MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

> @Sterling_247 said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > VERY GENERALLY, I'm happy to "hit the green" when I start getting in the 160 range. I start hoping to be in the right section from 130-150. Inside 125 I start _hoping_ to have a decent look at birdie. Doesn't mean I always will, but I need a good reason to aim away from a pin when I'm inside 125 (good reason = really bad miss location near the pin, tweener distance, high winds, big slopes on greens, etc etc.)

> >

>

> That's pretty much how I break it down. The yardages will be different for every golfer but the concept is solid. The key is realistically knowing where your ball should end up on good/ehhh/bad swings from each yardage (which goes back to your oval City)

This is one of the reasons I go out in the winter with just my 8 iron through putter and drop balls in the fairway @ the 160 mark. My goal is to hit the green.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

What a great weekend. Thursday saw Hootie and the Blowfish at Merriweather, perfect weather for the lawn and a fun show. Friday played at Compass Pointe N/E, North in really nice shape, East had punched greens but in great shape otherwise. No warm up and it showed the first couple of holes, settled down but putting became a challenge after the turn. Beautiful day and caught up with CG2 for a few minutes, I hadn't seen Rob for a couple of years. My wife took me out to dinner for my birthday and kept ordering drinks for me. Vodka martinis, slightly dirty with bleu cheese olives. I have a great wife. Saturday was our MDGC tournament at Woodmore, finally met Tex at his Callaway tent. I didn't want to hit any of the shiny new stuff before teeing off but I probably should have. Struggled all day and finished middle of the pack. Seems to be my M.O. this year. Cart path only really slowed several of the older guys in the club on the back and I'm sure it backed up. I had to scoot to a family event so I don't know when the last group finished. Apologies to any course members that may have been affected. Eagle stopped by the patio as we waited for the final groups to finish. Thanks to him for providing the contacts to make our little group event happen at Woodmore. Sunday I slept late and fixed a semi brunch for the family, tinkered around all afternoon and finished with a adult beverage on the deck as the sun went down. Pretty great weekend.

> @Terphack said:

> What a great weekend. Thursday saw Hootie and the Blowfish at Merriweather, perfect weather for the lawn and a fun show. Friday played at Compass Pointe N/E, North in really nice shape, East had punched greens but in great shape otherwise. No warm up and it showed the first couple of holes, settled down but putting became a challenge after the turn. Beautiful day and caught up with CG2 for a few minutes, I hadn't seen Rob for a couple of years. My wife took me out to dinner for my birthday and kept ordering drinks for me. Vodka martinis, slightly dirty with bleu cheese olives. I have a great wife. Saturday was our MDGC tournament at Woodmore, finally met Tex at his Callaway tent. I didn't want to hit any of the shiny new stuff before teeing off but I probably should have. Struggled all day and finished middle of the pack. Seems to be my M.O. this year. Cart path only really slowed several of the older guys in the club on the back and I'm sure it backed up. I had to scoot to a family event so I don't know when the last group finished. Apologies to any course members that may have been affected. Eagle stopped by the patio as we waited for the final groups to finish. Thanks to him for providing the contacts to make our little group event happen at Woodmore. Sunday I slept late and fixed a semi brunch for the family, tinkered around all afternoon and finished with a adult beverage on the deck as the sun went down. Pretty great weekend

Hopefully we get out for a round.

Nice to meet you and hell i do worst things to the clubs then anyone.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Great/busy weekend. No golf. Headed to OC on Wednesday. My BIL's family had rented a house right in the middle of the s&*t on 12th street. There were 12 in the house after we showed up! 1 block from the boardwalk. I've never been a huge fan of OC, but you cannot beat the boardwalk in the evening for some epic people watching. Many, many "wtf" rolling around in my head as we walked. Wife and I headed to Bethany to visit some friends after check out on Saturday. Stayed on the beach late, happy hour, and ended up just spending the night. Great hang. Got home Sunday afternoon, picked up our daughter 2 hours later and headed to the Kennedy Center to see Aladdin. Great show, very intertaining. Home after 11 and up at 4 to go to work. Dragging a$$, but was worth it!

