MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Man, this is starting to feel like groundhog day.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

> @willboyrd said:

> Man, this is starting to feel like groundhog day.

Big Ben...Parliment...

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

translation : "I'm not making the cut after what I did day 1, so there's no way in heck I'm playing 18 today."

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

A great perk at work is having all the snacks available in our kitchen. We have a small office with about 8-10 folks who are here daily. Whenever there are donuts or bagels, it seems there is ALWAYS someone who takes half of one and leaves the rest. Nobody ever goes back for the remaining half/third/quarter. Just take the whole dang thing.

Well, now this person has graduated to opening a dove chocolate candy bar, will break off a few squares, and then put the opened package back with the rest of the snacks. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE! We all know who it is and this person is a germophobe, which makes it even more puzzling as this person would never eat what someone else has left.

And before people say "that's common for a female who doesn't want to eat too much" -- it's a dude.

HASHTAGsnacksWRX

/work rant

• Like 2

> @ceejay81 said:

> A great perk at work is having all the snacks available in our kitchen. We have a small office with about 8-10 folks who are here daily. Whenever there are donuts or bagels, it seems there is ALWAYS someone who takes half of one and leaves the rest. Nobody ever goes back for the remaining half/third/quarter. Just take the whole dang thing.

>

> Well, now this person has graduated to opening a dove chocolate candy bar, will break off a few squares, and then put the opened package back with the rest of the snacks. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE! We all know who it is and this person is a germophobe, which makes it even more puzzling as this person would never eat what someone else has left.

>

> And before people say "that's common for a female who doesn't want to eat too much" -- it's a dude.

>

> HASHTAGsnacksWRX

> /work rant

Agreed x10000. Happens all the time in my office too.

Even worse, I have seen the '1/2 of the donut' move executed so that the 'perpetrator' can eat 1/2 of two different kinds/flavors of donut. Frequently, with one of the mutilated donuts being filled so in addition to everything else, it just makes a mess.

People are the worst.

• Like 1

[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

> @willboyrd said:

> > @ceejay81 said:

> > A great perk at work is having all the snacks available in our kitchen. We have a small office with about 8-10 folks who are here daily. Whenever there are donuts or bagels, it seems there is ALWAYS someone who takes half of one and leaves the rest. Nobody ever goes back for the remaining half/third/quarter. Just take the whole dang thing.

> >

> > Well, now this person has graduated to opening a dove chocolate candy bar, will break off a few squares, and then put the opened package back with the rest of the snacks. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE! We all know who it is and this person is a germophobe, which makes it even more puzzling as this person would never eat what someone else has left.

> >

> > And before people say "that's common for a female who doesn't want to eat too much" -- it's a dude.

> >

> > HASHTAGsnacksWRX

> > /work rant

>

> Agreed x10000. Happens all the time in my office too.

>

> **Even worse, I have seen the '1/2 of the donut' move executed so that the 'perpetrator' can eat 1/2 of two different kinds/flavors of donut. Frequently, with one of the mutilated donuts being filled so in addition to everything else, it just makes a mess.**

>

> People are the worst.

![](https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEjHCACoXye1k10GY/giphy.gif "")

![](https://media.giphy.com/media/1yhXPpefqKmyyT54yY/giphy.gif "")

• Like 1

Was just watching the golf. Rory on 17. One guy was watching him. Dude was just eye-effibg the F outta him on his approach shot.

I'm in a bar and literally LOL'd.

No chance I can explain my behavior to non-golfers, I now must return to my home planet.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Played 9 with my pops this afternoon. He’s around 25 years older than Tiger but has an equally bad back, so he hadn’t been out in 6 weeks. Good to have it line up while I’m in town visiting.

Hitting it not bad. Making some occasional birds. Today I made triple on the first hole then finished 5 over on the 9. His place is a short course with lots of room to miss off the tee on most holes, so it’s not exactly a good test for my game. 6k yards from the tips, but only a par 69 (just one par 5) so plays a smidge harder than it sounds. Smaller greens with big undulations on the greens. Basically, shooting well there doesn’t translate well to the courses I normally play.

• Like 1

Do folks generally go for the pin or play it safe and go for the middle of the greens? I’m finding that I’m thinking I can pull off a nice shot but when I go to execute, I end up missing the green completely. Generally, it’s not distance but right of the green since I hit it straight or cut it depending on the pin. For example, played whiskey today and front 9 was good except for a stupid par 4 where it took me 3 shots to get out of a bunker to an elevated tee but on the back 9, I only hit 1 green. That’s some doodoo which led to me needing to scramble. The greens were lightning fast too which I could not get used too at all.

