2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Has anybody played Westfields lately? I played it for the first time 2 weeks ago, and came away very very meh on it, I had heard so much love and finally got out but really thought the course was forgettable at best. Nothing really stuck out to me other than the fact that it seemed they try hard to put off a country club vibe. I am curious if I am totally off on this.

Yeah i was bummed I wasted a golf day on that course.

I know most courses have struggle with this abnormal “summer”. Hell, private courses have been just as bad.

However, I could of stayed closer to home and played somewhere cheaper. But got to play with a friend so that is starting to be more important than the courses.

I think that is more so the problem I had. At that price point comes expectations, and they were not met in the least. I went out after work at 3pm and it was still 60 bucks lol. Luckily it was a gift card so I wasn't too bummed about it, just expected way more. Even with the conditions, I just found it to be pretty boring and run of the mill.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Where else do you play in fairfax county? Ive still been unable to find a go to course to play. I more often than not end up going west to gainesville etc to play way more than I do around here.

I havent played Westfields in years because of the conditioning. No matter the year, the condition goes to S anytime after July. Just seems like they spend way less money on maintenance than other places - but man the attitude of everyone that works there, you'd think you had pulled up to Augusta. The fairways usually end up just being covered in unhealed divots and on certain holes, there are collection areas in the fairway that essentially become unplayable. Dont think its just this year, its like that mid-late season. I still go there for all my fittings but I dont play there.

If you guys are looking for other places in FFX County, Twin Lakes is a good spot. I havent played there this year but for a muni its usually in good shape and they have two courses. Any time you guys want to meet up there let me know. Burke Lake is an 18 hole par 3 with a really great range, its my go to range esp on weekend mornings.

Pulled the clubs out last night for the first time since Scotland, two weeks of not touching a club. My confidence is just sky high right now. Funny though, on the trip I played a lot of shots with the ball mid stance or even a little back, shaft lean, nice easy swing. Playing shots like that now make me feel like I'm getting such consistent contact.

Right? I felt like the attitude and atmosphere at the clubhouse and workers I was about to set off on RTJ, or Creighton Farms or something of that nature……but the course itself reminded me of basically Prince William Golf Course lol.

Ill keep you updated when I head to Twin Lakes, I like playing there a few times a year as its usually a good experience and its really close to my house.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Got out to Worthington yesterday and played 18 with Meat Dom, C.Free, and a random meatspacer. Turns out, C.Free knew the guy from playing a lot at Northwest. We played from the whites, which were interesting overall with 2-3 of the holes beginning on the red tees and 1, maybe 2, hole(s) beginning right next to the blues. Note to self: maybe look at the blues next time.

Dom played fantastic. He drove the ball through the fairway a few times, especially when the dew started evaporating. C.Free played really well, overall. Rando Bill played better than I realized when I counted up his card and he shot 79.

I had episodes of good golf and bad golf. Was topping and thinning just about every other shot during the front 9. Finally started coming together on the back 9.

Some highlights, that I can recall:

On the Par 3 6th hole. Both Dom and I hit beautiful tee shots to about 6 feet of the pin. C.Free was 12 feet right and Bill was short of the green. 1 birdie, a 3 putt bogey, and a couple Pars were the result. I was the bogey of the group... ow.

Par 3 8th hole. I shoot the flag at 156 but it is tucked behind the bunker on the left. I called it a sucker pin and played my 23 degree Hybrid. I had little roll as it hit and went about 5 yards up on the front right side of the green. Dom caught the break and had 8 feet up the hill, I don’t recall what he made, C.Free got a bit too much of the ball and the break as he had a funky downhill slider just off the back ridge of the green. I made another Bogey with another 3-Jack. Bill played for the pin but ended up in the bunker. 4-5 more yards and he would’ve likely been right next to the hole.

The 9th was fun. I decided to holster ‘Bruno’, which is my nickname for my driver and pull 4 wood instead. I don’t know why, I just don’t trust hitting my driver there. We’re having some fun banter as we waited on every tee box. Finally I asked them, “think it’s time for an 827 gangsta drop?” To which Bill was like “what?” Flipped the ball out of my hand onto the tee box, lightly flicked the tee that I was going to use out of my hand away from the tee box and got lined up. Got the ball perfectly, but just lightly left into the rough. Unfortunately, this aggravated my back/hip but it was either do that and get the idea to STAY DOWN or just keep sucking. Made a 6 to finish the front 9 in 51.

Onto 10, decided Bruno had a long enough timeout and hit a dead pull into the left fairway bunker. I’m playing to get it somewhere near the green, but ended up getting it nearly clean and into the water on the right. C.Free is in the right side of the fairway and hits a gorgeous approach to the green. I saw it hit near the hole and then nothing but I said that was a great shot. Turns out, he holed it from the fairway for Eagle. I made 7.