> @eagle1997 said:

> City, that's the DECADE method, almost to a tee.

>

> Dunno if you've seen this already.

>

> https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1488212/decade-by-birdiefire

At the 14 minute mark of the second video he sums up how I look at a golf course. I think he's spot on with the observations especially the note on not telling yourself that you "can't hit it there". Need to move your target line to a conservative area and then make an aggressive swing.

The point on Tiger leaving shots in the bag was also interesting. I personally think he's played more conservative than he should at times this year and it's put him in a hole in some tournaments

> @eagle1997 said:

> City, that's the DECADE method, almost to a tee.

>

> Dunno if you've seen this already.

>

> https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1488212/decade-by-birdiefire

I don't know if I have or haven't, but they're really just quantifying how people "play golf".

I mean, there's not a golfer in the world so dumb -- and I'm including DJ -- that doesn't realize it's OK to fire at a sucker pin with a wedge and not fire at it with a 4 iron.

Sounds like decade gets into actually calculating strokes gained from different positions, but I'd still argue that almost any golfer instinctively (or fully consciously) knows those things. It's not rocket science and it's not going to make much of a difference to someone's game if their "circle" from 150 has a radius of 80 yards.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Did a difficult 2 night hike in Shenandoah. The dog that came with us tapped out yesterday and its owner fireman-carried her (35 lbs) uphill for the last two hours. Seemed like there was no flat ground. We were either up or down the entire time. Cut the route short from our original plan (25 miles to 18) and that was the correct call. Ate a triple-meat pizza afterwards. Ate a bag of salt and vinegar chips while I was waiting for my pizza. We were all very wiped out.

Had three bear encounters. None particularly sketchy, but we did think we were in between a mother and a cub at one point, which got the heart rates up.

• Like 2

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @gsrjc said:

> > Do folks generally go for the pin or play it safe and go for the middle of the greens? I’m finding that I’m thinking I can pull off a nice shot but when I go to execute, I end up missing the green completely. Generally, it’s not distance but right of the green since I hit it straight or cut it depending on the pin. For example, played whiskey today and front 9 was good except for a stupid par 4 where it took me 3 shots to get out of a bunker to an elevated tee but on the back 9, I only hit 1 green. That’s some doodoo which led to me needing to scramble. The greens were lightning fast too which I could not get used too at all.

> >

> > Let me be a little more specific. If you are 140 yards and closer. What do you do?

>

> I've talked about this before, but to me, this is kind of the essence of playing the game. Once your swing is somewhat repeatable, proper target choosing is essential.

>

> For each club in my bag, I basically have -- in my mind -- my "circle". With a wedge, it's a circle with the target at the center and it maybe has a 10 yard radius. I expect my wedge to land in that circle. I like to think of it as a 2D "bell curve" (I don't normally get all statistical on the course, but in words, I will). If you took 1000 shots from 100 yards, hopefully your balls are generally clustered around where you're aiming, with balls spreading outwards in lower and lower densities. That should make sense. It should also make sense that a better golfer's circle is smaller than your circle, and a worse golfer has a bigger circle.

>

> (In reality the "circle" is more like an oval, with the "distance" component being less variable than the left/right component. And in more reality, it's probably a tilted oval with the long axis of the oval pointed from short right to long left. The important thing is that you know the shape of your oval.)

>

> With a 7 iron, it's a circle with the target at the center and a larger radius. With a 4 iron, larger radius. With a driver, even larger.

>

> But, that's only one aspect of the shot. When you overlay your oval on the pin, you need to figure where that circle falls. If you have a center pin, and a small circle, aim straight at the pin. If you have a back left pin, and there's water long and left, and your circle overlaps a lot of water, move that circle to the center of the green.

>

> MOST of the time, you're going to be better off trying to maximize the number of times you're putting. But, there are exceptions. . .there's a few greens at my course where the player has an easy chip if he flies the green to a back pin (the green slopes away in the back), but it's a tough 2 putt if you come up short and have to putt to the back of the green, so there, I can be aggressive to a back pin (IOW, I center my circle on the pin).

