for the remainder of the round. Loss of hole in match if for some reason it was allowed.

See, everything stops somewhere. Now I agree with you for the most part and I consider myself an honest player but the argument that where does it stop is answered by the notion somewhere. It will always stop somewhere and it would be asinine to suggest that all rules infractions weigh equally upon a player's score and the outcome of a match. If you forgot an extra club in your bag that you didn't use and forgot was there, that's a far cry from kicking your ball out from behind a tree when nobody's looking.

I'm ok with a little grey area around a few more nuanced rules in a casual foursome. Cripes, advice alone would cost most groups. If you teed up two inches in front of the markers, I'm just not that concerned. Did you take a drop and then fluff it up? I might have a problem with that. Is your personal "somewhere" north or south of mine? Sure, but the question is am I doing due diligence to the rules and if I'm asking myself am I failing to advance my ball properly it's kind of like the am-I-drinking-too-much question. If you have to ask...

So here is the question that 'music lovers' never answer: WHY BOTHER?

A saying in the music industry is 'you can't polish a turd'. ie. if a song sucks no matter how much you polish it the song still sucks.

I think it works in the opposite direction as well. If a song is good enough it will still sound good no matter how crappy the playback device is. Your mileage may vary.

Whataboutism. Take the L. Stick to the subject.

Try not making inane arguments and then ducking a response when you already know, and already knew, the answer before you posed your question. Silliness. Some of you act like if someone makes a minor rules infraction the entire golf world is in danger of suddenly being thrust into a complete chaotic mess.

What is a minor infraction? What is a major one? It's like North BUtte said elsewhere. The problem with people who are cool with letting a rule slide, are going to have one that they absolutely cannot abide by someone violating it. Then the problem becomes which one is right, because for you it may be music, for another it may be moving a ball out of a divot, another may say drop instead of reload when it might be OB or lost. How exactly do you expect someone to take you seriously about a rule when you have others you completely disregard?

The other option is not to post in a rules forum, since, you know, that's the topic.

Very simple.

Minor infraction: anything that at worst gives the player a scoring advantage during a casual, non-competitive round.... which either makes no impact on a competitive round or puts said player at a disadvantage for competitive rounds.

Major infraction: Any breach of rules that gives a player an advantage during a competitive round unless the rule was agreed upon before the start of the round or initiated by the committee in charge of the competitive round.

Another thing many here seem to (seemingly willfully) forget, often, is that it is also an etiquette forum.

We'll disagree on the definition of minor/major, but it's your ball, I really don't care.

But since you brought etiquette into it, if we're paired together, I ask you to turn your music off. What do you do?

I don't have my music on in the first place. The only time I play my music is when I am with MY group who I already have gotten an OK to play music from or when I play as a single. Sometimes I end up getting a chance to play as a single and REALLY enjoy being able to play some music for once. Most of the times I end up catching up to a threesome or foursome and someone behind me ends up joining up. Long before they reach the tee to join up my music is turned off. I am sad that I can't play my music but usually happy to meet another new (to me) player.

But if by some chance you catch me by surprise and have to ask me to turn off my music I would apologize and absolutely turn off the music. It has happened where someone has come out of nowhere to my surprise and then I have always turned off the music whether they asked me to (which hasn't happened) or not.

Two questions; who plays music via speaker when golfing and what are you typically listening to when playing?

Myself and my buddies usually have music playing, at a reasonable volume as to not disturb others who don't like it. Just wondering if you also have music and what you are listening to typically?

It's against the rules. and offensive to others. Why do you think other people want to listen to your music?

This thread has gone just like all the others, no idea why OP thought it needed airing once again.

But ...... not a fan in general, however, this afternoon a friend had some stuff going in his cart, my kind of music, not obtrusive, nobody else around, it was fine.

Unfortunately, and more often than not when it's encountered on the course, it's guys who think they are still in their freshman dorm. Rarely run into it but it's more common than even a couple years ago.