Par 4 14th. I am in perfect position in the fairway after my tee shot. Dom drives through the fairway, Bill is a bit ahead of my ball. I don’t recall what happened with C.Free. I have 107 to the pin which is front left. Pull 9 iron and hit it great. It lands and ends up 5 feet away from the pin putting up the hill. Dom plays his second and it ends up hitting mine on the way to the cup, causing it to stop at 5 feet short as well. C.Free ends up with another slider on the left of the green. Dom makes his putt for birdie and I go around the cup before the ball drops for a birdie. I believe Bill made bogey after a slightly misplayed shot

17, this one was playing LONG. I pull 23 degree Hybrid because I didn’t like the 4 wood from the distance. Got it about as clean as any shot I hit that day and it doesn’t even make the mini fairway. I guess I should’ve played the 4 Wood, after all.

Ended up shooting 103. We had a nice post round drink in the clubhouse and talked about people we played with, the round, and other random stuff. Finally, we all dispersed. I went to DSG, decided to get a refill dozen of ProV1x’s, a new hat and a glove. I was thinking if a cart bag, but they didn’t have any Ogio bags and I don’t think I would like something like the C-130 from Sun Mountain.

Waited around Frederick after the DSG excursion and met the bulk of my family at Texas Roadhouse for a celebratory birthday dinner. It was a nice time, though the seating was a little off.

Been a nice birthday weekend. I think today will be a laundry and video games day before my sister and brother-in-law arrive for a cookout for the second part of my birthday.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

There's always a critic...

My dinner at Texas Roadhouse consisted of 4 Rolls, a quarter to a third of an Onion Bloomer, an 8 oz New York Strip Steak topped with Sauteed Mushrooms, cooked medium, Steak Fries, and Applesauce. All with a coke. I was the one who set up the party, but did not inform them it was for my birthday. If they would've asked, I would've told them but requested no celebrations or anything along the line. Especially the bull after my back and hip were acting up.

No DQ after dinner run, as I just drove home after thanking everyone for joining. It was a long day, and I was just DONE.

What was off with the seating at Texas Roadhouse?

We had a party of 10 people, we couldn't get everyone on combined tables to make 10. So we had a 6 set in a booth and 4 in the table right beside us. I thought, mistakenly, that my brother in law was joining us hence why I asked for such an arrangement as he is a rather... large dude.

There's always a critic...

My dinner at Texas Roadhouse consisted of 4 Rolls, a quarter to a third of an Onion Bloomer, an 8 oz New York Strip Steak topped with Sauteed Mushrooms, cooked medium, Steak Fries, and Applesauce. All with a coke.

giphy.gif

I’d have had to add their green beans in somehow someway, doe.

Played Westminster today. Carded an 80 from the blues and realistically I should have stayed home. Was hungover and I didn't tee off until 11 AM. I went +5 on the first 3 and then somehow managed to semi pull the round together. Neat course with a bunch of funky holes and the crown of the greens made it very difficult to keep it on the greens. Next time I play Westminster I will do three things: warm-up, not drink a bottle of Ketel One the night before, and leave my driver in the bag.

Titleist 917 D3 8.5 Degree 

Tour Edge 3 Wood 15 Degree

Titleist T-MB 2-Iron

735 CM 4-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 

Has anyone else ever noticed that Bryson uses single length clubs and swings on one plane? I can't believe I missed it.

Is he the one that is Arnold Palmer's grandson? I hope they talk more about that next week...

In all seriousness, if theres one thing I love about watching Bryson play well its that blowhard oldsters like Kostis and Faldo cant stand watching him play well.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Played Westminster today... the crown of the greens made it very difficult to keep it on the greens

You just jogged my memory, pigpen. When I first thought about your question, I had another golf course in my head. One I didn't particularly like. Westminster National used to be called Bear Creek back in the day. That's a fun golf course, and definitely has a bunch of turtle back/inverted saucer greens. I still don't have any useful advice to share with you, but enjoy!

Did anyone see the story last week about Paul Flart? Security guard who documented his farts online for 6 months and then got fired?

Anyway, they're going to be talking to him on 98 Rock at 8:45 this morning, so you're going to want to tune in for that.

Paul Flart.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Has anyone else ever noticed that Bryson uses single length clubs and swings on one plane? I can't believe I missed it.

Is he the one that is Arnold Palmer's grandson? I hope they talk more about that next week...

In all seriousness, if theres one thing I love about watching Bryson play well its that blowhard oldsters like Kostis and Faldo cant stand watching him play well.

I'm starting to really hate on McCord.