>

> In many places, you find the green is tilted high in back, to low in front, and long of the green slopes away. In that case, you're a fool if you go long. I move the center of my circle closer to the center of the green.

>

> I love when I get a back left pin that's a little longer than my club choice. In that case, I'll aim towards the center of the green and overswing a little. If I hit it "normal", I'm center of the green. Sometimes, I'll pull it long left and be all over that pin.

>

> VERY GENERALLY, I'm happy to "hit the green" when I start getting in the 160 range. I start hoping to be in the right section from 130-150. Inside 125 I start _hoping_ to have a decent look at birdie. Doesn't mean I always will, but I need a good reason to aim away from a pin when I'm inside 125 (good reason = really bad miss location near the pin, tweener distance, high winds, big slopes on greens, etc etc.)

>

> One thing about having a good short game is that it lets you aim at tucked pins a little more often. If you're not so worried about getting up and down you can give yourself more good birdie looks.

>

City-this is an awesome write up and as an engineer I fully understand it. I never thought the circles at all. Figured just hit somewhere on the green depending on the pin and shot shape but this has made it more clear to me. Perhaps we can play sometime and I can learn from how you manage a course.

> @baddomes said:

> Did a difficult 2 night hike in Shenandoah. The dog that came with us tapped out yesterday and its owner fireman-carried her (35 lbs) uphill for the last two hours. Seemed like there was no flat ground. We were either up or down the entire time. Cut the route short from our original plan (25 miles to 18) and that was the correct call. Ate a triple-meat pizza afterwards. Ate a bag of salt and vinegar chips while I was waiting for my pizza. We were all very wiped out.

>

> Had three bear encounters. None particularly sketchy, but we did think we were in between a mother and a cub at one point, which got the heart rates up.

Domes, sounds awesome, whereabouts did you start/go/stay? Wife and I are talking about doing a hike like this in the fall. I did a one nighter on the AT a few years back, started at Thornton Gap coming north to Front Royal, camped at one of the shelters in between. But there are so many good section hikes to do in that area.

At the time I was in a place in my life where I could have taken the time to do the entire AT. Halfway through day 1 on my one night hike I decided that was the most ludicrous idea I had ever had. Did 28 miles in 2 days and it was brutal.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @eagle1997 said:

> > City, that's the DECADE method, almost to a tee.

> >

> > Dunno if you've seen this already.

> >

> > https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1488212/decade-by-birdiefire

>

> I don't know if I have or haven't, but they're really just quantifying how people "play golf".

>

> I mean, there's not a golfer in the world so dumb -- and I'm including DJ -- that doesn't realize it's OK to fire at a sucker pin with a wedge and not fire at it with a 4 iron.

>

> Sounds like decade gets into actually calculating strokes gained from different positions, but I'd still argue that almost any golfer instinctively (or fully consciously) knows those things. It's not rocket science and it's not going to make much of a difference to someone's game if their "circle" from 150 has a radius of 80 yards.

The difficulty to any kind of course management methodology for me is to be in the moment, disciplined, and focused enough to not only stick to your strategy, but to be fully intentional about every part of the process.

I struggle with maintaining a high level of focus over every shot. I was consistently struggling with pushing my mid-irons yesterday, even did it once with a wedge. It highlighted how downright atrocious my target area selection is. I did this on a 165 yard approach where the pin was back left while aiming at the pin, absolutely no harm down, I was front right green and was able to two-putt from 45ish feet. Then 3 holes later, after at least one other pushed mid iron in between, I had a 6 iron on a par 3 to a mid-right pin, the entire world to the left and bunker and pine trees on the right. I aim at the flag and push a 6 iron right of the bunker, takes a big hope off of the side of the hill and shoots right into the pine tree.