Let me be a little more specific. If you are 140 yards and closer. What do you do?

> @gsrjc said:

> Do folks generally go for the pin or play it safe and go for the middle of the greens?

>

> Let me be a little more specific. If you are 140 yards and closer. What do you do?

From 140 in it depends on the pin and where the trouble is if there is any. Generally I would go at anything from that range no matter what but for shots outside that yardage I would use the following strategy and it may serve to help you within that range too.

I judge it based on which side of the green the pin is on. I play a fade so if the pin is on the left I'll try and start it at the pin and hold it or let it just fade back toward the middle. Middle pin take dead aim. Right pin is start it toward the middle and let it fade but if not you still have a putt. Other people here may not agree but I've seen it work time and time again

> @Sterling_247 said:

> > @gsrjc said:

> > Do folks generally go for the pin or play it safe and go for the middle of the greens?

> >

> > Let me be a little more specific. If you are 140 yards and closer. What do you do?

>

> From 140 in it depends on the pin and where the trouble is if there is any. Generally I would go at anything from that range no matter what but for shots outside that yardage I would use the following strategy and it may serve to help you within that range too.

> I judge it based on which side of the green the pin is on. I play a fade so if the pin is on the left I'll try and start it at the pin and hold it or let it just fade back toward the middle. Middle pin take dead aim. Right pin is start it toward the middle and let it fade but if not you still have a putt. Other people here may not agree but I've seen it work time and time again

This is generally what I do also. I’d say when the pin is on the right side of the green, I completely miss it right. I try to hit a cut starting at the middle of the green but after contact with the ball, it starts at the pin and cuts a few yards to the right of where I started it. Maybe it’s alignment issues that I’m having and I can’t tell.

> @endlesswinterco said:

> We have 10 signed up for next Sunday’s 4ball would love to get at least two more so we can have three foursomes.

Who's in so far. If everyone knows their favorite XHoop is playing, might draw a few more golfers.

• Like 1

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

> @gsrjc said:

> > @XHoop24 said:

> > > @endlesswinterco said:

> > > We have 10 signed up for next Sunday’s 4ball would love to get at least two more so we can have three foursomes.

> >

> > Who's in so far. If everyone knows their favorite XHoop is playing, might draw a few more golfers.

> Haha. I’m signed up already.

>

Forget someone?

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

> @Golfer827 said:

> > @gsrjc said:

> > > @XHoop24 said:

> > > > @endlesswinterco said:

> > > > We have 10 signed up for next Sunday’s 4ball would love to get at least two more so we can have three foursomes.

> > >

> > > Who's in so far. If everyone knows their favorite XHoop is playing, might draw a few more golfers.

> > Haha. I’m signed up already.

> >

>

> Forget someone?

Are you signed up to play too?

> @gsrjc said:

> > @Golfer827 said:

> > > @gsrjc said:

> > > > @XHoop24 said:

> > > > > @endlesswinterco said:

> > > > > We have 10 signed up for next Sunday’s 4ball would love to get at least two more so we can have three foursomes.

> > > >

> > > > Who's in so far. If everyone knows their favorite XHoop is playing, might draw a few more golfers.

> > > Haha. I’m signed up already.

> > >

> >

> > Forget someone?

>

> Are you signed up to play too?

Just signed up this evening, my friend. See you at Worthington.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

> @Golfer827 said:

> > @gsrjc said:

> > > @Golfer827 said:

> > > > @gsrjc said:

> > > > > @XHoop24 said:

> > > > > > @endlesswinterco said:

> > > > > > We have 10 signed up for next Sunday’s 4ball would love to get at least two more so we can have three foursomes.

> > > > >

> > > > > Who's in so far. If everyone knows their favorite XHoop is playing, might draw a few more golfers.

> > > > Haha. I’m signed up already.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Forget someone?

> >

> > Are you signed up to play too?

>

> Just signed up this evening, my friend. See you at Worthington.

Nice. It’s at Challedon.

• Like 1

> @gsrjc said:

> > @Golfer827 said:

> > > @gsrjc said:

> > > > @Golfer827 said:

> > > > > @gsrjc said:

> > > > > > @XHoop24 said:

> > > > > > > @endlesswinterco said:

> > > > > > > We have 10 signed up for next Sunday’s 4ball would love to get at least two more so we can have three foursomes.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Who's in so far. If everyone knows their favorite XHoop is playing, might draw a few more golfers.

> > > > > Haha. I’m signed up already.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Forget someone?