All the chirps and sounds and yesterday he's just going off on, "that's a 47 foot putt. Yup. I'd say 47. Looks like it's 47 feet. I'm going with 47 feet. What do you think Dottie?"

Dotte : "I got nothing."

"McCord : "maybe 48 feet. They're telling me it's 52 feet and 7 inches."

Riveting.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Did anyone see the story last week about Paul Flart? Security guard who documented his farts online for 6 months and then got fired?

Anyway, they're going to be talking to him on 98 Rock at 8:45 this morning, so you're going to want to tune in for that.

Paul Flart.

I think I watched every single one of his farts, either Friday or Saturday evening this past weekend. Great stuff.

Riveting.

The CBS coverage is just awful. They are doing longform interviews while there's golf going on - then they go back and watch everything on delay.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

The CBS crew is the worst, by far. They're stuck in a very old school broadcast. I worry that the ratings bump they are getting this year from Tiger will paper over the negative feedback.

The other week I listened to an older NLU podcast with Joe Buck, which was done shortly before the US Open. The most interesting thing was an obvious one that I never thought about: the commentators just sit in a trailer and someone tells them what to talk about. He contrasted it to baseball or football, where he sits in the stadium, sees every play, and calls what he sees. In golf, he sits in a trailer and watches screens, and is at the total mercy of the producers to cut to the right video and tell him what's going on. The producers may not cut to the most interesting thing for him to talk about, or may not tell him the proper info about the video he is being shown. There's so much that is entirely out of his hands.

What I'm getting at is that we are always complaining about the commentators at CBS, but in reality it's probably the producers that stink.

The producers have nothing to do with McCord's blathering. Also, McCord is on the course.

The play-by-play guys might as well be on mars. But, there are guys in towers and walking.

Not sure where Nantz is at the Masters. I always thought he was in a tower near the 18th, but he could be in a trailer.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I wasn't specifically responding to your McCord gripe, though it probably still applies since the producers let him do that. It seems like the CBS commentators have all been there forever, and the broadcast centers around their personalities rather than having their personalities enhance the broadcast itself.

Now that I recently shared how proud I am of not changing putters for the better part of 2 full seasons, I kicked that Odyssey 1W like a bad habit.

I know it has nothing to do with the putter itself, but sometimes you just get to the point where you can't keep looking down at a club anymore. It boiled over that point on Thursday for the 1W. IDGAF about power lipping the second putt on 18. I was still verbally assaulting myself while swiping it in a fit of wispy rage. Missing the eagle putt, and both birdie putts on the previous 2 holes chapped my a$s so hard tho. I might as well have carried the putter to my car and put it in the trunk separately from my bag, because there was zero chance it was ever going back in at that point.

I stopped at GG on Friday not for the shiggles, but to find my next victim. At this point I've gotten a pretty good idea of what works from a head shape perspective, and what is a total nightmare. Basically anything with a round back, or really elongated, it just totally Fs up my perception. I can't aim anything like that to save my life. Faced balanced also turns out to be a no-go. So I needed something with a shorter front to back profile, and square lines. I rolled a bunch of stuff, and ended up walking out with this. I like that it has a squared off anser style shape in the middle, so I can line it up well. The plumbers neck gives it a little bit of toe hang, so that's cool as well. I also bought it an inch longer than I've typically played my putters, because I like to stand more upright, and the longer putter allows me to get a little more connection of the upper arms to my torso without me having to bend more.

2gnnz4.jpg

I took it out to the practice green at Hobbits for a little while on Saturday, and Sunday. Pretty good feels so far. Ladder drill was a breeze. I like that it's got a firmer feel than the 1W did. Sometimes I think distance control gets tough, particularly on long putts, when the feel gets too soft.

After I got through my typical stuff I like to practice yesterday, I dropped down to a single ball went around practicing putts like I was on the course. I was trying to really read my putts, use the line on the ball, go through routine, etc. It's good to do that sometimes. I was walking my putts, and really trying to find the fall line at the hole and pay attention to where my ball was in relation to that. I hit some really nice putts doing that.

I had a captive audience as well.

2gnoan.jpg

I rolled a bunch of stuff, and ended up walking out with this. I like that it has a squared off anser style shape in the middle, so I can line it up well. The plumbers neck gives it a little bit of toe hang, so that's cool as well.

Looks cool to me, I like that model a lot. I think this is why I get along with the Indy so much. Its got an anser-type front that I like looking at and seems to align really well - but it has the stability of a mallet with the 45g weights in the back.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

This is lolbad

AP Sources: PGA plans major changes for revamped FedEx Cup.

Among them: The No. 1 player will start the Tour Championship at 10-under par.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*