I can honestly say I wasn't being INTENTIONALLY cavalier or aggressive with that target selection, I was just sort of unfocused and going through the motions.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Recap later, if I can remember anything at all, but made a trip to Woodmore yesterday. Glad I finally got to check out the course, but even happier to spend an afternoon with Eagle, Boogs, and C Free. So much LOLing, one liners, and even some golf in between. Old Bay wings to end, and sammich envy of C Free's BLT with overeasy egg. A+++++ experience.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @baddomes said:

> > Did a difficult 2 night hike in Shenandoah. The dog that came with us tapped out yesterday and its owner fireman-carried her (35 lbs) uphill for the last two hours. Seemed like there was no flat ground. We were either up or down the entire time. Cut the route short from our original plan (25 miles to 18) and that was the correct call. Ate a triple-meat pizza afterwards. Ate a bag of salt and vinegar chips while I was waiting for my pizza. We were all very wiped out.

> >

> > Had three bear encounters. None particularly sketchy, but we did think we were in between a mother and a cub at one point, which got the heart rates up.

>

> Domes, sounds awesome, whereabouts did you start/go/stay? Wife and I are talking about doing a hike like this in the fall. I did a one nighter on the AT a few years back, started at Thornton Gap coming north to Front Royal, camped at one of the shelters in between. But there are so many good section hikes to do in that area.

>

> At the time I was in a place in my life where I could have taken the time to do the entire AT. Halfway through day 1 on my one night hike I decided that was the most ludicrous idea I had ever had. Did 28 miles in 2 days and it was brutal.

We were in the Keyser Run/Matthews Arm portion of the park. I attached the map to this post...not sure if it will work.

On Saturday, when we got to "G" we bailed and went north on Elkwallow to "K", and then yesterday hiked from "O" back up to "N" and took the Beecher Ridge trail back to Matthews Arm campground where we dropped the dog and its owner while the rest of us went back to get the cars to drive back to get them. Camped at primitive sites both nights, and the one near "O" was awesome.

I've done the out and back from that lot to the Overall Run Falls, but it's just one big descent/ascent. Nice hike though.

I've only done this a couple of times now, but the AT was much more crowded than the other trails. I think I like the stuff that's near the AT, but not necessarily on the AT.

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @baddomes said:

> > Did a difficult 2 night hike in Shenandoah. The dog that came with us tapped out yesterday and its owner fireman-carried her (35 lbs) uphill for the last two hours. Seemed like there was no flat ground. We were either up or down the entire time. Cut the route short from our original plan (25 miles to 18) and that was the correct call. Ate a triple-meat pizza afterwards. Ate a bag of salt and vinegar chips while I was waiting for my pizza. We were all very wiped out.

> >

> > Had three bear encounters. None particularly sketchy, but we did think we were in between a mother and a cub at one point, which got the heart rates up.

>

> Domes, sounds awesome, whereabouts did you start/go/stay? Wife and I are talking about doing a hike like this in the fall. I did a one nighter on the AT a few years back, started at Thornton Gap coming north to Front Royal, camped at one of the shelters in between. But there are so many good section hikes to do in that area.

>

> At the time I was in a place in my life where I could have taken the time to do the entire AT. Halfway through day 1 on my one night hike I decided that was the most ludicrous idea I had ever had. Did 28 miles in 2 days and it was brutal.

I'm no pro hiker, but the views in the Thornton Gap area of the park are so much better than Front Royal. Plus Sperryville has some damn good apple butter.

Toulon Palm Beach

The AT forum I was on at the time had some sort of chart where they recommended hiking/not hiking certain sections based on through hiking and when that section was likely to be more or less crowded. I went @ the end of August and only saw a couple other people in two days. The nice part is I got a shuttle to drop me at Thornton Gap and hiked back to my car in FR - that section at least isnt really conducive to day/loop hikes.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @Puppetmaster said:

> Recap later, if I can remember anything at all, but made a trip to Woodmore yesterday. Glad I finally got to check out the course, but even happier to spend an afternoon with Eagle, Boogs, and C Free. So much LOLing, one liners, and even some golf in between. Old Bay wings to end, and sammich envy of C Free's BLT with overeasy egg. A+++++ experience.

example of the shenanigans. one one drive, puppet flares one right, one handed finish, but still ends up in the fairway. i proceed to pummel my best drive ever on that hole, up in the fairway where it pinches in. there was some distance between us, and on a lark i ask c.free to shoot the difference between me n puppet's ball (it was A LOT. ((snickers)). btw, this was only on hole 2.