Two questions; who plays music via speaker when golfing and what are you typically listening to when playing?

Myself and my buddies usually have music playing, at a reasonable volume as to not disturb others who don't like it. Just wondering if you also have music and what you are listening to typically?

As long as it's 'Any way you want it' I don't see an issue.

Try playing music on any course in the UK and you'll be told to leave immediately and never come back. That'll be just after someone applies a 9 iron to the music source.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

I don't play music on the course, but I have a couple of friends who like it in casual play. They're pretty responsible, keep the volume low. As has been said, its against the rules.

I used to be against playing music on the course. After being around it enough I now always have music playing. I listen to alternative rock when I play. It keeps me calm for some reason and I play better with it.

I hope those who enjoy it and who play better with it, like @ABARTSCHMID, continue to use it for their casual play, and continue to post those rounds for handicap. When we play a proper competition, you won't be allowed to play it, and you'll have put yourself at a disadvantage.

Which is exactly why I feel it is an advantage for those playing it-in casual rounds. Just about every single person that plays music on the course says they do so because it relaxes them and helps their rhythm/tempo. How exactly is that not an aid?

But as you say as long as it's not in my group and I can't hear it have at it. I have seen many players get completely rattled playing events where it's not allowed. Every little noise distracts them.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Yeah you assumed. My "casual" rounds are by myself and practice. Can't post by myself rounds. That is also the only time I listen to music IF I am competing I follow the rules.

Lack of detail begets assumptions. ;)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

This thread has gone just like all the others, no idea why OP thought it needed airing once again.

But ...... not a fan in general, however, this afternoon a friend had some stuff going in his cart, my kind of music, not obtrusive, nobody else around, it was fine.

Unfortunately, and more often than not when it's encountered on the course, it's guys who think they are still in their freshman dorm. Rarely run into it but it's more common than even a couple years ago.

Actually this was different in that it was a thread asking for what type of music you play, in the first page OP got some responses that stayed on topic. But just like every music on the course thread, those against music just can't help themselves and come in and say how it's against the rules and they hate it and how even though you can't hear the music from 15 feet outside your cart they definitely can hear it clear as day 3 holes over. I mean there are a ton of threads on hear asking advice on clubs, attire, everything that I think are absolutely rubbish. But I don't go into a thread asking for advice on skinny golf pants or flat brim hats saying how stupid they both look. Nope I just let those that like those fashion trends talk amongst themselves on what they like to wear. Conversely I'd think if you don't like music on the course you wouldn't go and comment on a thread asking advice on playlists etc on music on the course.

Now to the OP I usually play the chilling on a dirt road playlist on Spotify. I'm starting to listen to less music on the course though, did almost exclusively a few years ago but now it's less then 25% of the time I will have it on.

Actually this was different in that it was a thread asking for what type of music you play, in the first page OP got some responses that stayed on topic. But just like every music on the course thread, those against music just can't help themselves and come in and say how it's against the rules and they hate it and how even though you can't hear the music from 15 feet outside your cart they definitely can hear it clear as day 3 holes over. I mean there are a ton of threads on hear asking advice on clubs, attire, everything that I think are absolutely rubbish. But I don't go into a thread asking for advice on skinny golf pants or flat brim hats saying how stupid they both look. Nope I just let those that like those fashion trends talk amongst themselves on what they like to wear. Conversely I'd think if you don't like music on the course you wouldn't go and comment on a thread asking advice on playlists etc on music on the course.

Now to the OP I usually play the chilling on a dirt road playlist on Spotify. I'm starting to listen to less music on the course though, did almost exclusively a few years ago but now it's less then 25% of the time I will have it on.

The OP also asked who plays music through a speaker on the golf course.

Try playing music on any course in the UK and you'll be told to leave immediately and never come back. That'll be just after someone applies a 9 iron to the music source.