> > >

> > > Are you signed up to play too?

> >

> > Just signed up this evening, my friend. See you at Worthington.

>

> Nice. It’s at Challedon.

rprhy9v5nm2a.jpeg

Played Clustered Spires for the first time this year. Went out as a single and caught up to a twosome at hole 3.

I've only ever played the front 9 of that course. The back has some really interesting holes. Unfortunately, it's in pretty poor shape at the moment, tons of patchy grass in the fairways and the rough. I had a bare or divot lie in the fairway at least 4 times. The two guys I caught up to and played the last 16 holes with were members and they said the course discovered a 'weevil' infestation a few months ago and that's what the issue with the grass was.

I hadn't played there in a while because I think I caught the course at the wrong time a few times last year right before they were about to mow the next day and you legitimately would lose balls a yard off the fairway. The layout is really interesting though.

> @gsrjc said:

> Do folks generally go for the pin or play it safe and go for the middle of the greens? I’m finding that I’m thinking I can pull off a nice shot but when I go to execute, I end up missing the green completely. Generally, it’s not distance but right of the green since I hit it straight or cut it depending on the pin. For example, played whiskey today and front 9 was good except for a stupid par 4 where it took me 3 shots to get out of a bunker to an elevated tee but on the back 9, I only hit 1 green. That’s some doodoo which led to me needing to scramble. The greens were lightning fast too which I could not get used too at all.

>

> Let me be a little more specific. If you are 140 yards and closer. What do you do?

I've talked about this before, but to me, this is kind of the essence of playing the game. Once your swing is somewhat repeatable, proper target choosing is essential.

For each club in my bag, I basically have -- in my mind -- my "circle". With a wedge, it's a circle with the target at the center and it maybe has a 10 yard radius. I expect my wedge to land in that circle. I like to think of it as a 2D "bell curve" (I don't normally get all statistical on the course, but in words, I will). If you took 1000 shots from 100 yards, hopefully your balls are generally clustered around where you're aiming, with balls spreading outwards in lower and lower densities. That should make sense. It should also make sense that a better golfer's circle is smaller than your circle, and a worse golfer has a bigger circle.

(In reality the "circle" is more like an oval, with the "distance" component being less variable than the left/right component. And in more reality, it's probably a tilted oval with the long axis of the oval pointed from short right to long left. The important thing is that you know the shape of your oval.)

With a 7 iron, it's a circle with the target at the center and a larger radius. With a 4 iron, larger radius. With a driver, even larger.

But, that's only one aspect of the shot. When you overlay your oval on the pin, you need to figure where that circle falls. If you have a center pin, and a small circle, aim straight at the pin. If you have a back left pin, and there's water long and left, and your circle overlaps a lot of water, move that circle to the center of the green.

MOST of the time, you're going to be better off trying to maximize the number of times you're putting. But, there are exceptions. . .there's a few greens at my course where the player has an easy chip if he flies the green to a back pin (the green slopes away in the back), but it's a tough 2 putt if you come up short and have to putt to the back of the green, so there, I can be aggressive to a back pin (IOW, I center my circle on the pin).

In many places, you find the green is tilted high in back, to low in front, and long of the green slopes away. In that case, you're a fool if you go long. I move the center of my circle closer to the center of the green.

I love when I get a back left pin that's a little longer than my club choice. In that case, I'll aim towards the center of the green and overswing a little. If I hit it "normal", I'm center of the green. Sometimes, I'll pull it long left and be all over that pin.

VERY GENERALLY, I'm happy to "hit the green" when I start getting in the 160 range. I start hoping to be in the right section from 130-150. Inside 125 I start _hoping_ to have a decent look at birdie. Doesn't mean I always will, but I need a good reason to aim away from a pin when I'm inside 125 (good reason = really bad miss location near the pin, tweener distance, high winds, big slopes on greens, etc etc.)

One thing about having a good short game is that it lets you aim at tucked pins a little more often. If you're not so worried about getting up and down you can give yourself more good birdie looks.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> VERY GENERALLY, I'm happy to "hit the green" when I start getting in the 160 range. I start hoping to be in the right section from 130-150. Inside 125 I start _hoping_ to have a decent look at birdie. Doesn't mean I always will, but I need a good reason to aim away from a pin when I'm inside 125 (good reason = really bad miss location near the pin, tweener distance, high winds, big slopes on greens, etc etc.)

>

That's pretty much how I break it down. The yardages will be different for every golfer but the concept is solid. The key is realistically knowing where your ball should end up on good/ehhh/bad swings from each yardage (which goes back to your oval City)