"break out the laser" became the refrain for the day whenever comparing distance between drives and comparing other things.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

> @Puppetmaster said:

> I'm no pro hiker, but the views in the Thornton Gap area of the park are so much better than Front Royal. Plus Sperryville has some **** good apple butter.

Completely agree. There was or is a big 4H center in FR where they let hikers park overnights without charging them and thats just the end point the shuttle company used. Was awesome because they were slinging milkshakes there when I limped out of the woods. Best milkshake in the park though was a little bit off the trail at one of the rest areas - blueberry milkshakes and double cheeseburgers.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @baddomes said:

> Did a difficult 2 night hike in Shenandoah. The dog that came with us tapped out yesterday and its owner fireman-carried her (35 lbs) uphill for the last two hours. Seemed like there was no flat ground. We were either up or down the entire time. Cut the route short from our original plan (25 miles to 18) and that was the correct call. Ate a triple-meat pizza afterwards. Ate a bag of salt and vinegar chips while I was waiting for my pizza. We were all very wiped out.

>

> Had three bear encounters. None particularly sketchy, but we did think we were in between a mother and a cub at one point, which got the heart rates up.

Sounds good and all, but what did you shoot?

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

> @eagle1997 said:

> > @Puppetmaster said:

> > Recap later, if I can remember anything at all, but made a trip to Woodmore yesterday. Glad I finally got to check out the course, but even happier to spend an afternoon with Eagle, Boogs, and C Free. So much LOLing, one liners, and even some golf in between. Old Bay wings to end, and sammich envy of C Free's BLT with overeasy egg. A+++++ experience.

>

> example of the shenanigans. one one drive, puppet flares one right, one handed finish, but still ends up in the fairway. i proceed to pummel my best drive ever on that hole, up in the fairway where it pinches in. there was some distance between us, and on a lark i ask c.free to shoot the difference between me n puppet's ball (it was A LOT. ((snickers)). btw, this was only on hole 2.

>

> "break out the laser" became the refrain for the day whenever comparing distance between drives and comparing other things.

>

>

This is obviously a preposterously fabricated story because it involves Puppet, Cfree and Boogs all playing golf.

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @baddomes said:

>

Sounds miserable. Poor pup. The extent of my hiking this weekend consisted of walking to our Mexican joint and then walking home shltfaced. The dogs were awaiting us in the cool, air conditioned condo.

Well, I walked Woodmore on Sunday, too, so I guess that's another hike. Totally ruined by having to chase down and hit a stupid ball-golf ball around.

+1 on triple meat pizzas and s&v chips.

![](https://media.giphy.com/media/xT5LMpWvNGAWQYkK0E/giphy.gif "")

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @eagle1997 said:

> > > @Puppetmaster said:

> > > Recap later, if I can remember anything at all, but made a trip to Woodmore yesterday. Glad I finally got to check out the course, but even happier to spend an afternoon with Eagle, Boogs, and C Free. So much LOLing, one liners, and even some golf in between. Old Bay wings to end, and sammich envy of C Free's BLT with overeasy egg. A+++++ experience.

> >

> > example of the shenanigans. one one drive, puppet flares one right, one handed finish, but still ends up in the fairway. i proceed to pummel my best drive ever on that hole, up in the fairway where it pinches in. there was some distance between us, and on a lark i ask c.free to shoot the difference between me n puppet's ball (it was A LOT. ((snickers)). btw, this was only on hole 2.

> >

> > "break out the laser" became the refrain for the day whenever comparing distance between drives and comparing other things.

> >

> >

>

> This is obviously a preposterously fabricated story because it involves Puppet, Cfree and Boogs all playing golf.

You mean... you didn't notice the solar eclipse yesterday as the Nine Realms aligned, pigs flew, people found gold at the end of the rainbow, and h3ll was frozen?

• Like 1

Toulon Palm Beach

> @XHoop24 said:

> > @baddomes said:

> >

>

> Sounds good and all, but what did you shoot?