I've never heard music on the course, pretty confident you would be told to turn it off or leave. Saturday afternoon I've heard horse racing plenty of times

Relax Francis. You well know any threads with the words 'music' and 'on the course' are going to draw all kinds of responses. Don't try to be a mod unless you are duly consecrated and splashed with holy WRX water. Besides, as Thinking pointed out, the OP left the door open by asking 'who plays music', which then invites many variations of 'not me', along with reasons of why not.

IMO, out of all the contentious topics on WRX, this one is the most benign and entertaining. I love the POV from the Brits saying 'what? you mean people actually play music while golfing?!?!'. They have a hard time comprehending the self centeredness of Americans.

Music on the golf course irritates the living crap outta me but unfortunately there’s no putting the genie back in the bottle. I don’t want to be the jerk that ruins it for everybody else so I won’t say anything, but it definitely decreases my enjoyment of the round.

I tend to grab a few clubs and walk to avoid the constant barrage of classic rock, new country, or eighties aquanet metal that guys my age assume EVERYBODY loves. I’m normally a very social golfer, but once the Eagles or Def Leppard join the foursome I turn into Nick Faldo going through a divorce.

Why do people get bent out of shape over thread topics that have been covered before? This is a message board. If we didn’t repeatedly talk about pointless, inane stuff then what in the heck would we do here? It’s not like anything ever gets solved. Ha. It’s for entertainment purposes only.

Besides new people come along all the time. I’m not new, but I’ve never chimed in on a music thread before this so the topic is “new to me” I suppose.

Music on the golf course irritates the living crap outta me but unfortunately there's no putting the genie back in the bottle. I don't want to be the jerk that ruins it for everybody else so I won't say anything, but it definitely decreases my enjoyment of the round.

I tend to grab a few clubs and walk to avoid the constant barrage of classic rock, new country, or eighties aquanet metal that guys my age assume EVERYBODY loves. I'm normally a very social golfer, but once the Eagles or Def Leppard join the foursome I turn into Nick Faldo going through a divorce.

I was playing in a partner tournament at our club a few years ago. Our opponents arrived with music playing and asked if we mind. I said, yes, it's against the rules. Their response was "well, it's not the US Open".

So I said it's OK for them to play music but I get to choose what rule I break too.

That ended the music.

Music on the golf course irritates the living crap outta me but unfortunately there's no putting the genie back in the bottle. I don't want to be the jerk that ruins it for everybody else so I won't say anything, but it definitely decreases my enjoyment of the round.

I tend to grab a few clubs and walk to avoid the constant barrage of classic rock, new country, or eighties aquanet metal that guys my age assume EVERYBODY loves. I'm normally a very social golfer, but once the Eagles or Def Leppard join the foursome I turn into Nick Faldo going through a divorce.

That's the part about this that continues to annoy me. I've made my peace with music on the course -- it's everywhere. But the notion that everyone should like that stale, old crap never seems to occur to the ones most often firing up their bluetooth speakers. I could happily go the rest of my life without ever hearing the Eagles or Foreigner or Pearl Jam ever again, but that's not going to happen because that's the only thing guys of a certain age will listen to. Over, and over, and over...

Played at my home course yesterday with 3 of my friends. We all walk with push carts. It was one of the days I decided to listen to music. The speaker is in the pushcart tray 30" from my ears I could here it fine and was inaudible at 15'

About mid round one of my buddies walks to my bag to use my sunscreen, and he asks if I had music on the whole time because he didn't realize I'd had it on. With a little volume management it's not hard to be discreet.

As for my play list; a good mix of classic rock and modern alternative.

Most guys with music have no clue how annoying it can be for some others (like me). Even if they "keep the volume low", which is highly subjective, invariably they wind up in a situation where two tees are close together and/or their cart comes within earshot of others on the course that don't want to hear it. On top of the cluelessness many of the music guys tend to have a F-you attitude which makes it a double whammy. Keep the music off the course and problem solved.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"