>

I was looking at some of the bottom guys playing in the US Am today, like guys who are +13 or +15. They're all like +2's and +3's at home. Would be really interested to see how they went out. There's some good scores out there, too.

Coverage starts Wednesday on Fox (or FS1). This is the event they're playing on Pinehurst #2 and Pinehurst #4 in case anyone isn't paying attention.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

There's one guy at -3 who is "only" a +.2 and doesn't have a posted score in the 60's. That's showing up.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

This sounds super conservative, but instructors from another site who I think are pretty good wrote a book on golf strategy and this was their conclusion about aiming for flag:

"If your handicap is over 20 aim at the dead center of the green any time you are more than 60 yards from the flag. If it is between 11-20, aim at the dead center of the green any time you are further than 80 yards from the hole. If you are reading this and carrying a handicap 10 or lower… but you are not playing a major tour currently… let's aim at center of the green from anywhere 100 yards and further from the hole."

The book is more detailed, but this is the forum post about it: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/72445-stop-aiming-at-the-flag/

US AM wed-fri 4-7 pm and then saturday and sunday. i already have the DVR set up for wed-fri.

I love stuff like this. I watch the tour. I'm sure I would have been interested to see Reed win. BUT watching Scott Harrington play 18 last night with his tour card on the line was amazing. His wife has battled cancer for two years. He's worked his whole life to try to make it to the tour. THEN he had to pause that dream to care for his wife. He made birdie to earn his card. His interview was amazing. Watching people earn something they have worked their whole life for is just amazing. These guys in the US AM have been thinking about it all year. They've been thinking about that first tee shot. Dreaming of winning. Etc. And some of them are really going to fail. I just love watching that.

> @dsc123 said:

> This sounds super conservative, but instructors from another site who I think are pretty good wrote a book on golf strategy and this was their conclusion about aiming for flag:

>

> "If your handicap is over 20 aim at the dead center of the green any time you are more than 60 yards from the flag. If it is between 11-20, aim at the dead center of the green any time you are further than 80 yards from the hole. If you are reading this and carrying a handicap 10 or lower… but you are not playing a major tour currently… let's aim at center of the green from anywhere 100 yards and further from the hole."

>

> The book is more detailed, but this is the forum post about it: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/72445-stop-aiming-at-the-flag/

>

>

I don't know if that's conservative or not. I played with a 22 this weekend. I don't even know what I'd tell that guy. He can't hit a shot. If he had 16 yards in, 60 yards in, or 160 yards in, he'd just take a whack at the ball and it might elevate. It might not. It might be fat. It might be a thin shot rocketing over the green. There was absolutely no rhyme or reason to where his ball ended up. What's it even MEAN for him to aim at the center of the green?

But, if you're totally lost out there, I don't hate black and white rules like this.

It doesn't take much to bring in adjustments based on trouble, lie, wind, etc.

This should bother a true low handicapper : "If you are reading this and carrying a handicap 10 or lower… but you are not playing a major tour currently… let's aim at center of the green from anywhere 100 yards and further from the hole."

It's ludicrous.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Patric> @dsc123 said:

> This sounds super conservative, but instructors from another site who I think are pretty good wrote a book on golf strategy and this was their conclusion about aiming for flag:

>

> "If your handicap is over 20 aim at the dead center of the green any time you are more than 60 yards from the flag. If it is between 11-20, aim at the dead center of the green any time you are further than 80 yards from the hole. If you are reading this and carrying a handicap 10 or lower… but you are not playing a major tour currently… let's aim at center of the green from anywhere 100 yards and further from the hole."

>

> The book is more detailed, but this is the forum post about it: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/72445-stop-aiming-at-the-flag/

>

>

Pretty much aim at center of the green

Did Kent write this book.. does it mention the 150 marker anywhere?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

> @TheCityGame said:

>

> This should bother a true low handicapper : "If you are reading this and carrying a handicap 10 or lower… but you are not playing a major tour currently… let's aim at center of the green from anywhere 100 yards and further from the hole."

>

Agreed, I would bounce that number back to about 150 yds for me personally, a low handicap should be able to score 150 yds and in